Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6001 of 6436 Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

Well I have the ST30 and only see flicker on bluray 24p because I have it set to 48Hz setting - at 60Hz it goes away but adds the 3:2 pulldown.
Glad you found a TV set which pleases you.

I don't think what Jigsore is referring to has anything to do with 48Hz mode. I see the same thing on my ST30 and I'm at 60Hz. I'm pretty sure this is power limiting in action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6436 Old 03-17-2012, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post

I don't think what Jigsore is referring to has anything to do with 48Hz mode. I see the same thing on my ST30 and I'm at 60Hz. I'm pretty sure this is power limiting in action.

Exactly! I'm only comparing what I see to the look of a 48hz source.
post #6003 of 6436 Old 03-17-2012, 07:10 AM

Now that more information on the VT50 is available, is there still a definitive answer as to whether it's worth waiting for? I've never owned a top-of-the-range model before, will there really be that much a difference for someone like me if I just get the VT30? I mean in terms of picture quality.
post #6004 of 6436 Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed1983 View Post

Now that more information on the VT50 is available, is there still a definitive answer as to whether it's worth waiting for? I've never owned a top-of-the-range model before, will there really be that much a difference for someone like me if I just get the VT30? I mean in terms of picture quality.

While yours is certainly a reasonable question, I think it cannot be answered with any precision because: 1) trying to determine a future model's picture quality compared with the previous model based on printed features is not really possible and 2) only you can determine whether "someone like me" can tell the difference between the two sets.

If you are worried you'll miss out on something, my advice is to wait until the VT50's first hit the showrooms and have a look yourself. At that time, there will probably still be a few VT30's still out there (in fact, there's at least one or two people on this thread who'd gladly sell you theirs) so I have no doubt you'll still be able to get the display you want.

(PS: As a new poster, please don't be overly discouraged by some of the flaws of the VT30 elucidated in this thread--keep in mind, this place is also populated by those with keen eyes/finicky tastes and there are plenty of satisfied users out there who haven't experienced/perceived those reported issues. Doesn't make anyone's point of view any less valid--just pointing out that perceptions differ amongst reasonable people. As always, YMMV.)
post #6005 of 6436 Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Thanks for your valuable input

Any idea on how much the 50 or 55 inch VT50 will be in the UK?
post #6006 of 6436 Old 03-17-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

It turns out that this problem only happens when Marantz 7005 HDMI output #1 (ARC) is connected to VT30 input #1 (ARC). When I change the input or the output, it goes away.

FIne with me, I guess, since I never use the ARC anyway. But so odd.

Another member on another thread told me what this is. It seems to be the hdmi "cliff effect"- sparkles and drop-out due to the added resistance an AVR puts on an hdmi signal and inadequate gauge HDMi cable at fairly long lengths. Just FYI.
post #6007 of 6436 Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Considering that the ST50 seems to be a significant improvement over the ST30, I'd wait for the VT50.
post #6008 of 6436 Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM

This might be a dumb question but does the phosphor film on a plamsa wear out?

When I first got my VT30 it had little issue with ghosting but for the past month now its been ghosting a lot more easily and I think actually have some faint burn-in in a few places. I'm not sure if has anything to do with how cold it has been or not. My room sometimes gets to 40-50F (Japanese apts. have hardly no insulation). I'm having to be much more careful now than when I first got it.
post #6009 of 6436 Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vix86 View Post

This might be a dumb question but does the phosphor film on a plamsa wear out?

When I first got my VT30 it had little issue with ghosting but for the past month now its been ghosting a lot more easily and I think actually have some faint burn-in in a few places. I'm not sure if has anything to do with how cold it has been or not. My room sometimes gets to 40-50F (Japanese apts. have hardly no insulation). I'm having to be much more careful now than when I first got it.

Modern plasma phosphors are supposed to be good for tens of thousands of hours--far more TV than the average home viewer would use for years and years.

I think your issues are probably due to something else.
post #6010 of 6436 Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Hello all. This is my first post in this forum although I have been reading it for about a year now. I recently purchased a 65" VT30. It is a January 2012 build. I ran slides for 200 hours to age the panel for calibration. I am currently using D-Nice recommended settings until then. I have no noticeable issues with the set so far. It appears that I was very lucky to get a set without the majority of the issues that I have read about on here and in other forums. My question is in regards to flicker. I only notice this when viewing in standard 2d. I have tried changing to 96hz in hope that it might resolve the issue somewhat but it is still noticeable to me. Of course my wife is not sensitive to it so she thinks I am crazy. So here is my question. Is there any disadvantage to running in 96hz over 60hz? Although the higher setting does not resolve the flicker issue, it does seem to improve it a bit. Thanks in advance.
post #6011 of 6436 Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Modern plasma phosphors are supposed to be good for tens of thousands of hours--far more TV than the average home viewer would use for years and years.

I think your issues are probably due to something else.

Thanks for the reply. What would you suggest is the problem. My TV has pixel drift (or whatever its called, the term evades me at the moment) enabled so I doubt its that. Its still under warranty so I may try calling and finding out. I use it as a PC monitor but like I said, I'm very careful about static stuff (hidden toolbar, browsing in full screen, screensaver after 3min, etc). It seems the ghosting is worse when the screen moves from light to dark, vice versa, or like having something light surrounded by dark stuff and then removing the thing. Like even leaving something on the screen for a few seconds will leave a ghosting. Maybe its normal operation, but I just don't remember it being like this till maybe 1-2 months ago. It has at least 200 hours on it now (I'd have to check when I get home).
post #6012 of 6436 Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak1209 View Post

Hello all. This is my first post in this forum although I have been reading it for about a year now. I recently purchased a 65" VT30. It is a January 2012 build. I ran slides for 200 hours to age the panel for calibration. I am currently using D-Nice recommended settings until then. I have no noticeable issues with the set so far. It appears that I was very lucky to get a set without the majority of the issues that I have read about on here and in other forums. My question is in regards to flicker. I only notice this when viewing in standard 2d. I have tried changing to 96hz in hope that it might resolve the issue somewhat but it is still noticeable to me. Of course my wife is not sensitive to it so she thinks I am crazy. So here is my question. Is there any disadvantage to running in 96hz over 60hz? Although the higher setting does not resolve the flicker issue, it does seem to improve it a bit. Thanks in advance.

How do you change hz on this model? They are greed out. I want to try and change to see if it helps flicker I see durning hockey games.
post #6013 of 6436 Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartin View Post

How do you change hz on this model? They are greed out. I want to try and change to see if it helps flicker I see durning hockey games.

I was able to make the adjustment in the menu for blu-ray playback. As I do not watch regular TV programming, I cannot comment on how you might go about it for that. Sorry.
post #6014 of 6436 Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM

About to purchase a 65 inch vt 230 tomorrow

How many of you have used d nice settings and not turned back?

Im a bit worried about the burn in process. My first plasma.
post #6015 of 6436 Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

I've used the DNice break-in and settings for both my 151 and VT30 and it's worked out fine.

Don't worry about having a plasma--just use some common sense and care in the early hours.

Don't forget to enjoy the TV!
post #6016 of 6436 Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 AM
gce

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

Yeah, what mvp said. I've used D's setup and settings on my G25 and VT30 and both look great!
post #6017 of 6436 Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

I've used the DNice break-in and settings for both my 151 and VT30 and it's worked out fine.

Don't worry about having a plasma--just use some common sense and care in the early hours.

Don't forget to enjoy the TV!

I stand by this fella. Use it smart, don't go take a **** for 1hour and leave a big fat logo on the middle of the screen.

I've been gaming on my set 100% last week, only watched 1 movie, STAR WARS Episode 4. Played about 55 hours of MASS EFFECT 3 since it came out. No issues. I just run a 15-30mins of avatar after long gaming sessions (in case I don't switch game) or the screen wash for a few mins. Problem solved
post #6018 of 6436 Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizyo View Post

I stand by this fella. Use it smart, don't go take a **** for 1hour and leave a big fat logo on the middle of the screen.

I've been gaming on my set 100% last week, only watched 1 movie, STAR WARS Episode 4. Played about 55 hours of MASS EFFECT 3 since it came out. No issues. I just run a 15-30mins of avatar after long gaming sessions (in case I don't switch game) or the screen wash for a few mins. Problem solved

What settings are you using for gaming?

fdsfds
post #6019 of 6436 Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Another member on another thread told me what this is. It seems to be the hdmi "cliff effect"- sparkles and drop-out due to the added resistance an AVR puts on an hdmi signal and inadequate gauge HDMi cable at fairly long lengths. Just FYI.

Update: I'm not sure if that's what mine is, because I tried a new Audioquest hdmi cable, Marantz input 1 to TV input 2, and got the sparkles/snow again...waiting for 24awg Monoprice cable to arrive.
post #6020 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

how do you access 10 point gamma? i have a 65vt 30
post #6021 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwizard View Post

how do you access 10 point gamma? i have a 65vt 30

Please see the FAQ for a link that will explain how to do this. (it will be under the DNice settings section)
post #6022 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM

First time post but have read this forum for a while,great site.
I just bought the VT6530(Nov build) and have only had it for a few days and love the picture.
Only issue I have seen so far is with watching HD Sports(Hockey/Basketball) in that there is a annoying flicker/flash of the screen every few minutes.
I have checked a few games and isolated the flicker and watched it frame by frame and the whole screen will burst into a white screen burst which would correspond to when a photgrapher would have snapped a picture.

So my question is this just related to Plasma's or do LED\\LCD tv's do this as well?
Could there be a hardware/software fix for this or does a person just have to live with this on newer Display's.

I watch 70% Sports 30% Movies so am not sure what I should do.
This was a big expense for me as I replace my Tv every 10 years so my last Tv was a rear projection 1080i Tosiba 57 inch.

peter
post #6023 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's quite easily possible that what you are seeing is a photographer taking a picture. For hockey and basketball, most arenas have camera lights in the ceiling of the building for the professional photographers and when they take a picture it sets of the flashes in the building, which is likely what you are seeing on tv. As the camera flash is in the roof and very bright, it would likely show on the entire picture being broadcasted on tv. Even at the games in person, those flashes can get annoying.
post #6024 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizyo View Post

This is what I don't understand. I played 30+ hours of ME3, max two or three hours at a time with slides/pixel flipper/TV and I have the weapon windows burned in on my screen...STILL...after probably a 100 hours of slides and wipes and flippers since I finished my playthrough. Sure it's faded, but 30 hours of a game broken up in to chunks should not cause burn-in according to people here, and yet here it is.

My Food Network logo is still visible on the darkest green slide, and I haven't had that channel on in two weeks.

I broke in my display the right way, have used D-Nice since the beginning, have over 1000 hours, and my TV is ****ed after six months. I'm at a loss for words and am absolutely livid that I have a three grand brick in my living room that I am scared to death watching or playing anything on.
post #6025 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

This is what I don't understand. I played 30+ hours of ME3, max two or three hours at a time with slides/pixel flipper/TV and I have the weapon windows burned in on my screen...STILL...after probably a 100 hours of slides and wipes and flippers since I finished my playthrough. Sure it's faded, but 30 hours of a game broken up in to chunks should not cause burn-in according to people here, and yet here it is.

My Food Network logo is still visible on the darkest green slide, and I haven't had that channel on in two weeks.

I broke in my display the right way, have used D-Nice since the beginning, have over 1000 hours, and my TV is ****ed after six months. I'm at a loss for words and am absolutely livid that I have a three grand brick in my living room that I am scared to death watching or playing anything on.

Have you been using the scrolling bar? My VT was terrible with image retention.
post #6026 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I'd wait it out. Panasonic made some pretty big changes to their TV's this year and early reviews of the ST50 are showing that their higher end models should be nothing short of amazing. One website is already calling the ST50 the possible best value TV of 2012 because the picture was that good.
post #6027 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM

So tempted to pull the trigger on the p65vt30.....
post #6028 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Do it!!!!! The world will end this year enjoy it while u can

Need. More. Bass.
post #6029 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

Same issue here -but on a smaller scale with the DC logo burn in. This is absolute bull$$t.
post #6030 of 6436 Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post

So tempted to pull the trigger on the p65vt30.....

Mine is for sale...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page