Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 208 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6211 of 6436 Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonip_15 View Post

Hello everybody! I'm a Soldier just barely getting back from playing in the sand box my past 6 months deployed came quick because of the time I spent reading and doing research on TVs so that I'll be prepared when I get back. I'm finally here and I'm now as confused as ever. I have about $2800 to spend and if you're given a chance, would you pick a 65VT30 or wait for a 65GT50? How would the price difference compare? I'm not an obsessed HD guy but I want the best PQ when watching sports and movies. I won't be playing games on this set. My viewing distance is about 12 to 13 feet. My living room is between bright and dark. How's 3D and SD viewing on on the VT30? I saw an uncalibrated VT30 at BB and it was excellent. Please help me!

I think sizewise, you are absolutely correct: 65 inches is the way to go. Most of the published standards (e.g. SMPTE, THX, etc.) would suggest that your viewing angle with 55 inches at that distance would be rather small.

I've found the 3D viewing on the VT30 quite good, with no loss of signal or stuttering on the best 3D material. (Not a big fan of 3D however--just find the effects intrusive most of the time). I've had no issues at all with brightness in a rather bright room. To me, SD looks bad (compared to HD) on any large set regardless of how good it is. I basically won't watch it (except for upcoded DVD's).

As far as VT v. GT: I certainly can't say for certain until the reviews come out, but in the last generation (30's), several professional reviewers felt the GT did not represent a big enough bump from the ST line to justify the price difference. OTOH, the bump from ST to VT did. As a consequence, magazines like Home Theater and S & V gave editors choices to the ST and VT.

Will these relative differences translate into the 50's--who knows. (Knowing me, though, if price were not an issue, I'd get the VT because I'd hate to know what I was missing )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6436 Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8shon View Post

Should I get the upcoming Panasonic VT Plasma or the WT LED LCD if I'm planning on spending about 30-40% of my time on it gaming? My Sharp Aquos just died after 4 years and I am considering getting one of these two new Panasonic sets. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How much do you game per day and how long are the sessions? IR is the issue here.
post #6213 of 6436 Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUbers View Post

So I've run this "snow" pattern and continued the slides overnight -- 8 hours a night -

the ghosted image (IR) is less by about 50%,but still there. I'm pretty sure over time this will go away hopefully, but may need a few months.

Will continue to post -- distressing that so little would cause persistent image retention.

I remeber when I bought my display model 500m. The words Palladia were embossed on the rt corner of the TV. Got a huge discount , thats why I bought it.

Dnice saw it before he calibrated and told me it would "burn off after a thousan hours of so......

He was right. This tv is used in my bedroom and I can't even see it or a trace of Palladia anywhere. And I did nothing to help .

SO I guess the moral of the story is you'll be ok. As long as you watch CNN on another tv\\
post #6214 of 6436 Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
lakinsdad:

That's good to know -- thanks for the note. Knowing that it may be gone in a few months makes me feel a lot better. Everyone in my household has learned a very big lesson on plasma technology, the hard way.
post #6215 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I went ahead and bought the VT30 65 and it's a beauty! I bought a wall mount but chickened out at the thought of doing that so I just put it on my stand. I love this thing! No buzzing (only if I put my ear to the tv) and I absolutely love the 24fps /96hz playback that was always messed up on my Samsung plasma. Went ahead and bought a 2nd pair of 3D glasses too. I'm amazed at how good the picture quality is with just THX settings. It's gonna be hard to convince myself to get this professionally calibrated when it already looks perfect. Only part that sucks about putting it on the stand is there's no room for my center speaker, have to get a floor stand for that.

I took a lot of heat from everyone I know for buying this big a TV but when they see it suddenly they understand why I wanted to go 65

Here's some pics:

OLD SETUP

NEW SETUP

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #6216 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That looks awesome,where did you get it and how much was it?
post #6217 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM

I just bought a 65VT30 and I think it might have a problem.
When I play a DVD the black letter box bars have an appearance of green static
noise. This is only seen at a very close distance as the green "static" is very small but throughout the entire letterbox. This does not happen with a letterbox cable program. I have tried two different DVD players and different DVDS.
I have an older Pioneer elite PRO940 that does not display this behavior when using the same player. Please advise.
post #6218 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 35
[quote=OmegaR3D;21994387] I went ahead and bought the VT30 65 and it's a beauty! I'm amazed at how good the picture quality is with just THX settings. It's gonna be hard to convince myself to get this professionally calibrated when it already looks perfect. QUOTE]

I thought THX looked great as well. But eventually I used D-Nice's settings for Custom and liked the PQ even better that way than THX. Try it for yourself.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21184215
post #6219 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM

[quote=BillP;21995541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

I went ahead and bought the VT30 65 and it's a beauty! I'm amazed at how good the picture quality is with just THX settings. It's gonna be hard to convince myself to get this professionally calibrated when it already looks perfect. QUOTE]

I thought THX looked great as well. But eventually I used D-Nice's settings for Custom and liked the PQ even better that way than THX. Try it for yourself.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21184215

Thanks, I bookmarked that for down the line after a 100 hours or so. This is actually my first plasma I don't feel the need to break in with color slides as I haven't seen any IR yet. My Samsung would still get more IR on menus after a year and a half than this does on Day 1.

My panel is August 2011, should I update the firmware? I didn't see any fixes that looked important.

post #6220 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevis View Post

noise. This is only seen at a very close distance as the green "static" is very small but throughout the entire letterbox. This does not happen with a letterbox cable program. I have tried two different DVD players and different DVDS.
I have an older Pioneer elite PRO940 that does not display this behavior when using the same player. Please advise.

What display mode are you using and what is your brightness set to? Try to Turn the brightness down a few clicks until the letterbox bars no longer have the green dots. Make sure you are using thx or custom and not vivid.

I don't think you have a problem.
post #6221 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 35
[quote=OmegaR3D;21996351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Thanks, I bookmarked that for down the line after a 100 hours or so. This is actually my first plasma I don't feel the need to break in with color slides as I haven't seen any IR yet. My Samsung would still get more IR on menus after a year and a half than this does on Day 1.

My panel is August 2011, should I update the firmware? I didn't see any fixes that looked important.

I ddin't use the break in slides either, and have had no IR issues.
post #6222 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM

My understanding is that The main purpose of using the slides is to get the best results out of using D-nice's settings, not to help prevent IR
post #6223 of 6436 Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

My understanding is that The main purpose of using the slides is to get the best results out of using D-nice's settings, not to help prevent IR

And to evenly age the phosphors, which does decrease the chance of IR or burn in.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #6224 of 6436 Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevis View Post

If memory serves, this has been reported before, and is a result of the settings on the television (usually brightness or contrast are too high).

Try the THX default mode and see if the problem ceases. The DNice settings would be a good test as well.
post #6225 of 6436 Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've had my VT30 for a decent amount of time now, and am loving it, and wanted to share a few observations. These all may be moot points once it's professionally calibrated, but it's what I've found after my own very basic setting modifications. This is a comparison to two older Panasonic Plasma's I own and still use, a 42" PWD6UY and a TCP42C2.

The biggest item about my VT30 driving me nuts - the bizarre rainbow flash I get if I move my eyes quickly across the screen. I can easily repeat this, simply by moving my eyes back and forth quickly. I don't have this issue on either of my old plasmas.

The second issue - the VT30 is dim. Compared to both of my old sets, it's a challenge to get the VT30 to be - or even feel - anywhere as bright as my other two sets.

What I do like is the black levels. They're easily deeper than both of my older sets, which makes sense given both their age and technology.

I can't wait to get my VT30 calibrated. As much as I like it, I know I'm missing the overall picture quality that this device can put out. Shows and movies feel flat and dull, and when I try to tweak it myself, they look unrealistic.

These are simply my personal observations. Again, I'll post once I get the VT30 calibrated. I keep hearing how incredible the PQ is once it's calibrated, I'm very excited to see it!

-JR
post #6226 of 6436 Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

I've had my VT30 for a decent amount of time now, and am loving it, and wanted to share a few observations. These all may be moot points once it's professionally calibrated, but it's what I've found after my own very basic setting modifications. This is a comparison to two older Panasonic Plasma's I own and still use, a 42" PWD6UY and a TCP42C2.

The biggest item about my VT30 driving me nuts - the bizarre rainbow flash I get if I move my eyes quickly across the screen. I can easily repeat this, simply by moving my eyes back and forth quickly. I don't have this issue on either of my old plasmas.

The second issue - the VT30 is dim. Compared to both of my old sets, it's a challenge to get the VT30 to be - or even feel - anywhere as bright as my other two sets.

What I do like is the black levels. They're easily deeper than both of my older sets, which makes sense given both their age and technology.

I can't wait to get my VT30 calibrated. As much as I like it, I know I'm missing the overall picture quality that this device can put out. Shows and movies feel flat and dull, and when I try to tweak it myself, they look unrealistic.

These are simply my personal observations. Again, I'll post once I get the VT30 calibrated. I keep hearing how incredible the PQ is once it's calibrated, I'm very excited to see it!

-JR

Have you tried D-Nice settings? Wondering what you think if you have. Would be nice to be able to compare calibration set-up to his. I am using D-nice settings. I have nothing to compare them too unless I get a calibration guy to come in. Just wondering as I have not taken that step yet. I'm just coming up to 200 hrs. I like D-nice settings. I don't believe I will ever see the perfect picture because of all the variables. Good to hear what others try.
post #6227 of 6436 Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info guys, I went ahead and bought the VT30 65 and it's a beauty! I bought a wall mount but chickened out at the thought of doing that so I just put it on my stand. I love this thing! No buzzing (only if I put my ear to the tv) and I absolutely love the 24fps /96hz playback that was always messed up on my Samsung plasma. Went ahead and bought a 2nd pair of 3D glasses too. I'm amazed at how good the picture quality is with just THX settings. It's gonna be hard to convince myself to get this professionally calibrated when it already looks perfect. Only part that sucks about putting it on the stand is there's no room for my center speaker, have to get a floor stand for that.

I took a lot of heat from everyone I know for buying this big a TV but when they see it suddenly they understand why I wanted to go 65

Here's some pics:

OLD SETUP

NEW SETUP

You going to do D-Nice settings? I just bought one two months ago. So far so good.
post #6228 of 6436 Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartin View Post

Have you tried D-Nice settings? Wondering what you think if you have. Would be nice to be able to compare calibration set-up to his. I am using D-nice settings. I have nothing to compare them too unless I get a calibration guy to come in. Just wondering as I have not taken that step yet. I'm just coming up to 200 hrs. I like D-nice settings. I don't believe I will ever see the perfect picture because of all the variables. Good to hear what others try.

I'm currently running D-Nice's settings, after faithfully running the slides. I also spent some time tweaking it a bit, using the good ol' Harkness steaming turd technique. I still couldn't get it to where I want it to be. What's interesting is that my old PWD6UY has the natural look I like, but is missing the blacks. the TCP42C2 isn't quite as natural as I'd like, but the black is better. I feel like the VT30 should have the best (or at least better!) of both worlds. Instead it feels like it's "dim". On some viewing - this isn't all that noticable - but on darker shows/movies, like "Game of Thrones", everything washes out and we have to dim the lights in our place to get the brightness to look normal.

I'm a gamer as well, and I've noticed that in games where they allow you to adjust brightness, I'm having to push brightness in game to the 75 out of 100 area, instead of 50 or the like on my other tv's.

I'm hoping that once it's professionally calibrated this issue will go away.

I know that the rainbow (or as called in this forum a while ago - plainbow) won't go away. I'm just shocked that I can finally see it. I don't dare ask my wife, if she isn't noticing it now but does after I see it, I'd be in trouble. It's bizarre and a shame that it's only noticable on the VT30.

-JR
post #6229 of 6436 Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
@JuiceRocket:

Wanted to share my experience after having the set for 3 months. Mine had a 150 hr break in using D-Nice's setting and then was professionally calibrated.

Bottom Line, I love this set, but I agree with JuiceRocket, it requires a dark room to fully appreciate just how good this set can look. Fortunately, I have a dedicated viewing room for this set and light control is not an issue. I would not put this set in my living room. But, in my HT room, I love the black levels and detail that this set provides. I'm coming from a Toshiba DLP set and my wife and I are both in awe every time we watch a show or movie.

Alex
post #6230 of 6436 Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

@JuiceRocket:

Wanted to share my experience after having the set for 3 months. Mine had a 150 hr break in using D-Nice's setting and then was professionally calibrated.

Bottom Line, I love this set, but I agree with JuiceRocket, it requires a dark room to fully appreciate just how good this set can look. Fortunately, I have a dedicated viewing room for this set and light control is not an issue. I would not put this set in my living room. But, in my HT room, I love the black levels and detail that this set provides. I'm coming from a Toshiba DLP set and my wife and I are both in awe every time we watch a show or movie.

Thanks for sharing. Ours is in our family room - so during the day it's fairly washed out. Even at night, with the lights down, it still looks fairly washed out unless it's showing "extreme" content, like Tron. Otherwise things look "dim" or "dull" (color/light wise).

I'll definitely share an update once it's calibrated. Maybe I'll make a "day" mode and a "evening/night" mode for watching content.

-JR
post #6231 of 6436 Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Liked: 18
I'm having my VT30 professionally calibrated using the ISF modes. I understand once this is done that all settings are unalterable. Does this also 'grey out' access to motion smoother and 24p direct in?
post #6232 of 6436 Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Decided I will run D-Nice slides on the weekend while I'm around, power usage is cheaper than so I'll leave it running a good 48 hours straight, after a couple weekends it should be at 100 hours broken in

post #6233 of 6436 Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Ours is in our family room - so during the day it's fairly washed out. Even at night, with the lights down, it still looks fairly washed out unless it's showing "extreme" content, like Tron. Otherwise things look "dim" or "dull" (color/light wise).

I'll definitely share an update once it's calibrated. Maybe I'll make a "day" mode and a "evening/night" mode for watching content.

-JR

Just curious how long you have had your set and what settings you are running? I run mine mostly in THX and sometimes in custom and it looks great even in the daytime. Mine was a bit dim to my preference at first but with age it seems to have brightened the picture. I prefer it over my Samsung C8000 led in my bedroom even in a bright room.

fdsfds
post #6234 of 6436 Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Decided I will run D-Nice slides on the weekend while I'm around, power usage is cheaper than so I'll leave it running a good 48 hours straight, after a couple weekends it should be at 100 hours broken in

Great pictures. What settings did you have the set in in them? Are you running an 11.1 surround setup? Those look like all fronts in your pictures.

fdsfds
post #6235 of 6436 Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Just curious how long you have had your set and what settings you are running? I run mine mostly in THX and sometimes in custom and it looks great even in the daytime. Mine was a bit dim to my preference at first but with age it seems to have brightened the picture. I prefer it over my Samsung C8000 led in my bedroom even in a bright room.

Hi Tom,

I received my set March 8th, ran the "slides" on it for a little over 100 hours, and have been using D-Nice's custom settings ever since. I did try to mess with it using Rich Harkness' technique, but I'm still not entirely pleased with the result. I don't know how many hours are on the set now.

The best example I can give is watching Red Sox baseball. I used to watch Red Sox baseball and the color was very realistic, and natural. I loved night games, since it really gave it that "holy crow - that looks REAL!" as if you were looking through a window. The shadows, highlights from the overhead lights, and detail was perfect.

With my VT30 the detail is there, along with the shadows, but everything is dull. It's almost like the range of brightness and darkness doesn't stretch far enough apart to give it any sort of pop. I'm not talking unrealistic pop, I'm talking realistic dark/light/color pop.

Even though the set looks great at night with the lights dim, it still seems - dull. I've tried to mess with the settings, jack up the brightness, etc., but when I do it begins to look unrealistic, and I loose details on light colored textures.

I'm happy to try other users settings, I suppose I should look back through this thread and the Settings thread to see if I can find other settings that may work. I do plan to have the set professionally calibrated...maybe this will all be corrected once that happens.

-JR
post #6236 of 6436 Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm. I wonder why it looks so dull. Mine pops on almost everything. I watch a lot of baseball in custom mode - not using d-nice's settings - with contrast around 84 and the agc set to 0 in the pro menu. I found d-nice's settings very good for blu-ray's but too dull for normal tv viewing for my tastes. I hope you can find some good settings to get that wow factor you are looking for.

fdsfds
post #6237 of 6436 Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

Hi Tom,

I received my set March 8th, ran the "slides" on it for a little over 100 hours, and have been using D-Nice's custom settings ever since. I did try to mess with it using Rich Harkness' technique, but I'm still not entirely pleased with the result. I don't know how many hours are on the set now.

The best example I can give is watching Red Sox baseball. I used to watch Red Sox baseball and the color was very realistic, and natural. I loved night games, since it really gave it that "holy crow - that looks REAL!" as if you were looking through a window. The shadows, highlights from the overhead lights, and detail was perfect.

With my VT30 the detail is there, along with the shadows, but everything is dull. It's almost like the range of brightness and darkness doesn't stretch far enough apart to give it any sort of pop. I'm not talking unrealistic pop, I'm talking realistic dark/light/color pop.

Even though the set looks great at night with the lights dim, it still seems - dull. I've tried to mess with the settings, jack up the brightness, etc., but when I do it begins to look unrealistic, and I loose details on light colored textures.

I'm happy to try other users settings, I suppose I should look back through this thread and the Settings thread to see if I can find other settings that may work. I do plan to have the set professionally calibrated...maybe this will all be corrected once that happens.

-JR

You have C.A.T.S. Turned off, right?

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #6238 of 6436 Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 AM

I've had my 65VT30 for about 6 months and I have to say I'm still in awe of the picture at times, absolutely stunning.
I appreciate it even more when I see someone else's tv.

What is definitely an unexpected bonus is the sound.
Maybe it's because mine is somewhat enclosed and it acts like a speaker enclosure but the bass is amazing at times.

All in all 5 stars still !

If you haven't had yours calibrated it is definitely worth it, get it done!
post #6239 of 6436 Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Hmmm. I wonder why it looks so dull. Mine pops on almost everything. I watch a lot of baseball in custom mode - not using d-nice's settings - with contrast around 84 and the agc set to 0 in the pro menu. I found d-nice's settings very good for blu-ray's but too dull for normal tv viewing for my tastes. I hope you can find some good settings to get that wow factor you are looking for.

Thanks Tom, interesting to hear that you felt that D-Nice's settings were too dull for normal TV viewing. Did you change all of your settings - or just the contracts and AGC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

You have C.A.T.S. Turned off, right?

Yes, I've got C.A.T.S. off, I'm basically just using D-Nice's settings exactly as they're listed. I'm going to mess around with it again see what I can do.

-JR
post #6240 of 6436 Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Besides turning off all the noise filters and other processing, I changed the contrast to 84, set the agc to 0 and the black extension to 0. I prefer a picture that pops for normal tv viewing. I do watch a lot in thx mode with unaltered settings right now though to keep the contrast down until I get some more hours to it. I only turn it to the custom settings listed above if ther aren't any logos on what I'm watching. Even in thx mode the picture pops though. I've never been so happy with a tv.

fdsfds
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page