Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 210 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6271 of 6439 Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Why would anyone want to do that?

'fresh out' is in 's usually the folks in the classes are already industry pros just taking that one more step. Just seemed like a really great way to quickly network within the industry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6439 Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

I haven't posted here for sometime but wanted to provide some quick feedback after having my 55" VT30 calibrated and home theater audio calibrated this past Monday by one of the best in the industry.

In a word, WOW! I simply cannot believe the level of improvement. Not sure since others have mentioned it definitely making a big difference but I simply was not prepared for the level of difference it truly made. I bought my display last October and waited until now for W. Jeff Meier to calibrate it when doing his calibration tour in Oregon. He's one of the best and I would be happy to share more feedback if someone wants to ask more via a PM. I do want to provide input to everyone wondering if it is worth the cost that I was using the recommended D-nice settings that improved my picture past the provided THX setting so it wasn't like I felt my PQ was horrible. Still I never felt like the PQ had the wow factor it should being the top of the line plasma display from Panasonic so widely reviewed in a positive light for the most part. Yes, the display like any has flaws but the pop to the PQ is now where it should be.

Here is Jeff's information for those interested:

www.accucalhd.com
www.homecinemaguru.com (blog)

He is truly that good. All the doubt wondering if it was going to be worth the cost simply vanished quickly once I was able to experience the PQ more since Monday. It was so much worth the wait. I truly can't wait to watch the best of my blu-rays again just to experience the improvement. The picture has a level of depth and 3 dimensional quality to it that can't believe let alone the accuracy with the colors, contrast, gamma, etc. And the extra hundred to do the audio was easily also worth it. I only had the video scheduled but since he had time after asking him questions on what he could improve, I couldn't help but have him tweak the audio as well. After all the work is done, he provides a professional report detailing before and after data.

Long story short, I recommend to anyone that hasn't had their display calibrated to do it even if satisfied but feeling like it doesn't have the pop or wow factor it should. That is if the calibrator is up to a high standard to truly make a difference. I have read some say that the calibration may add the extra 15% or so improvement over the D-nice settings. All I can say is even though it is subjective and hard to put a percentage improvement on things in life knowing each person views things differently, my impression is that the percentage improvement is much greater than I was led to believe when asking those having a calibration performed what they thought. I am not exaggerating to get replies or responses but more letting everyone know that I truly feel I have a totally new display installed in my home theater room. Of a side note if anyone is interested, Jeff was the one that was supposed to help calibrate the displays that Value Electronics used last year as a shootout but he was not available at the time. I can provide more through a PM if interested. He's done some very highend calibrations including those in the business.

Oh, I know Htwaits will likely reply telling me to post my calibration results in the cal thread . By the way, thanks Htwaits since you recommended I wait for Jeff Meier months ago when I asked you via a PM. You were right, he's that good and one of the very best! Anyhow I intend to add a review in the calibration thread soon when time permits, just wanted to let VT30 owners here know my experience. I just received an early Christmas present.

Happy viewing!

Robert

I could not agree more. I was very happy with my 55 VT 30 before the calibration. There is no question that this is one awesome panel. But post calibration, simply WOW, I have also been going back and watching some of my best Blu Rays just to immerse myself in what a real HT experience can be and to enjoy every minute of it. I agree in every area, black range, color accuracy, gamma, pop, and what is often hard to define that 3-D feeling that you are one with the image, is just spot on. I don't know if I would in the past with other models but if you have this panel I would also highly recommend getting a professional calibration. Thinking about how you might spend a few hundred dollars if you already have a lot invested in an HT set up you could not spend your money more wisely IMHO. Enjoy!
post #6273 of 6439 Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Where can I find the oft-referenced D-Nice settings?
post #6274 of 6439 Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

got a new router...vt30 65" will not connect although it recognizes new network
name...I checked all connections and they re solid...any suggestions to get Viera to install?
Thanks

Anyone???
post #6275 of 6439 Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710
post #6276 of 6439 Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Thank you!
post #6277 of 6439 Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Thank you!

Be aware...a lot of people take these settings to be gospel, but they are not. I'm sure D-Nice would tell you the same. Sets vary and for best results need to be dialed in individually. On my television, they got me close, but in a number of places I had a deltaE above 10. Red was way, way, way too high.
post #6278 of 6439 Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The FAQ also contains some information about the DNice settings you might find useful.
post #6279 of 6439 Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmereos View Post

@robertrobert;
I have had 55VT30 since February and I love the picture. I can't convince myself to have it calibrated; especially since people in South Florida don't have the best reputation, but I can only imagine what you guys are saying as to how the picture can be improved. I love my picture and can't believe how awesome it is and I don't even use D-nices tweaks; except I did run the burn in he suggested. Maybe when I have a some extra cash laying around I will look again through this thread to find a local ISF person. Thanks again for the recommendation. I am definitely going to add this task to my list.

You definitely won't regret having your display calibrated if you decide to do it. I was thinking it was good enough with some saying it provides the final 15% improvement but I found the percent is much higher. It's subjective and maybe not a big deal to some but I would think those would buy the lower prices plasmas instead of the VT series. However if you care about getting the absolute best picture, it is so worth it. I'm really glad I decided to since spending that much can cause one to think it may be a waste of funds.

You should check out the links I provided of the Jeff Meier. He does tours of various states and might be doing Florida for all I know or he might be able to recommend one to you that is worthy.

Good luck!

Robert
post #6280 of 6439 Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post

I too am getting my VT30 professionally calibrated. Did your calibrator leave you with the ISF day/night modes or THX/Cinema?

He used the customer mode setting. My environment is controlled for light so no real need for both day/night. Jeff Meier did tell me that he found ways around some of the software roadblocks that other calibrators haven't to be able to fully calibrate the VT30.

I'm sure you will really love your PQ once calibrated.
post #6281 of 6439 Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwright View Post

I could not agree more. .........I don't know if I would in the past with other models but if you have this panel I would also highly recommend getting a professional calibration. Thinking about how you might spend a few hundred dollars if you already have a lot invested in an HT set up you could not spend your money more wisely IMHO. Enjoy!

Good to hear you had the same experience!

Having the VT30 calibrated seems like the logical step to me especially with spending more for the top of the line plasma. Like you said, spending a few hundred is something easily done if one already has a significant amount invested in their HT. I thought the colors were pretty close but found they really weren't. Everything looks so much better now.
post #6282 of 6439 Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmereos View Post

@robertrobert;
I have had 55VT30 since February and I love the picture. I can't convince myself to have it calibrated; especially since people in South Florida don't have the best reputation, but I can only imagine what you guys are saying as to how the picture can be improved. I love my picture and can't believe how awesome it is and I don't even use D-nices tweaks; except I did run the burn in he suggested. Maybe when I have a some extra cash laying around I will look again through this thread to find a local ISF person. Thanks again for the recommendation. I am definitely going to add this task to my list.

I get down to south Florida at least every 4-6 weeks. Should be there either 2-3 or 9-10 June. I am quite familiar with the VT30 and would be glad to calibrate yours.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #6283 of 6439 Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

WOW...no issues reported on the VT 30 in 10 days..
I am really convinced I own the best plasma out there!
post #6284 of 6439 Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

WOW...no issues reported on the VT 30 in 10 days..
I am really convinced I own the best plasma out there!

Maybe you're the only one left. Everyone else bought a VT50.
post #6285 of 6439 Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:

yeah, I'm sure the VT50 is also awesome. I've been very happy with my VT30; seriously no issues at all. I also LOVE how I can control my PS3 from the panasonic remote;
post #6286 of 6439 Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 98
[quote=mmereos;22082075]yeah, I'm sure the VT50 is also awesome. I've been very happy with my VT30; seriously no issues at all. I also LOVE how I can control my PS3 from the panasonic remote;[/QUOTE

It is a wonderful set that gets even better with age.

fdsfds
post #6287 of 6439 Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

IMO,the vt50 would have to be one hell of a set to best the 30....it may well be...but,I cannot,for the life of me,see a much more brilliant and clearer pic than the 30 throws out...And this from an elite Pro150fd owner..
post #6288 of 6439 Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

IMO,the vt50 would have to be one hell of a set to best the 30....it may well be...but,I cannot,for the life of me,see a much more brilliant and clearer pic than the 30 throws out...And this from an elite Pro150fd owner..

Agreed love to upgrade to the vt50 for the for the thinner bezel but can't justify it as still very happy with my vt30.
post #6289 of 6439 Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Well, perhaps everyone who thinks the difference between a 65vt30 and a 65VT50 is worth over $1000. There are some, at least I think, who would not make that value judgement.
post #6290 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 13
I posted a few weeks ago that I noted in bright white or very light backgrounds -- the CNN logo retained on my VT65.

After many different screensavers to try and improve it -- I'm not convinced it's any better than when I first noticed this.

I was watching Hatfields and McCoys this weekend and 2-3 hours of the "H" logo in the bottom right of the screen seemed to emblaze the "H" and "History Channel" logo in the bottom right for 5 hours of constant viewing (after I noticed it) and it finally went away - LOL, but the CNN logo -- still there and proud.

I've had plasmas -- all Panny's .. since 2004 -- I can't ever recall having this issue with CNN, in fact I left CNN running on my 58S1 upstairs for 6 hours, and no significant IR, and after a few hours of programming -- perfectly white screen -- nothing like the "H" emblazed on the screen from only 2 hours of history channel watching.

Is the VT series (or the 2011 lineup) just more prone to IR .. and let's be honest ,some of this is actually likely burn-in -- I get the difference -- ??

I'm seriously looking into a VT50 because of this -- I'll have to see what the VT50 guys/gals have to say about IR -- but I think it may be too early to get a sense of things with that lineup.

The VT30 is otherwise the best picture I've over owned and i'm very disheartened by my "IR" issues. Hoping a year of watching and close attention not to let images stick for more than 1-2 hours will fix the CNN issue as the phosphors age.

Thanks for listening.
post #6291 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Have a VT30.

Never played around with settings more on a TV in my life.

Standard mode with contrast to 0 for news. Zoom pushed down to get rid of logos below the screen.

Custom for day, Cinema for night (looks better, but dimmer). I even got back lighting.

Lights off as much as possible because the TV is so dim.

Using the "off"-white or "bluish" white bar as much as I can. TV is VERY prone to IR. But I have avoided any IR for more than a few minutes.

I've been noticing a LOT more line bleed? You know, were there is a bright (like a long light) or dark line behind a persons head and the line bleeds "lightness" across the persons face. Very annoying.

I don't expect the TV to last much longer than the three years 0% financing I'm on. I just hope it doesn't loose much contrast or I'll be back to my 2006 Panny. Wouldn't THAT be sad!!

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #6292 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

On a more upbeat topic; maybe.

I got a NOTICE of a software update.

SM now says...

Peak soft from 2.200 to 2.220
PDP DCC 79.82 to 79.86
Ajax_CE from 0.35.5 to 0.48.3

The interesting one is the PDP DCC change. That "might" be Panel related.

I haven't noticed any changes, but I just got it a couple minutes ago.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #6293 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Happy new owner here...Just received my new 65vt30 from Amazon last Friday as my early Father's Day gift from my wife. Well actually she first bought me a Sharp 70LE732 at Best Buy (I picked it out). The size was awesome but the clouding and dirty screen effect on the tv were a big let down. Bought the Sharp on a Sunday and then Tuesday I got on Amazon found the 65vt30 for a a few hundred less than the Sharp. Ordered it, Best Buy picked up the Sharp Thursday, and the Panny was delivered Friday. The 65vt30 is great. Love the black levels, the colors, everything. I'm using the cnet.com settings. I have been checking the price on Amazon in case a price match could be done but the price has actually gone up a couple of hundred since when I bought mine so I guess I looked at the right time for the 65vt30.
post #6294 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavb View Post

Happy new owner here...Just received my new 65vt30 from Amazon last Friday as my early Father's Day gift from my wife. Well actually she first bought me a Sharp 70LE732 at Best Buy (I picked it out). The size was awesome but the clouding and dirty screen effect on the tv were a big let down. Bought the Sharp on a Sunday and then Tuesday I got on Amazon found the 65vt30 for a a few hundred less than the Sharp. Ordered it, Best Buy picked up the Sharp Thursday, and the Panny was delivered Friday. The 65vt30 is great. Love the black levels, the colors, everything. I'm using the cnet.com settings. I have been checking the price on Amazon in case a price match could be done but the price has actually gone up a couple of hundred since when I bought mine so I guess I looked at the right time for the 65vt30.

Do you have a link to the cnet settings, ive been wanting to try them,tia :-)
post #6295 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S281 View Post

Do you have a link to the cnet settings, ive been wanting to try them,tia :-)

Here you go...http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...=mncol;rvwBody
post #6296 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM

Crappy cell phone pic...we have black out curtains on the 3 windows directly opposite the tv (behind the sofa) so no unwanted reflections in the screen. I don't think I had changed any of the settings on the tv at this point.
LL
post #6297 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM

I downloaded a software update today on my 65VT30. The update is 2.220. How can I find out what the updates are for this version? Did not find anyhing on Panasonic website.
post #6298 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartin View Post

I downloaded a software update today on my 65VT30. The update is 2.220. How can I find out what the updates are for this version? Did not find anyhing on Panasonic website.

Its on panasonic's support website....It just saids, that its for viera connect support.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #6299 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Its on panasonic's support website....It just saids, that its for viera connect support.

Same question here. The panasonic site shows 11/11 as the last upgrade date - ver 2.200

http: //shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/tc-p65st30?t=downloads&support#tabs

Peter, do you have a link. I'd rather download the update to my computer and transfer using an SD card.

Thanks,
Bill
post #6300 of 6439 Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yates View Post

Same question here. The panasonic site shows 11/11 as the last upgrade date - ver 2.200

http: //shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/tc-p65st30?t=downloads&support#tabs

Peter, do you have a link. I'd rather download the update to my computer and transfer using an SD card.

Thanks,
Bill

Thats odd,they had version 2.220 up earlier this morning, now its not there.Just do the update via your tv,unless your worrying on bricking it.Call panasonic and ask why they took it down.I hope there where no bugs.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page