Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6451 of 6479 Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2450 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
That sounds like an issue with the comcast box itself, is it all ports ? Seems strange it would work with one component and not the other. That makes me suspect either the cable or the component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6479 Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
The port didn't matter, none of them worked with the Comcast box. The box worked fine with the new TV that he had bought, though, so I figure that should rule it out as being the issue. He even tried to piggy back the Comcast connection into the Xbox 1 and as soon as he did, the picture just dropped. I don't plan on having a cable box on this TV but I want to make sure there isn't some other issue at hand that could trickle down to the other boards. Might just pull the A board and send it to ModuslinkPTS to be on the safe side. My new neighbor works for an appliance repair company so maybe I can see if he can source a board. Can't hurt to ask.
post #6453 of 6479 Old 04-17-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Wish I could help you on that, but you never know. My 65VT30 had some HDMI issues and an A Board replacement fixed it up. Still holding strong in my Master Bedroom.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Oppo UDP-203

post #6454 of 6479 Old 04-17-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I hope you get it sorted out and I'm still enjoying mine. How much did you pay for it?
post #6455 of 6479 Old 04-18-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Thanks guys. I am going to pull the board today and ship it off to ModuslinkPTS for repair. I paid $1200 which I thought was decent for not having to drive far to get one. There were some other better deals out there, but it would have been a day or 2 of driving + hundreds in gas or a TON of shipping charges. The TV is mint otherwise, only 3300 hours, and has 3 pairs of 3D glasses so I was OK with the price.
post #6456 of 6479 Old 09-04-2016, 09:55 AM

Liked: 0
No activity here in a while - will post to see if there is any response.

65-VT30 with no issues since original retail purchase. Last night while watching it the screen powered of and came back on about 20 seconds later. There red light did not blink - where should I start looking first?
post #6457 of 6479 Old 09-04-2016, 10:07 AM

Liked: 17
My 65-VT30 is still working flawlessly and I've owned it for five years now. I hope it lasts forever! I hardly ever use the 3D functionality but I do watch Avatar in 3D once a year to make sure it's still working properly.
post #6458 of 6479 Old 09-05-2016, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post
My 65-VT30 is still working flawlessly and I've owned it for five years now. I hope it lasts forever! I hardly ever use the 3D functionality but I do watch Avatar in 3D once a year to make sure it's still working properly.
Same here (though I have the 55-VT30) and I bought mine in Dec, 2011. Almost at the 5yr mark and not ONCE has it gone out on me by itself and not ONE dead pixel ever. Only wish I had the 65-VT30 as I now moved into a larger place with a larger living room so now my 55" that looked BIG....looks small I thought about getting a 65-VT30 on Amazon or ebay and sell my 55-VT30 and it's also been calibrated for 2D & 3D by an AVS Forum member. Flawless indeed.
post #6459 of 6479 Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 PM
gdX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I started a separate thread, then I saw this livelier one come up; thought I'd post here too...

I'm not there to see it, but my friend's Panny TC-P50S30 was said to have gone black shortly after turning on.

Red light does come on upon powering up, no flashing. There was no other symptom, no "death throes". She tried disconnecting AC power for 10 minutes, no luck upon reconnecting. There is next to nothing in the manual on this.

Was bought in 2012. I know things break, but that seems a short life for a mature plasma product.

Anyway, I thought I'd check the knowledge base here to see if this was common for this model, and/or if there might be a quick, cheap, easy fix. Seems this is not a rare occurrence, having read back a couple pages in this thread. I don't mind taking a shot at repair.

Thanx in advance.

Oh by the way... anyone have a recommendation for a cheap-but-reliable multimeter?
post #6460 of 6479 Old 12-09-2016, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the TC-P65VT30 and replaced the main board a few years ago. The 3D worked for a short while but about a year ago it just does not want to show 3D clearly. It looks like it wants to do 3D but it looks like it is distorted or not rendering correctly. Wondering if I have settings messed up or if there is truly something wrong with my Panny.

I have tried 2 different kinds of glasses and also 2 different 3D Players, same results.
post #6461 of 6479 Old 12-12-2016, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsully View Post
No activity here in a while - will post to see if there is any response.

65-VT30 with no issues since original retail purchase. Last night while watching it the screen powered of and came back on about 20 seconds later. There red light did not blink - where should I start looking first?
I started having the same problem about 1 month ago and it is happening more frequently of late. No idea what I should be doing.
post #6462 of 6479 Old 02-12-2017, 06:56 AM

TV Turns Off and Then Comes Back On

My 55" started having the picture shut off occasionally on a random basis. The red light stays on and the picture comes back on by itself. I had Bay Bloor Radio pick it up and they could not get the set to repeat the problem. They replaced a couple of missing screws and re-soldered a few connections that appeared might be loose. Problem recurred within a few days. I then realized that this problem only started when I got a new Yamaha RX-A 2050 receiver (previously had a Denon). I tried turning off the HDMI control on the receiver and VieraLink on the TV. Fingers crossed but after 3 days I have had no problems. Don't actually need ARC (this set has almost no apps that are worthwhile in Canada) and I use a Harmony remote so HDMI control is not something I need.
post #6463 of 6479 Old 03-01-2017, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've owned the 65VT30 since 2011, completely satisfied with it since then.

Just curious if other owners have found a TV in similar price range offering comparable black levels?

New TVs (including 4K) come with a lot of bells and whistles but it's hard to tell which midrange TVs are as good as VT30 unless I'm willing to go up to the incredible SUHD or OLED. Any advice?
post #6464 of 6479 Old 03-03-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post
I've owned the 65VT30 since 2011, completely satisfied with it since then.

Just curious if other owners have found a TV in similar price range offering comparable black levels?

New TVs (including 4K) come with a lot of bells and whistles but it's hard to tell which midrange TVs are as good as VT30 unless I'm willing to go up to the incredible SUHD or OLED. Any advice?
I went from the VT30 to a Samsung PN64F8500 and then replaced it last year with Sony 75" XBR940C, which at the time was their top tier television, now the crown belongs to the Z9D. It has near OLED blacks and bests the VT30 in everything except off-axis viewing. There are many great 4k sets on the market. I personally like the Sony LED's the best. The Vizio P-Series has also been highly regarding for its picture quality.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #6465 of 6479 Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
My 55" started having the picture shut off occasionally on a random basis. The red light stays on and the picture comes back on by itself. I had Bay Bloor Radio pick it up and they could not get the set to repeat the problem. They replaced a couple of missing screws and re-soldered a few connections that appeared might be loose. Problem recurred within a few days. I then realized that this problem only started when I got a new Yamaha RX-A 2050 receiver (previously had a Denon). I tried turning off the HDMI control on the receiver and VieraLink on the TV. Fingers crossed but after 3 days I have had no problems. Don't actually need ARC (this set has almost no apps that are worthwhile in Canada) and I use a Harmony remote so HDMI control is not something I need.
Well that didn't solve the problem. Bay Bloor has asked me to disconnect the set from the receiver to eliminate it as the source of the problem. I did that and the problem repeated last night. It now looks like it is a problem with the TV. I have been told that the next step is to replace one of the boards at an estimated cost of $300 plus labour. This is going to bring the cost of fixing the set from $270 to about $700 and no guarantee this will solve the problem. I am leaning towards living with the problem until the 2017 OLEDs are on the market and buying a new set.
post #6466 of 6479 Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
Well that didn't solve the problem. Bay Bloor has asked me to disconnect the set from the receiver to eliminate it as the source of the problem. I did that and the problem repeated last night. It now looks like it is a problem with the TV. I have been told that the next step is to replace one of the boards at an estimated cost of $300 plus labour. This is going to bring the cost of fixing the set from $270 to about $700 and no guarantee this will solve the problem. I am leaning towards living with the problem until the 2017 OLEDs are on the market and buying a new set.
Well I finally figured it out. When the TV was installed the connections were done with 3 AudioQuest Forest HDMI cables. When I tried a new HDMI cable I just used one of the Forest ones. Problem persisted. So I bought a new Nexxtech Premium Ultra High Speed (2m) HDMI cable and connected the receiver from the audio out into the HDMI 1 of the TV and everything has worked perfectly over the last 8 days. It appears that there is a problem with the Forest cables at least with my setup. Turns out that the first service was probably a waste of $270.
post #6467 of 6479 Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 AM
gce

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had BJC HDMI cables on my VT30 since day one with no problems.
post #6468 of 6479 Old 03-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I went from the VT30 to a Samsung PN64F8500 and then replaced it last year with Sony 75" XBR940C, which at the time was their top tier television, now the crown belongs to the Z9D. It has near OLED blacks and bests the VT30 in everything except off-axis viewing. There are many great 4k sets on the market. I personally like the Sony LED's the best. The Vizio P-Series has also been highly regarding for its picture quality.
After my 55VT30 died last year (only 4 1/2 years old), went to Sony XBR65X930D. Agree that Z9D is awesome, but very happy with my 930D. Blacks are great, 4k and HDR awesome. Haven't tried the 3D mode yet, lots of cross-talk from what I hear, eventually will buy some glasses to see for myself.

The VT30 3D was fantastic, never had a problem with that or the overall picture. Sad that it died, the dreaded 7 red lights flashing.
post #6469 of 6479 Old 03-28-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayanomich View Post
After my 55VT30 died last year (only 4 1/2 years old), went to Sony XBR65X930D. Agree that Z9D is awesome, but very happy with my 930D. Blacks are great, 4k and HDR awesome. Haven't tried the 3D mode yet, lots of cross-talk from what I hear, eventually will buy some glasses to see for myself.

The VT30 3D was fantastic, never had a problem with that or the overall picture. Sad that it died, the dreaded 7 red lights flashing.
Glad you are enjoying the Sony set! My 75x940c is still the best set I've ever owned and love the 4k HDR (HDR) is the real winner.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #6470 of 6479 Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi all, mine has succumbed to the horrible buzzing. It's out of warranty, of course.

Shot in the dark: at one point, Panasonic was going around and fixing the shifting brightness bug. Any chance they'd still do that? LOL I realize probably no way, just figuring out how to fix on the cheap. I'm not really wanting to take a 200lb TV off the wall and open it up myself.

I'd really rather wait a little longer before plunking down $$$$ on a new, high-end TV.

What's the 2nd best option? Best Buy says they'll come out for $99.

I live in San Francisco, if it matters.

Thanks for reading!

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #6471 of 6479 Old 04-06-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF View Post
Hi all, mine has succumbed to the horrible buzzing. It's out of warranty, of course.

Shot in the dark: at one point, Panasonic was going around and fixing the shifting brightness bug. Any chance they'd still do that? LOL I realize probably no way, just figuring out how to fix on the cheap. I'm not really wanting to take a 200lb TV off the wall and open it up myself.

I'd really rather wait a little longer before plunking down $$$$ on a new, high-end TV.

What's the 2nd best option? Best Buy says they'll come out for $99.

I live in San Francisco, if it matters.

Thanks for reading!
$99 plus how much? Not sure repairing the VT30 would be worth it at this point, unless you could do it yourself for little cost. There are a lot of great sets out there. There are several OLEDs out now at prices relative to what the VT30 cost. I personally love the new Sony XBR LED's. My 940c has much deeper blacks than my VT30 ever dreamed of with a much brighter picture. I too can say that HDR is much more than just hype - best part of UHD.
GregF likes this.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #6472 of 6479 Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$99 plus how much? Not sure repairing the VT30 would be worth it at this point, unless you could do it yourself for little cost. There are a lot of great sets out there. There are several OLEDs out now at prices relative to what the VT30 cost. I personally love the new Sony XBR LED's. My 940c has much deeper blacks than my VT30 ever dreamed of with a much brighter picture. I too can say that HDR is much more than just hype - best part of UHD.
Well, Tom, let's talk through this, if you don't mind.

I *might* be able to get a friend with a home theater shop to look at it for free, now that I think about it. He owes me a few favors and is coming over to do something else for me, anyway. According to this thread, the buzzing is typically a loose board screw, or sometimes a cracked board or bad coil.

The thing is I'm not at "wow I gotta have a new TV!" yet. And many 4K features and possibilities aren't even realized yet, although I do enjoy going to others' homes and admiring their sets.

I wanted to wait until my beautiful 1080p plasma has fallen behind the times. Granted, I am starting to get screen burn-in on my plasma, and that's depressing.

I took a look around, and I could be swayed to get a Vizio P, I think. Then you're right: if the TV required a $250 or more to repair, I could put that money toward a new $1500 set. Then I could wait a few more years until "wow I gotta have that!"

Would you or anyone here "tsk tsk" Vizio P?

Last edited by GregF; 04-07-2017 at 03:54 PM.
post #6473 of 6479 Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I *might* be able to get a friend with a home theater shop to look at it for free, now that I think about it. He owes me a few favors and is coming over to do something else for me, anyway. According to this thread, the buzzing is typically a loose board screw, or sometimes a cracked board or bad coil.

The thing is I'm not at "wow I gotta have a new TV!" yet. And any 4K features and possibilities aren't even realized yet, although I do enjoy going to others' homes and admiring their sets.

I wanted to wait until my beautiful 1080p plasma has fallen behind the times. Granted, I am starting to get screen burn-in on my plasma, and that's depressing.

I took a look around, and I could be swayed to get a Vizio P, I think. Then you're right: if the TV required a $250 or more to repair, I could put that money toward a new $1500 set. Then I could wait a few more years until "wow I gotta have that!"

I almost bought a Vizio P before I purchased by 940c - I think they are great sets and a huge upgrade from the VT30.
GregF likes this.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #6474 of 6479 Old 04-07-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I almost bought a Vizio P before I purchased by 940c - I think they are great sets and a huge upgrade from the VT30.
^that's a ringing endorsement!

post #6475 of 6479 Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^that's a ringing endorsement!
I was very impressed with the P and had I not gotten an excellent deal on my 75x940c, I would have definitely bought the Vizio P series. For Christmas, I bought my 3 boys a Vizio E-50 and myself one to replace a 10 year old Samsung LCD out on my patio (my man space). I was so impressed with their low-end set, I sold my Samsung PN64F8500 that had been relegated to my master bedroom and replaced it with a Vizio E series and had several $$$ left over from the sale to spend on other toys. I wouldn't put an E series in my HT, but it's and impressive set for the price. The P is an absolute marvel for the price.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #6476 of 6479 Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting turn of events:
I did the thing where you unplug and press the power button for 10 seconds. The buzzing has either stopped or become quieter so that I don't notice.

I realized my Onkyo AVR is 1080p, so a TV upgrade will probably require a receiver upgrade! Therefore, I will hold off as long as luck holds out. Then there's the added dimension of my HTPC: 4K content is going to require storage upgrade lol.

I'll have my home theater friend take a look and see if there's a cheap fix.

*fingers crossed*

Of course, now i'm salivating for a new receiver and TV haha. Life.

post #6477 of 6479 Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting turn of events:
I did the thing where you unplug and press the power button for 10 seconds. The buzzing has either stopped or become quieter so that I don't notice.

I realized my Onkyo AVR is 1080p, so a TV upgrade will probably require a receiver upgrade! Therefore, I will hold off as long as luck holds out. Then there's the added dimension of my HTPC: 4K content is going to require storage upgrade lol.

I'll have my home theater friend take a look and see if there's a cheap fix.

*fingers crossed*

Of course, now i'm salivating for a new receiver and TV haha. Life.
Acessories4less.com has the best deals if you don't mind buying refurbished. Carries an extended warranty and they sell quality gear. I bought my Marantz SR7008 from there and it's been the best receiver I've over owned. I was going to go to a Marantz 7011 when I bought my Sony for 4k pass through, but I actually like it better with my Oppo 203 having 2 hdmi outputs with the picture going directly to the tv and audio direct to the receiver.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
post #6478 of 6479 Old 04-14-2017, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The thing is I'm not at "wow I gotta have a new TV!" yet. And many 4K features and possibilities aren't even realized yet, although I do enjoy going to others' homes and admiring their sets.

Vizio P a great piece. The Android remote a waste I think. Consider M series and save some dough.
post #6479 of 6479 Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberboy View Post
Vizio P a great piece. The Android remote a waste I think. Consider M series and save some dough.
The P series has more than double the local dimming zones that the M has making it the better of the 2 sets, especially for HDR content. The Mis no slouch, but the P is by far the better set.

PSA V3600I
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo UDP-203
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page