Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting really sick of the fluctuating brightness on my 50vt30. I've tried all picture modes and it's the same on all. It's especially bad in games. I say bad, it's not frequent but I'm the type of person who looks out for it(annoying i know!)

The set's about 20 hrs in. After much discussion, Panasonic traded my vt20 for a vt30 due to floating blacks. I'm wondering now if I made an error...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use any of the apps in the TV? My only favorite one at this point is the weather app. And to me, Netflix is Netflix, so it doesn't matter much to me.
post #633 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Finally got my 55" VT30 delivered and setup! Gorgeous TV, the bezel is big but the one sheet glass is so slick.

I've got it running Red/Green/Blue full screen pictures on a screen saver from the HTPC I built with relatively bright settings (contrast 80). How similar is this to 'the slides' everyone talks about? Should I add black, white or secondary colours to the mix?

I was getting annoyed at the overscan on the HDMI input from my HTPC, until I finally found the setting in Aspect adjustments -> HD size. 'Size 1' and 'Size 2', real descriptive lol (I was browsing quickly looking for the word overscan). With that fixed it seems happy with the HDMI signal from the Intel HD graphics, it even offers to display 3D (although I haven't put out any 3d from the computer yet).

I'll probably watch some Pinky and the Brain DVDs later (with contrast down ~40), I may actually turn the overscan back on as even stretched I noticed on my LCD monitor that it leaves a bit of black on the edges (it is old 4:3 content).

Hmmmm...think I can push my luck and watch the hockey game later? The scoreboard on there most of the time makes me nervous with this new fresh-out-of-the-box unit. I'll probably do it with contrast down, pixel orbiter on and possibly switch overscan on and off every once in a while.

I also noticed that the OTA HDTV didn't look all that hot compared to my tuner playing on the computer 24" LCD. Maybe it would look better with better settings, or with the tuner in the PC outputting to the VT30, which is how I plan on using it?)

At first I was a bit shocked by the 'dancing pixels', I guess this is normal for plasma? It looks just awful up close, but fades just barely out of view for me at my viewing distance of about 9 feet. The picture still looks slightly 'off' at this distance, like the colours are moving, but it's not bad this is my first plasma I think I'm getting used to it already.

Sorry for the long post, thoughts are flowing...
post #634 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post

I can live with that. How does the break in work for the 3d aspect? Just stay away from it until the break in period is over?

I don't think 3D itself would make a difference. I don't have 3D. It's the fixed images, and black bars that you're trying to minimize. I think of it this way: avoid them at first (100 hrs), mix them carefully for a while longer (100-500 hrs), and then just enjoy.
post #635 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

66.67%? No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsedawn View Post

But CR's data doesn't say Samsung has a 66.67% higher plasma problem rate than Panasonic; its data says there is no statistical difference between the two, hence your 66.67% is actually ~0%.

You've missed my point, but I'll take responsibility for that - too many words in my post.

I agree, according to CR, there is no statistical difference in reliability between the Panasonic and Samsung units reported on by owners.

The fact remains that the reported Samsung percentage rate is 66.67% higher the Panny rate, in that the number 5 is 66.67% higher than the number 3. Yes, this does NOT mean Sammy's are 66.67% less reliable or more apt to fail. You are correct.

And remember that, if the percentage rate difference had been 3 points instead of 2, CR would have declared a statistically significant difference in reliability to exist. Yes I know, "ifs" don't count!

That is the reason for my point that I personally feel uncomfortable with Sammy vs. Panny reliability based upon the differences in the numbers, especially when taking into consideration that Sammy service seems to draw more complaints than Panny's. Again, I have no personal experience with Sammy service, but Panny has always been there for me.

That is all.

Now, who's going to start the VT30 owner's thread?
post #636 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kramer View Post

I agree. It doesn't matter if consumer reports deems it as statistically irrelevant. If it's relevant to someone, that's all that matters. Bottom line, panasonic is more reliable. Slim as it may be.

The check's in the mail!
post #637 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM

If I bought a VT30, is there any drawback to simply letting the TV play on its own (on a full screen without black bars and logos) for the first 100 hours while I am away? I'm still torn. I don't like the idea of having to worry about problems, but I fell in love with the picture quality when I saw it.
post #638 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post

I'm getting really sick of the fluctuating brightness on my 50vt30. I've tried all picture modes and it's the same on all. It's especially bad in games. I say bad, it's not frequent but I'm the type of person who looks out for it(annoying i know!)

The set's about 20 hrs in. After much discussion, Panasonic traded my vt20 for a vt30 due to floating blacks. I'm wondering now if I made an error...

I remember you were asking about the fluctuating brightness and the floating blacks, so when you went to the store to see the VT30 you didn't notice the fluctuating brightness and now you notice it?
post #639 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM

I have to say, from my perspective on my unit, I have not noticed any problems. Sure, it needs a calibration to fix the quality on some really dark scenes and could use a little more pop and a little less fuzz in the whites, but overall its performed wonderfully. What I do notice with such a clear picture one such a big screen are imperfections on the source. What appears to be a problem with the sets PQ quickly becomes explainable by the lack of quality in the source (every time I have questioned it). I was even noticing some focus adjustments on TV cameras from news shows that I would never see anywhere else (initial shot was out of focus and I could see the picture correct as the camera man / auto focus fixed the picture). Changing from scene to scene or source to source (i.e. program to commercial, etc.), you really experience the quality differences. I guess that is part of having a real high quality monitor - you see it all.
post #640 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think despite the excitement over the new sony LED coming out, I'm going to go with this TV. I'll happily revisit LED or even look forward to the possibilities of OLED, if and when the tech establishes a clear superiority over these plasma sets.

Edited to add: I took my wife and later my Dad to see the set on display at a Magnolia, and we were all in awe of the notion of having that 65" beauty hanging on my wall, even though it looked green and clearly needed calibrating. I'm very nervous about such an expensive purchase but it is such a huge upgrade over my current setup, I think I'll be happy with it.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #641 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post

The check's in the mail!

Exactly!

Any word yet on when the FW update is happening, and what it plans to address?
post #642 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kramer View Post

Exactly!

Any word yet on when the FW update is happening, and what it plans to address?

Yes.
post #643 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckheck View Post

I have found that it can play MPEG2 files and finds my MythTV box just fine. It also recognizes MP4 MOV and a few other extensions, so I'm pretty sure it works with MPEG4 (I'd have to check to be 100percent).

It did NOT understand MKV extension, and indicated that files with that extension were "unknown". I have not tried changing the filename just to see if it would play the MKV with a supported extension, but I couldn't get the file to show up. Which brings up another thing, the files are all in a jumble with no real sort order. If you are looking for good DLNA, look elsewhere.

The TV is awesome mind you, but not for DLNA, or Netflix for that matter (which I can't get to work either for some reason).

-Jim

Please check this out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340064

post #644 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26 View Post

If I bought a VT30, is there any drawback to simply letting the TV play on its own (on a full screen without black bars and logos) for the first 100 hours while I am away? I'm still torn. I don't like the idea of having to worry about problems, but I fell in love with the picture quality when I saw it.

No. Any 16:9 (1.77:1) material set to repeat will do fine.
post #645 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF View Post

... even though it looked green and clearly needed calibrating.

Just get yourself a good calibrator. See the second post using the link at the bottom of my post.

Any reports relating to Panasonic or Pioneer Kuro displays should be relevant for you.
post #646 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yes, appreciate all your help in the PM thread. I'll either be visited by the celebrated D-Nice or will talk to one of the recommended dudes in your thread.

post #647 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Oh yes, appreciate all your help in the PM thread. I'll either be visited by the celebrated D-Nice or will talk to one of the recommended dudes in your thread.

If you can't connect with D-Nice, check out UMR. They are both very good.
post #648 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleMark View Post

Yes.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.
post #649 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Replaced my 7 year old 50" Sony XBR plasma with the 55VT30 which arrived yesterday.

BB hung my Sony for $200 with frame in my bedroom and mounted the new set on the pedestal in my family room. I did the tv set-up and connections to the DVR, blu-ray, DVD recorder and AV receiver. Pretty easy overall. The biggest issue was running hdmi for the DVR and blu-ray into the Denon AV hdmi in and hdmi out into hdmi 1 on the VT30. After setting up video and audio in on the Denon AV everything was good to go.

Last night I checked out movies on HBO, baseball on MLB and 127 Hours blu-ray (excellent movie and great video quality).

OO box picture quality is stunning and I do not use that term loosely.

Color, motion, detail and black-level are all stellar.
Just received Tron Legacy yesterday but haven't checked out 3D

So far very impressed. Will report on any interesting findings/experiences later.
post #650 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I will be in the Bay area around 6/19. If you are interested in getting your display calibrated, please email me via my signature.

Quote:

post #651 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I will be in the Bay area around 6/19. If you are interested in getting your display calibrated, please email me via my signature.

I will, although we are already talking via PM on another website!

post #652 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Stop by Phoenix AZ on the way back and do my VT30?
post #653 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post

Stop by Phoenix AZ on the way back and do my VT30?

haha and chandler lol

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #654 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 09:48 PM

And then swing through Little Rock, AR. :-)
post #655 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

What about the picture improved when you added the AV-7005? ...and which type of content improved? Was it SD content? HD or both?

I have only been watching HD channels and will look at some SD channels tomorrow to see if there is a difference there as well. With the Marantz AV7005, the picture went from great to really fantastic. It now looks lifelike and dimensional, and is almost shocking how good it looks, particularly when I'm just watching HD stations through Comcast Cable (the picture is nearly as good as through my Oppo BDP-95 blu-ray player, which is saying something). I'm really enjoying it very much.

I'm not near my set currently, but someone mentioned the picture going from light to dark and repeating over and over again. I initially noticed the same thing in the "Standard" setting? But, not in any of the other picture modes. I went back to "standard" three times, and each time it did the same thing. I think there is a bug in that one setting only. I did not find the same issue in THX or in the Custom Mode, etc.

I'll check that issue again to see if it is still there, now that I've switched to the Marantz processor.
post #656 of 6436 Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant View Post

Finally got my 55" VT30 delivered and setup! Gorgeous TV, the bezel is big but the one sheet glass is so slick.

I've got it running Red/Green/Blue full screen pictures on a screen saver from the HTPC I built with relatively bright settings (contrast 80). How similar is this to 'the slides' everyone talks about? Should I add black, white or secondary colours to the mix?

I was getting annoyed at the overscan on the HDMI input from my HTPC, until I finally found the setting in Aspect adjustments -> HD size. 'Size 1' and 'Size 2', real descriptive lol (I was browsing quickly looking for the word overscan). With that fixed it seems happy with the HDMI signal from the Intel HD graphics, it even offers to display 3D (although I haven't put out any 3d from the computer yet).

I'll probably watch some Pinky and the Brain DVDs later (with contrast down ~40), I may actually turn the overscan back on as even stretched I noticed on my LCD monitor that it leaves a bit of black on the edges (it is old 4:3 content).

Hmmmm...think I can push my luck and watch the hockey game later? The scoreboard on there most of the time makes me nervous with this new fresh-out-of-the-box unit. I'll probably do it with contrast down, pixel orbiter on and possibly switch overscan on and off every once in a while.

I also noticed that the OTA HDTV didn't look all that hot compared to my tuner playing on the computer 24" LCD. Maybe it would look better with better settings, or with the tuner in the PC outputting to the VT30, which is how I plan on using it?)

At first I was a bit shocked by the 'dancing pixels', I guess this is normal for plasma? It looks just awful up close, but fades just barely out of view for me at my viewing distance of about 9 feet. The picture still looks slightly 'off' at this distance, like the colours are moving, but it's not bad this is my first plasma I think I'm getting used to it already.

Sorry for the long post, thoughts are flowing...

Great post! It's good to hear from someone who has connected an HTPC to their VT30.

The "dancing pixels" are normal, and part of plasma's dithering. I've noticed that it can depend on the colors used. I don't really notice it unless I am up really close, and looking for it, though.

Keep us posted on any other results.

Michael
post #657 of 6436 Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post

I got rid of my V25 because of FB and bought a LED XBR55HX929 and could not be happier. No FB at all. Some are complaining about blooming on credits, when you hit pause or stand up in front of the TV but the overall opinion on this TV is excellent. Blooming is hardly noticeable on my set and when I do notice it it does not take away from the amazing picture quality. It's got plasma like blacks (very inky)
post #658 of 6436 Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis

I got rid of my V25 because of FB and bought a LED XBR55HX929 and could not be happier. No FB at all. Some are complaining about blooming on credits, when you hit pause or stand up in front of the TV but the overall opinion on this TV is excellent. Blooming is hardly noticeable on my set and when I do notice it it does not take away from the amazing picture quality. It's got plasma like blacks (very inky)
Glad to hear that from a (former) plasma boy! I am swaying more towards the 46hx923 as I don't fancy gambling on FBr! But Panny have until end of July to fix/reduce the issue!!
post #659 of 6436 Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
What is the average price for calibration of a TV like the VT30?
post #660 of 6436 Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
Great post! It's good to hear from someone who has connected an HTPC to their VT30.

The "dancing pixels" are normal, and part of plasma's dithering. I've noticed that it can depend on the colors used. I don't really notice it unless I am up really close, and looking for it, though.

Keep us posted on any other results.

Michael
Thanks! Yeah I'm getting used to the dither already, if I focus I can still see the effect from ~6 feet (how close I am when I lean forward in my seat) in certain cases but really once I get into the content (instead of searching for imperfections lol) I've never had it jump out at me.

The hockey game looked pretty good in THX mode with normal color temp. I don't know if it's just me or the hockey game but 'standard' had HUGE brightness fluctuations. Are these the ones people have been talking about?

It's pretty easy to isolate with a Windows machine hooked up. Just open a window with a white background (over a dark desktop which I had already) and resize it. The screen is very dim when it is small and ramps up the brightness over the whole screen as it grows. I didn't see it in any other mode. Very weird that standard mode is basically a piece of crap (the hockey game with white coming and going was a disaster), good thing there are still plenty of other modes without this problem!

My latest experience is playing Fable 3 on the xbox360 I just bought. Apparently the game has lots of motion blur? I didn't notice it much on the old LCD yesterday, but it is choppy as hell on the plasma. I notice when I rotate the camera fast it basically goes from a blur to a very harsh double image that looks just awful. At first I was scrambling in the menus trying to fix it but it's just the game, motion looked great in a couple of other demo games. Perhaps they designed the game with the softer motion of LCDs in mind? Too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to turn the blur off either.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page