Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-Junky View Post

A look inside:

http://www.fullhd.gr/2008-03-14-21-3...-teardown.html

Joshy

Panasonic has the power supply in the upper middle area with two fans directly above, I'm impressed as their keeping the heat away from the other components! Thanks for the link Junky.

Techlord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post

An interesting thing about the fbr's that I noticed last night (or didnt!)
The last few days I has noticed them quite heavily most notably on games and a dr who Blu ray.

Last night my wife and I watched The Day After Tomorrow on Blu Ray after which we watched a programme on Itv Hd. Interestingly there were next to no fbrs! Wish I know what was going on.....

So the FBr fix is to watch a full BD of Dr. Who. Maybe a translation in the Matrix, Who knew!
post #723 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

We were also told the firmware would be out on the 10th - No sign of it though.

Repairing an issue like FBr isn't something I think they'd actually notate in the release notes for a firmware release. I think they'd just squeeze it in, and if it fixes the issue for a lot of people they'll be happy, and the rest will go on never knowing the issue existed...

/crossing fingers bc I'm buying a 65VT30 sometime this month lol...

The firmware was only supposed to fix the ISF calibration modes. If it fixes anything else, that would be a bonus. It was supposedly made available early to a dealer last night. It was not due for wide release yet. We are still waiting to see if that happened and what the outcome was.
post #724 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove debris from under the full panel layer of glass? I have a hair and a speck stuck on the glass under the front panel glass.
post #725 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleMark View Post

The firmware was only supposed to fix the ISF calibration modes. If it fixes anything else, that would be a bonus. It was supposedly made available early to a dealer last night. It was not due for wide release yet. We are still waiting to see if that happened and what the outcome was.

Well, I just heard that he didn't get the firmware. Apparently, Panasonic found some more bugs they are trying to work out before releasing the update. Now, they are saying Sunday or Monday. We will just have to wait and see.
post #726 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleMark View Post

Well, I just heard that he didn't get the firmware. Apparently, Panasonic found some more bugs they are trying to work out before releasing the update. Now, they are saying Sunday or Monday. We will just have to wait and see.

IMO, they should take their time. I'd rather wait an extra week than have a problem due to buggy firmware.
post #727 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Liked: 15
What ISF related issues need correction? I've read about the upcoming firmware update, but I'm not sure what needs to be fixed.
post #728 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

What ISF related issues need correction? I've read about the upcoming firmware update, but I'm not sure what needs to be fixed.

Proper ISF calibration cannot be done by professional calibrators, but it will be fixed by this firmware upgrade.
post #729 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Proper ISF calibration cannot be done by professional calibrators, but it will be fixed by this firmware upgrade.

I know...I'm sorry I was not clear. Proper calibration cannot be achieved. What types of problems are they running into when attempting to calibrate? Thank you.
post #730 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a quote from Chad's review, including the calibration issues. On the other hand, D-Nice stated he had fewer issues calibrating a VT30. In any case, the firmware upgrade should make it easier to calibrate.

Calibration:

The review unit was a bit green, though Chris had it running the break in DVD for about 35 hours before I arrived. Having downloaded the latest version of CalMAN, I got the TV interfaced with my laptop and calibration gear to check out the automatic calibration feature. Unfortunately, at this stage of it's development, the feature proved to be useless for the most part. It did open up a new picture preset called ISF Day (Night would also be available), but unfortunately the 10 point white balance and grayscale adjustment was not available to select; only the 2 point white balance adjustment was available. Also, far too many necessary picture options and adjustments were grayed out, making even a 2 point calibration far from optimal. However, I did have it try the automatic calibration. What I ended up with was an ISF Day mode with a peak light output of only about 28 fL and a pretty good white balance, but poor performance in other aspects of the picture.

I did a lot of experimentation in Custom mode, since it has a fantastic variety of adjustments in the advanced user menu. Unfortunately, some of those controls just did not work. Most of the CMS adjustments were non functional, though I was able to adjust the luminance (out of luminance, hue, and saturation) of each color. Even with the luminance adjustment, however, things were not as they should be. Setting the color at one video level resulted in color compression at other levels. I tried to minimize the effect with different combinations of the master color control and the luminance adjustments, but could not entirely eliminate it. I also experimented with different panel brightness settings, which has had an impact on color linearity in past Panasonic models, with no success. I concluded that the color was going to be compromised in Custom mode, but I continued on in the hope that other aspects of performance might make up for it.
The gamma adjustment in Custom mode did have a 10 point detail adjustment. However, after a while of experimenting, I found I really was not making the improvements I had hoped for. It was like trying to climb up a slippery slope; I seemed to make a couple step of progress here and there, but soon found myself not far from where I started.
The VT30's ABL (auto brightness limiter) was fairly aggressive, allowing very small white objects to be bright enough, but severely limiting larger bright objects. All plasmas have this to a certain degree to limit power consumption and protect the panel, though less ABL interference results in a better image. I found a new adjustment for video type in the VT30's menu that did seem to make the ABL less obtrusive when set to photo or video (default was off), with no apparent disadvantage. It did increase blue in the white balance by a tiny bit, but not enough to be visible.

I found Cinema and THX modes to be the best starting points for calibration. Cinema mode had slightly better gamma, but it's light output was more limited than THX. For moderate ambient lighting conditions, THX seemed the best choice, though Cinema may be slightly better for a totally dark room. Because of it's slightly better versatility, I concentrated my efforts on THX mode.

As with some past Panasonic plasmas starting with the V10, supplying a 1080P/24 signal and engaging the 96 Hz mode resulted in subtle measured changes to the picture relative to 60 Hz mode. 96 Hz mode reduced light output very slightly, degraded the gamma a bit, and reduced blue in the white balance by a few percent. All of these changes were very subtle, and are not cause for too much concern. Also like the V10, engaging 96 Hz mode did have a positive impact on what might be thought to be an unrelated but important picture aspect: black level and contrast. While the VT30's black level was too low for my meter to read reliably even in 60 Hz mode, I could see a slight improvement or darkening of the black level when engaging 96 Hz. 96 Hz mode did introduce a tiny bit of flickering in some test patterns, but it was so slight and infrequent that it did not bother me at all with video.

I found that all of THX mode's user menu picture controls were pretty close to optimal, though I did raise contrast and lower sharpness both by a small amount. The biggest improvement in THX mode came from adjustment of the grayscale in the service menu.

Maximum light output after calibration in THX mode was about 38 fL with my usual small (10%) test windows. That is adequate for a light controlled room, but on the low side for most living rooms. With larger measurement windows, the white balance shifted slightly (reducing green along with other changes) and light output reduced to 35 fL with 18% medium windows and 32 fL with 25% large windows. With a 100% full field, maximum light output dropped to just over 12 fL.

After calibration:

After all the technical tests were complete, I put my familiar demo material in the Blu Ray player and sat back to enjoy the picture.

Pans and motion were surprisingly good, even with the VT30 in 60Hz mode. I was impressed with the lifelikeness of the image. However, colors lacked a tiny bit of richness; skin tones were natural but a bit too polite. There was a good but not quite excellent sense of depth, and shadow detail was strong and neutral toned. Try as I might, I saw no traces of DSE (dirty screen effect), contouring, or fluctuating black bars. There was very good pop in a dark room, though the picture was not terribly exciting with moderate lighting. Overall, I thought the image was very good, though a little lacking in "Wow!" factor. Looking back through my notes and calibration data, I believe the blame for the lack of excitement can be laid at the feet of the not fully developed calibration adjustments. With black level and contrast this good, the image should be oozing with pop and excitement. However, the lower than optimal gamma, slightly uneven color luminance with red being low, and tame light output seemed to combine to rob the image of some of it's edge. These are all things that could be eliminated if only the VT30's calibration flaws could be corrected. In fact, Custom mode appeared to bring a substantial boost in excitement and verve to the table at the expense of color and overall picture accuracy. If Custom mode's (or the auto-calibration ISF mode's) calibration flaws are corrected with a firmware update, we'll have a TV to really cheer about. As it is, I felt it was very good, but not living up to it's full potential.
post #731 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Thanks for that quote BillP, very informative. My VT30 is in a living room with moderate lighting and THX mode looks great but a little too dark for me. Anyone using any custom settings they can recommend?
post #732 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 10:32 PM

I'm wondering if anyone is getting periodic picture drop outs where the screen will go black for about 2 seconds and then come back on? I'm trying to figure out if the culprit is the Panny or the Marantz AV-7200!

By periodic, it happens about once every hour.
post #733 of 6439 Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM

I have had my vt 65 for 5 days now. I posted here several times my praise over the d8000. In custom mode out of the box...lots of fluctuating blacks...I put it in THX mode..no fluctuation. This is without any changes. I am very happy. I have had both tv's. Sammy had great color but still feel panny is better with depth and overall experience. This is a great tv...again no rising blacks in thx. May 2011 build
post #734 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post

I'm wondering if anyone is getting periodic picture drop outs where the screen will go black for about 2 seconds and then come back on? I'm trying to figure out if the culprit is the Panny or the Marantz AV-7200!

Sounds like a HDMI handshake or cabling problem. No video drop-outs on my set.
post #735 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post

It could be in the source material, in the setup of one or more of the devices in your HDMI chain, or it could be a HDMI cable or any of your connections connections.

You'll have better luck getting help if you provide details including the length and gage of your cables. It also helps to know if they are stiff or limber.

A HDMI cable can do strange things if it's teetering on the edge of a solid connection. The first things to check are your connections. Look for the slightest hint of movement in any connection. Look for any sign that the weight and/or stiffness of the cable is stressing the connection because it can cause what seems to be a good connection to go bad in ways like you describe.

I use light weight flexible high speed 28 gage cables from Monoprice. Even so, I'm careful to support the cables with plastic ties or features of the rack the equipment is on. I try to remove as much stress from each connection as possible. My cables range between 1.5' and 10'. Most of them are 3' or 6'.

If you can't find anything wrong with the connections, provide as much information about your video setup and settings as possible.
post #736 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Sounds like a HDMI handshake or cabling problem. No video drop-outs on my set.

Right. As suggested above, a poor connection can increase the error rate during a HDMI handshake which could then cause the video drop outs that are being seen.
post #737 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 02:38 AM

I have had my 55" for about 6 weeks and in reading this forum it appears that NetFlix is available in the U.S. on VieraCast. I cannot find it in Canada. Does anyone know why?

I realize there are some posts indicating that the PQ for NetFlix is poor but I wanted to try it. I would like to drop Apple TV which I only use for NetFlix to reclaim an HDMI connection to my AV receiver. Have tried streaming over my Sony BDP-S780 (should have bought the Panny 310 with the dual HDMI out) but the WiFi signal is so weak I can't really use it. I cannot use a wired connection.
post #738 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

I think today is finally the day I purchase a P55VT30! Magnolia is offering the ultimate 3D starter kit (2 pairs of glasses and Avatar) for free with purchase. I wanted the RZ coupon to lower the price, but this is almost as good since I was going to buy it anyway. Still on the fence about the warranty though...
post #739 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post

I have had my 55" for about 6 weeks and in reading this forum it appears that NetFlix is available in the U.S. on VieraCast. I cannot find it in Canada. Does anyone know why?

I realize there are some posts indicating that the PQ for NetFlix is poor but I wanted to try it. I would like to drop Apple TV which I only use for NetFlix to reclaim an HDMI connection to my AV receiver. Have tried streaming over my Sony BDP-S780 (should have bought the Panny 310 with the dual HDMI out) but the WiFi signal is so weak I can't really use it. I cannot use a wired connection.

Does the vt30 can play 5.1 from Netflix?.

post #740 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

My P55VT30 arrives on Wednesday! I have 30 days to decide on the warranty. I have a feeling this week will crawl until then...
post #741 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post

I think today is finally the day I purchase a P55VT30! Magnolia is offering the ultimate 3D starter kit (2 pairs of glasses and Avatar) for free with purchase. I wanted the RZ coupon to lower the price, but this is almost as good since I was going to buy it anyway. Still on the fence about the warranty though...

Is their ad in the paper cuz I don't see it on their website.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #742 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post

Is their ad in the paper cuz I don't see it on their website.

It's in the regular best buy ad, and is sort of on the website - its listed under the "save 400-750" or something like that, but the tv isn't listed once you click on that link because it isn't sold online. It's in-store only.
post #743 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubateve View Post

It's in the regular best buy ad, and is sort of on the website - its listed under the "save 400-750" or something like that, but the tv isn't listed once you click on that link because it isn't sold online. It's in-store only.

Awesome! Going to go ask for the kit. Bought my vt30 a week ago

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #744 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Page 8 in the BB ad. Woo WOOO!!!
post #745 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Anybody have a coupon for better than 5% off? I've been waiting for this promo, and was hoping I'd see a 10 or 12% coupon prior to purchasing...
That aside, I'm pretty excited about this promo. Now I'll only have to buy one pair of glasses instead of three for my family. And I'll get an extra copy of Avatar 3D to sell on eBay (which should nearly cover the price of an additional pair of glasses) because I just bought a panny blu-ray player.
post #746 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:

So what happened to all the pre-orders with VE that included calibration? Did the calibration get done, or was that effort canceled? Just curious...I purchased only the TV from VE without calibration.

Also, for thost that did buy from VE, are there any offers (rebates, etc) in reference to additional glasses?
post #747 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Anybody have a coupon for better than 5% off? I've been waiting for this promo, and was hoping I'd see a 10 or 12% coupon prior to purchasing...
That aside, I'm pretty excited about this promo. Now I'll only have to buy one pair of glasses instead of three for my family. And I'll get an extra copy of Avatar 3D to sell on eBay (which should nearly cover the price of an additional pair of glasses) because I just bought a panny blu-ray player.

Have you gone to the Post Office? Sometimes there are Best Buy coupons in the change of address packages.
post #748 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you are going to use a coupon you are going to pay the 4299-5%.. you are probably better off bargaining more then 5% off... you cant bargain the price down then whip out the coupon ? it does not work that way. The coupon is for regular priced items.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #749 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone been able to compare the 65" VT30 with the Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M? I am really happy with the 600M, but might be interested in a new set for my bedroom to replace an old Sony 40" XBR2 1080P and would juggle sets accordingly. Wondering if the VT30 is better than the 600M or not or if it is still too early to tell.

Thanks guys,

Y2J
post #750 of 6439 Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 PM

has anyone noticed on black scenes a green/red static on the screen? you can see it when credits are rolling or during a film or even a game? I know its not supposed to be there but im wondering if anyone has noticed this?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page