Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

There aren't any. He never reports settings from his clients displays, so I expect that he does one when he wants to learn how the display calibrates.

Right.

Right.

Do you think the VT25 settings will work on VT30? I recd my VT30 today and I am using the break in slides on his settings to use for VT25 on the normal mode because there is no photo mode on VT30.

SAMSUNG UN75HU8550FXZA GOLF CHIP TS 01 WITH SEK3500U DENON X4200 DEF TECH BP2002 5.1 PLUS KLIPSH ATMOS 140 SPEAKERS, NVIDEA SHIELD, APPLE TV, ROKU etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makado View Post

Do you think the VT25 settings will work on VT30? I recd my VT30 today and I am using the break in slides on his settings to use for VT25 on the normal mode because there is no photo mode on VT30.

I take it back . I was able to apply the break in settings by going into picture adjustments from the slide show in photo mode.

SAMSUNG UN75HU8550FXZA GOLF CHIP TS 01 WITH SEK3500U DENON X4200 DEF TECH BP2002 5.1 PLUS KLIPSH ATMOS 140 SPEAKERS, NVIDEA SHIELD, APPLE TV, ROKU etc.
post #813 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

No. They are completely different displays.
post #814 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

He's waiting for the firmware release to post his settings here... http://www. high defjunkies.com/showthread.php?9134-2011-Panasonic-Settings-Issues-Thread

Thank you very much!

post #815 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post

Gotchya. I will be getting it professionally calibrated so I now understand lol. Clears up some questions I had. I actually used your link to find some one in my area when it cane to doing my LCD

You can just watch normal TV for 200 hours and then get it professionally calibrated (no need for the slides). Just use common sense to limit the black bars and stationary logos for the first 100 hours.
post #816 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 1999
Quote:

Do you think the VT25 settings will work on VT30?

If you mean will hiis calibrated settings for the VT25 produce better picture quality on your VT30, then my the answer is no, but there's no harm in trying them.

Quote:

I recd my VT30 today and I am using the break in slides on his settings to use for VT25 on the normal mode because there is no photo mode on VT30.

If you mean the settings for aging the panel rapidly, I wouldn't do that. Just use your TV normally and avoid fixed images and black bars for a few hundred hours. You can use the slides with normal settings if you want to speed up the aging.

Don't use D-Nice's "rapid (hot) settings" from the VT25 on your new display. There is no point to doing that, and it might be risky.
post #817 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I must be really tired or excited. I'm reading the manual to check how to see if there is new firmware (obviously there isn't or this thread would be filled with updates) but I can't find how to. Also us the the vt30 remote universal?

My theater build : Roll-In Reels Cinema (7.2.4 atmos theater)
post #818 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody,
I've had a 55VT30 for just over a month now and just recently got a panasonic BDT110 bluray player.

I only have two blu-ray things to watch (BBC's Planet Earth and The Dark Knight).

I just noticed that when I put in the Dark Knight, the TV seems to switch automatically to Cinema mode (I usually change it to THX for everything I watch). I've changed it to THX mode, shut everything down, then turn it all back on and find that it has gone back to Cinema mode.

Has anyone else experience this, or can anyone tell me what setting I have that is allowing this to happen?

Thanks
post #819 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:

I take it back . I was able to apply the break in settings by going into picture adjustments from the slide show in photo mode.

Please don't do that.
post #820 of 6459 Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun_hei View Post

Hi everybody,
I've had a 55VT30 for just over a month now and just recently got a panasonic BDT110 bluray player.

I only have two blu-ray things to watch (BBC's Planet Earth and The Dark Knight).

I just noticed that when I put in the Dark Knight, the TV seems to switch automatically to Cinema mode (I usually change it to THX for everything I watch). I've changed it to THX mode, shut everything down, then turn it all back on and find that it has gone back to Cinema mode.

Has anyone else experience this, or can anyone tell me what setting I have that is allowing this to happen?

I have the same combination (VT30 and 110). Usually it holds the THX setting, but occasionally (and unpredictably) it changes from THX to Normal. By the way, using THX mode, change Warm 2 to Warm 1 for best PQ. I have all 4 HDMI inputs set that way.
post #821 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Just saw my first bit of IR.

Fell asleep on the couch as a Pinky and the Brain episode finished and went back to the main menu...which then stayed on the screen for 4 hours. (The computer won't go to screen-saver while DVD is 'playing', I should look into a way around that.) I could clearly see the outline of Pinky's body and Brain's giant head from the DVD menu on the screen, doh.

Anyways after running my screen-saver of alternating secondary colours for 4 hours while I slept (in bed this time lol) it is 95% gone, I can barely detect the outline of Brain's head on a solid 50% gray screen, in a picture I don't notice it at all. I'm guessing by the end of tonight I won't even see it on a solid screen.
post #822 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Just watched my first 3D avatar movie last night. The picture is insane. Both my room and his girl were in awe of quality. That was just on THX warm 1 with contrast and brightness down. Can't wait to see what the pq will look like in a month or two once calibrated.

post #823 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant View Post

Just saw my first bit of IR.

Fell asleep on the couch as a Pinky and the Brain episode finished and went back to the main menu...which then stayed on the screen for 4 hours. (The computer won't go to screen-saver while DVD is 'playing', I should look into a way around that.) I could clearly see the outline of Pinky's body and Brain's giant head from the DVD menu on the screen, doh.

Anyways after running my screen-saver of alternating secondary colours for 4 hours while I slept (in bed this time lol) it is 95% gone, I can barely detect the outline of Brain's head on a solid 50% gray screen, in a picture I don't notice it at all. I'm guessing by the end of tonight I won't even see it on a solid screen.

That is actually quite frightening.
I would not have expected the top of the line plasma to be that susceptable to image retention as you described.

I am one of the lucky people who own the last gen Pioneer Kuro displays - and while I have not abused it, I haven't had any issues with IR or line bleed like I hear about with the Panasonic plasmas.
If Pioneer still made panels, I'd bite the bullet and get another one - but it seems their "near"-bulletproof engineering must be too expensive for Panasonic to adopt - because there is still a large "quality" gap between the Kuros and the VTs.
post #824 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManKent View Post

I would not have expected the top of the line plasma to be that susceptable to image retention as you described.

I am one of the lucky people who own the last gen Pioneer Kuro displays - and while I have not abused it, I haven't had any issues with IR or line bleed like I hear about with the Panasonic plasmas.
If Pioneer still made panels, I'd bite the bullet and get another one - but it seems their "near"-bulletproof engineering must be too expensive for Panasonic to adopt - because there is still a large "quality" gap between the Kuros and the VTs.

I don't think it's frightening at all. He had a stationary image on the screen for four hours! That's bound to cause a little problem. The good thing is he said that it's going away. I've had a Panasonic plasma TV for over seven years, and I have never seen any IR. I just don't think it's an issue, especially if you vary your viewing material. Also, the new TVs have a feature to help erase any IR with a white scrolling bar.
post #825 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Send a message via AIM to Dominus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Yes, my WiFi is connected to that USB terminal, and it works fine.

Same here. Works like a champ. I have even streamed a video from Netflix without any breakups though the quality is degraded.

Cheers!
post #826 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Well it wouldn't have been a problem with an LCD but there are various reasons I went plasma (latency, viewing angle, response time, black level).

The TV is still in its first 50-60 hours. Is it true that it will be less susceptible to IR after it gets a few hundred hours on it? I play RPG games and the like many of which will have HUDs, possibly bright ones. Now I shouldn't be playing any one of these long enough to cause dreaded burn-in (like someone who played Madden for hundreds of hours talked about), an actual significant difference in the aging of the phosphors, but it would be nice not to have bad IR after a gaming binge.

Luckily the game I am 'breaking in' the TV with, Fable 3, doesn't have a static HUD of any kind. I just have to not to leave it paused, or sitting in one spot (white text comes up reminding you what to do).
post #827 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I have the same combination (VT30 and 110). Usually it holds the THX setting, but occasionally (and unpredictably) it changes from THX to Normal. By the way, using THX mode, change Warm 2 to Warm 1 for best PQ. I have all 4 HDMI inputs set that way.

Hmmm... seems like I may have figured out my own question.... Dug into the manual a bit and changed the HDMI content type setting from AUTO to OFF. This seemed to do the trick and it remained in THX Mode when starting up the movie.
post #828 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant View Post

The TV is still in its first 50-60 hours. Is it true that it will be less susceptible to IR after it gets a few hundred hours on it?

Yes that is very true. Phosphors burn fastest when they are new. The newer your plasma, or the brighter settings on your plasma, the faster the affected phosphors burn. In order to produce color, the phosphors are excited electronically which consumes them like fire wood. When your display reaches it's half life your display will be able to produce an image half as bright as when it was new.

Image retention and burn-in really mean one area of your screen has aged (burned ) faster than the rest of the screen. If you watched nothing but 2.40:1 movies, after a time the middle of the screen would not be as bright as the black bar area. As long as you never watched anything but 2.40:1 aspect ratio films, you would never notice.

The same is true of high contrast logos and other fixed objects TV producers are so fond of.
post #829 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManKent View Post

Any plasma is susceptible to IR the first few hundred hours of break-in. Yes the Kuro has slightly deeper blacks but, actually the Kuro is more susceptible to this, even after the break-in period. My next door neighbor has the Kuro and still has burn in images from a year ago, lol.
post #830 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I scanned this thread the best I could, but could not see what is in the promo pack. What's included?

Michael
post #831 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I scanned this thread the best I could, but could not see what is in the promo pack. What's included?

Michael

2 pairs of glasses and 3D Avatar Movie

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #832 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Hung my brand spanking new VT30 on the wall today, and DOH!!! My in-wall HDMI cable isn't long enough as the HDMI ports are on the side (my previous TV had them on the back). Boo hoo!!! Now I have to figure out if I have enough to pull through the wall. I was SO close to being able to really use this thing today. Torture!
post #833 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post

Hung my brand spanking new VT30 on the wall today, and DOH!!! My in-wall HDMI cable isn't long enough as the HDMI ports are on the side (my previous TV had them on the back). Boo hoo!!! Now I have to figure out if I have enough to pull through the wall. I was SO close to being able to really use this thing today. Torture!

bummer dude.

here just a lil salt in the wound

post #834 of 6459 Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Quote:

There are HDMI extension cables as a short term fix (maybe a permanent one).

And you may ask yourself well how did I get here?
And you may ask yourself am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself: What have I done?!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Once you let the trolls run the bridge, you have a bridge run by trolls. I'll be back.
post #835 of 6459 Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

male-to-female hdmi extender?

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #836 of 6459 Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:

There is a link to Monoprice at the top of every page. An extender is cheap to try, and if you run into sparkles, image blocking, or handshake error retries, you'll know what the most suspect part of your setup is. Be sure to support the cables weight at the point where you connect the cables.
post #837 of 6459 Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF View Post

male-to-female hdmi extender?

That's what she said.......

Sorry had to throw that in there.
post #838 of 6459 Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys. I am going to first see if I have enough slack to put a couple more feet of the cable through (though I am not excited about going into my crawl space). But I will keep this extender suggestion in mind.
post #839 of 6459 Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 AM

Ok guys I have had my VT30 for about 3 weeks now and have put about 200+ hrs on it. I followed all the great advice on this forum for breaking in the set. I can noticeable tell the black levels have darkened now from when barely out of box. When watching a blu-ray movie with black bars (which I try to do as little as possible) the black bars now seem to fade in with the black edging of the set, simply stunning. Maybe its just me but even THX mode, which was a little to dark & dull for me at first, seems to have brighten up with better contrast, now it feels perfect. Thanks again for all the great advice on this forum.
post #840 of 6459 Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

2 pairs of glasses and 3D Avatar Movie

With any size TV? How long is the promo? Is there a link showing this promo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page