Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I could'nt help to find this a bit humorous. I've had my vt30 since 05/07/11 and it's been perfect in every since. I downloaded the updated firmware yesterday and twice i've experienced flucuating brightness. Who would have thought. Having said that, this is still a gorgeous tv, pq wise. I find i'm watching shows, not for the content but for the pq, especially on TNT. Love this set. Maybe at some point Panasonic will issue firmware to fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
^^^ That is what most are saying.....

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #903 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpur1622 View Post

Well, I could'nt help to find this a bit humorous. I've had my vt30 since 05/07/11 and it's been perfect in every since. I downloaded the updated firmware yesterday and twice i've experienced flucuating brightness. Who would have thought. Having said that, this is still a gorgeous tv, pq wise. I find i'm watching shows, not for the content but for the pq, especially on TNT. Love this set. Maybe at some point Panasonic will issue firmware to fix the problem.

I wish Panasonic would fix it I'd gladly keep my VT30, however from what I've been reading it's not really a new issue but a continuing one with Panasinic. I'm also not convinced it can be fixed with a firmware update since it has something to do with there driving system that's causing it I'm told.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #904 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM

So it only started after the firmware update?

Hmm maybe I should just leave my firmware alone? Haven't seen any brightness shifts yet outside of standard mode (which is a mess but other modes are solid).
post #905 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised to see all the "anti-calibration" sentiment on a forum for a high end TV, with one of its major features being the ability to fully ISFccc calibrate it.

I don't mean to be "anti-calibration", but I do find it ironic that the final method is the eyeball test.
post #906 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Hmm maybe I should just leave my firmware alone? Haven't seen any brightness shifts yet outside of standard mode (which is a mess but other modes are solid).

When I went to use the internet, the tv jumped into the firmware update. I really hope this didn't mess anything up. So far so good.

Also, I no longer see any brightness shifts now that CATT is turned off. I also tend to enjoy Standard more than THX. THX seems to look slightly washed out with normal room lighting. When lights are low and using a DVD we usually use THX, but I really don't see much difference.
post #907 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No matter what any snake oil salesman might say.. this firmware update was never intended to address FBr... plain and simple.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #908 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

No matter what any snake oil salesman might say.. this firmware update was never intended to address FBr... plain and simple.

I think we all knew that. It was to allow full ISF calibration.
post #909 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I've had my VT25 for just under a year now and I love it, however I have had a few problems with it and Panasonic is offering to switch it with a VT30( I will have to pay a small difference tho). This talk of the fluctuating brigthness is scaring me though, and seeing the examples on youtube has me worried. I would love to have the VT30, one of the main reasons is the 2d to 3d conversion, I watch alot of 3d and would love to be able to watch basic programming(sports) in 3D. I have not had any issue with floating blacks on my VT25 and this FBr issue has me seriously hesitant now. My questions(finally lol) are, how wide spread is this issue really? Is it similar to the VT25 floating blacks? Is it as simple as turning off the CATS setting? I was all set to make the swap but now Im not so sure.. I was just waiting for the calibration fix, and now I hear about this... Comments and first hand experience would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #910 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I've had my VT25 for just under a year now and I love it, however I have had a few problems with it and Panasonic is offering to switch it with a VT30( I will have to pay a small difference tho). This talk of the fluctuating brigthness is scaring me though, and seeing the examples on youtube has me worried. I would love to have the VT30, one of the main reasons is the 2d to 3d conversion, I watch alot of 3d and would love to be able to watch basic programming(sports) in 3D. I have not had any issue with floating blacks on my VT25 and this FBr issue has me seriously hesitant now. My questions(finally lol) are, how wide spread is this issue really? Is it similar to the VT25 floating blacks? Is it as simple as turning off the CATS setting? I was all set to make the swap but now Im not so sure.. I was just waiting for the calibration fix, and now I hear about this... Comments and first hand experience would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I owned two 65VT30's both have Fluctuating Brightness issues as well as the floor sample at BB I tested for the mgr. CATS setting turned Off makes no difference.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #911 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post

I don't mean to be "anti-calibration", but I do find it ironic that the final method is the eyeball test.

Eyeball test of an expert that is, in most cases an audio-video phyle. Hire a good calibrator and ask questions, one would be amazed. Further, I would bet, Chad B and D-Nice are within the top 10 video experts in the US !

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #912 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Is the FBr really as bad as people are making it out to be?...

Anyone think it's possible that maybe the June or July batches of VT30's may be "fixed" and not show FBr, or will they have it as long as they make em?...
post #913 of 6439 Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

Is the FBr really as bad as people are making it out to be?...

Anyone think it's possible that maybe the June or July batches of VT30's may be "fixed" and not show FBr, or will they have it as long as they make em?...

Mine was made the end of May and I have no FBr issues. I noticed it once in Standard mode, but I have not been able to duplicate it since.
post #914 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I had the VT25 last year(which my daughter broke) so I bought the VT30 this year. First of all I have had no fluctuation brightness whatsoever on the VT30. It seems to be only some sets that experience this issue depending on location and date of manufacturing. It seems the FB is more of an issue in UK from what I've read. My suggestion is, if you want the set, is purchase it from a well known company so they may exchange the set if the issue occurs. Second I am a 3d buff and absolutely love it on the VT30 which is much improved with almost no crosstalk/ghosting, making the 3d content that much more believable and realistic. But one thing that did not impress me was the 2d-3d conversion, it barely does anything. I think Panasonic just added this on their set because all other 3dtv manufactures had it and nothing more. ESPN 3D is the only way to watch 3d sports and it is breath-taking. I watched the NBA Finals in true 3d and it actually felt like I was there in the stadium mid court seats, just without paying $2000 per ticket.

Oh and Jason, what did you tell Panasonic that they offered an upgrade to the VT30???
post #915 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have never noticed FBr onmy V30. Seems like it only affects some of them.
post #916 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern

But one thing that did not impress me was the 2d-3d conversion, it barely does anything. I think Panasonic just added this on their set because all other 3dtv manufactures had it and nothing more. ESPN 3D is the only way to watch 3d sports and it is breath-taking. I watched the NBA Finals in true 3d and it actually felt like I was there in the stadium mid court seats, just without paying $2000 per ticket.
I wish my cable network provided espn 3d. I had a different opinion on the 2d -3d conversion. I tried it on wipeout and was pretty impressed with the depth it added. Nothing like s true 3d but there was depth and some things had that pop to it like the shows title and credits.

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #917 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
the set could be calibrated with full calibration controls in Custom Mode...so the firmware is not really necessary unless you really want an ISF Day AND ISF Night mode
post #918 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
If the new firmware introduced FBrs into your set, it seems logical that another newer firmware can remove the FBrs. This would lead one to conclude that FBr can, indeed, be fixed through firmware on these sets.

On the other hand, it's also possible that over the last month you have not watched any particular content that triggered FBrs. It could all just be coincidence in your case.
post #919 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
If the new firmware introduced FBrs into your set, it seems logical that another newer firmware can remove the FBrs. This would lead one to conclude that FBr can, indeed, be fixed through firmware on these sets.

On the other hand, it's also possible that over the last month you have not watched any particular content that triggered FBrs. It could all just be coincidence in your case.
I think the ladder is the more likely scenario between the two. If you are interested in finding the Fluctuating Brightness issue I would start with the movies The Scocial Network and Hereafter. Both are good examples to test your Tv on.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #920 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

the set could be calibrated with full calibration controls in Custom Mode...so the firmware is not really necessary unless you really want an ISF Day AND ISF Night mode

I believe that custom mode has a problem with the final picture looking off even if the numbers say everything is perfect. Color ends up looking off.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #921 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Don't all plasmas have fluctuating brightness levels by design? I thought they all cut back the brightness when large areas of the screen went to white, a current limiter so to speak.

Michael
post #922 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Don't all plasmas have fluctuating brightness levels by design? I thought they all cut back the brightness when large areas of the screen went to white, a current limiter so to speak.

Michael

To an extent yes, but the Fluctuating Brightness issue I'm talking about happens during dark scenes to like in TRON and The Scocial Network scenes etc.
Also the Samsung PN64D8000 Plasma has them also to an extent even with the ECO Sensor to Off. Only it wasn't as bad as the Vt30 to my knowledge.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #923 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post

I wish my cable network provided espn 3d. I had a different opinion on the 2d -3d conversion. I tried it on wipeout and was pretty impressed with the depth it added. Nothing like s true 3d but there was depth and some things had that pop to it like the shows title and credits.

That's why I had to switch from Comcast to Direct TV. They have 4 dedicated 3d channels that are amazing in content and HD 3D quality. They broadcast many 3d films that are regularly only on Blu-ray so it saves me some extra cash, then I just record those into the receiver's hard drive for later use. And there is no extra charge for 3d, can't beat that.
post #924 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM

I think this was just an anomaly, it's only happened once in over 30 days and just happened to coincide the day after i did the firmware update. I was watching the golf channel and it happened and it was quiet extreme and i wonder if it was just something to do with the station transmission.
post #925 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 PM

PS3 Question:

I know this has been discussed at length but would it be beneficial to setup the HDMI output to FULL (0-255) AND put the VT30 on NONSTANDARD (0-255) mode to match?

I keep reading LIMITED is the right setting but I'm guessing that is assuming the TV doesn't have the option to match this as probably most do not.

Why not open it up to full range if we can handle it?
post #926 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post

PS3 Question:

I know this has been discussed at length but would it be beneficial to setup the HDMI output to FULL (0-255) AND put the VT30 on NONSTANDARD (0-255) mode to match?

I keep reading LIMITED is the right setting but I'm guessing that is assuming the TV doesn't have the option to match this as probably most do not.

Why not open it up to full range if we can handle it?

That's a computer setting. If you want to watch shinny disks, and TV then you might want to stick with the range they use.

Calibration Resources:

post #927 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 PM

I have a May Build and I have seen no sign of FBr issues. In fact I found absolutely no flaws with my TC-P65VT30!
post #928 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txscotty View Post

I have a May Build and I have seen no sign of FBr issues. In fact I found absolutely no flaws with my TC-P65VT30!

I suggest you dont look for them.. and enjoy your TV

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #929 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

I saw this on another thread for testing your 3D.

"Lets gather performance results from our TVs
Download this side-by-side L-R 3D video:
http://www.box.net/shared/lpe35vy1h8

- Place it on USB stick, put the stick on TV and play it. Panasonic VT owners needs to play it from other external device (BD player) to be able to enable the 3D mode."

What's the story here? You can't play 3D videos from the USB port? Can you play any videos at all?

Seems kinda lame for a top of the line TV if true.

Michael
post #930 of 6439 Old 06-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txscotty View Post

Same here!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page