Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder View Post

How is that done?

Go into the viera link options and turn on hdavi control 5

Of course your ave has to support it also. But once you have it turned on hdavi control 5 is what controls ARC

LivingRoom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Pioneer Elite SC35 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL
Bedroom: 65VT30 / BDT320 / Apple TV
Office: KRP-500M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Someone mentioned to me that whenever possible the ISF person should be a touring or traveling ISF calibrator. If this is true and if there are traveling/touring calibrators, I would like recommendations for Research Triangle, NC (Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill) to setup my Panasonic TC-P65VT30 HDTV. Tks

Breakin period of over 100 hours exceeded and firmware version 2.06 installed on Friday. BTW, is version 2.06 Panasonic's latest/most current firmware upgrade?
post #1083 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

@Buzz, thanks for the update. Again, sounds like if you haven't already calibrated, you might just want to wait for the update.

That's assuming that the update even fixes it. The fact that Panasonic releases updates that clearly have not been tested to fix the issues they are supposed to fix is troubling to say the least.
post #1084 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wepratt View Post

Someone mentioned to me that whenever possible the ISF person should be a touring or traveling ISF calibrator. If this is true and if there are traveling/touring calibrators, I would like recommendations for Research Triangle, NC (Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill) to setup my Panasonic TC-P65VT30 HDTV. Tks

Breakin period of over 100 hours exceeded and firmware version 2.06 installed on Friday. BTW, is version 2.06 Panasonic's latest/most current firmware upgrade?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

Larry
post #1085 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:

How is that done?

You have to use a panasonic receiver I believe.
post #1086 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post

You have to use a panasonic receiver I believe.

Nope any receiver that is capable of HDMI cec has it. To use arc he needs a 1.4 HDMI spec receiver though. Once he turns it on that's pretty much it. Just has to go in viera link settings turn it on, then do the same on the receiver.

LivingRoom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Pioneer Elite SC35 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL
post #1087 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

Nope any receiver that is capable of HDMI cec has it. To use arc he needs a 1.4 HDMI spec receiver though. Once he turns it on that's pretty much it. Just has to go in viera link settings turn it on, then do the same on the receiver.

Do the Devon receivers support that?
post #1088 of 6436 Old 06-25-2011, 11:43 PM

HDMI CEC? Probably, depends how old it is. As for ARC, same thing depends on how old it is. If you want help trying to figure it out you may want to check out the owners thread for your specific model receiver, or you can send me a PM and I will see if I can help you out some

post #1089 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

D-Nice is considered a top notch calibrator and is located nearby in South Carolina. You might want to contact him to see when he is available in your area.
post #1090 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

You can contact D-Nice here:

audiovideofidelity@gmail.com

You can use the link at the bottom of my post to read owner's calibration reports. Go to post number two for flat panels. Check out reports for Panasonic and Pioneer Kuro flat panels.
post #1091 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

@Buzz, thanks for the update. Again, sounds like if you haven't already calibrated, you might just want to wait for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

That's assuming that the update even fixes it. The fact that Panasonic releases updates that clearly have not been tested to fix the issues they are supposed to fix is troubling to say the least.

We're waiting for the update to eliminate the possibility of a redo and also waiting for the new X-Rite D3 meter which should be arriving in 3 weeks or so. I'll be using ControlCal VT30 V2.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #1092 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 07:16 AM

My 65VT30 delivered 4 days ago has failed (+/-50 hrs of use). Flickering horizontal black bars across then entire width for a couple of minutes and then no picture at all while watching cable HD movie with composite input. Switched to BluRay on HDMI and same thing, audio but no video. Menu does not display either, so it is not just an issue with inputs. When turned on, display is dimly lit and uniform gray. Does not respond to remote or buttons on the TV itself.

Until then, I was satisfied. Stuff happens, so I will probably have it replaced with the same model, but thought I would check to see how common my experience is. Any indications that this model has a higher than average failure rate?
post #1093 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

Go into the viera link options and turn on hdavi control 5

Of course your ave has to support it also. But once you have it turned on hdavi control 5 is what controls ARC

I guess it won't work w/ my Denon 3310.

So it appears that the only audio out from the TV is the analog stereo and optical? I have extra coax and if there was a digital coax out, I could do it w/o any baluns.
post #1094 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 382
@gnikoli, No such indications, no.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #1095 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I guess it won't work w/ my Denon 3310.

So it appears that the only audio out from the TV is the analog stereo and optical? I have extra coax and if there was a digital coax out, I could do it w/o any baluns.

If it's like my 2 year old panny the optical out can deliver Pro logic so there is at least something coming our the center/rear channels. 4.0 I believe which makes the viewing experience a little better than stereo. My 2310 has no problem there. I have the Viera connect turned off so there's no hdmi handshake issues. That year Denon's don't have ARC.
post #1096 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

If it's like my 2 year old panny the optical out can deliver Pro logic so there is at least something coming our the center/rear channels. 4.0 I believe which makes the viewing experience a little better than stereo. My 2310 has no problem there. I have the Viera connect turned off so there's no hdmi handshake issues. That year Denon's don't have ARC.

Half works. W/ Vieralink turned on, the Panny remote does control the Denon sound. However, the TV audio output doesn't work via HDMI. On to another solution.
post #1097 of 6436 Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I just purchased the Panasonic 65" VT30 from Cleveland Plasma (great dealer!)

I am getting a poor quality image with Dish Network using their latest 922 receiver. In fact the image is inferior to what I was getting before using my 5 year old Sony 60" LCD (yikes!). I am getting a decent amount of contouring, lots of noise and some motion blur. At default settings the picture and Dish Network menu do not fit on the screen properly. I am sitting 10 feet from the TV in a dark room. I realize the source (Dish Network) is not ideal but I've never seen dish look this bad. Even the HD channels are just OK.

------------------------------------

I am using the following settings:

Dish Network 922

TV Type: 1080i
Aspect Ratio: 16 X 9
Format: Normal
Screen Adjustment: -3 Zoom (only way I can get the menu/image to fit to TV)

THX Mode (default settings)

Contrast: 60
Brightness: 55
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Warm 2
Color Mgt.: Off
CATS: Off
Video NR: Weak

Aspect Adjustment Menu

Screen Size: Full
HD Size: Size 2

Advanced Picture Menu

Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto

----------------------------------

Is there anything that stands out like a sore thumb that might help? I assume for instance that I should have the receiver set to "normal" format and the TV set to "full, size 2." Any suggestions for Video NR, Block NR, and Mos NR? Which of those settings would apply to Dish and a satellite signal the most? Is +50 a tad high for sharpness when watching Dish?

Any/all suggestions welcome? I would really like to get my Dish Network menus the right size and improve the picture.

Thanks,

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
post #1098 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

I just purchased the Panasonic 65" VT30 from Cleveland Plasma (great dealer!)

I am getting a poor quality image with Dish Network using their latest 922 receiver. In fact the image is inferior to what I was getting before using my 5 year old Sony 60" LCD (yikes!). I am getting a decent amount of contouring, lots of noise and some motion blur. At default settings the picture and Dish Network menu do not fit on the screen properly. I am sitting 10 feet from the TV in a dark room. I realize the source (Dish Network) is not ideal but I've never seen dish look this bad. Even the HD channels are just OK.

------------------------------------

I am using the following settings:

Dish Network 922

TV Type: 1080i
Aspect Ratio: 16 X 9
Format: Normal
Screen Adjustment: -3 Zoom (only way I can get the menu/image to fit to TV)

THX Mode (default settings)

Contrast: 60
Brightness: 55
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50 | Try 20-35
Color Temp: Warm 2
Color Mgt.: Off
CATS: Off
Video NR: Weak | Turn Off

Aspect Adjustment Menu

Screen Size: Full
HD Size: Size 2 | Size 1

Advanced Picture Menu

Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto

----------------------------------

Is there anything that stands out like a sore thumb that might help? I assume for instance that I should have the receiver set to "normal" format and the TV set to "full, size 2." Any suggestions for Video NR, Block NR, and Mos NR? Which of those settings would apply to Dish and a satellite signal the most? Is +50 a tad high for sharpness when watching Dish?

Any/all suggestions welcome? I would really like to get my Dish Network menus the right size and improve the picture.

Thanks,

-Brian

Size 2 might be causing your picture to have a slight overscan, try size 1! Turn off Video NR (see above in quote). On my older panel I have my Sharpness at -50 and it still looks damn sharp, reduce the Sharpness as it will give you a smoother (film like look) picture! Sharpness will introduce artifacts that are not in the video signal, also reducing the Contrast will hide those dancing pixels to a point. Just because its HD doesn't automatically mean that it will look good, some HD channels look like crap!

Techlord
post #1099 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 05:21 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Size 2 might be causing your picture to have a slight overscan, try size 1! Turn off Video NR (see above in quote). On my older panel I have my Sharpness at -50 and it still looks damn sharp, reduce the Sharpness as it will give you a smoother (film like look) picture! Sharpness will introduce artifacts that are not in the video signal, also reducing the Contrast will hide those dancing pixels to a point. Just because its HD doesn't automatically mean that it will look good, some HD channels look like crap!

Techlord

Why would anybody put their panny to size 1??? You are losing half the resolution by doing that

Wouldn't you rather deal with a bit of overscan/underscan on some analog channels in order to watch HD and bluray in the proper resolution?

Ask your calibrator to do a A/B (size 1/size 2) test for you i was blown away at the loss in picture quality and detail in size 1.
post #1100 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Size 2 is correct for full resolution and no overscan. Size 1 has overscan.

Precision Video Calibrations
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #1101 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Hi guys. Ive had my tv for almost a month and wanted to point out some things that I have noticed and add a question or two. With Directv, I had an older sd/hd dual mode reciever. I switched that one to a hd reciever model hr-21 - 700. Big addition in brightness from the other. I was havin issues with my Denon 3312ic with volume drops on local tv broadcasts through dtv. Getting close my return time limit and not finding a way to fix it... I returned it. I got a great deal on a Integra 70.2. It has an hqv chip for picture quality and the receiveris isf certified. Well the picture seems to be even better to my eyes. Even brighter. All out of the box settings.

These are my observations. So now when I get the tv calibrated..does the receiver have to be. Also living near Milwaukee and not knowing anything, I paid best buy for their calibration service...in mid July. Of course their calibrators are saying no issues with calibration. "they have done thousands." Well its paid for already..I figure now delay it till August for firmware update for final calibration fixes...hopefully...Any thoughts..advise..eperiance with bb calibrations.
post #1102 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy12 View Post

Hi guys. Ive had my tv for almost a month and wanted to point out some things that I have noticed and add a question or two. With Directv, I had an older sd/hd dual mode reciever. I switched that one to a hd reciever model hr-21 - 700. Big addition in brightness from the other. I was havin issues with my Denon 3312ic with volume drops on local tv broadcasts through dtv. Getting close my return time limit and not finding a way to fix it... I returned it. I got a great deal on a Integra 70.2. It has an hqv chip for picture quality and the receiveris isf certified. Well the picture seems to be even better to my eyes. Even brighter. All out of the box settings.

These are my observations. So now when I get the tv calibrated..does the receiver have to be. Also living near Milwaukee and not knowing anything, I paid best buy for their calibration service...in mid July. Of course their calibrators are saying no issues with calibration. "they have done thousands." Well its paid for already..I figure now delay it till August for firmware update for final calibration fixes...hopefully...Any thoughts..advise..eperiance with bb calibrations.

Don't get a calibration with best buy. They won't be able to do a proper calibration with their equipment and in the time allotted (2 hours)
post #1103 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

Why would anybody put their panny to size 1??? You are losing half the resolution by doing that

Wouldn't you rather deal with a bit of overscan/underscan on some analog channels in order to watch HD and bluray in the proper resolution?

Ask your calibrator to do a A/B (size 1/size 2) test for you i was blown away at the loss in picture quality and detail in size 1.

Because when you use size 2 with DirecTV and certain other sources, you get a sparkling line of static at the top, and sometimes bottom, of your picture. How would you lose half your resolution by doing this? You do lose 5% of your picture, which I find less acceptable, too.
post #1104 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am going to have to strongly agree with shiarua on NOT having Best Buy touch your set, to many bad experiences with BB's so called calibrators with sub-standard equipment! If you want it done the right way have an ISF qualified technician calibrate your set! They will come out to you and do it correctly once the firmware issues are fixed, by then you'll have enough hours on your set to get it calibrated.

Techlord
post #1105 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Get your money back from BB and do it quick. Would never let them touch any tv
post #1106 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 05:39 PM

2 questions to get the general consensus of what gives most resolution/accuracy for films:
1- aspect adjustments: screen format full, hd size 1 - correct for blu-ray? Any different for cable/satellite?
2- 24p direct in - I know 48Hz isn't it. What's better: 60Hz or 96Hz?
post #1107 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubateve View Post

2 questions to get the general consensus of what gives most resolution/accuracy for films:
1- aspect adjustments: screen format full, hd size 1 - correct for blu-ray? Any different for cable/satellite?

96hz. Though 60hz with 3:2 pulldown works too, but 96hz is one of the things you PAID for with the VT. Use it.
post #1108 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kramer View Post

96hz. Though 60hz with 3:2 pulldown works too, but 96hz is one of the things you PAID for with the VT. Use it.

yeah but it does not work that well.. (flicker)..

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #1109 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubateve View Post

HD 2 is the only correct answer. 60 or 96? try both and see which you like better. Some have problems with 96 and some think it is fine.

Precision Video Calibrations
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #1110 of 6436 Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnikoli View Post

Until then, I was satisfied. Stuff happens, so I will probably have it replaced with the same model, but thought I would check to see how common my experience is. Any indications that this model has a higher than average failure rate?

No higher than anything else made by a human. It happens. I towed a truck after 1 month with 2,000 miles on it, Spent $28K. That sucked..... Truck never had an issue for 6 years Panasonic works fast, she will be fixed in a minute....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page