Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 6439 Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanVoodo View Post

Cnet rated Samsung first because of design and aps. Panny they prefer for picture quality and blacklevels + 3d.

They described the Samsung as having "reference color" and are replacing their Kuro with a Samsung for color reference purposes. I'd call color an important part of picture quality.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 6439 Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has there been a firmware upgrade to allow 11pt grayscale for theVT30 yet?
post #1263 of 6439 Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
the unit has 10pt greyscale.
post #1264 of 6439 Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
So the Samsung has reference color but the Panasonic has better blacks.

Tough call making a decision when you want both.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1265 of 6439 Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If you have the fluctuating brightness problem on your 2011 Panasonic, you may consider joining the following Facebook group that was created a couple of days ago. People are working hard to raise awareness in hopes of a fix.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-201...03670019681303
post #1266 of 6439 Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

It's because all of the Panasonic fans have migrated to the "other" forum for various reasons. See my other post in this thread from July 11 for more info.

Got it! Thank you very much.
post #1267 of 6439 Old 07-16-2011, 01:46 PM

Have been watching my 55vt30 a lot since I got it yesterday. Blu-ray, cable, videogames etc. No changing black levels before or after firmware update. No issues with anything. Got tired of watching everything in standard for break in so have used thx, custom and vivid. Only saw retention twice and both gone within minutes. Was an lcd owner and considered the vt30, Sammy pn59d8000, and Sammy un55d8000. All offered to me at below U.S. retail so cost was not an issue. Panasonic stood out in the crowd the Sammy plasma looked as good as most and not as good as some. Led was great but noticed motion blur in my different types of programs even at medium movement and picture was just as detailed but glossy and "I'm watching tv" looking vs the looking through a window without glass look of the Panny. Panny won out. Got over the burn-in fear after much research and talking to people. Very happy with my choice. 3d totally crosstalk free. Impressive.
Everything looks perfect especially Pixar films.
post #1268 of 6439 Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Just bought the 55" vt30. It still in the box. I hope to move my sony rptv soon and start to break in the panny- my first plasma. I hope mine doesn't have any issues.
post #1269 of 6439 Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanVoodo View Post

Have been watching my 55vt30 a lot since I got it yesterday. Blu-ray, cable, videogames etc. No changing black levels before or after firmware update. No issues with anything. Got tired of watching everything in standard for break in so have used thx, custom and vivid. Only saw retention twice and both gone within minutes. Was an lcd owner and considered the vt30, Sammy pn59d8000, and Sammy un55d8000. All offered to me at below U.S. retail so cost was not an issue. Panasonic stood out in the crowd the Sammy plasma looked as good as most and not as good as some. Led was great but noticed motion blur in my different types of programs even at medium movement and picture was just as detailed but glossy and "I'm watching tv" looking vs the looking through a window without glass look of the Panny. Panny won out. Got over the burn-in fear after much research and talking to people. Very happy with my choice. 3d totally crosstalk free. Impressive.
Everything looks perfect especially Pixar films.

IMO, stay away from vivid mode (I just use THX and love it, the only change I made was from Warm 2 to Warm 1).
post #1270 of 6439 Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

IMO, stay away from vivid mode (I just use THX and love it, the only change I made was from Warm 2 to Warm 1).

Yes SpartanVodoo follow the break-in rules the first few hundred hours of the TV. You will get the most out of your set and protect your investment.
post #1271 of 6439 Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post

Just bought the 55" vt30. It still in the box. I hope to move my sony rptv soon and start to break in the panny- my first plasma. I hope mine doesn't have any issues.

Let us know what you think, I am sure you will be happy with the switch.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #1272 of 6439 Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 PM

I had my TC-P65VT30 calibrated by ISF calibrator and I'm pleased with the color results. However, this morning I noticed while watching CNN - Candy Crowley interviewing Rudy Giuliani - jaggered edges on the outer edge of Giuliani's black lapels as well as jaggered movement of his houndstooth dress shirt pattern. Is there an adjustment that I can make to eliminate/prevent this problem?
post #1273 of 6439 Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wepratt View Post

I had my TC-P65VT30 calibrated by ISF calibrator and I'm pleased with the color results. However, this morning I noticed while watching CNN - Candy Crowley interviewing Rudy Giuliani - jaggered edges on the outer edge of Giuliani's black lapels as well as jaggered movement of his houndstooth dress shirt pattern. Is there an adjustment that I can make to eliminate/prevent this problem?

Even if you had FiOS, I would still say that it was most likely the broadcast. Do you see that kind of quality demonstrated on bluray material?
post #1274 of 6439 Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Doing full screen (1.85:1) and cable (with no bars or fixed logos) viewing, and running Apple TV photo slideshow when I'm not watching it. If I understand the threads correctly, this should help. Looks awesome so far!
post #1275 of 6439 Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM

John, I think you're right. I have not incurred the problem since the Sunday CNN Candy Crowley Show. Also no problem with 3D and blu-ray. Tks.
post #1276 of 6439 Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM

I have seen FBr while playing around with 'test patterns' in windows but you know what: every single time I've seen a noticeable and bothersome brightness shift while watching a movie if I drag that movie over to my LCD monitor and play it the scene change again it does the exact same thing.

I know the brightness isn't rock solid but if you see a big shift I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on the TV. Thanks to all the FBr talk I now notice that most content I watch, perhaps because of the compression, has 'FBr' built right into it. Thanks AVS
post #1277 of 6439 Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 PM

I purchased the 55vt30 about a week ago. It was listed as being on back order and they said the wait was about 5 weeks.
I called the customer support line and she moved my order for retention at a different warehouse, which moved me from a 5 week wait to a 1 week wait ROCK!!!. I didnt even ask them to do that, I was just checking in on the order to see if I could get a more definitive date, and when the lady saw 5 weeks on her computer screen she mumbled "Oh that wont do at all" lol. So far i am pleased with customer support and I absolutely cant wait to get this puppy into my house. I did tons of research and I started out my search convinced that an LED full array with local dimming TV was what I was going to snag. I have always owned LCD's and have strayed away from plasma. Now im glad I got the nerve up to check out this new line of panasonics. That one piece of glass all the way to the bezel look is pleasing indeed. I will post pics up once I get the Tv mounted. I feel all giddy like a school girl right now.
post #1278 of 6439 Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIALxTONE View Post

I purchased the 55vt30 about a week ago. It was listed as being on back order and they said the wait was about 5 weeks.
I called the customer support line and she moved my order for retention at a different warehouse, which moved me from a 5 week wait to a 1 week wait ROCK!!!. I didnt even ask them to do that, I was just checking in on the order to see if I could get a more definitive date, and when the lady saw 5 weeks on her computer screen she mumbled "Oh that wont do at all" lol. So far i am pleased with customer support and I absolutely cant wait to get this puppy into my house. I did tons of research and I started out my search convinced that an LED full array with local dimming TV was what I was going to snag. I have always owned LCD's and have strayed away from plasma. Now im glad I got the nerve up to check out this new line of panasonics. That one piece of glass all the way to the bezel look is pleasing indeed. I will post pics up once I get the Tv mounted. I feel all giddy like a school girl right now.

Let us know...I'm on the fence when it comes to this set due to an 85u I had with ten blinks

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #1279 of 6439 Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Liked: 13
I'm thinking of buying the VT30,but I've red in another forum that it has issue's,so did any of you owner's experienced any problems with the TV,do you think I should go for it or what for the LG's LW9500 or until next year.
post #1280 of 6439 Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 PM

I have some questions concerning connecting a Onkyo NR609 to a Panasonic TCP65VT30 plasma tv. If I run the HDMI connections from my source equipment (i.e., Satellite receiver, Blu Ray player, PS3, etc.) direct into the hdmi inputs of the Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver and run HDMI out from the "HDMI Out" from the NR609 to the "HDMI 1 -ARC (Audio Return Channel)" on the Panasonic TCP65VT30, I can receive video and all receiver supported audio formats by changing to the corresponding input on the NR609 Receiver (example - I have the Directv Sat receiver connected to the "Sat/Cbl" HDMI input and can see and hear the video and audion output by pressing "Sat/Cbl" button on the NR609.

However, if I connect any of the source components directly into the HDMI inputs on the TV (I still have the HDMI - ARC Input 1 on Panny connected to the HDMI Out input on the receiver) and the digital out from the Panny connected to the digital in input on the NR609, I can't select the audio formats from the receiver nor can I receive DD, DTS, or any of the other audio supported by the reciever that I get when I plug the components directly into the appropriate HDMI Inputs on the receiver.

Some one please help. I want to be able to plug directly into the Panny's HDMI inputs and receive the audio formats.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
post #1281 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lman12 View Post

I have some questions concerning connecting a Onkyo NR609 to a Panasonic TCP65VT30 plasma tv. If I run the HDMI connections from my source equipment (i.e., Satellite receiver, Blu Ray player, PS3, etc.) direct into the hdmi inputs of the Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver and run HDMI out from the "HDMI Out" from the NR609 to the "HDMI 1 -ARC (Audio Return Channel)" on the Panasonic TCP65VT30, I can receive video and all receiver supported audio formats by changing to the corresponding input on the NR609 Receiver (example - I have the Directv Sat receiver connected to the "Sat/Cbl" HDMI input and can see and hear the video and audion output by pressing "Sat/Cbl" button on the NR609.

However, if I connect any of the source components directly into the HDMI inputs on the TV (I still have the HDMI - ARC Input 1 on Panny connected to the HDMI Out input on the receiver) and the digital out from the Panny connected to the digital in input on the NR609, I can't select the audio formats from the receiver nor can I receive DD, DTS, or any of the other audio supported by the reciever that I get when I plug the components directly into the appropriate HDMI Inputs on the receiver.

Some one please help. I want to be able to plug directly into the Panny's HDMI inputs and receive the audio formats.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

When you run audio through the TV to a receiver, the source audio signal gets downmixed to stereo. The exception is OTA digital signals, which retain their audio format (DD 5.1, DD 2.1, etc) when you have a digital out to the receiver (ARC or optical).

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #1282 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Is there any danger in setting the backlight to maximum in the first 100 hours (or ever)? The room is a little brighter sometimes than I would like.

Thanks.
post #1283 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

I'm thinking of buying the VT30,but I've red in another forum that it has issue's,so did any of you owner's experienced any problems with the TV,do you think I should go for it or what for the LG's LW9500 or until next year.

Please do share the issues that are show stoppers for you.

Also the LG is in an entirely different class. Probably your closest bet is the samsung 8000 series for this year.
post #1284 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is there any danger in setting the backlight to maximum in the first 100 hours (or ever)? The room is a little brighter sometimes than I would like.

Thanks.

Are you sure it's the vt30 you mean?
post #1285 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Thanks.

When you say backlight you are talking about an LCD tv. A plasma tv's pixels are self illuminating, so you can call it contrast.

There's only a possibility of image retention from static images that can accumulate over time. Like station logos or score banners or black bars. No harm to the tv otherwise by just watching full screen content.
post #1286 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Sorry, but there's a control for the illumination called "panel brightness" in the pro settings. That's what I was referring to. Is that like all the other pro settings, which generally should not be touched except by a pro calibration tech?
post #1287 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

Every display has issues, especially when you read these types of forums. I love my VT30, and have had no problems whatsoever. I wouldn't trade it for any display from Samsung or LG.
post #1288 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Sorry, but there's a control for the illumination called "panel brightness" in the pro settings. That's what I was referring to. Is that like all the other pro settings, which generally should not be touched except by a pro calibration tech?

Using the "High" setting for panel brightness on these sets will give you a very inaccurate picture. Leave it at low or mid.

THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #1289 of 6439 Old 07-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Anybody connecting this TV with a gaming PC? I'm building a high-end rig right now and plan to connect it to my VT30 for Battlefield 3 at max settings in 3d. If so how is quality 2d/3d (frame-rate, Res)?

Sorry if a little off topic...
post #1290 of 6439 Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Using the "High" setting for panel brightness on these sets will give you a very inaccurate picture. Leave it at low or mid.

Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page