Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the rainbow effect I get on double pane windows due to some moisture that can get inside when there is condensation. You might blow a little warm air on the glass surface with a hair dryer and see if that has an effect. If in fact moisture has gotten under the single glass it may well be a manufacturing defect entitling you to a replacement. I am not sure how airtight the glass is but if you have a humidifier in the vicinity of the TV that could aggravate the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Too late for me (my 55" VT30 is being delivered tomorrow).

Keep your receipts. According to a Panny employee who posts on the "other" site (HDJ), Panny will encourage dealers to make the offer retroactive if you come in and ask for it.
post #183 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Over on another forum, D-NICE chimed in and said the rising MLL issues was not fixed for 2011 models (though it might be improved). These was some speculation that it was. I have a vt25 (which I love BTW) and was considering switching to the VT30 just for fun but now I am not so sure it is worth it for me.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #184 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRogue View Post

Either my TV doesn't have fluctuations, or I totally miss them...

PC/PS3 Gaming, Movies, Comcrap Cable... So either people make these things up to have something to complain about, or my eyes just aren't good enough to spot them, because I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with my TV, just that its big, its bright and I have zero regrets buying it.

(P.S. Are there repeatable steps to reproduce this fluctuation thing, so I can actively watch for it?)

Please be happy with your tv. If you don't see a problem, why go looking for it? Instead, go looking for the top 5 blu-rays that make your set look fantastic.
post #185 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I appreciate people posting both the postivies and the issues they are experiencing with this new model. I was thinking about buying it but I haven't heard of any dramatic improvements over last years models and still some issues with the newest model. I think I'll get my old CRT fixed up and wait yet another year for something as good as a KURO. I was hoping this was the year.

The positive with this perspective is you are getting a lot of value from that CRT!

For me at least, the Kuro legend is out of control on this board. Same for the slavish devotion to mll numbers.

The better plasmas out there for the past few years probably all have some significant advantages over your crt. Waiting is certainly your choice but you are foregoing years of viewing pleasure in the hope of eventually getting a slightly better image regarding one aspect of picture quality. Yes, mll is very important. But a solid mll combined with outstanding other qualities still makes for a great experience. And multiple tvs offer that right now.
post #186 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Keep your receipts. According to a Panny employee who posts on the "other" site (HDJ), Panny will encourage dealers to make the offer retroactive if you come in and ask for it.

Will do. Even if they take away the box, I'll have them cut off the UPC label for any such promotions.
post #187 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Either my TV doesn't have fluctuations, or I totally miss them...

Since we have been watching in THX, I have not seen any more fluctuations.
post #188 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
All a set owner would have to do after the calibration is switch from day to night modes on the TV to achieve the best picture results for the room.

what exactly does this mean? How do I find and switch this setting on my VT30? I do see a setting for ambient light, and its set to either yes or auto...I don't recall.
post #189 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

Looks like the rainbow effect I get on double pane windows due to some moisture that can get inside when there is condensation. You might blow a little warm air on the glass surface with a hair dryer and see if that has an effect. If in fact moisture has gotten under the single glass it may well be a manufacturing defect entitling you to a replacement. I am not sure how airtight the glass is but if you have a humidifier in the vicinity of the TV that could aggravate the problem.

No there is no humidity in the house. I will have no problems returning the set for another but may not get it till next week, does anyone think this is a issue I should exchange the set for. Just as a test I tried the same thing on my g20 and all the color patterns were uniform.
post #190 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My 55" VT30 was delivered this afternoon. I hear absolutely no Buzz (I was worried since it's in a wall unit). PQ looked incredible while hooking everything up (coming from a 720p DLP). Will play with it more tonight.
post #191 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post

what exactly does this mean? How do I find and switch this setting on my VT30? I do see a setting for ambient light, and its set to either yes or auto...I don't recall.

The isf day/night modes can only be unlocked with the proper calibration software. Otherwise you can setup custom mode for day and THX for night. The difference is in your brightness and gamma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #192 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

My 55" VT30 was delivered this afternoon. I hear absolutely no Buzz (I was worried since it's in a wall unit). PQ looked incredible while hooking everything up (coming from a 720p DLP). Will play with it more tonight.

I hear a slight buzz on mine but only if my ear is right behind the set. If I move even a foot away I can't hear it anymore.
post #193 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Will the TV record to a network location, such as a NAS drive, or only to the USB/SD card?

post #194 of 6439 Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

Will the TV record to a network location, such as a NAS drive, or only to the USB/SD card?

You are referring to the European spec VT30, right? This feature has been denied to us in the U.S., but it sure would be nice to learn there is some way to add it via a firmware type fix. Do we have any AVS hackers in the house?
post #195 of 6439 Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Just bought a 65" VT30 at my local Magnolia store. How they had one in stock, I have no idea. They said they had it downstairs in a box for immediate delivery so I pounced on it. Delivery next Saturday...will have it wall mounted shortly after that.

EDIT: Of course, I just saw Cleveland Plasma got them in stock! Wish I had known...would have saved me significant $. Ohh well. At least I got 0% financing for 24 months.
post #196 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Ok, here's the deal. I've had this set for about 10 days and all i can say is WOW! The 3d is nice but the 2d picture in hd is drop dead georgous. I've only had lcd tv's in the past and this is my first plasma tv. I fully understand what they mean now about plasma having a better picture. THX mode is so good. I'm really glad i pulled the trigger on this purchase.
post #197 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpur1622 View Post

Ok, here's the deal. I've had this set for about 10 days and all i can say is WOW! The 3d is nice but the 2d picture in hd is drop dead georgous. I've only had lcd tv's in the past and this is my first plasma tv. I fully understand what they mean now about plasma having a better picture. THX mode is so good. I'm really glad i pulled the trigger on this purchase.

I got mine on Friday, and also love THX mode for all sources (skin colors are so accurate, and the mode is not too dim at all, a complaint about THX on previous years).
post #198 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 PM

How does this Tv compare to the 850u? I'll be going from a 50" to a 65".

I'm on the list for the 65" from Cleveland Plasma so hopefully my name will come up soon to be contacted.

-Lou

post #199 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a Panny 110 BluRay player connected to my VT30 via HDMI, and to a 2-channel stereo pre-amp via analog outs. For some BluRay discs, I can hear the audio through my stereo just fine (so the wiring and set-up must be OK), but for many movies, I can only get audio through my TV speakers. Even stranger, I tried the BluRay version of Alien, selected director's cut version, and it starts with the director giving a brief talk, which played fine through my stereo, but when the movie started, it only played through the TV speakers.

I had no audio problems before getting my VT30 this past Friday. I used to have an 8-year-old DLP, and the wiring was the same except that I had an HDMI/DVI adapter on the HDMI wire going to the DLP. The audio always played through the stereo just fine.

I have gone through every set-up menu in the plasma and player, but cannot get the player to output audio through both the HDMI and analog outs (and turning off HDMI audio in the BluRay player menu did not help). Any suggestions? I have also posted in the 110 thread, and have emailed Panasonic.

Addendum: Both my HD-DVD player and my cable box (Fios) are connected to the VT30 via HDMI, and they both successfully send analog audio to my stereo pre-amp w/o any problems. Also, the BluRay player works fine for SD DVDs (audio to the VT30 and pre-amp simultaneously). It's just with BluRay discs that I can't get audio to the pre-amp.
post #200 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
When the movie starts the BD player switches to master audio or DTS which won't go through the tv. In my BD60's audio menu I can turn off the advanced audio and have it output standard audio I believe. It is buried in the menu and you may need to have the BD playing to see the menu.
post #201 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

I see lots of posts about the larger models. However i am in the market for multiple 42 inch plasmas. Anyone have thoughts on the 42 incher?
post #202 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafopt View Post

I see lots of posts about the larger models. However i am in the market for multiple 42 inch plasmas. Anyone have thoughts on the 42 incher?

You might check on the ST30 thread instead.

post #203 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

You might check on the ST30 thread instead.

Sorry I thought this thread included all sizes. Still learning to navigate thru the forums... obviously.
post #204 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafopt View Post

Sorry I thought this thread included all sizes. Still learning to navigate thru the forums... obviously.

It does but only for the VT30 series which doesn't include a 42" model. The ST30 thread includes all sizes of that model line.

Calibration Resources:

post #205 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

I saw the 65" VT-30 at my local BB Friday, had just arrived. It was very impressive, like the one sheet of glass design, thinner bezel and damn good blacks. It was stuck in torch mode for display (vivid mode), I found remote and switched it to THX, big improvement. LOL, the damn thing automatically switches back to torch after about 10 minutes. Colors looked very accurate in THX, but a calibration would likely help quite a bit with gamma and I think light output.

The D7000 and D8000 Sammies were nearby, I liked the panny alot better. Hate the silver bezel on the D8000 and the awful silver crows feet on the D7000, plus blacks not as deep. But none of them quite match my KRP in 2D pq, but that VT30 seems to be getting damn close. The 3D seems much improved from last year, the glasses are alot better, they had Tron showing in 3D and it looked really good. My brother is getting ready to get one from VE, preburned in and calibrated.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #206 of 6439 Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Is the pic quality of the VT30 much of an improvement over last years VT25 which was considered by most reviews to be excellent? Any compelling reason to upgrade now or wait a few years?
post #207 of 6439 Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can't wait to see the VT30...........but have not found a store in Edmonton that has them yet. The Samsung D8000 that I looked at does not have anything near a Silver bezel.........it is very dark....I would call it black-ish and extremely nice looking.
post #208 of 6439 Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedbeyond View Post

Here are 2 crappy cell phone pics of what I am seeing.

Oh yeah, that "One **** of glas" design... Terrible!

I don't know why Panasonic came back to that front filter (in a front of panel).
Pioneer lost it with 6th generation, Panasonic since Z1 an VT/GT20-25 Models.

And now this: "one **** of glas" again! Just terrible!

PS did you notice, that when you looking at the VT30 from a side, you can even see the picture any more... Most of LCDs have now better viewing angle that VT30 Series.

Back to the past...

Joshy
post #209 of 6439 Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-Junky View Post

Oh yeah, that "One **** of glas" design... Terrible!

I don't know why Panasonic came back to that front filter (in a front of panel).
Pioneer lost it with 6th generation, Panasonic since Z1 an VT/GT20-25 Models.

And now this: "one **** of glas" again! Just terrible!

PS did you notice, that when you looking at the VT30 from a side, you can even see the picture any more... Most of LCDs have now better viewing angle that VT30 Series.

Back to the past...

Joshy

I disagree. My VT30 has excellent viewing angles.
post #210 of 6439 Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 AM

My 65VT30 is set for delivery for May 21, Must you use a Panasonic 3D Blu Ray player, or can you use different brands(i.e. Samsung 3d Blu ray with vt55 tv)?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page