Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 83 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2461 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

So here are my planned connections for Sunday when I finish up my panel prep...can someone verify that this will work?

My equipment:
Panasonic 65VT30
Onkyo 707 (HDMI 1.3a) receiver
Panasonic BDT-310 Blu-ray player
Comcast 3400 HD DVR
Xbox 360
PS3

I plan to connect them this way:

DVR -> HDMI 1 on display (for 3D), Optical 1 on receiver
Blu-ray -> HDMI 2 on display (via main output) and also -> receiver HDMI 1 (via second HDMI output)
360 -> receiver HDMI 2
PS3 -> receiver HDMI 3
*The above two then connected to HDMI 3 on display*

I know my receiver can't utilize the ARC of HDMI, as it's not 1.4, and I intend to use the BDP-310 for all the VieraCast stuff (primarily Pandora and Netflix). Any problems with this?

Thanks!

That's how I did it since I have a lagacy AVR (Onkyo 706). I was very happy to also get the Pany 310 with 2 HDMI's. Very cool indeed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

I'm wondering why you are taking my post the wrong way. As you said, everyone is allowed their opinion. I thought this thread was for this. Seems someone just replied liking my link. I was clear stating they all have flaws. Whatever reason why I seemed to push the wrong button with you. Seems it may be related to another recent discussion that I won't bring up.

Enjoy your weekend. I will with my VT.

Robert

Not sure how you thought I was annoyed with you. I just don't want to.drag this thread into a vortex.
post #2463 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post

That's how I did it since I have a lagacy AVR (Onkyo 706). I was very happy to also get the Pany 310 with 2 HDMI's. Very cool indeed..

The only issue I.see is.if.the OP wants 3D games then they'll need a splitter or not get HD sound from the.gaming systems.
post #2464 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Long story short from a post I made a couple weeks ago, my online retailer replaced my P65VT30 with a new one (defective one needed a panel replacement) and I have a new question.

If you are doing a 100 hour burn-in, can you watch regular TV for a couple of hours every so often (once a day) without effecting the burn-in process? Really hard not to watch the main TV of the house with the world series and football over the weekend.

PS The replacement is awesome! No defect issues whatsoever and it is an August build, so hopefully I have all the right boards and fixes with this set too.
post #2465 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Interesting, so you're saying that you no longer have your Sharp Elite? Why? Which display do you own now?

Robert

Robert. I also owned a pro 60 fd. I just was not impressed. The biggest disappointment was the off axis. Dead on great picture. Slight angle. Wash out.

The motion was another thing. Lots of judder. Some judder even with motion enhancer off. Bottom line. It's just an expensive LCD. It's a Bravia on crack.
post #2466 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Fine, I'll concede half way , sure the Sharp Elite is the best. I've seen it several time in the Magnolia but preferred the VT30 best even with the known flaws all to quickly pointed out here . Still I find $5k hard to justify and sounds like someone that posted above saying they were a previous Sharp Elite owner feels the same way (even though I was wondering his reason) but hey, its just money .

Robert

This is similar to my opinion of the two sets. To me the VT30 looked as good or better and I've been to my local Magnolia a few times looking at both of the sets. I just couldn't justify the extra $5K especially when I'll probably replace it in 4-5 years. My 65VT30 arrives tomorrow.
post #2467 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebononcini View Post

If you are doing a 100 hour burn-in, can you watch regular TV for a couple of hours every so often (once a day) without effecting the burn-in process? Really hard not to watch the main TV of the house with the world series and football over the weekend.

I've got my slides ready to go but not watching the new set for four days is going to be tough, especially on Sunday.
post #2468 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinsdad View Post

...It's just an expensive LCD. It's a Bravia on crack.

My sentiments exactly!

post #2469 of 6436 Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 PM

I was at AV store here in the Los Angeles area checking out speakers and I mentioned I recently bought the VT30. He looked at me and asked if I looked at the Sharp Elite. Even though I already have a new TV he was dead set on showing me his pride and joy.

He went on about how this was best TV and such while I checked out the underwater scene on the Elite. I looked at my wife to see if she saw what I did. As the fish swam by, motion judder. Saw it and it tuned me off immediately.

I'm happy with my VT30 and what is cost. Nice upgrade from my older Elite Pro-910. Not perfect, but what is.
post #2470 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 AM

To celebrate a new job, I'm in the market for the best 55" 3D display on the market. My search inevitably lead me to the VT30, which I'm 99% sold on, without having seen it in person. I'm assuming it would be wise to wait until Black Friday to snag one of these TVs? Has anyone ever used the Amazon Warehouse deal (used) site? Is that considered price talk? Maybe so...I haven't posted here in forever...
post #2471 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post

My sentiments exactly!

When the price drops in half then maybe i will go for a Elite.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #2472 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post

I was at AV store here in the Los Angeles area checking out speakers and I mentioned I recently bought the VT30. He looked at me and asked if I looked at the Sharp Elite. Even though I already have a new TV he was dead set on showing me his pride and joy.

He went on about how this was best TV and such while I checked out the underwater scene on the Elite. I looked at my wife to see if she saw what I did. As the fish swam by, motion judder. Saw it and it tuned me off immediately.

I'm happy with my VT30 and what is cost. Nice upgrade from my older Elite Pro-910. Not perfect, but what is.

I noticed that as well.. Poor motion on the 70" elite I saw at best buy.. I couldn't get a hold of the remote to see if there was a motion judder feature to be turned on or not. I'll have to check out the online manual.
post #2473 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Sound & Vision and tym2relax

Were these in Magnolia stores located inside BBs or have the Elites started showing up in regular BB stores?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2474 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Were these in Magnolia stores located inside BBs or have the Elites started showing up in regular BB stores?

The one's I've seen are in Magnolia Stores inside BB's. I have not been by my local Fry's to see if they have the Elite.
post #2475 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Yes, Magnolia store in best buy.
post #2476 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Why would someone want to spend 5000.00 on a tv? I mean my gosh, it'll be outdated In a few years, it's made by sharp, and the economy is crap. Of course if ur super rich go ahead, but it'll break after a few years that's sharp
post #2477 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Why would someone want to spend 5000.00 on a tv? I mean my gosh, it'll be outdated In a few years, it's made by sharp, and the economy is crap. Of course if ur super rich go ahead, but it'll break after a few years that's sharp

The same argument can be made for spending $3K on a TV.
post #2478 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm getting everything ready to run D-Nice's setup slides. Once completed and I'm ready to apply the reference settings how do I know if my set has the updated EPROM? It looks like only the MJ series has been updated?

How much of a difference is the setup slides really going to make? Are most of you doing this?
post #2479 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Looking forward to the new Hr24 update . D-nice had told me the new update is in 1080p and looks very Kuro esque.

Can't wait to try it out on the Vt30. Anyone else here know of the release of the update?

Go over to dbstalk, look for the cutting edge thread under DirecTV, we have had this update now in beta for a several months yet. Every weekend there is a window of opportunity in which you can download the beta code, there is zero support and it is all at your own risk. It is just a matter of typing in a sequence on your remote when booting during the window the software is seeding. They will announce updates as well before each window. This is not for the casual user, but those use to beta testing as you can have issues, so far no issues with the new GUI for me for several months now. You can also go back to the national release as well.
post #2480 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Liked: 19
$5,500 for any piece of electronic equipment is ALOT in my opinion but maybe I wouldn't feel that way if I were independently wealthy.

Alas, I am not independently wealthy so spending that kind of cash on anything really is a huge consideration as far as I'm concerned. Especially when that money isn't providing a greater return for my investment.

I don't care what anyone says, Sharp is trading on the "ELITE" name and followers are doing just that, following. Now there's nothing neccessarily wrong with that however as we all have our brand bias' for our own various reasons and if yours is the ELITE (Sharp) brand in particular, great, enjoy. I personally just don't think any of the "ELITE" TVs are truly worth what Sharp is selling them for even if they were near flawless which they apparently are not.

Is the ELITE LED/LCD a great TV? In most respects, yes, that's why it won the shootout but is it $3,500 better than the performance of either the VT30 or D8000? NO WAY IN H*LL!

Fact is, these are all great televisons considering today's technology. They're all flawed in one way or another and each of them are only separated by miniscule differences in the greater picture of their overall performance. You really can't go wrong owning either of them as they're all at the very top of today's TV offerings.

Whichever one you're watching, I hope you're enjoying it to the fullest regardless of whatever's been said anywhere about it.
post #2481 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

Go over to dbstalk, look for the cutting edge thread under DirecTV, we have had this update now in beta for a several months yet. Every weekend there is a window of opportunity in which you can download the beta code, there is zero support and it is all at your own risk. It is just a matter of typing in a sequence on your remote when booting during the window the software is seeding. They will announce updates as well before each window. This is not for the casual user, but those use to beta testing as you can have issues, so far no issues with the new GUI for me for several months now. You can also go back to the national release as well.

Ill check it out. Thanks bra
post #2482 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Robert. I also owned a pro 60 fd. I just was not impressed. The biggest disappointment was the off axis. Dead on great picture. Slight angle. Wash out.

The motion was another thing. Lots of judder. Some judder even with motion enhancer off. Bottom line. It's just an expensive LCD. It's a Bravia on crack.

Interesting, good to know.

Robert
post #2483 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

This is similar to my opinion of the two sets. To me the VT30 looked as good or better and I've been to my local Magnolia a few times looking at both of the sets. I just couldn't justify the extra $5K especially when I'll probably replace it in 4-5 years. My 65VT30 arrives tomorrow.

Good to hear you and others feel the same way about the Sharp Elite. I'm sure the target audience are those that like a very bright picture where it is better than any other LCD / LED display since some don't like or have the lighting or lack of lighting for a plasma.

Congratulation on your 65 VT30!

Robert
post #2484 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMagic View Post

To celebrate a new job, I'm in the market for the best 55" 3D display on the market. My search inevitably lead me to the VT30, which I'm 99% sold on, without having seen it in person. I'm assuming it would be wise to wait until Black Friday to snag one of these TVs? Has anyone ever used the Amazon Warehouse deal (used) site? Is that considered price talk? Maybe so...I haven't posted here in forever...

I know I'm in the minority on this but my Magnolia actually priced matched Abe's from Maine on the VT30 55". Even the sales person was surprised by the manager's approval. My BB has approved many times Amazon prices but seems many others here say their BB won't price match internet and even one said they wouldn't honor Fry's Electronics which is kind of crazy to me. I guess you can try and see. My wife is the one that always asks since she has a 1000% batting average. Seems she gets things that I never would be able to if I asked.

Good luck! It seems as far as Black Friday goes, I've seen in my area that prices on some items are actually higher on during this time since they feel most assume they are getting a great deal. Stores are typically selective on what they have on sale during Black Friday and usually it is a lower line such as the ST or maybe GT series but my guess is that it wouldn't be on the VT. I could be wrong on this but would say buy one if you find a great deal. I for one would recommend a brick and mortor store but many here have bought successfully on the internet, just a bigger hassle if you need to return for any reason. A store like BB will at least allow 30 days along with matching the price during this time if it goes lower. I've been watching and Abe's is the same price which I feel very good about. It is towards the end of the VT30 cycle so prices are about $1,000 lower than when it was first released.

Robert
post #2485 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if anyone would be willing to share this but an ISF calibrator in my area, don't want to drop his name, said there is a way to access a menu on the VT30 that will show the total hours viewed. Does anyone know how to access this? This would be a huge benefit to know how many hours are on the display before arranging for an ISF calibration.

Yes, I realize folks may not want to share this since possible to change something when in the menu but heard you can simply turn the display off to get out of with no harm, not sure if there is a return to get out of the menu or not. Anyway I would assume the risk to be able to view the hours every now and then as the weeks go by.

Ideas on this???

Thanks,
Robert
post #2486 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if anyone would be willing to share this but an ISF calibrator in my area, don't want to drop his name, said there is a way to access a menu on the VT30 that will show the total hours viewed. Does anyone know how to access this? This would be a huge benefit to know how many hours are on the display before arranging for an ISF calibration.

Thanks,
Robert

This should work...I used it on the VT25 and my currrent vT30. You'll also see how many times the set has been powered on.
Hours of operation instructions:

1. Enter Service Menu (Hold Vol. - down on the TV while pressing the INFO button on the remote 3 times).
2. Press the {2} button on the remote to see SRV-TOOL.
3. Press the {OK} button. A blue grid will appear.
4. Cursor down to the PTCT :00.00.00.00.00 line and then cursor over to the right to highlight the empty box.
5. Press and hold the {MUTE} button on the remote for 3 seconds.
The TIME / COUNT info will be displayed in Hours and Minutes of Operation.
6. To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV for 2 seconds.

The display will re-start by itself.

Note on step #1, first take the volume all the way down, release, then proceed.
post #2487 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post

This should work...I used it on the VT25 and my currrent vT30. You'll also see how many times the set has been powered on.
Hours of operation instructions:

1. Enter Service Menu (Hold Vol. - down on the TV while pressing the INFO button on the remote 3 times).
2. Press the {2} button on the remote to see SRV-TOOL.
3. Press the {OK} button. A blue grid will appear.
4. Cursor down to the PTCT :00.00.00.00.00 line and then cursor over to the right to highlight the empty box.
5. Press and hold the {MUTE} button on the remote for 3 seconds.
The TIME / COUNT info will be displayed in Hours and Minutes of Operation.
6. To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV for 2 seconds.

The display will re-start by itself.

Note on step #1, first take the volume all the way down, release, then proceed.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Robert
post #2488 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 PM

My 65VT30 just arrived. It has an August build date and the serial number is MJ12140386. So mine should have the FB issue? What's the procedure to get it fixed?
post #2489 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

My 65VT30 just arrived. It has an August build date and the serial number is MJ12140386. So mine should have the FB issue? What's the procedure to get it fixed?

No, you have it backwards.

Your August build and MJ s/n means your display has the fix incorporated.

You're all set to enjoy!!!

Congrats!

Robert
post #2490 of 6436 Old 10-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:

No, you have it backwards.

Your August build and MJ s/n means your display has the fix incorporated.

You're all set to enjoy!!!

Congrats!

Robert

Perfect thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page