Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 6439 Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Apparently, none of those. According to the Panasonic Download Info Service it is just to "Update Viera Connect service".

Still waiting...............

That is not the update Gotchaa is talking about. There is one in the works for luminance but it hasn't been released yet and may not be available via firmware download. I'm sure Gotchaa will let us know when it's available and how to get it when it's released.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 6439 Old 11-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Did the VT30 give you the 3D safety screen when you first started up the Oppo? It will always do this when it detects a 3D signal unless you defeat it (must be a lawyer thing )

Assuming you didn't turn warning screen off in the systems menu, if you don't see it, that might suggest it isn't detecting a 3D signal. You might try a cable certified to pass 3D and see if that resolves your problem. (The cable that came with my Oppo wasn't all that great.)

Also, is the Oppo hooked directly to the VT30 or is there a receiver in between?

All good points but I cured my issue.I replaced the HDMI cable with a 3D certified cable and also moved the input end of same cable from HDMI 2 to the HDMI 1 on the VT .It restored my menu adjustments and gave me great 3D effect.All is good in my Plasma World
post #2943 of 6439 Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Is there an option in the service menu to keep the fan on? I am having heat issues with this tv and trying to find options to correct. I remember from a pio 500m this was an option.
post #2944 of 6439 Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvtecaccord View Post

Is there an option in the service menu to keep the fan on? I am having heat issues with this tv and trying to find options to correct. I remember from a pio 500m this was an option.

Do you have the tv mounted on the wall?
post #2945 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 AM

What are the black levels you guys are getting? I'm wondering what I should expect. In the Darkest of movie scenes the black doesn't vanish into the bezel, or even close for me? Idk why but It bothers me seeing such a big difference.

Any opinions?
post #2946 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 204
What kind of room lighting are you viewing the TV in and how did you go about adjusting the brightness setting?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2947 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 04:40 AM

D-Nice settings. The colors and detail are amazing! It really is only the black level that I'm curious about. The room is as dark as I can get it with the only light coming from the PS3 power button and the TV of course.
post #2948 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A totally blacked out room will reveal less that absolute black, black levels. A work around is to use a bias light behind the display or otherwise turn on a lamp in the room.

Also, get one of the calibration DVDs to verify that you've got the correct black level....which is the brightness setting.

You might also want to play around with the brightness setting and see if lowering the setting makes the blacks blacker or only crushes the darker shades just before black.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2949 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Do you have the tv mounted on the wall?

Yes, 3 1/2" clearance from wall.
post #2950 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

A totally blacked out room will reveal less that absolute black, black levels. A work around is to use a bias light behind the display or otherwise turn on a lamp in the room.

Also, get one of the calibration DVDs to verify that you've got the correct black level....which is the brightness setting.

You might also want to play around with the brightness setting and see if lowering the setting makes the blacks blacker or only crushes the darker shades just before black.

MVP2005fan provided this link back on page 94 for a light specifically sold for back of plasmas. I haven't had a chance to read it but plan to soon.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lumesb.htm

Robert
post #2951 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Hey guys I noticed an anomelly with my 65VT 30.There is a slight underscan along the bottom during certian commercials and ads.I am using Size 2 for HD aspect and if I go to Size 1 i can get rid of the underscan as Size 1 is a slight Zoom feature.Is there any other way to adjust under and over scan on these TV's.
post #2952 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post

Hey guys I noticed an anomelly with my 65VT 30.There is a slight underscan along the bottom during certian commercials and ads.I am using Size 2 for HD aspect and if I go to Size 1 i can get rid of the underscan as Size 1 is a slight Zoom feature.Is there any other way to adjust under and over scan on these TV's.

I could be wrong, but that's not an issue with the display but with that particular broadcast as I run into that on a few channels, but most are fine.

post #2953 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxdisciplexxx View Post

D-Nice settings. The colors and detail are amazing! It really is only the black level that I'm curious about. The room is as dark as I can get it with the only light coming from the PS3 power button and the TV of course.

Hi, disciple:

Unfortunately, even the best plasma's black bars can be barely seen in a pitch black room if you are looking for them.

An Ideal-lume light really works very nicely to well to highten perceived contrast as well as reduces eye strain. It will help you achieve the black bars melting into bezel effect you are looking for. It is well worth the modest investment IMHO, and I couldn't do without it in my home theater.

Ultimately, if you want the blackest blacks with optimal contrast, I would respectfully suggest a pro calibration after a few hundred hours or so.

Good luck!
post #2954 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvtecaccord View Post

Yes, 3 1/2" clearance from wall.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have mine 1.5 inches from the wall and haven't encountered any issues.

May I please ask: what symptoms are you having?
post #2955 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Not super happy with Amazon at the moment. My replacement vt30 was supposed to show up today. No call from Ceva today means no tv tomorrow. Looked on the shippers website and they dont show est delivery date till the 22nd. Replacement order was called in on the 12th and I am prime eligible.

Talked to Amazon tonight but of course the large items dept was closed, and they could not get in touch with the shipper. Hopefully this new TV will be perfect, kind of regretting going with Amazon at the moment. Its no fun having a TV sitting in a box in my office that I cant use.

Sorry just venting a bit
post #2956 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

FYI Folks who have been following the firmware update concerns post VE shootout. As I mentioned on HDJ, it was pulled to be improved, a new version is available and we are beginning testing on new code today.

Following models are covered:
TC-P50GT30 TC-P55GT30 TC-P60GT30 TC-P65GT30
TC-P55GT31 TC-P55VT30 TC-P65VT30
TC-P55VT30X TC-P65VT30X

Should have an update by the end of the week on progress.

whats the difference between TC-P65VT30 and TC-P65VT30X?
post #2957 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

whats the difference between TC-P65VT30 and TC-P65VT30X?

Models target towards latin american markets

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #2958 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post

Not super happy with Amazon at the moment. My replacement vt30 was supposed to show up today. No call from Ceva today means no tv tomorrow. Looked on the shippers website and they dont show est delivery date till the 22nd. Replacement order was called in on the 12th and I am prime eligible.

Talked to Amazon tonight but of course the large items dept was closed, and they could not get in touch with the shipper. Hopefully this new TV will be perfect, kind of regretting going with Amazon at the moment. Its no fun having a TV sitting in a box in my office that I cant use.

Sorry just venting a bit

Your situation really sucks but the upside to the prolonged wait hopefully will be that the new set will be flawless and you'll love it. I bought mine online also although not from Amazon, in spite of buying online like you did, I'd never buy such a big ticket item from Amazon. I know that doesn't make much sense since again, I got mine from an online retailer just as you did but I use Amazin for small items like blu-rays, games and other smaller gift type things.

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you in the end because in spite of whatever few faults the VT30s may have, and believe me when I say every brand has its own set of flaws, its a superb HDTV. I've had mine for a little over a month with no issues whatsoever to speak of. Watching Dexter on blu-ray last night I was stunned more than a few times by the pop and outright clarity and detail of some of the scenes and has not been calibrated yet either.

Best of luck.
post #2959 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I could be wrong, but that's not an issue with the display but with that particular broadcast as I run into that on a few channels, but most are fine.

I agree, I see it also on the same one or two channels every time I channel surf. Its only one or two channels have the issue but I see it at the very top of the screen not the bottom as you're seeing. Every other channel is fine so its something in the broadcast signal of those one or two channels, not the VT30.
post #2960 of 6439 Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:

It is most certainly the broadcast of the commercial. Just today I saw a bright green line about 1/4" thick across the whole bottom of my screen on a commercial. Never happens on regular content.

I think the commercials just aren't set up properly to display exactly right sometimes. They are produced from a large number of agencies and I'm sure they vary a lot.

post #2961 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 AM

I need some advice about my cable provider.

I am still loving my VT30 very much, but my HD Cable (provided by Cox-1080i) looks a little less than desirable. Fast moving objects are blocky and objects in the distance are hard to make out and quite blurry. The quality completely varies from channel to channel, for example Animal Planet, Science HD, and the Discovery Channel all provide a mostly decent image quality, but AMC for example, is almost always fairly poor quality. Even my movie channels: HBO, Starz, & Encore look so-so.

Video Games & Blu-rays especially look amazing in almost every regard, so I know that it is not necessarily my TV's fault, because I'm sure the Cox signal being sent to my TV is very compressed and of very poor quality. But my Samsung C7000 had actually very nice 1080i quality, though it still had some blocky features to it. I think the reason I didn't notice it so much on my Samsung, is that the Samsung had an overly processed image that retained (or hid) a lot of the excessive grain & unattractive features from sight.

I have troubleshooted by having switched out DVR's, changing coax cables, changing HDMI cables, switched cable outlets and looked for anything in my VT30 settings that might be turned off that might enhance the 1080i quality by even a little. Nothing has helped, so far.

This is by far not a deal breaker for me on this display, as the Blu-ray content is still phenomenal and I am willing to sacrifice unsatisfying cable content for the outstanding Blu-ray image this TV produces.

I have been contemplating switching from Cox over to Direct TV, as I have heard from quite a few sources that the Direct TV picture quality is worlds better than the compressed cable image and I think that switching would probably help out quite a bit.

Would you guys suggest switching to Direct TV? My mother & step father, who live here also, "like" Cox cable are very skeptical on switching over to Direct TV, because they are worried that Satelite Cable is unreliable, and they have "heard" (probably from my ignorant older brother) that Direct TV isn't a great cable provider. Even though we would be saving quite a bit of money by switching over, as I have explained to them.

Besides switching cable providers, is there anything else I can try to get some better quality from my cable source?

Could something like this help my grainy and blocky cable picture?
post #2962 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempulse View Post

If you tried switching out the cable and replaced the end fittings from Cox to your DVR and tried new cables from the DVR to the TV then more then likely it's there over compressed signal. I have Direct TV and love it! Picture quality is much better then the Comcast I had. I had trouble once with the picture going out but it was due to a loose fitting where water was getting in. Signal will drop from time to time but that's usually in very stormy conditions.
post #2963 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not only do you have an aspect feature to your display, you'll find one on your cable/satellite box too. Be sure to double check the remote on your cable/satellite and try the different aspect settings to be sure you're on the right one.

post #2964 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I am still loving my VT30 very much, but my HD Cable (provided by Cox-1080i) looks a little less than desirable. Fast moving objects are blocky and objects in the distance are hard to make out and quite blurry. The quality completely varies from channel to channel, for example Animal Planet, Science HD, and the Discovery Channel all provide a mostly decent image quality, but AMC for example, is almost always fairly poor quality. Even my movie channels: HBO, Starz, & Encore look so-so.

Video Games & Blu-rays especially look amazing in almost every regard, so I know that it is not necessarily my TV's fault, because I'm sure the Cox signal being sent to my TV is very compressed and of very poor quality. But my Samsung C7000 had actually very nice 1080i quality, though it still had some blocky features to it. I think the reason I didn't notice it so much on my Samsung, is that the Samsung had an overly processed image that retained (or hid) a lot of the excessive grain & unattractive features from sight.

I have troubleshooted by having switched out DVR's, changing coax cables, changing HDMI cables, switched cable outlets and looked for anything in my VT30 settings that might be turned off that might enhance the 1080i quality by even a little. Nothing has helped, so far.

This is by far not a deal breaker for me on this display, as the Blu-ray content is still phenomenal and I am willing to sacrifice unsatisfying cable content for the outstanding Blu-ray image this TV produces.

I have been contemplating switching from Cox over to Direct TV, as I have heard from quite a few sources that the Direct TV picture quality is worlds better than the compressed cable image and I think that switching would probably help out quite a bit.

Would you guys suggest switching to Direct TV? My mother & step father, who live here also, "like" Cox cable are very skeptical on switching over to Direct TV, because they are worried that Satelite Cable is unreliable, and they have "heard" (probably from my ignorant older brother) that Direct TV isn't a great cable provider. Even though we would be saving quite a bit of money by switching over, as I have explained to them.

Besides switching cable providers, is there anything else I can try to get some better quality from my cable source?

I'm experiencing a similiar letdown in PQ on satellite. 720p stations look terrible. 1080i is OK but not as good as on my old Panny PZ800. Same results on OTA reception. I've also taken measures to improve things, ie changed HDMI cables, sat box, had a replacement VT30 delivered, changed the A-board and all with no improvement in overall PQ. Am considering trading in the set for a Samsung D8000....
post #2965 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Gempulse,

Can't b sure where you're problem is originating, poor signal, poor cable box performance or poor video cable performance but I have my cable connected directly into the VT30 from the wall (meaning no cable box processing incoming signal) and 720p/1080i look great. Neither of them look as good as blu-rays over HDMI from my PS3 but they certainly look HD and I don't have any blockiness or other resolution issues on HD channels. You may have a very weak cable signal, I do also, called my provider one day because of poor performance and they verified that my signal was weaker than normal. Standard def channels look only so-so but HD channels appear appropriately HD.

Hope you're able to get the issue corrected, good luck.
post #2966 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Could something like

I've used Directv for years and love it. Compared to FIOS and cable the picture quality in my opinion is vastly superior. Remember that the signal is not as compressed as cable since you are pulling directly from Directv's satellites. In terms of reliability, I sometimes lose signal if its raining or snowing hard but it doesn't always happen. They have all kinds of specials including NFL Sunday tickets and free premium channels for 3months which makes it worthwhile for a new subscriber.
post #2967 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would definitely recommend switching with you swapping many things out with no improvement. I'm sure each area is different but I live in the Pacific Northwest and my Dish satellite service via the two HD receivers I use is excellent. I've posted about it a couple times on this thread. It truly is providing a HD picture that I have nothing at all to complain about. The black, colors, details and fast motion all look great on my VT30. Some are so clear that the movie looks better than many blu-ray movies.

I can't speak about Direct. For all I know, they could be better than DISH from state to state but I would think the HD quality would be hard to tell apart if getting a great signal. DISH is clearly cheaper if that is a concern as their commercials target. Not sure if it is because I've had DISH for so long but they gave me all the STARZ HD channels for a year free. It expires in February I believe. The quality is so good with such great movies on that I'm going to pay and keep the additional HD channels when it expires. With the VT30, it seems silly to enjoy only for blu-rays.

Good luck!

Robert
post #2968 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Be sure your cable/set box is sending a native signal. Let the VT30 do the processing and avoid "double" processing as a result. This will make a noticeable difference. Recently, I got a new cable box and forgot to set the signal to native as it was by default processing everything to 720p. I wondered why everything looked kind of sh*tty.

If you don't know how to set the box, Google the model number and you can find the manual - pretty easy to set it.

post #2969 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post

I'm experiencing a similiar letdown in PQ on satellite. 720p stations look terrible. 1080i is OK but not as good as on my old Panny PZ800. Same results on OTA reception. I've also taken measures to improve things, ie changed HDMI cables, sat box, had a replacement VT30 delivered, changed the A-board and all with no improvement in overall PQ. Am considering trading in the set for a Samsung D8000....

Do you Dish Network?

My TVs picture is a close to my old Sony 40" XBR that I have ever come across and that picture was just but very heavy and small

The only channel I have ever had a problem with is NBC and that was with Comcast and Direct TV with my 40" Sony, my 60" Sony XBR2 and now with my 65" VT30 though it is much better then the previous two TVs. I did how ever borrow a 50" Vizio from Wally World and the one game I watched on it looked as good as all the other channels. But other then that all the HD channels look great!
post #2970 of 6439 Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Forgot to mention that my DISH service is very reliable. The only thing I've noticed is that whenever I do any upgrade, the HD boxes seem to be unreliable with different issues until they finally get one to work. For example, I decided several years ago to move the HD receiver upstairs to another room. The one they installed had trouble. They came out and changed out some items on the actual satellite dish itself. The issue basically still remained. They even shipped me another satellite box to swap out. I thought this was kind of silly since not a lot of folks can or want to deal with swapping out a box with so many connections on the back. I did this and finally fixed the problem.

Then a couple years ago I was required to swap out the box downstairs with a newer style HD receiver since they something about the old one not being compatible for my service. It was all free but again the box installed initially didn't work. The installer had another box on the truck because he knows how flakey they are. Made in China so hit and miss from what he told me. After he swapped it out, it has been rock solid along with the HD receiver upstairs.

I wanted to mention this in case you decide to upgrade. Don't get discouraged if something like this happens. Just be persistent with getting them to come out to get the issue(s) resolved or you'll drop them. This threat even though I use as a last resort always works. Also make sure you have an HDMI cable that is good and will reach from the HD receiver. I've heard some of the boxes won't always work via the HDMI so they might just say use component instead. Many people may not argue with this but just tell them it is unacceptable and you won't stay with them if not exchanged with a box that has the HDMI port working.

Once I've had a stabel HD receiver or satellite dish working and stable, I've had service working for years with great HD service. Oh, the service tech from DISH said he does work for DISH and DIRECT and prefers DISH the best overall. I can't remember now why to tell you the truth but only remember him saying this. I've had dish many years, lost count now, and very happy with no desire to switch at all. Typically DISH has always allowed me to have an upgrade, 1 per year, with no labor cost. Not talking about the fee on the monthly bill but the service call for the work. They will want to charge a small fee if more than one service is requested such as maybe installing another dish satellite and relocating one of the receiver boxes to another room. I went up into the attic myself so the DISH tech just fed me the coax cable to relocate to another room since he mentioned they typically don't get that involved with going into an attic without it being an extra charge but didn't mind not charging since I was doing it with him. I already had the hole drilled in the attic where I simply fed it down through the wall to the room for him to add the plate and coax going to the HD receiver box.

Your family are thinking about the old cable commercials claiming the signal goes out every time the wind blows each day. The service going out for me is extremely rare. I can't remember the last time it went out. Once in a great while it will come up with a strange message telling me to insert some card for accessing a normal channel I always get. You simply hold the power button down 10 seconds to have the receiver box reboot to get things working correctly.

The one other thing to recommend is that you tell them where you want the DISH or DIRECT satellite dishes installed. They will want to install in a place that is easiest for them. I had to be forceful to insist they install both (I have 2) satellite dishes on my roof. The one guy said he could install a bracket on the side of my house. I said absolutely not. It would look tacky for one and not get as good of a signal. I had DISH put instructions saying that the installer would need to have a 25+ foot ladder to reach my roof. Both time someone showed up with a 12 foot ladder acting like they could talk me into doing it differently. I made them leave and called DISH until they sent someone out with a ladder that could reach.

Be insistent they do it the way you want and test before they leave quickly. In the end, you will be happy but wanted to warn you that you could have some initial problems like me. Each person's experience I'm sure may vary.

Good luck!

Robert
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page