Panasonic TC-P50S30 Pixels When Running Scrolling Bar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Back to asking the experts...on Sunday I purchased a Panasonic 50 inch, S30 model. I noticed that when i ran the scrolling bar, there was a greenish pixel (or small cluster, tough to tell) in the upper left corner. It is not there when watching TV or playing Xbox360....it almost seems like they are on that "border" (the thin black box that runs around the perimeter of the panel).

This was Panasonic's response to my inquiry:

"The Plasma panel is made up of a few million pixels and is produced with advanced technology through an intricate process. Sometimes a few pixels may be bright or dark. These pixels do not indicate a defective panel and will have no impact on the performance of the TV."

SO...what gives? Do I have to lug this bad boy back to Best Buy? Anyone else experience something similar?

Thanks!

Joe C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 466
It's not uncommon for a Plasma or LCD to have some wonky pixels here and there. Normally they cannot be seen from anywhere near a normal viewing distance so it's easy to just ignore them.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM

I would lug it back to best buy but I am very pickey! regards
post #4 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

You guys are misunderstanding what he's saying, don't worry about it OP I have a cluster of 4 white pixels that look like there on the border in the top left corner as well when I run the scroll bar and I have the ST version and others have reported the same thing when running the scroll bar.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

MASKOAA, thank you! And to push my luck, I'll ask one more question: did you perform any type of "breaking in" on your plasma?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoeIII View Post

MASKOAA, thank you! And to push my luck, I'll ask one more question: did you perform any type of "breaking in" on your plasma?

I didn't use the color slides if thats what your asking but for the first 100 hours I made sure to watch full screen content with no static images. Make sure to turn on the the overscan so the whole screen is used b/c some channels dont use the entire screen.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post

You guys are misunderstanding what he's saying, don't worry about it OP I have a cluster of 4 white pixels that look like there on the border in the top left corner as well when I run the scroll bar and I have the ST version and others have reported the same thing when running the scroll bar.

I can also confirm this as well. That cluster of pixels only showed up when running the scrolling bar on my GT30. Apart from that, it never appeared. My set had exactly 0 dead or hot pixels which was contrary to the 3 Samsung panels I had before it (hot and/or dead pixels on every one of them). This is my first Panny... are they generally known to have fewer defective pixels than other manufacturers?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

MASKOAA and kinetic758, thanks very much for your input. I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I looked at it closely last night, and that small cluster of pixels are 100% functioning properly outside of the scroll bar. All colors are showing up beautifully.

However, this brings up an interesting question: do I have to worry about IR (or possibly even burn-in) of that small cluster of pixels if I run the scroll bar for an extended period of time? In other words, will I run the risk of those pixels then appearing during cable broadcasts, bluray viewing, or xbox360 gaming if the scroll bar runs for too long (or often)?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoeIII View Post

MASKOAA and kinetic758, thanks very much for your input. I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I looked at it closely last night, and that small cluster of pixels are 100% functioning properly outside of the scroll bar. All colors are showing up beautifully.

However, this brings up an interesting question: do I have to worry about IR (or possibly even burn-in) of that small cluster of pixels if I run the scroll bar for an extended period of time? In other words, will I run the risk of those pixels then appearing during cable broadcasts, bluray viewing, or xbox360 gaming if the scroll bar runs for too long (or often)?

No you shouldnt get burn in from it but truthfully just watching full screen content will be a better way to get rid of slight IR after a gaming session. Just put it on a channel without static imagery and walk away. I play alot of Duty and Gears and this always works best for me. Also things you can do to help with avoiding burn in are in games like COD you can adjust how far away the hud is from the edge of the screen in the options so just move it every couple of games. Or you can use the SIZE 2 option in your TV's menu to only show 95 percent of the screen and that moves HUD's 2, I do that one for Gears from time to time b/c of the super bright huds on a black background.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Liked: 11
How long & often should you run the scrolling bar?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page