post #61 of 176 Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Have you used the different sizes under "Aspect Adjustments" using the size 1 under "H Size"? Could be that or you may just want to run the component cable straight to the television to see if it changed. Could be a problem with the receiver. I never quite understood why people run a component cable from the receiver and from the receiver into the television. Too many cables.

I agree. Check your aspect ratio adjustments. If you are not using a HDMI AVR then I suggest you hook up your DVR directly to the HDMI input on your set for the best picture quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 176 Old 11-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I moved the X3 to the theater room which is completely dark and I've run into a problem. Whites are out of control on this set. I have it set on Cinema with contrast at 50 and they're still so bright that they bleed into other colors on screen giving it a washed out look. I can control it by dialing contrast back down to 30 or below, but then the whole screen just looks dull and lifeless. Because of this, image retention is pretty severe. Just going through the menus for a few seconds leaves IR that takes 10 minutes to get rid of. This was never a problem with my PX80u. I watched 2.35:1 movies right from the start and IR went away pretty quickly. Any suggestions? Otherwise I think I'll just be returning this one. Maybe playing it on Vivid for those months in-store as a display made the whites so bright?
post #63 of 176 Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I moved the X3 to the theater room which is completely dark and I've run into a problem. Whites are out of control on this set. I have it set on Cinema with contrast at 50 and they're still so bright that they bleed into other colors on screen giving it a washed out look. I can control it by dialing contrast back down to 30 or below, but then the whole screen just looks dull and lifeless. Because of this, image retention is pretty severe. Just going through the menus for a few seconds leaves IR that takes 10 minutes to get rid of. This was never a problem with my PX80u. I watched 2.35:1 movies right from the start and IR went away pretty quickly. Any suggestions? Otherwise I think I'll just be returning this one. Maybe playing it on Vivid for those months in-store as a display made the whites so bright?

What is your source? Are you using the HDMI input? I have never experienced color bleed on my set. However, it is a slightly different model. Try using the custom mode and set the contrast higher. Sharpness should be below 30 and color temp normal. I also recommend using the Disney WOW calibration DVD to tweak your settings.

Ian

post #64 of 176 Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

What is your source? Are you using the HDMI input? I have never experienced color bleed on my set. However, it is a slightly different model. Try using the custom mode and set the contrast higher. Sharpness should be below 30 and color temp normal. I also recommend using the Disney WOW calibration DVD to tweak your settings.

Ian

It's on every source, HDMI and HD cable. It's only white bleed, especially on black. Dark scenes are especially hard to follow. Blacks are very inky and dark, but the whites are just too bright. Setting the contrast high in any setting isn't going to help. It makes it worse. Having the brightness higher than the contrast helps a little, but it's still distracting. It looks the same in all of the settings.
post #65 of 176 Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's on every source, HDMI and HD cable. It's only white bleed, especially on black. Dark scenes are especially hard to follow. Blacks are very inky and dark, but the whites are just too bright. Setting the contrast high in any setting isn't going to help. It makes it worse. Having the brightness higher than the contrast helps a little, but it's still distracting. It looks the same in all of the settings.

The brightness should never be higher then your contrast. What are your settings?

Ian

post #66 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The brightness should never be higher then your contrast. What are your settings?

Ian

Cinema:
Contrast - 54
Brightness - 60
Color - 38
Sharpness - 30
Color temp. - Warm 2

All of the other stuff is turned off.
post #67 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Have you used the different sizes under "Aspect Adjustments" using the size 1 under "H Size"? Could be that or you may just want to run the component cable straight to the television to see if it changed. Could be a problem with the receiver. I never quite understood why people run a component cable from the receiver and from the receiver into the television. Too many cables.

When I switch to the channel I see the settings box in the upper left display the inputs, etc and then it lists the aspect as Partial Zoom. But even when I cycle through and return it to Full, the picture is still too big. Even on 4:3, things are cut off. Adding confusion is that when I change to the SD version of the channel, the problem goes away.

I went into settings, and yes, the H size is set to 1. But it's grayed out and I can't get to it. I can only access the first item on the menu (aspect) and it simply cycles through the normal settings. I've looked everywhere else and can't see where it's getting that Partial Zoom setting from.

For right now, I will have to work with the equipment I have. Only the PVR and the TV have HDMI inputs so all that cabling was just my effort to get everything connected. Like I said. I'm pretty stupid about this stuff so if there is a more efficient method I'm all ears.

Thanks to all for their help. This forum is a tremendous asset!
post #68 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:

I agree. Check your aspect ratio adjustments. If you are not using a HDMI AVR then I suggest you hook up your DVR directly to the HDMI input on your set for the best picture quality.

Ian

I've found them, but the only thing I can change on the Aspect Adjustment page is the aspect itself. The H Level = 1 is grayed out.

The DVR is connected by HDMI. It's just the receiver and DVD player that don't have those inputs. Am I harming my picture by using both HDMI and Component inputs?

Thanks so much for your help.
post #69 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

The H-Size should be on H-1 and you can't change it on 1080 signals only 720p or below.
post #70 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:

The H-Size should be on H-1 and you can't change it on 1080 signals only 720p or below.

Well, now I'm even more at a loss. Should I drop back to 720 and readjust it to 0? The X3 is a 720 screen anyhow but I set it at the higher rate because I thought it would be a better picture. I am obviously very weak on upscaling and the whole technology.

So are there any ideas why the Panny thinks it needs to switch to Partial Zoom?
post #71 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festusian View Post

Well, now I'm even more at a loss. Should I drop back to 720 and readjust it to 0? The X3 is a 720 screen anyhow but I set it at the higher rate because I thought it would be a better picture. I am obviously very weak on upscaling and the whole technology.

There are only two adjustments - H-1 and H-2. H-1 is the default and what you want it set on. I'm really not sure what it could be. Sorry.
post #72 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festusian View Post

Make sure your cable box is set to native.

Ian

post #73 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cinema:
Contrast - 54
Brightness - 60
Color - 38
Sharpness - 30
Color temp. - Warm 2

All of the other stuff is turned off.

Try using the custom mode. See my settings. Keep in mind that every panel is different, but it may give you a good starting point. I also recommend a calibration DVD. If you still have a problem, it's either an issue with the set, or maybe you just don't like the new brighter displays.

Custom Mode

Brightness: 54

Contrast: 80

Color: 44

Tint: 0

Color Temp: Norm

Sharpness: 26

Black Level: Light

Ian

post #74 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Setting the contrast that high is going to make the whites brighter, which is the exact opposite of what I want. And those settings are way too bright for a dark room. I'm just going to return it probably.
post #75 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Setting the contrast that high is going to make the whites brighter, which is the exact opposite of what I want. And those settings are way too bright for a dark room. I'm just going to return it probably.

Bad set maybe. My TV is in a room with controlled lighting. It's very dark when I watch movies. I have no brightness issues with those settings. Try sun glasses.

Ian

post #76 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bad set maybe. My TV is in a room with controlled lighting. It's very dark when I watch movies. I have no brightness issues with those settings. Try sun glasses.

Ian

Yeah, I think I just had bad luck with the Panny "lottery".
post #77 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I think I just had bad luck with the Panny "lottery".

Personally, I would never buy a set that was on display. They get a lot of abuse running in the torch mode for several hours a day.

Ian

post #78 of 176 Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Personally, I would never buy a set that was on display. They get a lot of abuse running in the torch mode for several hours a day.

Ian

Apparently. Maybe I'll wait and see if I can get a new one for the same price later on this season.
post #79 of 176 Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Make sure your cable box is set to native.

Ian

I'm looking for that type of setting but haven't found it yet.

After a LONG conversation with Dish support, they're sending me a new PVR. We'll see, I suppose.
post #80 of 176 Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Howdy folks. My dad just got a 50X3 to replace his old DLP that died. Trying to get a better understanding of the different picture modes and some thoughts on settings. Is Standard mode the dim, energy saving out of the box mode I've been reading about for a few years? Does Custom give the brightest picture? How about Cinema? I'll probably throw Ian's settings above in as a starting point. Thanks guys,

jeff
post #81 of 176 Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Howdy folks. My dad just got a 50X3 to replace his old DLP that died. Trying to get a better understanding of the different picture modes and some thoughts on settings. Is Standard mode the dim, energy saving out of the box mode I've been reading about for a few years? Does Custom give the brightest picture? How about Cinema? I'll probably throw Ian's settings above in as a starting point. Thanks guys,

jeff

Hi Jeff! Thanks for the plug . I prefer the custom mode for the best color accuracy and contrast. Gamma seems a bit low compared to the other modes, but after tweaking the brightness and contrast settings, it's no longer an issue for me. As far as your settings are concerned, you can try mine initially, but I suggest you use a good calibration disc like the Disney one, which will allow you to do it more effectively.

Ian

post #82 of 176 Old 11-14-2011, 04:50 AM

Hey all, I just picked up my 42X30M (i am in Israel) and hooked up my laptop. For some reason, none of the settings i played with on both the laptop and also the Panny created a great visual on the TV. I have (I think) an HDMI DVI cable from the laptop going to the HDMI 2 input.

Any help on what the settings are supposed to be in order to increase the crispness of the picture on the TV? Could it have anything to do with the Panny options of PAL/NTSC? I had it hooked up to an LG LCD same way until yesterday and it was fantastic.

Thanks,

Keith
post #83 of 176 Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM

I thought I'd drop by for an update.

Much to my surprise, the refurb 722K that Dish sent has solved the problem with no other adjustments necessary.

Like I said, I'm surprised it was the box but I'm not going to argue with success.
post #84 of 176 Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM

I am thinking of switching to this set. I currently own a LG 32ld450. Its 1080p and this set is 720, heard it doesn't really matter, both look good, barely use my 1080 though.... But i am in a 11x11 apt bedroom and need some input. Gonna get the panny 46x3. IS it a good swap? I just need a bit bigger tv and I have always been a plasma man. It looks better to me.
post #85 of 176 Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPMcD View Post

I am thinking of switching to this set. I currently own a LG 32ld450. Its 1080p and this set is 720, heard it doesn't really matter, both look good, barely use my 1080 though.... But i am in a 11x11 apt bedroom and need some input. Gonna get the panny 46x3. IS it a good swap? I just need a bit bigger tv and I have always been a plasma man. It looks better to me.

You won't get any argument from me. Regardless of the resolution, most Plasmas look much better then comparatively priced LCD's. If you like the 46x3 and you can get it at the right price, go for it, it's a nice TV for the money.

Ian

post #86 of 176 Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:

You won't get any argument from me. Regardless of the resolution, most Plasmas look much better then comparatively priced LCD's. If you like the 46x3 and you can get it at the right price, go for it, it's a nice TV for the money.

Ian

$ 400 isn't bad right? Great best buy deal for black friday. I just need to get my LCD to sale, put it on craigslist for 350. Is that too much? Someone else put out a samsung 32lcd that is the exact same specs as mine and for 350.
post #87 of 176 Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 AM

Settings for Macbook Pro & 42X3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all, I just picked up my 42X30M (I am in Israel) and hooked up my laptop. For some reason, none of the settings I played with on both the laptop and also the Panny created a crisp visual on the TV. I have (I think) an HDMI DVI cable from the laptop going to the HDMI 2 input.

Any help on what the settings are supposed to be in order to increase the crispness of the picture on the TV? Could it have anything to do with the Panny options of PAL/NTSC? I had it hooked up to an LG LCD same way until yesterday and it was fantastic.

I am considering switching the 42" to a 50", but if I can't get the laptop connection clarified, it isn't worth jumping up, as we will certainly watch lots of movies in that manner.

Thanks much,

Keith
post #88 of 176 Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$ 400 isn't bad right? Great best buy deal for black friday. I just need to get my LCD to sale, put it on craigslist for 350. Is that too much? Someone else put out a samsung 32lcd that is the exact same specs as mine and for 350.

You can always come down on the price if you don't get a response. Enjoy your camp out a BB. Hope it's warm where you are.

Ian

post #89 of 176 Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:

You can always come down on the price if you don't get a response. Enjoy your camp out a BB. Hope it's warm where you are.

Ian

Haha I wish it were. Not too warm here... Are pannies the best entry level 42-46" plasmas?
post #90 of 176 Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha I wish it were. Not too warm here... Are pannies the best entry level 42-46" plasmas?

Out of the box, the Sammy 43'' seems to have the best PQ, but I still believe when it comes to over all quality, Panasonic is still on top.

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P46x3 , Panasonic Viera 42 Inch Plasma Tv Tc P42x3 , Panasonic Viera Tc P50x3 50 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P42x3 42 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50x3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page