Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxX3 Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 176 Old 12-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great forum, everyone! Lots of good information and sharing going on here. I look forward to adding to the knowledge base, if I can.

Just bought the 42" x3 for the bedroom. This is my second Panasonic plasma, and I won't buy anything but plasma. We tried a 55" LCD and returned it the next day...it was the definition of annoying! Pixelation and slow response time made it unwatchable, IMO.

My question is about remotes. Both our Panasonics have the standard remote, our old one is model N2QAY000321, and the new one is N2QAY000570. Most of our viewing is done in dark rooms, so a backlit remote would be better, but only the S and G series plasmas get those, as far as I can tell. I can get them on eBay for $20, so I was just wondering, has anyone here tried a N2QAY000571 remote with a TC-PxxX3 tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 176 Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXe1s View Post

Great forum, everyone! Lots of good information and sharing going on here. I look forward to adding to the knowledge base, if I can.

Just bought the 42" x3 for the bedroom. This is my second Panasonic plasma, and I won't buy anything but plasma. We tried a 55" LCD and returned it the next day...it was the definition of annoying! Pixelation and slow response time made it unwatchable, IMO.

My question is about remotes. Both our Panasonics have the standard remote, our old one is model N2QAY000321, and the new one is N2QAY000570. Most of our viewing is done in dark rooms, so a backlit remote would be better, but only the S and G series plasmas get those, as far as I can tell. I can get them on eBay for $20, so I was just wondering, has anyone here tried a N2QAY000571 remote with a TC-PxxX3 tv?

They all use the same infrared frequency, so it should work just fine.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #123 of 176 Old 12-25-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXe1s View Post

Hi All!

I'm planning to buy panasonic 42inch plasma model TH-P42X30. It has got amazing picture quality as when I watched it in showroom(in user mode). Please provide your reviews on this. I'm planning to have this for next 6-10years min. I'm satisfied with the features and specs.

I need your advice on should I expect the TV to survive for long time? Also I would like toknow about the burn if this model suffers from burn in issues?
post #124 of 176 Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007india View Post

Hi All!

I'm planning to buy panasonic 42inch plasma model TH-P42X30. It has got amazing picture quality as when I watched it in showroom(in user mode). Please provide your reviews on this. I'm planning to have this for next 6-10years min. I'm satisfied with the features and specs.

I need your advice on should I expect the TV to survive for long time? Also I would like toknow about the burn if this model suffers from burn in issues?

I suggest you go to the beginning of this thread and read the posts along with some display pictures which look great on a members calibrated set. As far as IR is concerned, as long as your settings are at reasonable levels and you watch plenty of full screen content, you shouldn't have issues with this model or any other quality PDP. Panasonic claims a 100,000 hr half life on this TV, the same as all its other late model sets.

Ian

post #125 of 176 Old 12-25-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Hey, does anyone have their set wall mounted? I got everything I need except for a tv console...I'd be really interested in seeing what you have for the AV components.

I'm wondering if 20" would be too short (I'm planning on mounting the set approx 36-42" from the ground to the bottom of the set).
post #126 of 176 Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsantos View Post

Did anyone tried to plus in a External HDD on the USB port?

Does it support .MKV?

Thanks

Im planning on getting mine this weekend.

Yes (it works) and yes.
post #127 of 176 Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 PM

is there any 3D conversion kits that will convert Panasonic 46" Class 720p 600hz Plasma HDTV TC-P4632C to 3d?
post #128 of 176 Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 AM

Just set up a 42x3 in one of the kids rooms for entertainment. The wii looks good. A few things to note. The viera link works great with a dynex blu ray from bb. Complete control once both cec is set on in both devices..was hoping it would as the dynex have an amazing netflix gui....The netgear doggle 3100v2 plugs in usb port 1 and works (ebay it)..however the gui for netfix sucks period on vieracast But the dnla may come in handy one day. Will post some pictures as im off this week with too much rain.
post #129 of 176 Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM

has anyone else's netflix instant queue been "temporarily unavailable" for the past 5 days? spent an hour and a half on the phone with netflix and panasonic, and each points their finger at the other.
post #130 of 176 Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Does it support .MKV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post

Yes (it works) and yes.

And if you don't have MKV files, I found that the opensource freeware called HANDBRAKE does a pretty good job of converting other file formats over to MKV or MP4(M4V) formats. I went with the default settings and have only had a problem with one movie so far.
Just google "handbrake" for the link (even though the link ends in *.fr. don't worry - it's in English).
post #131 of 176 Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 PM

I just purchased a P42X3 from Best Buy this past weekend. It was on sale for $399 (a steal). I mainly use it for Xbox gaming and Netflix, typically in the evening in my office which has only one shaded window.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. I did not run a calibration disk, but I started with the settings recommended on the Televisioninfo website.

I ended up bumping the brightness up to 63 and color up to 53 from these settings; the color vibrancy/accuracy, as other reviewers have pointed out, is good but not excellent. I've had none of the buzzing some have reported. Skyrim looks phenomenal and I have no discernable input lag, which is the main reason I wanted a Panasonic plasma. I have not yet tried Rock Band but will report back again (or edit this post) when I have.

I'm quite pleased with it. It's leaps and bounds beyond the old CRT TV I replaced, though I can't say yet whether I like it better than my 47" Philips LCD downstairs.
post #132 of 176 Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced an issue that I'm having. I have the 50" X3 and purchased a Netgear Wireless USB adapter. It sets up and works fine but, if I turn the TV off and come back to use it later the TV doesn't recognize the USB adapter is plugged in. I can pull the adapter out and put it back in and it will recognize it immediately...but, I do have to reconnect to my router - not too big a deal since it has push and connect feature.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior...I'll try another adapter, hopefully that's the issue and not the TV

Thanks....
post #133 of 176 Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason6311 View Post

I just purchased a P42X3 from Best Buy this past weekend. It was on sale for $399 (a steal). I mainly use it for Xbox gaming and Netflix, typically in the evening in my office which has only one shaded window.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. I did not run a calibration disk, but I started with the settings recommended on the Televisioninfo website.

I ended up bumping the brightness up to 63 and color up to 53 from these settings; the color vibrancy/accuracy, as other reviewers have pointed out, is good but not excellent. I've had none of the buzzing some have reported. Skyrim looks phenomenal and I have no discernable input lag, which is the main reason I wanted a Panasonic plasma. I have not yet tried Rock Band but will report back again (or edit this post) when I have.

I'm quite pleased with it. It's leaps and bounds beyond the old CRT TV I replaced, though I can't say yet whether I like it better than my 47" Philips LCD downstairs.

If the color accuracy/vibrancy isn't excellent, then why not bump up the color or turn on Vivid color? Anyways, very interested in hearing about the X3's Input lag performance. You'd think it would be extremely low considering this is a bottom line 'panasonic' 720p model(Then again, LG's 2011 720p set had horrible input lag) The PAL X3 is listed at 16ms on HDTV test UK.com, but i can't get a number on the NTSC version...

Are the whites bright on this set as well? I hope so, when it comes to gaming. I'm getting tired of my current LCD's motion handeling, and desire better black levels. But I absolutely love it's bright picture and super vivid colors for gaming. Damn the pro's and con's. sigh* Also does this set suffer from any green trailing when gaming?

I've owned the Samsung D450 and that was a lowsy set to game on. The input lag didn't cut it for me, and it had this filtered fuzzy-like look going on in comparison to my current LG Plasma.
post #134 of 176 Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got a TC-P42X3 on clearance from Best Buy. This is my first plasma. I got everything set up but have a questions about Game Mode. I found Game under picture settings, but I have not seen a Game Mode selection. On page 20 of the manual it states you can select Game Mode using the Viera Tools. I do not have any selections under Viera Tools for Game mode, Eco mode, etc. Is this normal for the 42? You think the Game picture setting is the same as the Game modes setting?

So far I am happy with the set. The only issue so far is the yellow streaking in bright areas during fast movement in high fps games like Call of Duty on the Xbox. I assume it diminish once the tv breaks in. Anyone else notice this?

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #135 of 176 Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

So far I am happy with the set. The only issue so far is the yellow streaking in bright areas during fast movement in high fps games like Call of Duty on the Xbox. I assume it diminish once the tv breaks in. Anyone else notice this?

I did notice this on my X3 when I first got it, I don't notice it anymore.
post #136 of 176 Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response.

Now it seems I'm getting plasma paranoia. I have been tweeking color settings today spending a lot of time in the tv's menu. I set the contrast lower then the brightness like I read and tried some of the previous poster's calibrations. I then decided to switch to a hdmi input and play some xbox. I switched to the input before I turned on the xbox so a dark screen appeared first. That was then when I could see some image retention from the tv menus- specifically the round circle on the bottom left that shows the return button and round buttons like on your remote. I immediately ran the white swipe bar for a few minutes and it go rid of it. I also fired up the xbox and played literally 2 minutes of Call of Duty and then checked the screen and sure enough you could see some of the hud display. I assume this is what is called image retention vs burn in? Should I just give up playing games on it? If this is an issue- would it also happen with horizontal black bars like you see in some tv programming and bluray/dvd movies? I am about ready to take the TV back now and get a LCD- I had thought this was not as big an issue anymore. Am I just overreacting?

Thx

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #137 of 176 Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Thanks for the response.

Now it seems I'm getting plasma paranoia. I have been tweeking color settings today spending a lot of time in the tv's menu. I set the contrast lower then the brightness like I read and tried some of the previous poster's calibrations. I then decided to switch to a hdmi input and play some xbox. I switched to the input before I turned on the xbox so a dark screen appeared first. That was then when I could see some image retention from the tv menus- specifically the round circle on the bottom left that shows the return button and round buttons like on your remote. I immediately ran the white swipe bar for a few minutes and it go rid of it. I also fired up the xbox and played literally 2 minutes of Call of Duty and then checked the screen and sure enough you could see some of the hud display. I assume this is what is called image retention vs burn in? Should I just give up playing games on it? If this is an issue- would it also happen with horizontal black bars like you see in some tv programming and bluray/dvd movies? I am about ready to take the TV back now and get a LCD- I had thought this was not as big an issue anymore. Am I just overreacting?

Thx

Your contrast should not have to be lower then your brightness setting. After break in get a good calibration disk like the Disney Wow BD or Video essentials. They offer test patterns to help tweak all your settings. Every plasma has image retention, which is normal and caused by a residual charge in the pixels. It will go away when you watch regular full screen content, which you should do regularly, especially during the first 150 to 200 hours of use. Also, avoid displaying static images for long periods of time. Lowering the contrast in the gaming mode and during break in will help reduce IR, but you don't have to go crazy.

Ian

post #138 of 176 Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Just picked up two of these on clearance at BB. Great price. Cheaper in the store than online. If anyone is interested in getting a smoking deal, time to act.

I am running the break-in slides on both of them for the next 5-6 days straight through. I will then try some settings. One is for my bedroom and the other for the mother-in-law. I made her happy with the cost and quality.

I have a 65GT30 in my family room that D-Nice calibrated and it is beautiful. I wonder how the picture will look comparing the both.

I will get back with you in a week or so...
post #139 of 176 Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck View Post

Just picked up two of these on clearance at BB. Great price. Cheaper in the store than online. If anyone is interested in getting a smoking deal, time to act.

I am running the break-in slides on both of them for the next 5-6 days straight through. I will then try some settings. One is for my bedroom and the other for the mother-in-law. I made her happy with the cost and quality.

I have a 65GT30 in my family room that D-Nice calibrated and it is beautiful. I wonder how the picture will look comparing the both.

I will get back with you in a week or so...

If you can't get D-Nice, you can use those calibration discs I always recommend.

Ian

post #140 of 176 Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if it cost effective to calibrate a $400 tv? I am going to try it myself first like you suggest. I live in SoCal and he is out here pretty often if I strike out. We will see how it goes over the next few weeks. Thanks again...
post #141 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 03:37 PM

Just looked at the previous posts and jotted down some settings on my new 50x3.

Couldn't pass up the deal I got.

I hope this picture is as good as 42" 720P plasma..
post #142 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post

Just looked at the previous posts and jotted down some settings on my new 50x3.

Couldn't pass up the deal I got.

I hope this picture is as good as 42" 720P plasma..

Those settings are a good place to start, but I would also recommend a good calibration disc like the ones mentioned on this thread, to get the most out of your new TV. Good luck and enjoy!

Ian

post #143 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 AM

So I have my Plasma in the bedroom and it's too short.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap ready made platform or box that I could place under the center stand to increase the TV height?
post #144 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Those settings are a good place to start, but I would also recommend a good calibration disc like the ones mentioned on this thread, to get the most out of your new TV. Good luck and enjoy!

Ian

Is it safe to break in the TV off the get go with those settings or can someone share the suggested break-in settings as I don't have any calibration discs, software
post #145 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it safe to break in the TV off the get go with those settings or can someone share the suggested break-in settings as I don't have any calibration discs, software

As long as you keep the contrast and brightness settings a reasonable levels, you are good to go.
For best results tweak the adjustments,
after 150-200 hrs or so.

Ian

post #146 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

As long as you keep the contrast and brightness settings a reasonable levels, you are good to go.
For best results tweak the adjustments,
after 150-200 hrs or so.

Ian

I'm using the settings I saw posted on this thread:

Cinema
Contrast 60
Brightness 53
Color 39
Tint +3G
Sharpness 25
Color Temp Warm1
Color Mgmt OFF
CATSS OFF
VIDEO NR OFF

Are these OK for break in?
post #147 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using the settings I saw posted on this thread:

Cinema
Contrast 60
Brightness 53
Color 39
Tint +3G
Sharpness 25
Color Temp Warm1
Color Mgmt OFF
CATSS OFF
VIDEO NR OFF

Are these OK for break in?

Yep.

Ian

post #148 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM

does anyone know if my old Panny Plasma (TH-42PX60U) just might be a better quality set than this X3? The picture and colors just don't seem as sharp although I'm just going through break-in
post #149 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Ian

I downloaded the AVS HD 709 disc from this forum, and calibrated a LCD and a sammy plasma with no problems.. but for some reason on this tv, the brightness and contrast bars would not disappear -- must be something different about this panel. And at least for me, the brightness/contrast settings are impossible to set by eye.
However, I was able to do the color and tint without issue.
post #150 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

does anyone know if my old Panny Plasma (TH-42PX60U) just might be a better quality set than this X3? The picture and colors just don't seem as sharp although I'm just going through break-in

you should try these after you break it in --- after trying alot of different settings -- these are the best I have found: (form televisioninfo.com)

Calibration Settings in Picture Mode: Cinema
Setting
Contrast 100
Brightness 60
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 50
Color temp Warm2
Color Mgmt Off
CATS off
Video NR Off
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Black Level Light

The CATS option is a good idea in theory, but it completly washes out the picture.

And the sharpness is ok for me -- but Ian will tell you to turn it down
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P46x3 , Panasonic Viera 42 Inch Plasma Tv Tc P42x3 , Panasonic Viera Tc P50x3 50 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P42x3 42 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50x3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page