post #151 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnr6 View Post

you should try these after you break it in --- after trying alot of different settings -- these are the best I have found: (form televisioninfo.com)

Calibration Settings in Picture Mode: Cinema
Setting
Contrast 100
Brightness 60
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 50
Color temp Warm2
Color Mgmt Off
CATS off
Video NR Off
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Black Level Light

The CATS option is a good idea in theory, but it completly washes out the picture.

And the sharpness is ok for me -- but Ian will tell you to turn it down

When setting the sharpness, I recommend that you start at 0. If it's a bit soft, increase it gradually until it looks sharp again. You'll be right on the money.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been running the P42X3 for a few weeks now. Not sure how many hours exactly, but I fired up my Xbox on it for the first time in a few weeks. I am still bothered by the yellow streaking in light areas that happens when I play COD MW3. This seems to happen in very fast framerate games. Quite honestly it is distracting to me and I can't stand it. Will this change as the phosphurs age? or is this just the result of me buying an entry level plasma? The HDTV picture is great, but this may be the deal breaker for me.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #153 of 176 Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 AM

Liked: 10
If so, is there a document somewhere that can give me the commands list?
post #154 of 176 Old 04-07-2012, 02:26 PM

How does this tv fair after a year? There is an amazing deal for a 46inch that is tempting. Should I go for it? This will replace a sumsung 43inch pn43d450 thanks to lack of video playback from usb! Also after trying out a sharp 46inch set I think 46inches is the right size!!

Please list any known faults to this set, also how is the speakers on this one?
post #155 of 176 Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Well, I have not had mine for a year, only a few months. It is in the bedroom. I dialed it in with a S&M calibration disc and it looks good. I then did some fine tuning while watching content. It is a bedroom tv and is generally watched with minimal sunlight. It does not compete with my GT30, but the price was amazing. I watch it at about nine feet and it is good, even at 720P. The 600 speed is only in Cinema from what I have gathered. I have FiOS and an ATV2, the PQ is fine. Sure the blacks could be a bit better, but it did not cost 2K. I do not see any reason why it would have bad reliability. That is why I went with Panasonic. YMMV though depending on use. It is on about 15 hours a week and no gaming. It would be a good gaming tv for sure. I have not experienced any IR, let alone burn-in. I did prep the panel for about 130 hours non-stop with the slides. I think that helps to break it in. I can put up my settings if you like. Mind you though, I like plasma because of the blacks and motion, but I do not watch it with direct sunlight and glaring windows.
post #156 of 176 Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck View Post

Well, I have not had mine for a year, only a few months. It is in the bedroom. I dialed it in with a S&M calibration disc and it looks good. I then did some fine tuning while watching content. It is a bedroom tv and is generally watched with minimal sunlight. It does not compete with my GT30, but the price was amazing. I watch it at about nine feet and it is good, even at 720P. The 600 speed is only in Cinema from what I have gathered. I have FiOS and an ATV2, the PQ is fine. Sure the blacks could be a bit better, but it did not cost 2K. I do not see any reason why it would have bad reliability. That is why I went with Panasonic. YMMV though depending on use. It is on about 15 hours a week and no gaming. It would be a good gaming tv for sure. I have not experienced any IR, let alone burn-in. I did prep the panel for about 130 hours non-stop with the slides. I think that helps to break it in. I can put up my settings if you like. Mind you though, I like plasma because of the blacks and motion, but I do not watch it with direct sunlight and glaring windows.

Thank you for the swift reply! To be honest, I was offered this tv at a very decent price. Glaring seems to be an issue, and I will be using it in the living room with big windows.. maybe I could invest in better curtains

This will be used more than 15hours a week, most definitely! Also, it will be used for al srots of things, computer hooked to play movies, usb for movies/pics, HD tv, sports, all sorts of things. Not interested in gaming, just a decent set. I intend to break-in the tv, and use it normally from the get-go.

The thing that worried me is reliability, as I will not get an extra warranty, just the one year manufacturer one. Thanks though. You put me at ease.
post #157 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibanzai View Post

Thank you for the swift reply! To be honest, I was offered this tv at a very decent price. Glaring seems to be an issue, and I will be using it in the living room with big windows.. maybe I could invest in better curtains

I have a living room with big windows (About 75% of a two story high wall facing south/west is window) and could not use this TV with any sun shining outside... I have it in the bedroom for nighttime viewing and it's great for that - but for a bright environment I would invest in whatever it takes to get something that is more glare free - I can't see a picture at all with bright sun hitting the walls behind me (actually I can - I can see myself and the flowers, pictures etc... behind me in the TV - so it works well as a mirror in that case).... Don't get me wrong - I am very happy with my purchase for the specific bedroom case...
post #158 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 AM

I do agree about the windows and glare. I tried it yesterday with the blinds open. The windows face south and it is a bit tough to see. If you have a lot of direct sunlight and/or window glare, may not be the best fit. It would be fine without direct sun and/or glare. My family room tv (GT30) does not face any windows and it is perfect. During the day with normal daylight it is fine though. I hate to steer anyone away from plasma as I think it is awesome. I watched Avatar in 3D last night on the GT30 and it was stunning in a dark room. Sound like you might wind up with an LED/LCD. The problem may be finding a good one at a decent price. For fast moving content, at least a 240htz. If you do not look at the tv straight on, watch out for dimming of off-angle content. I hope you find a tv to fit your needs.
post #159 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Think I might still go for this set, and just buy proper light blocking blinds.

One more question, how is the sound on this set? Cheers for all the replies.
post #160 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 PM

The sound is not the best, but ok for a bedroom. If I had it in a living room, I would add a Soundbar. I have a Soundbar with my GT30 and it works much better than I had expected. It also has a nice size sub woofer. Good luck and hope you find something that works. I can post my settings after you get it.
post #161 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:

The sound is not the best, but ok for a bedroom. If I had it in a living room, I would add a Soundbar. I have a Soundbar with my GT30 and it works much better than I had expected. It also has a nice size sub woofer. Good luck and hope you find something that works. I can post my settings after you get it.

Thanks mate!

Settings would be cool too! Cheers for all the advice. Which soundbar do you use with your GT30?
post #162 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 03:22 PM

I use the Panny SC-HTB520 with sub woofer. I like it because it had an ARC hookup. Again, for a bedroom sound is good. For a larger room, you will need something better.

I do have a tendency to continue playing with the settings by a little bit to fine tune it. This is where everything is right now. If I decide to spend the $$ on professionally calibrating it, these numbers will change. I have been told by D-Nice that he can get the blacks better, as well as everything else. I have a feeling I am eventually just going to do it and have him work his magic. If you are looking for a calibrator, he did do a very good job, and did not stop until he extracted every last little bit out of the GT30.

Settings are...

Cinema
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 46
Color = 49
Tint = +2
Sharpness = 54
Warm 1
Color Mgmt = Off
Cats = Off
Video NR = Off
HDMI/DVI Range = Auto
Content Type = Auto
Advance...
Block NR = Off
Mosquito NR = Off
Black Level = Light.

Hope this helps...
post #163 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the settings! Am not hell bent on pursuing the perfect picture, so as soon as easter ends and I can pop into the shops to buy this set,I will put in your settings and go on from there. Pretty positive I will obtain an excellent picture.

Cheers for all the input again!
post #164 of 176 Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Remember to download the slides and run them. I did it for about 130 hours straight. No problems. I think it does help with the initial panel aging of the phosphors.
post #165 of 176 Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 AM

I bought this TV and will be bringing it up to the cabin. At the cabin we still have just an old cable tv service. (Must be analog because there is no set top boxes needed?) Currently the co-ax is going straight in to an old tube TV. I'm seeing that this new TV has an NTSC tuner built in so does that mean I should be ok? It has been awhile since I've had to worry about analog vs diigtal but this just hit me over the weekend that I might be in for a surprise when I get it up there. Otherwise I can call the cable company and see what I need.

I realize the picture won't be HD and will kinda suck but I at least want to play blu-rays and will upgrade the service to HD if it is agreed upon by everyone involved.

Thanks.
post #166 of 176 Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Can someone tell me what Panasonic model remote this tv uses? I just bought one used without the remote.

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #167 of 176 Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotc View Post

Can someone tell me what Panasonic model remote this tv uses? I just bought one used without the remote.

thanks

http://www.remotes.com/store/panasonic/tcp42x3.html

Ian

post #168 of 176 Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Nobody has been around this thread in a while. How are the X3's holding up? My 42 inch is working great. It is a much better performer in darker conditions. During the day it picks up reflections off the windows. I posted my settings a bit back in this thread. Does anyone else have some settings that work great in brighter conditions? I have it in Cinema right now. Has anyone got one of these calibrated? D-Nice says they have some hidden potential living in the service menu settings. I know this will never perform like my 65GT30 does, but it only cost $420 out the door. So, if anyone has some feedback, let's chat it out a bit. Thanks.
post #169 of 176 Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nobody has been around this thread in a while. How are the X3's holding up? My 42 inch is working great. It is a much better performer in darker conditions. During the day it picks up reflections off the windows. I posted my settings a bit back in this thread. Does anyone else have some settings that work great in brighter conditions? I have it in Cinema right now. Has anyone got one of these calibrated? D-Nice says they have some hidden potential living in the service menu settings. I know this will never perform like my 65GT30 does, but it only cost $420 out the door. So, if anyone has some feedback, let's chat it out a bit. Thanks.

I think you may have better results using the custom mode when watching during the day.

Ian

post #170 of 176 Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM

I recently picked up a TC-P5032C display unit from Target for just under $200 that went in my bedroom. So far, I haven't been impressed with it. The picture just isn't very sharp and is dull. I have tried the various settings in this thread but haven't found anything that wows me yet.

As soon as I got it home, I reset it to the default settings and returned it to home mode. The vivid setting probably gave the best results, but the whites and skin tones were just too bright. I know I really need to calibrate it, but I guess I was expecting more.

I have a three-year old entry-level LG plasma that surprisingly blows the Panasonic away. I know I took a risk by purchasing a display unit, but I don't think the set being on continuously for year would degrade the picture quality.

Any ideas or suggestions?
post #171 of 176 Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC99 View Post

I recently picked up a TC-P5032C display unit from Target for just under $200 that went in my bedroom. So far, I haven't been impressed with it. The picture just isn't very sharp and is dull. I have tried the various settings in this thread but haven't found anything that wows me yet.

As soon as I got it home, I reset it to the default settings and returned it to home mode. The vivid setting probably gave the best results, but the whites and skin tones were just too bright. I know I really need to calibrate it, but I guess I was expecting more.

I have a three-year old entry-level LG plasma that surprisingly blows the Panasonic away. I know I took a risk by purchasing a display unit, but I don't think the set being on continuously for year would degrade the picture quality.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I suggest you get a calibration disc like Video Essentials or the Disney WOW and set it up in the custom mode. Never use vivid which is a display mode. If it still looks dull or soft, keep in mind that it is a 2 year old model, and it could have a lot of hours on it, or seen some abuse. It may need corrective adjustments by a certified tech in the service menu.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/d...-setup-newbies

Ian

post #172 of 176 Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Getting a calibration disc was going to be my next step. If that doesn't solve the problem, would getting it checked out be covered under warranty?
post #173 of 176 Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC99 View Post

Getting a calibration disc was going to be my next step. If that doesn't solve the problem, would getting it checked out be covered under warranty?

You need to call Target and ask them since it was an older display unit.

Ian

post #174 of 176 Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

You need to call Target and ask them since it was an older display unit.

Ian

Thanks for the help!
post #175 of 176 Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Can anyone tell me how I can get the youtube app on this TV (Panasonic 2011 TC-P46X3)?
Tried all menus but could not find it. Many websites claim that this TV has a youtube app on it.
Appreciate your help.
post #176 of 176 Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sorry to bring up a possibly dead thread, but what color depth of this display is? Looking at the options on Xbox One, 24, 30, or 36 bits per pixel are my options.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P46x3 , Panasonic Viera 42 Inch Plasma Tv Tc P42x3 , Panasonic Viera Tc P50x3 50 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P42x3 42 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50x3 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page