AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

Done.

Thanks Alex! I've updated the first post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

If your source supports it, make sure HDMI Black Level is set to Low.

I made sure that was the case last night, as I performed a factory reset and noticed my black levels were WAY off. Once I set HDMI Black Level back to low they looked much better, but they were still brighter than I was expecting. Maybe I just need to start watching TV with a little bit of ambient light in the room.
post #273 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post

I made sure that was the case last night, as I performed a factory reset and noticed my black levels were WAY off. Once I set HDMI Black Level back to low they looked much better, but they were still brighter than I was expecting. Maybe I just need to start watching TV with a little bit of ambient light in the room.

Are you using one of the settings from this thread or are you still using the TV defaults? My black levels were much improved after calibration.
post #274 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 PM

Can these be used on D6500?
post #275 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Are you using one of the settings from this thread or are you still using the TV defaults? My black levels were much improved after calibration.

I've tried both, although there is a really slim chance that I had HDMI Black Level set to Normal when I was using calibrated settings. I'll try LarryInRI's settings again tonight and see if there is a difference.
post #276 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonfan2 View Post

I noticed the brightness fluctuations alot in wide mode, using screen fit, which of course
after break in is all I will use, i dont see it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackawookie View Post

Make sure motion lighting is also set to off

I have motion lighting set to off and it set to screen fit, it is still doing it. I was watching the green hornet on blu ray last night and the brightness changed for a split second. It did that about six times. I don't have 100 hours yet so I'm thinking maybe that will stop only happens with movies on netflix or bluray, not cable watching. Do I replace the Tv, I only have a week left to take it back to best buy. By the way I have it on Larry's settings.
post #277 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Got my TV in...no buzzing...no bad pixels thus far.

I am doing some calibrating and trying to figure out where the "10 point" values are. I can set it to 10 but then there aren't 10 values of each to change.

Secondly, I am having a hard time streaming any type of media file. .MKV failed as well as .avi.

Lastly, I accesed the Cal day and Cal night modes (although im not really sure why). What is the point of having these two? Also after editing movie mode and turning the TV off and on again, I lost all my settings.
post #278 of 3305 Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Can someone explain to me how the 10 point works? When I have a 100% ire window up, interval 10 does not do anything, but interval 9 does.

Also, when setting the HDMI black level to low, there is no way to get the brightness up high enough, so it stays at normal.
post #279 of 3305 Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone View Post

Can someone explain to me how the 10 point works? When I have a 100% ire window up, interval 10 does not do anything, but interval 9 does.

Also, when setting the HDMI black level to low, there is no way to get the brightness up high enough, so it stays at normal.

10pt alignment is affected by what you have your contrast set at, typically if it is below max you see what you are seeing. Trial and error.

-----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #280 of 3305 Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post

Got my TV in...no buzzing...no bad pixels thus far.

I am doing some calibrating and trying to figure out where the "10 point" values are. I can set it to 10 but then there aren't 10 values of each to change.

Secondly, I am having a hard time streaming any type of media file. .MKV failed as well as .avi.

Lastly, I accesed the Cal day and Cal night modes (although im not really sure why). What is the point of having these two? Also after editing movie mode and turning the TV off and on again, I lost all my settings.

Convert it into MP4. Works fine for me using Windows Media Player.
post #281 of 3305 Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Have a 51D7000 arriving tomorrow. I didn't see anyone mention any suggested settings for this specific TV on this forum. Would I be better off calibrating to 64d7000 settings, since it's a 7000, or the 51D8000 since the 51" panels are not the same as the larger models?
post #282 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr369 View Post

I have motion lighting set to off and it set to screen fit, it is still doing it. I was watching the green hornet on blu ray last night and the brightness changed for a split second. It did that about six times. I don't have 100 hours yet so I'm thinking maybe that will stop only happens with movies on netflix or bluray, not cable watching. Do I replace the Tv, I only have a week left to take it back to best buy. By the way I have it on Larry's settings.

It depends on the source... I see it viewing my "cable" (uverse). It's not going to stop at 100 hours.

If it's driving you crazy return it, it's the way the TV is designed. It's possible they could fix it with firmware but I wouldn't count on it.

Anyone who doesn't see it either found some magical calibration number that is slightly outside of the thresholds where this happens. Or they just don't have good attention to detail.

-SiGGy
post #283 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
The CAL-DAY/NIGHT modes need to be enabled via the SM which became available on my display with FW ver. 1013. The settings for movie and CAL modes are not interchangeable.
Hi,

I just bought the Samsung PN64D8000. How do I determine which FW version is ship with the TV? Also, how does one go about updating? I tried to do the update software through the internet option and it gives me a "no upgrade available".

Thanks.
post #284 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
It depends on the source... I see it viewing my "cable" (uverse). It's not going to stop at 100 hours.

If it's driving you crazy return it, it's the way the TV is designed. It's possible they could fix it with firmware but I wouldn't count on it.

Anyone who doesn't see it either found some magical calibration number that is slightly outside of the thresholds where this happens. Or they just don't have good attention to detail.

That is one huge global generalized statement. You can back it up with scientific proof, of course. Right?

Larry
post #285 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Liked: 14
Thanks to ElwayLite for his initial work !!

Samsung PN64D7000 Calibration.pdf 341.2939453125k . file
post #286 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveone2

Hi,

I just bought the Samsung PN64D8000. How do I determine which FW version is ship with the TV? Also, how does one go about updating? I tried to do the update software through the internet option and it gives me a "no upgrade available".

Thanks.
My tv just asked me, "wanna upgrade?" and I said "sure". USB download is not yet available from US website. You can check FW version in support->software upgrade

-----

post #287 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
That is one huge global generalized statement. You can back it up with scientific proof, of course. Right?

Larry
I was thinking the same thing Larry....
post #288 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
My tv just asked me, "wanna upgrade?" and I said "sure". USB download is not yet available from US website. You can check FW version in support->software upgrade
Thanks. My didn't ask.
post #289 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Larry
Larry, have you noticed this on your set?
post #290 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:

If your source supports it, make sure HDMI Black Level is set to Low.

Why? Not disagreeing with you but I'd like to know what it does. I read somewhere that it should always be 'Normal' unless you're connected to an Apple computer in which case it should be 'Low'. I've been wondering if the reason that HTTYD seemed darker to me could have been because it was played through my Mac Mini (set to Normal) rather than straight from a Blu-ray.
post #291 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr369 View Post

Larry, have you noticed this on your set?

No. What I see is the action of normal ABL which is designed into all plasmas. Of course, it could be that any brightness changes are mimimzed because I watch a relatively "dim" picture with a peak luminance of under 30 ftL. I use the Movie mode.

During the past ten days, I've watched a number of movies that I am very familiar with: The Fifth Element (the remastered BD version), To Kill a Mockingbird (DVD), Cinderella Man (BD), Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (BD), and The Painted Veil (BD). Once, I thought that I saw something flash in Midnight but I was not able to reproduce it.

Since getting my 64D7000 on 11 May, I've watched every Red Sox game broadcast on NESN via Directv. I have seen nothing unusual.

I did switch over to Standard Mode for a short while to see if that might be the cause of the problems that some are describing. In addition to a terrible picture -- no matter how I adjusted the controls -- I did notice some unusual hard-to-describe behavior. I do not at all recommend viewing in the Standard mode.

Larry
post #292 of 3305 Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky Deluxe View Post

Why? Not disagreeing with you but I'd like to know what it does. I read somewhere that it should always be 'Normal' unless you're connected to an Apple computer in which case it should be 'Low'. I've been wondering if the reason that HTTYD seemed darker to me could have been because it was played through my Mac Mini (set to Normal) rather than straight from a Blu-ray.

Because he was saying that his black level seemed too light.

My understanding is that an HDMI source will negotiate this setting with the TV if it supports it. Some sources may look better set to Normal while others look better on Low. My Oppo BD player has obviously light blacks when it's set to Normal, so have it set to Low.
post #293 of 3305 Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 AM

I made sure the black level was set to low and tried Larry's settings again. My black levels still seem a bit too light, but I have a feeling I may be expecting too much out of the set. I'm going to have my wife help me carry my Pio 5080 back downstairs so I can do a direct comparison.
post #294 of 3305 Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post

I made sure the black level was set to low and tried Larry's settings again. My black levels still seem a bit too light, but I have a feeling I may be expecting too much out of the set. I'm going to have my wife help me carry my Pio 5080 back downstairs so I can do a direct comparison.

I have a Pioneer 5010 and don't notice a drastic difference in black levels with the 64D8000.

Which model is your Sammy?
post #295 of 3305 Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I have a Pioneer 5010 and don't notice a drastic difference in black levels with the 64D8000.

Which model is your Sammy?

64d7000. I'll move the pio back downstairs this weekend to do a side by side comparison.
post #296 of 3305 Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM

I've had my 64d8000 for about a month now and love it so far. But, finally last night I watched my first 3d movie (tangled) and the blacks seemed gray, really gray. I know it needs to accommodate the glasses but still. Is this normal? After noticing that I'm now really paying attention to the blacks on the 2d movies and now questioning even those.

I'm not really good with the terms and hopefully my descriptions make sense. What do you guys think? I'm using Tivohd's settings for both 2d and what I could with 3d. I'm using a ps3 with hdmi straight to tv.
post #297 of 3305 Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 PM

Still getting black level problems. I've looked at the settings and I noticed that while playing a Bd the "hdmi black level" is set to normal and greyed out. On the xmb, I can change it to low but defaults to normal and greyed out again once the Bd plays.
post #298 of 3305 Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe98 View Post

But, finally last night I watched my first 3d movie (tangled) and the blacks seemed gray, really gray.

The blacks look gray even with the glasses on? Or are you looking at it without the glasses on?
post #299 of 3305 Old 05-28-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:

I've had my 64d8000 for about a month now and love it so far. But, finally last night I watched my first 3d movie (tangled) and the blacks seemed gray, really gray. I know it needs to accommodate the glasses but still. Is this normal? After noticing that I'm now really paying attention to the blacks on the 2d movies and now questioning even those.

I'm not really good with the terms and hopefully my descriptions make sense. What do you guys think? I'm using Tivohd's settings for both 2d and what I could with 3d. I'm using a ps3 with hdmi straight to tv.

When you switch to 3d your mode switches to standard and all of the settings that go with it. On page 3 or 4 in this thread there is a post with 3d settings, might wanna plug those in and try again
post #300 of 3305 Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:

Still getting black level problems. I've looked at the settings and I noticed that while playing a Bd the "hdmi black level" is set to normal and greyed out. On the xmb, I can change it to low but defaults to normal and greyed out again once the Bd plays.

Pretty sure the hdmi black levels are activated by color space. Full rgb enables hdmi black levels and ycbr disables it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page