post #451 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Check the settings on the PS3. They should be RGB Limited and Super White On. These are not the the way the PS3 comes from the factory so that my be the cause of the difference.

A calibrator will most probably will use the full signal path including the Denon and PS3.

Larry

Why rgb and not YCrCb ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Odd on the Denon. I've never found mine to clip blacks or whites.
post #453 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach
Odd on the Denon. I've never found mine to clip blacks or whites.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The new 2112ci are the ones with the issue. They have no video processing. Another member posted no problems with the 3312ci.
post #454 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Gotcha. Had a previous model, now have a 1911.
post #455 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Why rgb and not YCrCb ?

I don't have an answer since I don't have a PS3. I'm only going by what worked with the systems with a PS3 that I have calibrated, zoyd.

I believe that you have one so I will yield to your superior knowledge on the subject.

Larry
post #456 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have an answer since I don't have a PS3. I'm only going by what worked with the systems with a PS3 that I have calibrated, zoyd.

I believe that you have one so I will yield to your superior knowledge on the subject.

Larry

I stick with YCbCr so that the TV does the video decoding for my 3 devices. Otherwise if I calibrate RGB on the PS3 there is no guarantee that the cable box or AppleTV will do the same decoding.
post #457 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Larry, do all the basic menu settings like contrast, brightness, cell light changes impact color accuracy? For example if I used one calibration setting and was getting crushed blacks would increasing brightness impact color accuracy for those specific calibration values?
post #458 of 3305 Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
TheBrandon,

Yes. Everything interacts with everything. Changing Contrast, for example, can change the color saturation and even hue. However, since you are copying settings from another TV, you will not know in which direction the changes may occur. The changes may actually make for more accurate colors. Because of this, I would not be concerned.

WRT the 'crushed blacks': What method are you using to determine black level? If you are using a calibration disk, set the brightness that is correct for your set-up using that disk. Increasing the Brightness level a bit should not have any affect on color accuracy although it may make an improper grayscale at the near black region more obvious. This can be corrected by reducing the visually prominent color using the 10 point white balance menu. Display a grayscale step pattern or a black and white movie with the Color set to zero and reduce the prominent color in the #1 and/or #2 interval(s). Normally, it only takes a one tick down to get rid of the offending tint in the very dark gray areas.

Larry
post #459 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TheBrandon,

Yes. Everything interacts with everything. Changing Contrast, for example, can change the color saturation and even hue. However, since you are copying settings from another TV, you will not know in which direction the changes may occur. The changes may actually make for more accurate colors. Because of this, I would not be concerned.

WRT the 'crushed blacks': What method are you using to determine black level? If you are using a calibration disk, set the brightness that is correct for your set-up using that disk. Increasing the Brightness level a bit should not have any affect on color accuracy although it may make an improper grayscale at the near black region more obvious. This can be corrected by reducing the visually prominent color using the 10 point white balance menu. Display a grayscale step pattern or a black and white movie with the Color set to zero and reduce the prominent color in the #1 and/or #2 interval(s). Normally, it only takes a one tick down to get rid of the offending tint in the very dark gray areas.

Larry

Here is what sparked that question. I have Ycbcr settings on PS3 on with Super White. There is an option to set RGB to Limited or Full. Also, of course there is the TV HDMI level set to low or normal. Absolutely positively with RGB Set to Full and HDMI set to low the picture looks incredible. Much closer to a picture I am used too on my Kuro. I am using a 1080p Grayscale image I saved on the PS3. I played with all the combination, leaving normal\\limited, full\\low, normal\\low and checked the grayscale. The final bar you can barely see in every instance both directions closer to 16 and 235. However the darks are VERY dark and it would seem the mll is a lot darker and essentially the blacks appear to be a shade or two darker. I noticed watching the opening scene of the first episode of Game of Thrones a few things. For starters, this is the perfect reference item to check blacks because it starts with a tunnel scene where they light a torch and come out of the tunnel in a excellent panned out beautifully white snowing scene.

With my preferred low and full settings the clothes look very dark you can not see as far in the tunnel when they light the torch

With the other extreme, limited and normal, clothes look more brown matching the horses, trees looked more brown clearly lighter.

So I notice both in color and picture that the HDMI settings as well as RGB settings have a direct impact and it is VERY visible. I am trying to get a better understanding of the blacks to know if I am crushing my blacks but bring the other colors out. I think for those using these settings need to understand the relationship between what the HDMI settings are doing.

Sorry so long winded.
post #460 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 06:44 AM

I was trying out Vudu with my PN64D800 last night and found that the picture had noticably dimmed when I started watching Vudu. Then I discovered that the option to adjust picture settings was greyed out when I pushed the menu button. The tools button didn't bring up the usual tools menu either.

Am I missing something? The CNET review indicates that you should be able to adjust the picture settings in Netflix & Vudu by bringing up the tools menu then pushing menu - but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I expect the same behavior for Netflix...

Has anyone been able to adjust their picture settings when using the set's Vudu app? If so, please share how you did it.

Thanks, Bob
post #461 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Re: Can't Access Picture Settings When Watching Vudu

Doh! Never mind - user error. I didn't try adjusting it while the movie was on (drives my wife crazy) so I had tried it when in the Vudu menu... It turns out that you have full access to picture settings while the movie is playing.
post #462 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 07:09 AM

Hey Brandon my understanding of the way the PS3 works is that RGB limited setting is the equivalent of the LOW setting on the TV and FULL is the equivalent of normal. So you should be using Low/Limited or Full/Normal, either should be ok as then both devices are talking in the same range. I use Low and Limited and things look as they should to me.
post #463 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Has anyone used the Spears and Munsil disc to do any testing of whether these displays prefer Source Direct/4:2:2/4:4:4 from say a BR player?

Edit: One more. If you calibrate a mode on say HDMI2, then plug a new device into HDMI3, do you just select that mode, or do you need to reenter ALL settings from HDMI2?

Thanks.
post #464 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM

Any calibration setting reccomendations for standard mode?
post #465 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville_preds View Post

Any calibration setting reccomendations for standard mode?

Yes, the recommendation is that if you want to calibrate the settings, you should use Movie mode. Standard mode is the same thing except that it has a lot of the calibration options disabled. You can make Movie mode look exactly like Standard mode if you want, but not necessarily vice versa.
post #466 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
hi guys, i just received my first plasma(59D6500) and i'm using Larry's settings. I'm new to plasma (and terminology) but I am noticing some slight line bleed and glow on pure white backgrounds and pure black backgrounds. for example: on a kia commercial at the end there was a black logo on an all white background and black text at the bottom. the black text "bleeds" to the sides and looks like faint grey lines that extend to the side of the text across the screen. next, while waiting at the loading screen for portal 2, the screen is black with a greenish blue logo, and the logo "glows". any suggestions on where to start to see if i can reduce or eliminate these issues or is it just inherent to the tv? i will try to post some pictures later today. thanks in advance.
post #467 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Ive found my 7000 to be a little worse than previous sets from another brand. Im not sure there is much you can do, but overall I dont find it a big issue.
post #468 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Hello All,

I am awaiting my 59d6500 to arrive this week. I plan to run slides for 4 to 5 days first but need help on some settings to start off with. Could anyone tell me will the settings I have come across here be ok to use on it even though they are all d7000/d8000? I believe they are all same panel except the d6500 is minus the real black filter..
post #469 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

Yes, the recommendation is that if you want to calibrate the settings, you should use Movie mode. Standard mode is the same thing except that it has a lot of the calibration options disabled. You can make Movie mode look exactly like Standard mode if you want, but not necessarily vice versa.

So the answer in no?
post #470 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the answer in no?

The answer is that you'll need to use Movie mode to do a real calibration. There's no reason to try to calibrate Standard mode.
post #471 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfan1969 View Post

Could anyone tell me will the settings I have come across here be ok to use on it even though they are all d7000/d8000?

You can try them, but I wouldn't expect great results. It's looking like even the D7000 and D8000 don't have interchangeable settings.
post #472 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:

The answer is that you'll need to use Movie mode to do a real calibration. There's no reason to try to calibrate Standard mode.

I understand that, but I do not like movie mode. I was just curious if anyone had color settings, etc that they have used on their 8000 that they would share. Maybe "calibration" in the wrong word to use.
post #473 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can try them, but I wouldn't expect great results. It's looking like even the D7000 and D8000 don't have interchangeable settings.

I have a calibrated 9G Kuro and can say on my 59D6500 Cues settings look outstanding as well as CNETs settings. For sure YMMV.
post #474 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Anybody has some video game calibration. I love that I do not need to use game mode since lag is not a big issue to me with this years set.
post #475 of 3305 Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand that, but I do not like movie mode. I was just curious if anyone had color settings, etc that they have used on their 8000 that they would share. Maybe "calibration" in the wrong word to use.

You could always copy the settings from Standard mode to Movie mode. That would give you the look you like without disabling further calibration.
post #476 of 3305 Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 AM

I've been messing around with settings for a while now. I've tried All the posted setups. And just have not been satisfied. So I got a Spyder 2 and hcfr And tried taking a stab and calibrating myself. The results I got, I'm very happy with. I mainly watch Cable TV and occasional movies VIA Ps3 The settings seem nice with both inputs. I really wanted something to work with the Standard color tone. The warm ones were just to yellow for me. My TV is a PN64D8000

I'd Like to get some feedback so try them out and tell me what you guys think

Picture Mode = Movie
Cell Light = 20
Contrast = 85
Brightness = 57
Sharpness = 33
Color = 55
Tint G45/R55

Picture Options ____________

ColorTone = Standard
Digital Noise filter = off
MPEG Noise filter = off
HDMI Black Level = Low
Filim Mode = off

Advanced Settings ____________

Black Tone = off
Dynamic Contrast = off
Gamma = 0
Color Space = Custom

Red = R 52 G 7 B 0

Green = R 30 G 84 B 0

Blue = R 0 G 2 B 23

Yellow = R 77 G 58 B 0

Cyan = R 30 G 39 B46

Magenta = R 37 G 12 B 64

White Balance

R-Offset =29
G-Offset =25
B-Offset =20
R-Gain =28
G-Gain =38
B-Gain =1

10Pt White Balance
1) R-1 G+1 B+2
2) R 0 G+1 B+1
3) R 0 G 0 B 0
4) R 0 G 0 B+1
5) R+1 G 0 B+1
6) R+1 G 0 B+1
7) R+1 G+2 B-2
8) R 0 G 0 B 0
9) R+4 G+2 B-4
10) R-2 G+1 B+1

Flesh Tone = 0
Edge enhancement = off
Motion Lighting = off

Thanks for any input,
Don
post #477 of 3305 Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 AM

Looks pretty good, couple of notes:

*) There is technically no need to adjust color/tint if making color space adjustments with a meter.

*) As far as color temp, you just pick one thats close to where you need to be (6504k) and then calibrate grayscale. As you reign in grayscale, color temp will reign itself in. IMO, Warm2 is too red outta the box, at least it was on my display.
post #478 of 3305 Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 AM

Hi I'd just like to thank all the guys for posting their setting, I've enjoyed playing around with all the settings and I've found tivohd's settings to suit my ps64d8000 best ,
Thanks.
post #479 of 3305 Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddesignz View Post

I've been messing around with settings for a while now. I've tried All the posted setups. And just have not been satisfied. So I got a Spyder 2 and hcfr And tried taking a stab and calibrating myself. The results I got, I'm very happy with. I mainly watch Cable TV and occasional movies VIA Ps3 The settings seem nice with both inputs. I really wanted something to work with the Standard color tone. The warm ones were just to yellow for me. My TV is a PN64D8000

Congrats on taking the dive into calibration. What do the measurements look like for those settings, color temp, gamma, and gamut?
post #480 of 3305 Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Last night I had a little time to re-do the calibration on my 64D7000. The initial run was conducted with only 50 hours on the set and this new run is with about 200 hours.

I have had a PN59D7000 running for two weeks using LarryInRI's redone settings from 5-30 and have loved it, but last night I noticed something strange

When looking at black bars around a 2.4:1 blu-ray or a full black image upclose, i noticed a lot of noise (dithering) flickering around in the black. I thought it might be my source, but after playing with the picture settings I found that reducing the gamma from 1 to 0 mostly removed this, and -1 made the blacks perfect. For now i will go with dave-o's settings for the d7000 since it is using a gamma of 0.

I'm going to give my set another week or so before I borrow my friends eye-1 probe and do a full calibration, after which i will post my settings as well
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page