1Likes

post #31 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

For a movie like that you'll lose black detail if there is any ambient light, it really was designed for a pitch black theatre.

Fair enough. I'll try to wade through it.

Thanks for the information once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
For viewing in a bright room, a lower gamma can be helpful -- even one that is below 2.0. For a very dark viewing environment, usually a higher gamma is desirable.

Larry
post #33 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 303
yes, what Larry said. If it's uncomfortable to watch set gamma to 0 or even +1, viewing environment is just as important as target calibration numbers.
post #34 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 07:45 PM

Do I make my eyes bleed, or do I try to abide by accurate calibration numbers? That is the question, my friends.
post #35 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Haynes View Post

Great post TivoHD, just plugged in all your numbers.

Although I see two options missing. What do you show under Picture Options for HDMI Black level and Film Mode? Should Cinema Motion be turned on?

HDMI Black Level and Film Mode are only available for certain sources. Both are grayed out when using the TiVo. When using my BD player, HDMI Black Level is set to Low and Film Mode is set to off. Whether or not you use Cinema Smooth is up for debate (better black levels vs. judder), but the calibrator recommended leaving it off.
post #36 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

Do I make my eyes bleed, or do I try to abide by accurate calibration numbers? That is the question, my friends.

There is no specification for peak luminance. I find anything over 30 ftL unbearable. As I've said before to a respected calibrator: If you want to set my TV to 35 ftL, I'll politely show you the door.

Larry
post #37 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a case where what the film maker intended may not be what looks best to you. In the end, you're the one watching the TV so you should go with what looks best. It may not be 100% faithful to what the film maker intended, but he's not the one in your living room.
post #38 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

There is no specification for peak luminance. I find anything over 30 ftL unbearable. As I've said before to a respected calibrator: If you want to set my TV to 35 ftL, I'll politely show you the door.

Depends on the viewing environment. It should be pretty easy to dial it up or down by adjusting the cell light setting.
post #39 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

Depends on the viewing environment. It should be pretty easy to dial it up or down by adjusting the cell light setting.

Thanks, TiVoHD. I've been calibrating TVs since 2007. When I decide between the D7000 and the D8000, I'll add my calibration report in this thread. (Like zoyd and I think you, I use an i1 Pro.)

EDIT: Since 2006 actually. My, how quickly time passes.

Larry
post #40 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Like the settings TivoHD & Zoyd.....but does the sharpness have to be set at 0..I adjusted mine to 5....does this deteriate the picture settings?

I haved the 7000 with 8000 firmware..if that helps

I's also like to add that when inputting these settings for my samsung BD-3D player the 10point White Balance is greyed out..should I still use these settings regardless?
post #41 of 3305 Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried Tivo's settings and they certainly look good on my pn64d7000. Good enough for my eyes, anyway, which probably aren't sophisticated enough to discern the "perfect" settings for my TV.

The Avatar night scene really looks gorgeous.
post #42 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 AM

Great idea have a centralized location for the settings.

I was wandering if you guys could help a newbie out here. I'm working on the primary colors, or at least trying to I've been using the color space settings but I can't seem to get the colors to move on the chart. First question, should I be using 75% or 100% windows(I've been using 75%)? And how to do I know which 3 colors I need to increase(or decrease) for each primary? Here's where my points lay right now:

post #43 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

Like the settings TivoHD & Zoyd.....but does the sharpness have to be set at 0..I adjusted mine to 5....does this deteriate the picture settings?

I think it's mostly personal preference. Setting it at 0 for BluRay looks good to me, but with DirecTV it makes the picture much too soft and I end up setting it at 20 to give it some pop. Having it set too high can add extra noise to the picture that shouldn't be there, so in that way it can deteriorate the PQ.
post #44 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

it could, but if it looks better to you, I would just go with it. On my set, when looking at a sharpness calibration slide anything above 0 produces a halo effect. But it would probably be negligible at a setting of 5.
post #45 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychamp View Post

Great idea have a centralized location for the settings.

I was wandering if you guys could help a newbie out here. I'm working on the primary colors, or at least trying to I've been using the color space settings but I can't seem to get the colors to move on the chart. First question, should I be using 75% or 100% windows(I've been using 75%)? And how to do I know which 3 colors I need to increase(or decrease) for each primary? Here's where my points lay right now:

Use 75% and do a primaries/secondaries series measurement before you start. After that it's pretty straight forward, for green use red and blue to move toward or away from green on the line between the colors. Watch deltaxy for green in the measures window and get it close to 0. Then adjust green up or down to get deltaL close to zero.
post #46 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It looks like TiVoHD's was calibrated for a room with lot's of ambient light. I plugged those number's into my set and got 50 ftL peak white output. The settings I use are for a mid-dark room (dark walls and small windows) with peak white at 30 ftL.

Hello,
I hope everyone is enjoying there weekend. Zoyd I was wondering what settings alter peek ftl, is it contrast and cell light. ie: If that is right and I use your settings, just changing the cell light and contrast a-bit to fit my rooms ambient light will it screw up the other settings or not.

Thanks in advance
Joe
post #47 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post

Hello,
I hope everyone is enjoying there weekend. Zoyd I was wondering what settings alter peek ftl, is it contrast and cell light. ie: If that is right and I use your settings, just changing the cell light and contrast a-bit to fit my rooms ambient light will it screw up the other settings or not.

Thanks in advance
Joe

You can change either (or both) a few clicks to suit your needs, it doesn't interfere with the other settings.
post #48 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:

You can change either (or both) a few clicks to suit your needs, it doesn't interfere with the other settings.

Thanks you
post #49 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Darnit, can someone please tell me how to save picture settings? I did all the calibration last night, turned off the TV, and all my changes were gone in the morning. I was back to "Standard" mode with cell balance at 10. When I swiched back to movie mode (which is where I made all the calibration changes), but none of the changes were there, either.
post #50 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 AM

There isn't anything special you should have to do to remember the settings. Are you sure your TV isn't in store mode rather than home?
post #51 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

Darnit, can someone please tell me how to save picture settings? I did all the calibration last night, turned off the TV, and all my changes were gone in the morning. I was back to "Standard" mode with cell balance at 10. When I swiched back to movie mode (which is where I made all the calibration changes), but none of the changes were there, either.

If you were in Movie Mode when you made your changes, they should still be in Movie Mode now. Before going through all of the settings again, try to just change one thing (like cell light) and make sure that the TV is saving it. Are you sure the TV wasn't in 3D mode when you made the changes?
post #52 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckMercury View Post

There isn't anything special you should have to do to remember the settings. Are you sure your TV isn't in store mode rather than home?

Yeah, the only way to lose settings is by going into service mode and even then the CMS and WB don't reset.
post #53 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:

If you were in Movie Mode when you made your changes, they should still be in Movie Mode now. Before going through all of the settings again, try to just change one thing (like cell light) and make sure that the TV is saving it. Are you sure the TV wasn't in 3D mode when you made the changes?

I've had this same problem, and yes, I was in movie mode when I changed the settings. One of the other users mentioned it, but basically if you go into a certain menu and then turn off the TV, it resets the picture settings for the mode that's currently selected. I've had it happen to me several times but cannot retrace what I did.
Quote:

Yeah, the only way to lose settings is by going into service mode and even then the CMS and WB don't reset.

Service mode?
post #54 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had this same problem, and yes, I was in movie mode when I changed the settings. One of the other users mentioned it, but basically if you go into a certain menu and then turn off the TV, it resets the picture settings for the mode that's currently selected. I've had it happen to me several times but cannot retrace what I did.

Service mode?

Let us know if you figure out what is causing it. It would definitely be good to know so that we can avoid losing settings. I've heard that activating the Day/Night option on the D7000 can cause some volatility, but that's not even an option on the D8000.

Don't worry about the Service Menu. You really don't need to go in there for anything (unless you want to activate Day/Night on a D7000). As soon as you enter the Service Menu your settings get reset.
post #55 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Don't worry about the Service Menu. You really don't need to go in there for anything (unless you want to activate Day/Night on a D7000). As soon as you enter the Service Menu your settings get reset.

Oh, yes, I've already done that. I followed the post that was linked in this thread

But no, I've had it reset before I even knew how to access the service menu. Is it possible that unplugging the TV resets the picture settings? That's one thing I remember doing before encountering a reset.
post #56 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Let us know if you figure out what is causing it. It would definitely be good to know so that we can avoid losing settings. I've heard that activating the Day/Night option on the D7000 can cause some volatility, but that's not even an option on the D8000.

Is there any way to activate the Day/Night option on the pn64d8000...
post #57 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I think this post from the D7000 thread probably actually applies to the D8000

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=963
post #58 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard that you need to do it with an RS-232 cable, but I don't know for sure. My calibrator recommended against enabling it because of the volatility it introduces. He's had a lot of customers frequently lose their settings with Day/Night enabled. Maybe that's why Samsung doesn't enable it by default.
post #59 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Rather than have people post calibration settings in the general owner's thread where they'll get buried, I figured I'd start a new thread specifically for calibration settings. I figure it makes sense to have people post their settings for both the D7000 & D8000 models since they essentially use the same panel. If anyone tries any of the settings that are posted here, please report back. It will be interesting to see how well the settings transfer between individual sets and sizes.

My PN64D8000 was calibrated by Gregg Loewen from Lion AV. He did a great job and kept me informed about what he was doing every step of the way. The gray-scale and colors ended up spot on.

Here are the settings that I ended up with after the calibration. I've also attached the before and after charts for reference.

Those charts are very impressive! How long did it take Gregg to dial the display in? Did you have him work on 3D? Your basic settings look similar to what I'm using on the 59D7000. Gamma = -1 is perfect at night. I have gamma set to 0 during the day. I've increased sharpness for DirecTV, but have it lowered to 0 for high quality (bluray/1080p) sources.
post #60 of 3305 Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

Like others have mentioned, you should only lose picture settings if you

1) enter the service menu
2) perform a factory reset
3) upgrade the f/w (depends on the rev)

The settings are also independently assigned for each input.

Quote:

I've heard that you need to do it with an RS-232 cable, but I don't know for sure. My calibrator recommended against enabling it because of the volatility it introduces. He's had a lot of customers frequently lose their settings with Day/Night enabled. Maybe that's why Samsung doesn't enable it by default.

The only issue I've come across in the D-series models is that 3D doesn't function properly within the CAL presets.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page