AVS Forum banner
763K views 3K replies 431 participants last post by  kv1vega 
#1 ·
Rather than have people post calibration settings in the general owner's thread where they'll get buried, I figured I'd start a new thread specifically for calibration settings. I figure it makes sense to have people post their settings for both the D7000 & D8000 models since they essentially use the same panel. If anyone tries any of the settings that are posted here, please report back. It will be interesting to see how well the settings transfer between individual sets and sizes.

My PN64D8000 was calibrated by Gregg Loewen from Lion AV. He did a great job and kept me informed about what he was doing every step of the way. The gray-scale and colors ended up spot on.

Here are the settings that I ended up with after the calibration. I've also attached the before and after charts for reference.

Edit: I replaced my settings with the latest collaborative table that shows my settings along with settings from zoyd, cue03, and LarryInRI

TiVoHDzoydcue03LarryInRI
64D800051D800064D800064D7000
ModeMovieMovieMovieMovie
Peak White30ftL27.8ftL
Cell Light20152015
Contrast96809580
Brightness54545366
Sharpness0050
Color50505044
Tint50/5050/5050/5048/52
Black Toneoffoffoff
Dynamicoffoffoff
gamma-1-1-10
RGB Onlyoff
Flesh Tone000
Edge Enhanceoffoffoff
Motion Lightoffoffoff
xvYccoffoffoff
Color Tonewarm2warm2warm2
Digital Noiseoffoffoff
mpeg Noiseoffoffoff
Color Space
Red_r48394336
Red_g66650
Red_b65550
Green_r20201460
Green_g54505050
Green_b36120
Blue_r31340
Blue_g33020
Blue_b50414750
Yellow_r53514850
Yellow_g53515050
Yellow_b6752
Cyan_r17181520
Cyan_g52484946
Cyan_b52485146
Magenta_r47414440
Magenta_g8663
Magenta_b57484847
White Balance
r-offset26222528
g-offset25262522
b-offset22252522
r-gain13302528
g-gain25252524
b-gain29273024
10-point
r10-110
g10-100
b10011
r202-40
g201-30
b202-40
r31010
g30010
b30-200
r40100
g40010
b40-11-1
r5002-1
g51120
b52-331
r6-201-1
g60010
b60121
r71100
g72100
b72200
r8-2-1-10
g800-10
b801-10
r90-100
g92-100
b9-21-10
r100110
g102000
b10-23-30

See less See more
#477 ·
Looks pretty good, couple of notes:

*) There is technically no need to adjust color/tint if making color space adjustments with a meter.

*) As far as color temp, you just pick one thats close to where you need to be (6504k) and then calibrate grayscale. As you reign in grayscale, color temp will reign itself in. IMO, Warm2 is too red outta the box, at least it was on my display.

#479 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddesignz /forum/post/20588966

I've been messing around with settings for a while now. I've tried All the posted setups. And just have not been satisfied. So I got a Spyder 2 and hcfr And tried taking a stab and calibrating myself. The results I got, I'm very happy with. I mainly watch Cable TV and occasional movies VIA Ps3 The settings seem nice with both inputs. I really wanted something to work with the Standard color tone. The warm ones were just to yellow for me. My TV is a PN64D8000

Congrats on taking the dive into calibration. What do the measurements look like for those settings, color temp, gamma, and gamut?

#480 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/20505682

Last night I had a little time to re-do the calibration on my 64D7000. The initial run was conducted with only 50 hours on the set and this new run is with about 200 hours.

I have had a PN59D7000 running for two weeks using LarryInRI's redone settings from 5-30 and have loved it, but last night I noticed something strange

When looking at black bars around a 2.4:1 blu-ray or a full black image upclose, i noticed a lot of noise (dithering) flickering around in the black. I thought it might be my source, but after playing with the picture settings I found that reducing the gamma from 1 to 0 mostly removed this, and -1 made the blacks perfect. For now i will go with dave-o's settings for the d7000 since it is using a gamma of 0.

I'm going to give my set another week or so before I borrow my friends eye-1 probe and do a full calibration, after which i will post my settings as well

#481 ·
Anybody with gaming calibrations.

I tried Tivo's for movie mode for regular tv and blu ray and it looks fantastic.

The issue is that it is to dark for gaming. I put the same settings on standard for gaming except the disabled 10pt white and it looks nice

But I would love to have the 10pt scale available in gaming as well and when I tried Tivo's movie mode settings for gaming, it was to dark and lost all shadow detail on games like grand theft auto 4. It looked nice if I put warm 1 and disableld 10pt scale. The 10pt scale is what was causing the shadow detail to be lost in games.

I was standing on the streets in grand theft auto and looked up at the train tracks above Niko's house at the start of the game and with 10pt off I could see the tracks and with it on it turned pitch black.

Is there anyway to fix this without having to turn off 10pt

#482 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 /forum/post/20592538

Anybody with gaming calibrations.

Which gaming system are you using? could be some settings to tweak on the system side to get a better picture

what i did to dial in the black levels and brightness was to download mp4 the calibration videos from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 to a USB thumb drive and watch the videos from my Xbox360, then adjust the brightness and contrast till they looked right

I only used the basic settings folder for this, so if you only have a smaller usb drive like me, its only a few hundred MB.

#483 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkeast /forum/post/20592702

Which gaming system are you using? could be some settings to tweak on the system side to get a better picture

what i did to dial in the black levels and brightness was to download mp4 the calibration videos from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 to a USB thumb drive and watch the videos from my Xbox360, then adjust the brightness and contrast till they looked right

I only used the basic settings folder for this, so if you only have a smaller usb drive like me, its only a few hundred MB.

I play games on both the PS3 and Xbox 360......I like Tivo's movie mode settings for watching tv and blu rays but for gaming I lose all shadow detail with the 10pt scale ON.

#484 ·
Did anybody try to calibrate the WP from the Service Menu?

I can change the base WP settings but the Movie mode WP settings are grayed out in Dynamic mode. (And it's the default mode and the SM always resets to default...)

If I feed it with 3D signal then it switches to Movie mode because it's the default mode for 3D. When I do this, the Movie mode WP settings aren't grayed out but they aren't adjustable.

Does anybody know how could I change the picture mode from the SM?

Does anybody know how could I change the Movie mode WP settings?

(European model, so may be it's different with US models.)

#487 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI
Last night I had a little time to re-do the calibration on my 64D7000. The initial run was conducted with only 50 hours on the set and this new run is with about 200 hours.

For my D7000, the posted D8000 settings do not work well at all. In particular, the gamma setting is quite different.

Here are the results of the new calibration. The main changes are in the color space section and the resulting 10 point values. (I didn't have enough time to do them carefully the first time around.) The peak output for these settings on my 64D7000 is about 29 ftL with a gamma of about 2.22. I have attached graphs for the RGB tracking, gamma, and the color gamut.

** SNIP **

I am using these settings for my 59" D7000 and they look pretty good. I am used to seeing a calibrated picture as I just replaced a PN58B860 that was ISF calibrated.

I already notice the darker black level on this set. I started with Cnet's D8000 settings and they looked ok but seemed a bit dark on my panel.

Of course, my new set has only 10 - 15 hours so I will give a better review once I break it in more.

#488 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon
Here is what sparked that question. I have Ycbcr settings on PS3 on with Super White. There is an option to set RGB to Limited or Full. Also, of course there is the TV HDMI level set to low or normal. Absolutely positively with RGB Set to Full and HDMI set to low the picture looks incredible. Much closer to a picture I am used too on my Kuro. I am using a 1080p Grayscale image I saved on the PS3. I played with all the combination, leaving normal\\limited, full\\low, normal\\low and checked the grayscale. The final bar you can barely see in every instance both directions closer to 16 and 235. However the darks are VERY dark and it would seem the mll is a lot darker and essentially the blacks appear to be a shade or two darker. I noticed watching the opening scene of the first episode of Game of Thrones a few things. For starters, this is the perfect reference item to check blacks because it starts with a tunnel scene where they light a torch and come out of the tunnel in a excellent panned out beautifully white snowing scene.

With my preferred low and full settings the clothes look very dark you can not see as far in the tunnel when they light the torch

With the other extreme, limited and normal, clothes look more brown matching the horses, trees looked more brown clearly lighter.

So I notice both in color and picture that the HDMI settings as well as RGB settings have a direct impact and it is VERY visible. I am trying to get a better understanding of the blacks to know if I am crushing my blacks but bring the other colors out. I think for those using these settings need to understand the relationship between what the HDMI settings are doing.

Sorry so long winded.
Hi Brandon,

What DefunctRez said seem accurate to me. I also wondered for a while what was the proper setting and I personnally use Full for the PS3 and Normal for the TV. When you will switch to this setting your picture will be looking washed out at first but you need to lower your contrast value to compensate and then you will get a wonderfull picture.

Ghislain

#489 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghis_acr
Hi Brandon,

What DefunctRez said seem accurate to me. I also wondered for a while what was the proper setting and I personnally use Full for the PS3 and Normal for the TV. When you will switch to this setting your picture will be looking washed out at first but you need to lower your contrast value to compensate and then you will get a wonderfull picture.

Ghislain
Using Full range on the PS3 is the same as using Low hdmi black level on the t.v

It is best to just leave it at limited on the PS3 and low on the tv.

#490 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977
Using Full range on the PS3 is the same as using Low hdmi black level on the t.v

It is best to just leave it at limited on the PS3 and low on the tv.
Hi NJPapi1977,

On what information or test are you basing your statement? When I do select Full on PS3 and Low on tv I clearly see black crush on the screen. When setting PS3 to Full and the TV to Normal and adjusting the constrast value of the TV properly I do have a really nice picture and don't seem to have any black crush.

Regards

Ghislain

#492 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghis_acr
Hi NJPapi1977,

On what information or test are you basing your statement? When I do select Full on PS3 and Low on tv I clearly see black crush on the screen. When setting PS3 to Full and the TV to Normal and adjusting the constrast value of the TV properly I do have a really nice picture and don't seem to have any black crush.

Regards

Ghislain
I have been told that the tv does a better job of displaying the black level then the ps3.

Besides, if you put full range rgb on the ps3 and watch a blu ray then the hdmi black level will be normal on the tv but you will be crusing blacks on the movie

#494 ·
So I turned the Cal-Day and Cal-Night option on and am seeing the bug when 3D content is dispalyed. Does anyone think they will fix this issue with a Firmware update, or since it's generally only going to be used by a small percentage of people who calibrate their TV's, do you think they will bother?

#498 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macleod52 /forum/post/20597885

Only Cal-Day/Night

Ok then I am good. I use movie mode with Tivo's setting and they are tight for watching tv and blu rays.

I use Cal Day for gaming with tivo's settings. In Cal Day with the same movie mode settings as Tivo posted, the colors are more lush and a bit brighter for gaming.

I will have to game on Standard when I want to do 3D though

#499 ·
Hey guys, looooong time lurker, but first post.

After being a long-time Panny fan and initially drooling over the P65VT30 then reading some of the horror stories about it, I decided that spending A LOT less money for slightly less PQ (negligible as far as my eyes can tell) was worth it to me and I ended up getting myself a PN64D8000 for my family room and a PN51D8000 for the bedroom. I ordered from Abt on the 14th and they arrived yesterday along with 2 3D starter kits. I set them up on their stands temporarily as I will be wall-mounting very soon, and immediately calibrated them to Tivo's settings on the 64 and zoyd's on the 51. The 51 seems a bit dark to me even in my pitch black bedroom, so I'm going to play with cue03's settings and try different things out until I decide which looks best to me.

You guys have been a tremendous help and it's greatly appreciated. The 64 with Tivo's settings was breathtaking. I couldn't believe how incredible everything looked. I almost felt the same way I did several years ago after walking into Circuit City to check out those "newfangled" HDTVs in the back displaying video streams of flowers, waterfalls, and space shuttles launching.

Now I just need to figure out why the hell my 51 doesn't pick up my wireless-N network. :\\ I was under the impression that all of the D8000s were B/G/N compatible. Does anyone here have a 51" D8000 successfully connected to N wifi?

Jose

#505 ·

Now I just need to figure out why the hell my 51 doesn't pick up my wireless-N network. :\\ I was under the impression that all of the D8000s were B/G/N compatible. Does anyone here have a 51" D8000 successfully connected to N wifi?

Jose[/QU

I have an N router and my 51 connected to the network right away. I didn't have to do anything. I used zoyd's settings also and it did improve the color alot. I thought mine was too light and made mine slightly darker than zoyds settings.

#500 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Boricua /forum/post/20602334

After being a long-time Panny fan and initially drooling over the P65VT30 then reading some of the horror stories about it, I decided that spending A LOT less money for slightly less PQ (negligible as far as my eyes can tell) was worth it to me and I ended up getting myself a PN64D8000 for my family room and a PN51D8000 for the bedroom. I ordered from Abt on the 14th and they arrived yesterday along with 2 3D starter kits. I set them up on their stands temporarily as I will be wall-mounting very soon, and immediately calibrated them to Tivo's settings on the 64 and zoyd's on the 51. The 51 seems a bit dark to me even in my pitch black bedroom, so I'm going to play with cue03's settings and try different things out until I decide which looks best to me.

You guys have been a tremendous help and it's greatly appreciated. The 64 with Tivo's settings was breathtaking. I couldn't believe how incredible everything looked. I almost felt the same way I did several years ago after walking into Circuit City to check out those "newfangled" HDTVs in the back displaying video streams of flowers, waterfalls, and space shuttles launching.

Jose

I have seen both the Panny and Sammy next to each other and the Panny does not have better pq. The blacks might be a bit darker but the colors on the Sammy are beyond incredible.

#501 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 /forum/post/20602347

I have seen both the Panny and Sammy next to each other and the Panny does not have better pq. The blacks might be a bit darker but the colors on the Sammy are beyond incredible.

You're right, I should rephrase... Instead of better PQ, I should've said darker blacks on the Panny. Dark blacks are just important to me.
Hence the reason I don't mess with LCD!

Jose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.