Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread
taz23's Avatar taz23 02:27 PM 08-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee123 View Post

Hi I have had three replacement ps64d8000's due to peeling screens and my fourth tv is peeling now , I have been in touch with the store who have now said that the peeling is only a protection film used for transport and should be removed after delivery and samsung will be putting this on the forums, has anybody removed this.

If that's the case why are Samsung repairing the TV's with peeling by placing plastic washers between the bezel and the screen, I think the shop is telling you porkys as Samsung are aware of the problem, people who had theres repaired have seen the bulletin from Samsung about the problem and July Aug built ones are supposed to be shipped with the repair built in.

LarryInRI's Avatar LarryInRI 04:21 PM 08-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoned View Post

i'll give those a go and see how it turns out.

what i look for is a picture that is very vivid. one where the colors just pop in crystal clear clarity. i'm not talking about a over saturated image like u get with most dynamic settings. i want to see the sweat and pores on a person's face when i'm watching a movie. i want to see small details like individual leaves and blades of grass.

I'm not sure that I understand your points.

1) A true calibration with meters will yield proper color saturation.

2) Beyond turning off all the "enhancement" features and adjusting the sharpness so that no artifacts appear, resolution is not a big part of calibration. For a fixed pixel display, the resolution is set by the number of pixels and it's the number of pixels that determine the clarity of 'small details.'

3) A calibration will make your TV have the proper:

a. Brightness and Contrast settings.
b. Grayscale -- the black and white picture.
c. Gamma -- the rate that black goes through gray to reach white. (Actually there is no agreed on spec for gamma but a calibration will make it at least consistent across the grayscale range.)
d. Color.

Larry
houstoned's Avatar houstoned 04:22 PM 08-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by varkeast View Post
Got my calibration completed on my PN59D7000 using i1-pro and colorHCFR. It all went really well i think. I started with LarryInRI's latest settings and adjusted from there. His gave me a really low gamma for some reason, so i changed from gamma 0 to -1 then adjusted from there. I fixed the red bump at 10-20% but forgot to save the new measurements

Did anyone else notice there appears to be a bug in adjusting the cyan? No matter how much red I added, the dot never moved...

anyways here's my settings

Mode Movie
Peak White 35ftL
Cell Light 15
Contrast 94
Brightness 65
Sharpness 10
Color 48
Tint 50/50
Black Tone off
Dynamic off
gamma -1
RGB Only off
Flesh Tone off
Edge Enhance off
Motion Light off
xvYcc off
Color Tone warm2
Digital Noise off
mpeg Noise off

Color Space
Red_r 78
Red_g 75
Red_b 50
Green_r 100
Green_g 16
Green_b 0
Blue_r 18
Blue_g 22
Blue_b 37
Yellow_r 14
Yellow_g 29
Yellow_b 43
Cyan_r 100
Cyan_g 48
Cyan_b 36
Magenta_r 37
Magenta_g 100
Magenta_b 49

White Balance
r-offset 24
g-offset 22
b-offset 26
r-gain 21
g-gain 26
b-gain 28

10-point
r1 0
g1 1
b1 -1
r2 3
g2 2
b2 -1
r3 4
g3 3
b3 -1
r4 3
g4 3
b4 0
r5 3
g5 3
b5 1
r6 4
g6 4
b6 0
r7 3
g7 3
b7 1
r8 1
g8 3
b8 -1
r9 -2
g9 -2
b9 -6
r10 -3
g10 -2
b10 -3
thanks for the info larry.

so far, varkeast's settings have been the closest to what i've been looking for. i think i read that he based the settings off of larry's calibration. they are much better than the CNET one's i tried before it. i connected my ps3 to it, and played a few blu rays to test out a some things. the picture quality was pretty dang nice. i just have a few small minor tweaks, so that it'll be to more of my preferences then hopefully my D7000 will perform beautifully for many NFL seasons to come!
moody03svt's Avatar moody03svt 07:41 PM 08-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkon View Post

Hey guys, I'm a noob to the pn51D8000. I have only had my set on for about 7 hours (awesome btw). I followed the calibration settings on page one and the picture looks unbelievable.

Question: what is this "break-in" period that everyone is talking about? Should I not have used calibration settings just yet? Also, how do I adjust the peak white setting (sorry, I know I've asked this twice already). And is there anything else I should know? This is my first plasma, and I know the basic regarding IR... just want to know if there is any specific to this set I should know.

I have this same question and concern. I am 8 hours in on standard mode with my PN59D8000. I was thinking about going into the SM and turn on cal-day and cal-night modes. Oh and start some xbox.

If anyone has quick tips please pass along.

Also hoping Larry can help me or message me with info.

Thanks everyone for help.
R3ddlight's Avatar R3ddlight 07:47 PM 08-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by moody03svt View Post

I have this same question and concern. I am 8 hours in on standard mode with my PN59D8000. I was thinking about going into the SM and turn on cal-day and cal-night modes. Oh and start some xbox.

If anyone has quick tips please pass along.

Also hoping Larry can help me or message me with info.

Thanks everyone for help.

Cal day mode for me is best for games, it has a brighter image compare to standard or movie mode. You well enjoy it. But I would recommend to break in your tv before turning up the cell light and contras up. Because IR are most likely to happened. If it wasn't for the cal day mode i would of trade it on for an un65d8000. Cause i prefer playing games on a brighter display. Now I'm very happy with my pn64d8000.
plaguedbysamsung's Avatar plaguedbysamsung 11:19 PM 08-23-2011
I've been running TiVoHD's settings since getting my PN64D8000 (replacing my 3 failed PN63C8000s) and upgraded to the new 1018 firmware tonight, after which I watched a Vudu HDX stream.

It may well be selective memory, but I noticed that the stream seemed really washed out. Upon invoking the Menu to check the Picture settings, I found myself in Standard (vs. Movie mode), with non of my settings in place, and no ability to change anything but Cell Light. Switching to any of the other avail modes gave the same effect; none were my settings and none let me control anything other than Cell Light.

I always assumed that Vudu, Netflix et al used the mode/settings you had set before invoking them; it seems very odd that the apps would override user settings with such terrible configurations and give the user no control.

Has it always been like this and I just haven't noticed? Or is this a new, umm, feature?

(Realize this might belong in the Owner's thread, but given that it's at least partially about settings, thought this thread would have the most knowledgeable ppl.)

Thanks for any/all help!
moody03svt's Avatar moody03svt 06:52 AM 08-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ddlight View Post

Cal day mode for me is best for games, it has a brighter image compare to standard or movie mode. You well enjoy it. But I would recommend to break in your tv before turning up the cell light and contras up. Because IR are most likely to happened. If it wasn't for the cal day mode i would of trade it on for an un65d8000. Cause i prefer playing games on a brighter display. Now I'm very happy with my pn64d8000.

You have more experience than me but I tried out using the game mode on the tv last night on Xbox and it was very bright! Still within the realm of normal but still bright. I had a good time but now I am 18 hours in to break in period.
Tallen234's Avatar Tallen234 07:44 AM 08-24-2011
I am getting my D7000 today and am planning on a modified break in period. Watching limited full content and then running slides when not watching tv. What setting should I use for

1. The limited tv/bluray reviewing

2. Running the slides

Thanks
R3ddlight's Avatar R3ddlight 07:49 AM 08-24-2011
Quote:

You have more experience than me but I tried out using the game mode on the tv last night on Xbox and it was very bright! Still within the realm of normal but still bright. I had a good time but now I am 18 hours in to break in period.

I guess it all come down to people own preference, but I like seeing my games bright and crisp, and cal day mode give me that option. Because in standard mode, the white aren't as white, if you can get to the service menu to unlock the cal day mode, let me no what you think. Because video games looks outstanding. Thanks
cyberbrad's Avatar cyberbrad 08:18 AM 08-24-2011
What settings is everyone using for watching 3D?
moody03svt's Avatar moody03svt 08:22 AM 08-24-2011
Quote:

I guess it all come down to people own preference, but I like seeing my games bright and crisp, and cal day mode give me that option. Because in standard mode, the white aren't as white, if you can get to the service menu to unlock the cal day mode, let me no what you think. Because video games looks outstanding. Thanks

Oh no I agree I will try that. I guess I was just asking if you have noticed playing Xbox on game mode on (even though it uses standard) is MUCH brighter than just playing Xbox in standard mode with game mode off?
R3ddlight's Avatar R3ddlight 10:26 AM 08-24-2011
Quote:

Oh no I agree I will try that. I guess I was just asking if you have noticed playing Xbox on game mode on (even though it uses standard) is MUCH brighter than just playing Xbox in standard mode with game mode off?

Yeah i try game mode also, the only thing i don't like about it, is 10p is gray out. And game mode make your picture too sharp with artifact. Even if you turn sharpness down to me it doesn't look right. And in my eyes cal day mode still give you a more whiter white. As for me i can't tell about the input lag. Cause game mode suppose to be better with the lag.
kristofke's Avatar kristofke 01:08 PM 08-24-2011
Quote:

so far, varkeast's settings have been the closest to what i've been looking for. i think i read that he based the settings off of larry's calibration. they are much better than the CNET one's i tried before it. i connected my ps3 to it, and played a few blu rays to test out a some things. the picture quality was pretty dang nice. i just have a few small minor tweaks, so that it'll be to more of my preferences then hopefully my D7000 will perform beautifully for many NFL seasons to come!

I just applied them to my PS64D8000 and the picture was horrible.

The beautiful colorful world was now just like after a nuclear war... gray and no green/blue/red.
Tallen234's Avatar Tallen234 01:45 PM 08-24-2011
I dont think the D7000 settings translate to the D8000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristofke View Post

The beautiful colorful world was now just like after a nuclear war... gray and no green/blue/red.

LarryInRI's Avatar LarryInRI 02:54 PM 08-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

I dont think the D7000 settings translate to the D8000.

Right, they do not. And the D8000 setting do not work on the D7000.

Larry
Tallen234's Avatar Tallen234 08:27 PM 08-24-2011
Has anyone posted both their Cal-Day and Cal-Night along with their 3d settings?
houstoned's Avatar houstoned 11:54 AM 08-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristofke View Post

that sucks. vark's settings provided me with the closest results i was lookin for. after that, i just adjusted the backlighting to fit my room's ambient lighting. cnet's settings just didn't "pop" or "wow" me at ALL. i was actually kind of disappointed with the d7000's picture quality until i tried vark's settings. those factory presets are nowhere near what i'm lookin for.
BAMABLUHD's Avatar BAMABLUHD 02:53 PM 08-25-2011
Quote:

Ok, I'm lost. What is game mode on the D7000? I've only had this great TV for two days and haven't found a good game setting.

I won't actually play any games for another week or so to break it in some.

Any advice is most helpful!
R3ddlight's Avatar R3ddlight 06:16 PM 08-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

Ok, I'm lost. What is game mode on the D7000? I've only had this great TV for two days and haven't found a good game setting.

I won't actually play any games for another week or so to break it in some.

Any advice is most helpful!

I'm not a pro, but if you use tivohd setting on cal day mode, it look outstanding for games. But I don't no if it works with the d7000, since his calibration is for the d8000. But for the dynamic contras I like to put it on low or medium, because it give the picture more pop. And put noise reduction at low.
KerryWood34's Avatar KerryWood34 07:37 PM 08-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

There's this one from June 30th.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20639973

I have a few more good calibration settings for my 64D7000 using different approaches if anyone is interested.

Larry

I'd be interested in trying those other settings you mentioned. Would you mind posting them?

KWood34
LarryInRI's Avatar LarryInRI 09:11 PM 08-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryWood34 View Post

I'd be interested in trying those other settings you mentioned. Would you mind posting them?

KWood34

Sure, here they are.

The approach that I took was to leave the top level controls (cell, contrast, brightness, etc.) essentially the same. On one, I kept the green white balance values at the default 25 and put gamma at +1. On the other, I used all white balance values as variables and put gamma at the default 0. I planned to do two more calibrations with gamma switched -- but I ran out of steam and never got back to run them.

edit: My certified i1 Pro spectroradiometer was used for both runs. The AVSHD calibration disk version 1.3 played on my Samsung BD-P2500 was used as the source.

Here is the first listing for the calibration. I've attached some charts for it. (The second calibration will be in a separate post.)

64D7000 at 28 ftL
7/29/2011 with i1 Pro

Movie mode
Cell =17
Cont = 80
Bright = 62
Sharp = 10
Color = 50
Tint = 50/50
Color Tone = Warm2
Gamma = +1
All other stuff Off

White Balance
Roff = 26
Goff = 25
Boff = 20
Rgain = 13
Ggain = 25
Bgain = 23

Color Space
R G B
R: 50, 100, 88
G: 100, 62, 0
B: 80, 0, 60
Y: 10, 66, 0
C: 100, 58, 80
M: 37, 100, 50

10 Point Interval
1: -3, -4, -4
2: -2, -2, -3
3: +2, 0. 0
4: +3, +2, +1
5: +1, +3, +3
6: +1, +1, 0
7: +1, +1, +1
8: +2, +2, +1
9: 0, +1, -1
10: 0, 0, 0

Larry
LL
LL
LL
LarryInRI's Avatar LarryInRI 09:13 PM 08-25-2011
Here is the other list.

64d7000 at 27 ftL
8/19/2011 with i1 Pro

Movie mode
Cell =17
Cont = 78
Bright = 62
Sharp = 10
Color = 50
Tint = 51/49
Color Tone = Warm2
Gamma = 0
All other stuff Off

White Balance
Roff = 28
Goff = 22
Boff = 23
Rgain = 17
Ggain = 30
Bgain = 25

Color Space
R G B
R: 38, 100, 91
G: 100, 50, 45
B: 72, 2, 60
Y: 40, 60, 10
C: 100, 54, 88
M: 0, 100, 80

10 Point Interval
1: -1, 0, 0
2: 0, -0, -1
3: +1, +1, -1
4: +1, +2, -1
5: +1, +1, +3
6: -1, 0, -1
7: -1, +1, -2
8: -1, +2, 0
9: -2, 0, -3
10: 0, 0, 0

Larry
LL
LL
LL
Tallen234's Avatar Tallen234 09:37 PM 08-25-2011
When watching sports, has anyone experienced sort of a cloudy haze or fog especially on very wide shots of the field. I've tried various settings on this thread with Movie and with each of them, I still get this cloudy look. In these wide shots I actually prefer dynamic!

Any insight?
spdntrxi's Avatar spdntrxi 10:09 PM 08-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

When watching sports, has anyone experienced sort of a cloudy haze or fog especially on very wide shots of the field. I've tried various settings on this thread with Movie and with each of them, I still get this cloudy look. In these wide shots I actually prefer dynamic!

Any insight?

Sounds like DSE (dirty screen effect) I have heard of it, but not witnessed it myself on my own panel.
alexmanny01's Avatar alexmanny01 10:56 PM 08-25-2011
Does anyone have settings for regular cable?
HD cable and sports?
Thanks in advance.
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 11:16 PM 08-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanny01 View Post

Does anyone have settings for regular cable?
HD cable and sports?
Thanks in advance.

Use one of the posted settings and adjust to preference. Usually its a 1 stop shop for settings which you leave it in for that source feed.
Wanderlai's Avatar Wanderlai 01:22 AM 08-26-2011
How many hours should I run the Evangelo slides? I'm in at about 50hrs now.
varkeast's Avatar varkeast 08:21 AM 08-26-2011
Quote:

so far, varkeast's settings have been the closest to what i've been looking for. i think i read that he based the settings off of larry's calibration. they are much better than the CNET one's i tried before it.

Houstoned,

Glad the settings are working out for you. i remeasured my set after 1-200 more hours and it still lined up really well

the only tweak i made is moving b2 from the 10pt from -1 to +1
R3ddlight's Avatar R3ddlight 08:54 AM 08-26-2011
This question has notting to do with this tread. However anyone use a monster HDMI cable on this set? I try audio quest chocolate HDMI cable and my picture quality is more crips and charity then my $30 HDMI cable. I nottice more when playing video games. Is monster better then audio quest? Any help would be appreciated. They both retail at $99. Thanks
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 10:04 AM 08-26-2011
Quote:

This question has notting to do with this tread. However anyone use a monster HDMI cable on this set? I try audio quest chocolate HDMI cable and my picture quality is more crips and charity then my $30 HDMI cable. I nottice more when playing video games. Is monster better then audio quest? Any help would be appreciated. They both retail at $99. Thanks

Rule of thumb is that in most cases a 3$ HDMI cable will perfom the same as a 99$ cable. Unless you are going over a long.run most people are very happy.with monoprice cables. This is just IMHO as I have seen it talked about numerous times in these forums.
Tags: Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop