Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 3305 Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 782
I've update my calibration of the D8000 after 500 hours of use and the new numbers are in post #2 of this thread. The only significant change was in the white balance presumably since the phosphor decay rates are different for the different materials. Green output was lower than Red and Blue by about 4 %. Once the white balance was set the colors required only minor tweaks.
zoyd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 3305 Old 09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Rob67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrade View Post
help... anyone... please? :-)

I just got my new PN59D7000 delivered last Friday and I'm loving it so far. I've used the CNET settings for now since they were the closest to my model number I found in this thread. A few questions I'd really appreciate some help on:

1. I've applied the CNET settings to the HDMI1 source where I have my cable box connected. Should I use the same settings for other sources such as my PS3? I use my PS3 for both games and blu-rays.
Are you connecting directly to the TV or are you running connections through an AVR with a single HDMI out to the TV? That would change how you set up your TV. If you are using direct connections to the set, each input has independent settings (i.e. you can configure MOVIE mode for each input, etc.). If you are a stickler for accuracy, you will want to have each input calibrated based off your source.

But, for the most part, using the CNET settings across the board and using MOVIE mode will work. I have DirecTV and a PS3 both running to the set via some input by way of an AVR. I leave the calibration settings the same and it is fine for me.

If you are using an AVR, taking advantage of the various modes will be beneficial as you can use MOVIE for Blu Ray and then calibrate CAL NIGHT and CAL DAY for other sources.

All up to you.

Quote:
2. Do I need to use the same or different settings for 3D mode? It seems like the 3D settings are different than the non-3D mode for a given source. As expected the image looks a bit darker with glasses so I'm not sure if I should tweak this a bit (contrast, cell light, etc).
The glasses have a tint causing the "darker" image. I saw a calibrated set of 3D settings in this thread. Just search through it to find. 3D settings are independent of the other modes.

Quote:
3. Should I be using the RGB Full Range setting on my PS3 to Full or Limited? From what I've read, this should be configured in conjunction with the TV's HDMI black level (set to Normal right now), but I'm not sure what is the right setting here or what I should be looking for to make sure it's right.
The correct setting for TV and Blu Ray sources is "Limited." If you set your TV to "Low" and the PS3 to "Limited" you should go from there. Follow CNETs settings to a T and use limited on the PS3.
Rob67 is offline  
post #993 of 3305 Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

The correct setting for TV and Blu Ray sources is "Limited." If you set your TV to "Low" and the PS3 to "Limited" you should go from there. Follow CNETs settings to a T and use limited on the PS3.

I recommend setting the PS3 output to YCbCr (and Superwhite on) rather than RGB for the simple reason that this will calibrate the TV's decoder rather than the PS3's. This allows you to transfer the calibration to any other device that outputs YCbCr and not have to worry about YCbCr->RGB mistakes. This setting will also automatically get you the right HDMI levels.
zoyd is online now  
post #994 of 3305 Old 09-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off I used Calman 4.3.2 with my new C6 meter to gather these numbers. On the screen after it was running for 2 hours.

Comparison of my setting and one of those on the first page:

TiVoHD Mine (9/4/2011)
64D8000 51D7000
Hours ? 286
Mode Movie Movie
Peak White 35fL
Cell Light 20 20
Contrast 96 95
Brightness 54 33
Sharpness 0 5
Color 50 50
Tint 50/50 50/50
Black Tone off off
Dynamic off off
gamma -1 1
RGB Only off off
Flesh Tone 0 0
Edge Enhance off off
Motion Light off off
xvYcc off off
Color Tone warm2 warm2
Digital Noise off off
mpeg Noise off off
Color Space
Red_r 48 47
Red_g 6 37
Red_b 6 31
Green_r 20 100
Green_g 54 52
Green_b 3 4
Blue_r 3 0
Blue_g 3 26
Blue_b 50 62
Yellow_r 53 56
Yellow_g 53 65
Yellow_b 6 0
Cyan_r 17 0
Cyan_g 52 71
Cyan_b 52 100
Magenta_r 47 70
Magenta_g 8 0
Magenta_b 57 100
White Balance
r-offset 26 31
g-offset 25 30
b-offset 22 30
r-gain 13 0
g-gain 25 4
b-gain 29 8
10-point
r1 0 10
g1 0 8
b1 0 10
r2 0 6
g2 0 7
b2 0 8
r3 1 4
g3 0 5
b3 0 4
r4 0 1
g4 0 2
b4 0 0
r5 0 0
g5 1 2
b5 2 -2
r6 -2 -3
g6 0 0
b6 0 -5
r7 1 0
g7 2 3
b7 2 1
r8 -2 -3
g8 0 0
b8 0 1
r9 0 -3
g9 2 0
b9 -2 -3
r10 0 -1
g10 2 0
b10 -2 2


Overall I'm happy with it configuration the 10point seems great 20-100, (let not talk about 10, although I've never put much trust in what most meter show for 10% anyways).
My biggest issue so far is how poor the green lines up with the rec .709 space, I have it forced as far as I can currently and am still way out of line on it. I'm planing on playing with tint (for Cal Night and Cal Day next and see if that helps any), but the DeltaL's all look good as does the Gamut Luminance, and DeltaH for all but green, but being green is so far off, my DeltaC for Cyan, Green are obviously off. I'm less sure why Magenta is so far off, as red and blue and nearly spot on.

Anyways this is what I have, I'd like any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve the green issue, and also as to why I seem to have such a drop off on the lower end of the 10 point, if you look around 10-30% I'm really pushing the numbers to get the 10point to work out. I initially set the white balance at 30% and 70% and then used 10 point from there , is that the correct way to do so, I know its what I've been told to do in the past with TV's with no 10point.

Any suggestions, as to how I can clean this up any more, before I start with Clan Day and Cal Night?
ERIC
LL
LL
LL

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #995 of 3305 Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
Anyways this is what I have, I'd like any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve the green issue, and also as to why I seem to have such a drop off on the lower end of the 10 point, if you look around 10-30% I'm really pushing the numbers to get the 10point to work out. I initially set the white balance at 30% and 70% and then used 10 point from there , is that the correct way to do so, I know its what I've been told to do in the past with TV's with no 10point.

Any suggestions, as to how I can clean this up any more, before I start with Clan Day and Cal Night?
ERIC
Your numbers are way outside the normal solution space because your rgb gains are too low. Reset these using 80% white starting from their midpoints and then reset offsets using 20% white and see how that works out.
zoyd is online now  
post #996 of 3305 Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Newbie
 
Gabe7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

I interpreted his comment as a verbal shoulder shrug -- as in the real world, it really doesn't matter.

BTW, I just increased the cell light to 100, dropped the contrast to 65, and readjusted the brightness to compensate. Without putting a meter on it, the picture visually seems to be at about the same peak luminance but the picture seems better. I can't describe it except it looks better. Maybe it's just the hour.


Larry

Hello,


I bought the PN51D7000 (build July 2011) 1 week ago to replace my broken Samsung LED UN46D6500. My first plasma. I've tried several versions of your calibration settings.

1. Why do these settings appear to create a green cast (tint) with the overall image compared to standard mode?
2. Compared to my previous Samsung LED UN46D6500, the PN51D7000 image does not have the sharpness, image wow factor, and does not appear to "pop" off the screen. The image appears soft. Is this the nature of a plasma TV compared to LEDs?
3. I've noticed a buzzing sound when the sound is turned down or when the room is quiet. Is this normal or should I have the TV replaced?

Thanks for your response.

-Gabe
Gabe7 is offline  
post #997 of 3305 Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
flea1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe7 View Post

Hello,


I bought the PN51D7000 (build July 2011) 1 week ago to replace my broken Samsung LED UN46D6500. My first plasma. I've tried several versions of your calibration settings.

1. Why do these settings appear to create a green cast (tint) with the overall image compared to standard mode?
2. Compared to my previous Samsung LED UN46D6500, the PN51D7000 image does not have the sharpness, image wow factor, and does not appear to "pop" off the screen. The image appears soft. Is this the nature of a plasma TV compared to LEDs?
3. I've noticed a buzzing sound when the sound is turned down or when the room is quiet. Is this normal or should I have the TV replaced?

Thanks for your response.

-Gabe

I had two D8000's and they both had the buzzing sound, I believe this is normal.


Quote:


zoyd: I've update my calibration of the D8000 after 500 hours of use and the new numbers are in post #2 of this thread. The only significant change was in the white balance presumably since the phosphor decay rates are different for the different materials. Green output was lower than Red and Blue by about 4 %. Once the white balance was set the colors required only minor tweaks.

Hey zoyd thanks for keeping your setting up to date, I will try your new settings when I put more time on my tv.

BTW are your old calibrations leaning a little on the red side ?
Because the whites look a little red to me, or maybe it's just on my plasma.
flea1 is offline  
post #998 of 3305 Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Member
 
knucklerama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I'm getting a bit upset with Samsung and this TV! First TV (pn64...) had issues with pealing in the top corner which I returned to my local store. Now after only roughly 45 days, I now have a pixel out in the center of my TV. I love this TV but WTF. I know this wont be that huge of a deal when watching the TV but this is ridiculous! I guess I'll just see what happens next and maybe get it fixed before my warranty is up. BTW: I have a Samsung 40' LCD in my other room which has never had an issue in almost 2 years. Just venting but just want others to be aware.
knucklerama is offline  
post #999 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by flea1 View Post


Hey zoyd thanks for keeping your setting up to date, I will try your new settings when I put more time on my tv.

BTW are your old calibrations leaning a little on the red side ?
Because the whites look a little red to me, or maybe it's just on my plasma.

Could be panel differences, whites are as they should be here as you would expect with the calibrated settings.
zoyd is online now  
post #1000 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Member
 
Malacandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question related to calibration - or maybe it's a quality of service issue...

I just got my PN64D8000, and I'm thrilled with the picture quality, especially from high-quality content like Blu-Rays played through my brand new BD-D6700. And I used one of the calibration settings from page one of this thread and applied it to my picture sources coming from both the HDMI inputs coming into the TV. And they look fine.

But I've been appalled by the 3D content coming from the SmartHub apps like Explore3D and VuDu. The SmartHub UI looks fine, 2D video streaming from these (and NetFlix and others) can look look acceptable - but anything in 3D from those apps looks really low-contrast and over-saturated: blacks are very gray.

Am I missing something here? Is there special calibration that can be applied to those sources? Or do they just really look that bad? Because I'm looking at these trailers and thinking "I won't pay money to watch THAT." and I'm pretty sure that's not the response they're looking for!
Malacandra is offline  
post #1001 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Member
 
fathermurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,
This is a GREAT THREAD...

got the PN59D7000 yesterday (Upgraded from a Sony 55" 3 LCD HD rear Projection...7 years old)
I'm going to try out a few of these settings, is it possible to have an ISF calibration done on these Plasma's?
i don't see anyone posting ISF results...

Just wanted to Thank Everyone here for taking the time to inform us all.
fathermurphy is offline  
post #1002 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Your numbers are way outside the normal solution space because your rgb gains are too low. Reset these using 80% white starting from their midpoints and then reset offsets using 20% white and see how that works out.

My issue, is that at 80%, and with all gains/offset all at 25%, I get at 80%
+40 red, +35 green, + 38 blue
while at 20% I get -4 red, -2 green, -8 blue.

If I change both gains and offset to 0's across the board I get at 80% + 10 red, + 5 green, + 2 blue at 20% I get red -54, green -51, blue -50.


Now if I go to offset at 50, gain at 0, and try again: at 80% there is almost no change (+12, +6, +2), and at 20% I have +2 red, -3 green, -21 blue.


Just for fun, I used to options in the first column, of 26,25,22 and 13,25,29 this leads to:
20%: Red - 12, green 0, blue -4
50%: red +22, green +28, blue +40
80%: red +26, green +32, blue +43

Basically it appears that gains is everything affects 20% and 80% inversely while offset does nothing at all at either 20 or 80%, which means that there is no reasonable why to get them close to what I need.

My, just lost, is my TV just bad, and can not believe this is what is suppose to happen working with Toshiba LCD's they have always been 95% independent and does what is expect of them. What I expect was to be able to adjust these to get White Balance near 0 for 20 and 80% and then use 10 point to fine tune adjust it, but that is not what I'm seeing.

ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #1003 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are 2 screen shots, the first is the setting I had in the chart above and the send is at 25 across the board. as you can see in both cases I have major drops at less than 40, so much so that the graph above 40 is impossible to read. The chart with 10 point is in my initial setup above, and is much better, but still poor.

ERIC
LL
LL

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #1004 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post

My issue, is that at 80%, and with all gains/offset all at 25%, I get at 80%
+40 red, +35 green, + 38 blue
while at 20% I get -4 red, -2 green, -8 blue.

I don't quite follow, what do you mean by +40, +35, +38 at 80% and -4,-2,-8 at 20% ? Is that a sensor reading or some reported value in the software?

Since you have a D7000 I would recommend starting with Larry's settings from post#1. Put all of them in and do a measurement and post the greyscale results so we can see what your starting point is.

edit:
ok, now I see the reports. Try Larry's settings and see if that is a better starting point.

edit2:

Looking at the <40% stimulus results and I would guess there is something wrong with the probe but the deltaE values look ok so the two plots are not consistent, maybe a software problem.
zoyd is online now  
post #1005 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I don't quite follow, what do you mean by +40, +35, +38 at 80% and -4,-2,-8 at 20% ? Is that a sensor reading or some reported value in the software?

Since you have a D7000 I would recommend starting with Larry's settings from post#1. Put all of them in and do a measurement and post the greyscale results so we can see what your starting point is.

edit:
ok, now I see the reports. Try Larry's settings and see if that is a better starting point.

edit2:

Looking at the <40% stimulus results and I would guess there is something wrong with the probe.



I know there are differences between the different models , 51, 59, 65inch using zoid's, the only ones on a 51inch screen I get the following graph. Which I'm still unhappy with, as it shows the same issues between 0 and 40 with a major drop off to the point where there is no way to make up the deficit with 10 point.

ERIC
LL

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #1006 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post

I know there are differences between the different models , 51, 59, 65inch using zoid's, the only ones on a 51inch screen I get the following graph. Which I'm still unhappy with, as it shows the same issues between 0 and 40 with a major drop off to the point where there is no way to make up the deficit with 10 point.

ERIC

D8000 settings do not work on D7000 and vice-versa.
zoyd is online now  
post #1007 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 172
ERIC,

Do you have the HDMI Black Level set to Normal?

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1008 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

ERIC,

Do you have the HDMI Black Level set to Normal?

Larry

Yes, as you can see below I have anything that should affect the image turned off currently.

After a bunch of effort I figured out, that I could only adjust the RBG gain and Offset to get a rough adjustment and that the 10point only works when done as a set going from 1-10, then 10-1 and finally from 5-1 and 5-10 making adjustments at each point.
I also ending up adjusting tint and color some to get closer colors, the results are:

Mine 9/4/2011 Mine 9/5/2011
51D7000 51D7000
Mode Movie Movie
Hours 286 293
Peak White 35fL
Cell Light 20 20
Contrast 95 95
Brightness 33 33
Sharpness 5 0
Color 50 52
Tint 50/50 52/48
Black Tone off off
Dynamic off off
gamma 1 1
RGB Only off off
Flesh Tone 0 0
Edge Enhance off off
Motion Light off off
xvYcc off off
Color Tone warm2 warm2
Digital Noise off off
mpeg Noise off off
Color Space
Red_r 47 41
Red_g 37 64
Red_b 31 49
Green_r 100 100
Green_g 52 53
Green_b 4 47
Blue_r 0 32
Blue_g 26 33
Blue_b 62 45
Yellow_r 56 81
Yellow_g 65 63
Yellow_b 0 0
Cyan_r 0 0
Cyan_g 71 69
Cyan_b 100 28
Magenta_r 70 28
Magenta_g 0 0
Magenta_b 100 89
White Balance
r-offset 31 27
g-offset 30 28
b-offset 30 26
r-gain 0 23
g-gain 4 29
b-gain 8 28
10-point
r1 10 8
g1 8 6
b1 10 10
r2 6 8
g2 7 7
b2 8 8
r3 4 6
g3 5 5
b3 4 5
r4 1 1
g4 2 1
b4 0 2
r5 0 2
g5 2 3
b5 -2 -1
r6 -3 -1
g6 0 0
b6 -5 0
r7 0 0
g7 3 0
b7 1 0
r8 -3 -2
g8 0 -1
b8 1 -1
r9 -3 0
g9 0 0
b9 -3 1
r10 -1 0
g10 0 0
b10 2 -1

I still have issues below 30 as you can see, but I think its much better, than what I had. I still want to fix 2 things:
1. WB below 30
2. Green and Cyan (cyan is way off and can not be adjusted, much at all).

but will have to wait for more suggestions, in order to fix these to issue, which should be below the ability of people to see, but annoy me all teh same

Thanks,
ERIC
LL

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #1009 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 172
ERIC,

1) I'm really having trouble understanding your explanations ("... 1-10, then 10-1 and finally from 5-10".) I think that you are saying that you are ganging the 10 point values. If so, that is an acceptable method for adjusting gamma. But you have not presented a point gamma curve. One would be helpful to us.

2) Again, do you have the HDMI Black Level set to Normal? It is not shown in your table.


Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1010 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll have to get the curve, hum, did not capture that, this time. Also as for "HDMI Black Level", you mean on the TV this is a D7000, thought that was only on the D8000 series.

ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #1011 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post

I'll have to get the curve, hum, did not capture that, this time. Also as for "HDMI Black Level", you mean on the TV this is a D7000, thought that was only on the D8000 series.

ERIC


Under "Picture Options." It may be grayed out on Normal. But not knowing your full setup, it may be active and set to Low. That will cause all sorts of calibration problems.

It may account for you having to use such large low range 10 point values. Increasing them acts like increasing the Brightness control and also reduces the gamma in that range. That's why seeing your gamma will help us understand what is going on.


Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1012 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found it, and yes it is grayed out and set to normal.

Also here is the Gamma curve I'm using.
LL

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #1013 of 3305 Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Newbie
 
chexsmantv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

So I've been reading this forum for a while and this is my first post . I bought my 64D7000 about 2 months ago and after reading these posts, I decided to give self calibration a try. I bought an eye one display 2 and used DVE HD Basics, AVS HD 709, and ColorHCFR. I've gone through the calibration a couple of times (along with countless hours) and have attached the results of my latest go. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding a couple of questions or concerns I have.

1. I initially noticed that my numbers were way off from what everyone else was posting. Once I turned off the Deep Color Output (HDMI) setting on my PS3, my numbers were looking more comparable to what I was seeing posted. My Question, can any other setting mess with my calibration? I currently have the following on my PS3;

Deep Color Output (HDMI) -off
Super White- On
RGB Full Range- Limited

2. What is the right way to tackle CMS? I used 100% Color (is that the same as 100% window?)and pretty much just moved the Red Green and Blue until I matched them up as close as possible with the REC 709 Standards (I.e. R 0.6400 0.3300 0.2126 ) . I know I've read that I should use 75% Windows. Will using 100% completely mess up my calibration or should I use 75%? If I do use 75% color, do the values I am trying to match change (I.e. R 0.6400, 0.3300, 0.2126) ?

3. When watching T.V., will my settings be thrown off if I set HDMI Black Level to Low? Or should I just keep it on normal? It just seems to me that low looks better to me.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get the best picture possible from my T.V.

Here are my settings;

Cell Light 17
Contrast 95
Brightness 53
Sharpness 10
Color 50
Tint 50/50

Screen Adjustment: Screen Fit
Warm 2

Gamma: 1

Color Space:

Red:49, 32, 34
Green: 80, 53, 0
Blue: 0, 0, 50
Yellow: 55, 58, 0
Cyan: 100, 60, 59
Magenta: 50, 0, 50

WB: Off 29, 24, 24
Gain 22, 26, 27

10 pt:
1: 0, 0, 1
2: 0, 0, 0
3: 0, 0, 0
4:1, 1, 2
5: 1, 1, 2
6: 0, 0, 0
7: -1, -1, -1
8:0, 0, 0
9: -3, -3, -3
10: 0, 0, 0

All other stuff off
LL
LL
LL
chexsmantv is offline  
post #1014 of 3305 Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexsmantv View Post

Hi Guys,

So I've been reading this forum for a while and this is my first post . I bought my 64D7000 about 2 months ago and after reading these posts, I decided to give self calibration a try. I bought an eye one display 2 and used DVE HD Basics, AVS HD 709, and ColorHCFR. I've gone through the calibration a couple of times (along with countless hours) and have attached the results of my latest go. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding a couple of questions or concerns I have.

Results look very good

Quote:


1. I initially noticed that my numbers were way off from what everyone else was posting. Once I turned off the Deep Color Output (HDMI) setting on my PS3, my numbers were looking more comparable to what I was seeing posted. My Question, can any other setting mess with my calibration? I currently have the following on my PS3;

Deep Color Output (HDMI) -off
Super White- On
RGB Full Range- Limited

I prefer setting the PS3 to YCbCr output with superwhite ON as mentioned a few posts earlier. As you have already found out Deep color has the largest effect on calibration and should be left OFF. The other one is HDMI level which should be set to Normal automatically in YCbCr. If you get it backwards when using RGB your gamma curve will be too high at the low end (crushed blacks)

Quote:


2. What is the right way to tackle CMS? I used 100% Color (is that the same as 100% window?)and pretty much just moved the Red Green and Blue until I matched them up as close as possible with the REC 709 Standards (I.e. R 0.6400 0.3300 0.2126 ) . I know I've read that I should use 75% Windows. Will using 100% completely mess up my calibration or should I use 75%? If I do use 75% color, do the values I am trying to match change (I.e. R 0.6400, 0.3300, 0.2126) ?

75% windowed patterns are better to avoid any APL (average picture level) problems. I prefer to use the constant APL patterns for both greyscale and color calibration. Procedure is the same for the 75% windows, align x and y but also make sure your deltaL values are close to 0. This is the last row in the HCFR color measurements window.

Quote:


3. When watching T.V., will my settings be thrown off if I set HDMI Black Level to Low? Or should I just keep it on normal? It just seems to me that low looks better to me.

Normal is normal. With the sources I use (PS3, AppleTV, and motorola cable box) all outputting YCbCr, the proper HDMI level is normal. If you set it to low and it should be on normal you will crush blacks.
zoyd is online now  
post #1015 of 3305 Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexsmantv View Post

[snip]

3. When watching T.V., will my settings be thrown off if I set HDMI Black Level to Low? Or should I just keep it on normal? It just seems to me that low looks better to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

[snip]

Normal is normal. With the sources I use (PS3, AppleTV, and motorola cable box) all outputting YCbCr, the proper HDMI level is normal. If you set it to low and it should be on normal you will crush blacks.


Unless you have a Directv HR24-500 which for some reason outputs an improper HDMI black level and requires a significant reduction in the Brightness control value -- or with less accurate results, setting the Samsung HDMI Black Level to Low.


Nice first calibration attempt, chexsmantv.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1016 of 3305 Old 09-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Member
 
glimerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[quote=DonDiegoBRA;20797264]Hi guys, anybody knows if Samsung Plasma D8000 can read .m2ts files in usb port ?

yep mine plays em fine
glimerman is offline  
post #1017 of 3305 Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Ok am confused about hdmi black level. When watching blu rays is grayed out to normal. But on direct tv it goes to low.

In xbox it goes to low.

What is the proper way to use it for xbox, direct tv, and blu ray
NJPapi1977 is offline  
post #1018 of 3305 Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Newbie
 
chexsmantv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Zoyd, I'm going to try the 75% windows. Just so I'm clear, would 75% color be considered a 75% windowed pattern? it may be a dumb question, but I don't want to spend a couple of more hours calibrating the wrong way and irritate my wife even more than I have to. I've been monopolizing the T.V lately, she's getting tired of seeing all the patterns.

Larry, I do have Directv's HR24-500. If that's the case maybe that's why I think HDMI Black Level set to Low looks better.

I appreciate the feedback. I've learned a lot on this post.
chexsmantv is offline  
post #1019 of 3305 Old 09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Malacandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bumping my post at #1000… am I the only one getting bad contrast in 3D on the SmartHub apps?
Malacandra is offline  
post #1020 of 3305 Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
elmalloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexsmantv View Post

Thanks Zoyd, I'm going to try the 75% windows. Just so I'm clear, would 75% color be considered a 75% windowed pattern? it may be a dumb question, but I don't want to spend a couple of more hours calibrating the wrong way and irritate my wife even more than I have to. I've been monopolizing the T.V lately, she's getting tired of seeing all the patterns.

Larry, I do have Directv's HR24-500. If that's the case maybe that's why I think HDMI Black Level set to Low looks better.

I appreciate the feedback. I've learned a lot on this post.

Thanks for supplying AVS with such great technical information in your first post.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
elmalloc is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off