AVS Forum banner
763K views 3K replies 431 participants last post by  kv1vega 
#1 ·
Rather than have people post calibration settings in the general owner's thread where they'll get buried, I figured I'd start a new thread specifically for calibration settings. I figure it makes sense to have people post their settings for both the D7000 & D8000 models since they essentially use the same panel. If anyone tries any of the settings that are posted here, please report back. It will be interesting to see how well the settings transfer between individual sets and sizes.

My PN64D8000 was calibrated by Gregg Loewen from Lion AV. He did a great job and kept me informed about what he was doing every step of the way. The gray-scale and colors ended up spot on.

Here are the settings that I ended up with after the calibration. I've also attached the before and after charts for reference.

Edit: I replaced my settings with the latest collaborative table that shows my settings along with settings from zoyd, cue03, and LarryInRI

TiVoHDzoydcue03LarryInRI
64D800051D800064D800064D7000
ModeMovieMovieMovieMovie
Peak White30ftL27.8ftL
Cell Light20152015
Contrast96809580
Brightness54545366
Sharpness0050
Color50505044
Tint50/5050/5050/5048/52
Black Toneoffoffoff
Dynamicoffoffoff
gamma-1-1-10
RGB Onlyoff
Flesh Tone000
Edge Enhanceoffoffoff
Motion Lightoffoffoff
xvYccoffoffoff
Color Tonewarm2warm2warm2
Digital Noiseoffoffoff
mpeg Noiseoffoffoff
Color Space
Red_r48394336
Red_g66650
Red_b65550
Green_r20201460
Green_g54505050
Green_b36120
Blue_r31340
Blue_g33020
Blue_b50414750
Yellow_r53514850
Yellow_g53515050
Yellow_b6752
Cyan_r17181520
Cyan_g52484946
Cyan_b52485146
Magenta_r47414440
Magenta_g8663
Magenta_b57484847
White Balance
r-offset26222528
g-offset25262522
b-offset22252522
r-gain13302528
g-gain25252524
b-gain29273024
10-point
r10-110
g10-100
b10011
r202-40
g201-30
b202-40
r31010
g30010
b30-200
r40100
g40010
b40-11-1
r5002-1
g51120
b52-331
r6-201-1
g60010
b60121
r71100
g72100
b72200
r8-2-1-10
g800-10
b801-10
r90-100
g92-100
b9-21-10
r100110
g102000
b10-23-30

See less See more
#1,104 ·
Firstly... thanks to all the experts here for their invaluable advice!!

I recently received a PN51D8000 and would like the 'experts' advice (zoyd if he has the time!) on using the X-Rite i1Display Pro for the plasma TV calibration as well as profiling my LCD monitors for photographic applications. I'm on a budget and the $1000+ equipment you guys use is outta my league!
And thanks to zoyd and others for the tables of settings... so far they work great on my 51".

w_w_w .xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1454

Thanks,

Marty

#1,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/20972264

The latest update for the D7000 must be installed via USB. You can get it here (on the internet
): http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...PN64D7000FFXZA

The problem with direct downloads to the TV lies with Samsung.

Larry

I noticed the Samsung page shows downloads for the D7000 64 inch model but not the 59 inch unless I'm missing something. Does anyone know if there are any firmware updates for the 59D7000 model?

I've been checking firmward updates via the wifi connection. I didn't know that some of the updates can only be installed via USB. Are the updates usually available later via wifi or do I have to use the USB, just so I know for the future.

Thanks.

#1,106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary50 /forum/post/20975627

I noticed the Samsung page shows downloads for the D7000 64 inch model but not the 59 inch unless I'm missing something. Does anyone know if there are any firmware updates for the 59D7000 model?

I've been checking firmward updates via the wifi connection. I didn't know that some of the updates can only be installed via USB. Are the updates usually available later via wifi or do I have to use the USB, just so I know for the future.

Thanks.

All the models and screen sizes are listed. The new firmware, however, is the same for all D7000s regardless of size. But here is the page for the 59D7000: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...PN59D7000FFXZA

It only takes a few seconds to scroll through the list to find your model/size.

Larry

#1,109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/20976461

All the models and screen sizes are listed. The new firmware, however, is the same for all D7000s regardless of size. But here is the page for the 59D7000: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...PN59D7000FFXZA

It only takes a few seconds to scroll through the list to find your model/size.

Larry

Thank you, Larry. For some reason I couldn't find it on the drop down menu on the page that shows the different models. I guess I was looking in the wrong place.

#1,110 ·
Because of filter peeling, I had the panel on my 64D700 replaced about a month ago. (BTW, the new panel comes on its own chassis/frame and included all the scan boards. The only board that was taken from my old panel and used on the new one was the logic board.)

I waited until the new unit reached more than 150 hours of use before running a test of how the original calibration settings functioned on it. Long story short -- not very well at all.

I'll use the grayscale tracking as an example.

The original panel as it came from the factory:

The original panel after calibratiion (the day before replacement):

The new panel using the settings from the original panel's calibration:

The new panel after calibration:

Larry

#1,113 ·
You might try this combination:

* With the TV in standby, press the {INFO} {MENU} {MUTE} {POWER} buttons on the remote.

* The TV will turn On with the Service Menu displayed.

* Press the {POWER} button to exit the Service Menu.

it gave me access to the service menu, but the "expert" i dimmed out and i can't access Cal D/N =(

How do i enable "expert"

#1,114 ·
Last night I was watching HBO HD through my Directv receiver (HR20) on my new PN59D7000, and I noticed the picture wasn't filling up the entire screen. At the top of the screen there were 5 or 6 horizontal lines that weren't lit up. I have the TV set to Screen Fit, so I tried moving the position of the picture up. However, this just produces blank lines on the bottom of the screen. It's making me nervous because it could cause uneven wear / IR / burn-in.

I can resolve this by setting the TV's screen size setting to 16x9 instead of Screen Fit, but that introduces significant overscan (seems to be about 4%).

I have the Directv box set to Native format, and all resolutions are enabled.

I'm pretty sure the issue is not with the TV (probably an issue with my settings). Other channels fill up the screen to varying degrees. Some 1080i channels fill up the screen completely, while some have 1 - 6 blank lines on top or bottom. All the 720p channels I tried filled up the screen. The Directv Guide fills up the screen. My PS3 fills up the screen.

I also have an HR22 in another room connected to an LCD -- it's showing the same behavior when the TV is set to Screen Fit.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Is there a way to avoid the blank lines without using the 16x9 screen size?

#1,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontomosicz /forum/post/20990520

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Is there a way to avoid the blank lines without using the 16x9 screen size?

Infrequently, but it does happen to me as well. Every so often I get a channel, or a commercial (mostly the case) that reveals a part of the image that isn't meant to be seen. It's not a problem for me because of its rarity, and certainly not worth changing to 16x9 mode from Screen Fit.

However, if it happens frequently to you, a switch in setting might be the way to go, as far as watching DirecTV is concerned.

My settings are identical to yours, although I have the HR21 receiver from DirecTV.

#1,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozong /forum/post/0

You might try this combination:

* With the TV in standby, press the {INFO} {MENU} {MUTE} {POWER} buttons on the remote.

* The TV will turn On with the Service Menu displayed.

* Press the {POWER} button to exit the Service Menu.

it gave me access to the service menu, but the "expert" i dimmed out and i can't access Cal D/N =(

How do i enable "expert"

The expert tab is enabled by default on NA displays and from the key sequence you used you must have a European display. Why it's grayed out I don't know, have you tried entering 0000 with it highlighted?

#1,118 ·
I Just had my d8000 done by chad B today it looks great
just rewatch the dark knight and Transformers i have seen both movies alot but never have i seen these movies look so good till i got chad to do my set and he did one heck of a job thanks chad.I guess i will post my settings if anyone wants them.

Eric Samsung PN-D8000.pdf 267.0966796875k . file

Attachments

#1,119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/20991384

The expert tab is enabled by default on NA displays and from the key sequence you used you must have a European display. Why it's grayed out I don't know, have you tried entering 0000 with it highlighted?

You are right i have the European version.

0000 will not work since i cannot get the focus on expert it is dimmed out =(

Anny suggestions are welcome =)

#1,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 /forum/post/20991608

just rewatch the dark knight and Transformers i have seen both movies alot but never have i seen these movies look so good till i got chad to do my set and he did one heck of a job thanks chad.I guess i will post my settings if anyone wants them.

I see that he wants you to set screen adj. to 16:9 when watching directv, did he say why?

#1,121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/20991384

have you tried entering 0000 with it highlighted?

As he said, the Expert menu can't be highlighted. 00000 doesn't really help to unlock the Advanced menu either (Picture_2D and Picture_3D appear grayed out like the Expert). Hitting Factory (and 3Speed to stop the color slide-show) key (factory remote or advanced network remote software) unlocks many additional controls and new sub-menus but Expert and Picture_2D is still locked.

I don't really understand this. Even the basic service menu has some "problematic" options: you can either brick the main-board or unlock some disabled features (like advanced calibration for the D550). On the other hand, the extra options which appear when you hit Factory and 3Speed aren't that interesting: they are basically useless for the user and most of them is harmless (you can't really brick your TV with those). And the most interesting sub-menus (which could be used to disable some of the "behind your back" features and improve the picture quality according to the user's taste) are hard-locked.

So you can easily brick the TV or unlock some extra features with a normal remote and limited knowledge but you can't really do more even with a factory remote and more knowledge.

I wonder if there is a way to alter these settings through a hacked debug mode serial port or these shiny features (like the floating tonal response) are hard-coded without modifiable parameters.

----------

If we talk about Samsung sevice...

I had my main-board replaced yesterday. The technician entered into the service menu with my own remote (menu,mute,info,power sequence) to check the basic settings.

The base WP settings were at their default values (everything at 128), just as I expected (when I bought my TV, these settings were calibrated for whatever target but I undid this calibration because 8x128 suited the Movie mode WB better).

However, the Movie mode WP settings (hard-locked) are exactly the same! So it seems those are not only locked but match on every boards. And the all-128 base and default movie mode WP settings cause relatively good WP on my panel (~2000 hours ; better than the factory state was with the "somehow calibrated" base WP settings...).

Side-note:

I funnily asked the technician guy if he want to calibrate those WP settings for me with a fancy Konica Minolta spectrometer, as the service manual instructs the reader. (I dared to ask because I know the guy. To be honest, this is why I let him to replace my main-board even though I knew it won't solve the "brightness pops" problem: Samsung pays him well to do this and I also send a message to Samsung about the problem in the shape of a castoff main-boarad which is otherwise "perfect"... better message than a Like on a Facebook page, I guess...
)

He admitted that he never read the service manual of this particular TV and he read the word "spectrometer" somewhere and he knows it's some kind of a color sensor but he never saw one in his life.

After this, I felt it inappropriate to ask if he knows a way to access the Expert and/or Advanced menu and tweak this APL based TRC scaling.

I also know a girl who worked in the Hungarian Samsung factory and she worked with the main boards of these PDPs but she doesn't know the answers for these questions either. (I guess I need to find a programmer, not a microelectronic engineer but it was a coincidence that we met.
Well, not that much of a coincidence, the factory is located about 20 kilometers away from my home.)

#1,123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 /forum/post/20992910

I see that he wants you to set screen adj. to 16:9 when watching directv, did he say why?

I been having it at 16:9 since it didn't fill the screen but the overscan doesn't bother me all that much.now my htpc is where all my movie watching comes from streaming netflix etc.... but i also use screen fit for the htpc and ps3.

#1,124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 /forum/post/20995622

I been having it at 16:9 since it didn't fill the screen but the overscan doesn't bother me all that much.now my htpc is where all my movie watching comes from streaming netflix etc.... but i also use screen fit for the htpc and ps3.

Guys have a samsung pn63b590 questionfor you alll. have owned this st for2 yeas now no poblemsuntil today. 5 vertical lines showed up...like strips. otherwie pictue is pefect. i suspect a video board issue. doesanyone have any idea what this could be and what it will take to fix it.

#1,125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miannone /forum/post/20946267

I have been very happy with my 64d8000 and very excited to watch this new NFL season on it. Man have I been disappointed. The broadcasts on NBC have been almost unwatchable. It is ok until there is any fast action or if they show any kind of stats or graphics. Alot of blur and what I guess is referred to as digital noise. I am using zoyds settings and dont think this has anything to do with what I am seeing. In choosing this set I never would have imagined having a motion problem while watching sports. I bought it for watching sports as well as watching blu ray movies. I just cant believe this is what I am stuck with for all the money I spent. If any one can help or explain this to me I would appreciate it. The only culprit I could think of is my comcast digital box. I really hope this issue does not lie with the tv itself.

NBC is well known to suck on fast moving video..it's not the set. If your set looks good on Blu-ray discs showing fast motion (which I bet it does) your problem lies with the broadcaster. This stuff is compressed heavily, and on a large screen it is more noticeable. Complain to NBC.

#1,126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 /forum/post/0

I'm interested to know if you used any of the calibration settings listed on page 1 before your calibration. If so, did you notice a dramatic improvement?

#1,127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane /forum/post/20991232

Infrequently, but it does happen to me as well. Every so often I get a channel, or a commercial (mostly the case) that reveals a part of the image that isn't meant to be seen. It's not a problem for me because of its rarity, and certainly not worth changing to 16x9 mode from Screen Fit.

However, if it happens frequently to you, a switch in setting might be the way to go, as far as watching DirecTV is concerned.

My settings are identical to yours, although I have the HR21 receiver from DirecTV.

Thanks for the reply...I'm going to keep the TV in 16x9 mode for Directv viewing for now at least. I see this sort of underscan on too many channels; although HBO HD is definitely the worst.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more complaints about this. I've even seen a few posts that recommend using HBO HD as a channel for breaking in your TV, since it doesn't have a static logo. Those posters must not be using Directv.

#1,128 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 /forum/post/20991608

What color temp? Warm 2?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.