Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Gang - Just wanted to chime in with my $0.02. I'm using a D8000, and I've plugged in all three sets of the calibration numbers posted by Joe, above, along with the 'averages' (just for good measure.) Without question, Cue's settings provide the best picture for me. I'm not using any equipment to verify the accuracy of the settings on my display, but I did work in film for a very long time and so am *very* well acquainted with the way that a few of the films in my collection are 'supposed' to look. For these titles, Cue's settings were 'spot on' every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
+1 on Cue's settings for my 64D8000...looks amazing!! Zoyd's settings remind me of THX mode on my 58VT25. Tivo's (? sorry if not right) settings didn't set well with my TV.

I am using the averages on my 51D7000 and looks fantastic!!

Thank you all for posting your settings.
post #123 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaddyecw View Post

Hdmi connected to the cable box, I was watching monsters vs aliens and for the most part it looked good but on certain scenes it looks choppy

Also did you check what your cable box's display signal is outputting? I mean like native pass-through, 1080p, 1080i, or 720p? Making sure it's the best possible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post

My D7000 comes in Friday. Would I be ok using these settings and just dropping the contrast a little bit during the break in?? I wanted to watch Tron Legacy in 3D this weekend, could I turn up the contrast a bit just to watch the movie (even if it has black bars?). I dont plan on doing anything like black bars for more than 2 hours, or should I completely hold off?

Yeah fyi the 3D version of Tron Legacy has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so it does have black bars on top and bottom...may want to hold off till you get 100+ hours in, even then you'll probably get some slight IR...It should disappear pretty quick though
post #124 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

There are a lot of different opinions. I say go ahead and use the TV the way you want from day one. Most experts agree that break-in isn't necessary for modern plasmas. The exception would be if your trying to rack up hours on the panel to get the phosphors stabilized before paying for a professional calibration. That's my 2 cents.

+1
There may be a lot of opinions, but this is the reality.
post #125 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

Also did you check what your cable box's display signal is outputting? I mean like native pass-through, 1080p, 1080i, or 720p? Making sure it's the best possible..

How would i check that. I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to avs stuff. please keep that in mind
post #126 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaddyecw View Post

How would i check that. I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to avs stuff. please keep that in mind

Depends on the Cable Box, the easiest way is just checking the cable box's menu, that's where Fios has it, under Video Settings or something...Sometimes it's lit up on the front of the cable-box...Google you're cable box model number to get the manual, and search it for "1080" or something to try and find instructions on how to check/change it

Actually, it might also be as easy as pressing info on your D7000/D8000 remote, should the resolution in the top left, and the mode its in...(mine's says 1920x1080i, Verizon's finally gonna update to transfer signals via native pass-through/1080p this month!)
post #127 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

Depends on the Cable Box, the easiest way is just checking the cable box's menu, that's where Fios has it, under Video Settings or something...Sometimes it's lit up on the front of the cable-box...Google you're cable box model number to get the manual, and search it for "1080" or something to try and find instructions on how to check/change it

Actually, it might also be as easy as pressing info on your D7000/D8000 remote, should the resolution in the top left, and the mode its in...(mine's says 1920x1080i, Verizon's finally gonna update to transfer signals via native pass-through/1080p this month!)

Thanks A lot, I'll try it when i get home
post #128 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Cue, according to your calibration report you are getting about 43fL with cell=20/contrast=95. This is a little too bright for me in a pitch black environment. Do you know what I would set the contrast at to get closer to 30-35fL?
post #129 of 3305 Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 146
StinDaWg,

Zoyd's settings on the first page yield a peak luminance of about 28 ftL

Larry
post #130 of 3305 Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That is what I noticed. Cue's is brighter and works well in my living room. If I had a dedicated room I would use Zoyd's. Just what I observed. For some reason TivoHD's made mine look funky.

In other words I think Cue's could be day viewing and Zoyd's would be night viewing. Again, this is what works on my TV.

Thanks again guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

StinDaWg,

Zoyd's settings on the first page yield a peak luminance of about 28 ftL

Larry

post #131 of 3305 Old 05-12-2011, 09:45 AM

I tried to set both Zoyd's and the average settings on my PN51D8000. I feel that the average ones produce a little more balanced picture, but I think that might be because I watched it with some dim lighting in the room. I also found that most settings were just a little too dark for my liking, and that too much shadow detail has been clipped off (even when I tried to watch the screen in complete darkness). Setting the brightness to 55 seems to be the sweetspot for shadow detail, and also looks better in the "Expert pattern #1" from the advanced settings, as the second gray box from the top left of the screen is still visible with 55, but not 54.
I think I'll try setting up one set of values for day viewing and one for night viewing. Does anyone know how to unlock the Cal-Day and Cal-Night presets? I tried to access it from the service menu, but I got lost, and I thought I shouldn't mess with what I don't know.
post #132 of 3305 Old 05-12-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBit View Post

Does anyone know how to unlock the Cal-Day and Cal-Night presets? I tried to access it from the service menu, but I got lost, and I thought I shouldn't mess with what I don't know.

I don't think you can on a D8000.
post #133 of 3305 Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 AM

Can anyone recommend on a good setting for 3D?
I just got today the 3D glasses, I didn't get any at first with the TV.
I went for 2 pairs of the SSG-3700CR.
I tried to get a good picture setting myself, but the colors look a little off.
I'm not sure why, but setting the sharpness a higher (I had it at 5 for 2D) to about 40, seems to actually make a positive difference.
post #134 of 3305 Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was using Cue's for a bit, but I was getting a greenish tint on faces, I'm back to Tivo's. I think I'm going to have my set calibrated on my own. I know we all have the same sets, but were not talking about High-End American made audio products that are built and tested by hand(If you can even find that anymore). So I'm sure to a degree not only are the environments different, but each individual set is to a degree. If your lucky you got one built on a wednesday and its buzz free. LOL
post #135 of 3305 Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post

I was using Cue's for a bit, but I was getting a greenish tint on faces, I'm back to Tivo's. I think I'm going to have my set calibrated on my own. I know we all have the same sets, but were not talking about High-End American made audio products that are built and tested by hand(If you can even find that anymore). So I'm sure to a degree not only are the environments different, but each individual set is to a degree. If your lucky you got one built on a wednesday and its buzz free. LOL

Yeah, each set is a little bit different which is why using other people's calibrated settings may not be perfect one every set. If you do end up getting your set calibrated, be sure to post your settings here so we can compare.
post #136 of 3305 Old 05-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, each set is a little bit different which is why using other people's calibrated settings may not be perfect one every set. If you do end up getting your set calibrated, be sure to post your settings here so we can compare.

I will. I have an appointment for the 5th.

Joe
post #137 of 3305 Old 05-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is it possible to modify settings for "Movie" mode, and then assign different settings to "Standard" mode on the same input? I'd like to be able to quickly toggle between a few sets of settings posted on here to see the difference.
post #138 of 3305 Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

Is it possible to modify settings for "Movie" mode, and then assign different settings to "Standard" mode on the same input? I'd like to be able to quickly toggle between a few sets of settings posted on here to see the difference.

Yes, you can do that.
post #139 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:

Yes, you can do that.

I don't think it's possible to set two different custom color spaces. I wasn't able to. When you switch to a different mode, the default color space will probably be native or auto, but if you set it to custom, you'll have the same settings as you have on the other mode.
post #140 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBit View Post

I don't think it's possible to set two different custom color spaces. I wasn't able to. When you switch to a different mode, the default color space will probably be native or auto, but if you set it to custom, you'll have the same settings as you have on the other mode.

Hmm. I guess it wouldn't work very well to switch between full settings then. Oh well.
post #141 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The settings suggested in this thread look pretty good for TV, but they look terrible playing blu rays on my HTPC. Switching to the default Standard settings with cell light turned up actually looks quite a bit better. It occurred to me that maybe this is due to output being different from the HTPC? Anybody have experience controlling that on a Win7 HTPC?

Actually can you change color settings on your cable box or dvd player too? How does a calibrator control for all of that when calibrating the TV?

For those who posted their settings, what was the source that was calibrated, and did that source have any ouput settings of its own that might make your settings look different for others?
post #142 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 AM

Liked: 12
Does anybody else think these settings give a very strong yellowish tint? I'm just comparing things to my MacBook Pro's screen and my iMac's screen and everything is definitely more yellow on screen. I have a 51D7000.
post #143 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For those who posted their settings, what was the source that was calibrated, and did that source have any ouput settings of its own that might make your settings look different for others?
Most calibrators use a signal generator as the source for the initial calibration. Tweaks for the individual sources can be made after if necessary.
post #144 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post
Does anybody else think these settings give a very strong yellowish tint? I'm just comparing things to my MacBook Pro's screen and my iMac's screen and everything is definitely more yellow on screen. I have a 51D7000.
The colors are dead-on for my set, but every TV is a little different. There have been reports that the 51" panel is actually quite a bit different than the 59" and 64". I don't think any of the posted settings here were from a 51.
post #145 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

What setting are you guys using for watching TV? The movie mode seemed OK for blu-ray, but for TV the colors look pale and the contrast looks lighter. Standard looks better, but I am not happy with the skin tones. Too orangey/yellowish.
post #146 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

What setting are you guys using for watching TV? The movie mode seemed OK for blu-ray, but for TV the colors look pale and the contrast looks lighter. Standard looks better, but I am not happy with the skin tones. Too orangey/yellowish.

Are you just using Movie mode without doing any changes to the settings???

If so then your picture would look pale. I think most of us are Using Movie mode, and then calibrating the settings with one of the 3 that were posted on here.
post #147 of 3305 Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

Are you just using Movie mode without doing any changes to the settings???

If so then your picture would look pale. I think most of us are Using Movie mode, and then calibrating the settings with one of the 3 that were posted on here.

Yeah, I will give those a shot. I was just using the default movie mode, but turning all the junk options off, sharpness to low value and warm1 color.
post #148 of 3305 Old 05-15-2011, 05:42 AM

I've been using Tivo's settings for about a week now and think they look superb. I haven't tried the others though. What I liked about the approach used with Tivo's set is the minimal use of the 10p white level part so I get the feeling that those settings should work quite well with 3D. However, I don't think Tivo's settings result in as bright a picture for 3D. I certainly noticed that How To Train Your Dragon looked darker compared to Despicable Me and Legend of the Guardians both of which I viewed with pretty much stock settings. However, I also watched both of those on my PS3 vs HTTYD which was on my Mac Mini via Plex.

Quote:

The settings suggested in this thread look pretty good for TV, but they look terrible playing blu rays on my HTPC. Switching to the default Standard settings with cell light turned up actually looks quite a bit better. It occurred to me that maybe this is due to output being different from the HTPC? Anybody have experience controlling that on a Win7 HTPC?

Actually can you change color settings on your cable box or dvd player too? How does a calibrator control for all of that when calibrating the TV?

What are you using as an HTPC? I've hear some people say they had to change the black setting I think for their HTPCs - in particular Apple computers.
post #149 of 3305 Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Just recieved my samsung PN59D8000 on the picture cal my 10 point is gray out. Why?
post #150 of 3305 Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgrimes1 View Post

Just recieved my samsung PN59D8000 on the picture cal my 10 point is gray out. Why?

I think it's only available if you change it to Movie mode and it doesn't appear for any 3D.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread - Pn51d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page