Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 3305 Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Member
 
britbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

yes, instructions are the same and each mode has independent dynamic contrast and black tone settings but I'm not sure about noise reduction.

Sweet! Thanks again. I've always said that the best invention ever has to be the car GPS. Don't know how people got around before that...but AVSforum is closing the gap for the same reasons! You guys rock!
britbill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 3305 Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
WRT the CAL modes: If, in the Expert mode, you set Source to All, you will not be able to change the settings for different input sources. Make sure Source is not set to All.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1533 of 3305 Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Member
 
britbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

WRT the CAL modes: If, in the Expert mode, you set Source to All, you will not be able to change the settings for different input sources. Make sure Source is not set to All.

Larry

Thanks Larry,

Just to clarify. I only have one HDMI connected to the TV (HDMI2 ARC). When you say Input sources are you talking about different sources connected to the one input or different inputs on the TV?
britbill is offline  
post #1534 of 3305 Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyte84 View Post

First post, I've been observing silently for years...


I want to add the Movie Day and Movie Night setting to my Samsung PN51D7000. Is there way to enable the Day/Night option without performing a factory reset?
Additionally, if I perform the factory setting, can I avoid 'bricking' my tv by not touching any of the other settings?

Thanks!


Activating the CAL Day and Night modes will reset all (most?) or your current user settings so make a note of them before hand. This happens whenever you enter and exit the service menu. It does not perform a factory reset.

If you don't go exploring in the service menu, you will not cause any problems. However, unlike say the Panasonics you can do real harm while in the Samsung service menu.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1535 of 3305 Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill View Post

Thanks Larry,

Just to clarify. I only have one HDMI connected to the TV (HDMI2 ARC). When you say Input sources are you talking about different sources connected to the one input or different inputs on the TV?

On the TV.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1536 of 3305 Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Member
 
britbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

So I activated Cal day/night and am having a slight problem. I punched in different color space & white balance numbers for each. They do not seem to be independent though as whichever ones I punch in last carry over to all 3 modes (movie, day, night). Even noise reduction are carrying over to all 3. The only things that are independent seem to be the general settings (Cell light/contrast/brightness etc).

What am I doing wrong here?
britbill is offline  
post #1537 of 3305 Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Member
 
britbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill View Post

Hey guys,

So I activated Cal day/night and am having a slight problem. I punched in different color space & white balance numbers for each. They do not seem to be independent though as whichever ones I punch in last carry over to all 3 modes (movie, day, night). Even noise reduction are carrying over to all 3. The only things that are independent seem to be the general settings (Cell light/contrast/brightness etc).

What am I doing wrong here?

Nevermind. I found the answer on this thread. These settings are shared. I've plugged in Tivos settings into Cal-Day for daytime TV use and adjust Cal-NIght and MOvie accordingly for PS3 gaming & BDs.
britbill is offline  
post #1538 of 3305 Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Senior Member
 
NovaKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill View Post

Nevermind. I found the answer on this thread. These settings are shared. I've plugged in Tivos settings into Cal-Day for daytime TV use and adjust Cal-NIght and MOvie accordingly for PS3 gaming & BDs.

Would love it if they didn't share certain parameters and each could be programmed independently. Then I could more easily see the differences between let's say, Default, Zoyd, and Cnet's settings. It's hard to remember the look of each particular calibration setting (although I know Cnet's colors were oversaturated for my 8000) when making comparisons.

Oh well. I'm really happy with Zoyd's, so it's basically a non-issue.
NovaKane is offline  
post #1539 of 3305 Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Member
 
CapeCodKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Larry, I've keyed in your 10/19 settings as well for my 51D7000 and like mbyte I had the same question on the "adjustment to the brightness control setting will be needed" if the contrast is set to 95.

Based on the first image you presented earlier to mbyte, I noticed that the brightness level still remained at 61 with a contrast of 95.

Is there an adjustment to brightness?
CapeCodKid is offline  
post #1540 of 3305 Old 11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Member
 
gp56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Levittown,NY,USA
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently picked up a 64D8000. I put in Cue's settings into movie mode and really liked the picture. This weekend I activated the Cal-Day and Cal-Night feature. Are there any differences between these two modes, or are they just 2 additional modes, regardless if it is called day or night? Will entering Cue's or Tivo HD's settings in either Cal-Day or Night look different than if I did it in movie mode? Also would activating Cal-Day/Night affect the picture in movie mode? To me, it seems as if Cue's settings in movie mode now look darker. I confirmed that all the settings are the same as I originally entered them. Lastly, I have not tried Zoyd's settings, does it matter that his are for a 51D8000?

Thanks
gp56 is offline  
post #1541 of 3305 Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Member
 
bajanjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Way back in July I had posted my calibration as performed by Chad...the color space settings were inadvertently left at default...Chad came back and completed the job (he "tweaked" some of the original settings)-he's a good guy!:


20,95,58,5,50,50/50
white balance 25,22,25,15,25,24
10 pt wb on ﴾1:‐2,‐2,0 2:‐2,‐2,‐2 3:5,4,4 4:5,4,4 5:3,3,4 6:3,3,5 7:0,0,0 8:‐1,‐2,0 9:‐1,0,‐2 10:0,0,‐2)
Color space custom (r 45,66,50 g 100,53,0 b 40,27,55 y 45,55,100 c 100,55,68 m 53,100,60)
bajanjack is offline  
post #1542 of 3305 Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Member
 
chambery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanjack View Post

Way back in July I had posted my calibration as performed by Chad...the color space settings were inadvertently left at default...Chad came back and completed the job (he "tweaked" some of the original settings)-he's a good guy!:


20,95,58,5,50,50/50
white balance 25,22,25,15,25,24
10 pt wb on ﴾1:‐2,‐2,0 2:‐2,‐2,‐2 3:5,4,4 4:5,4,4 5:3,3,4 6:3,3,5 7:0,0,0 8:‐1,‐2,0 9:‐1,0,‐2 10:0,0,‐2)
Color space custom (r 45,66,50 g 100,53,0 b 40,27,55 y 45,55,100 c 100,55,68 m 53,100,60)

I'm assuming Movie mode and Warm2 with these settings, correct?

What about Gamma, -1?
chambery is offline  
post #1543 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Iceland
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the difference between color space "auto" or "native"? Which shold I use... I notice colors seem much more saturated, especialloy red, in "native".

Birgir "keyser"
keyser is offline  
post #1544 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 5,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

What's the difference between color space "auto" or "native"? Which shold I use... I notice colors seem much more saturated, especialloy red, in "native".

Details on the Samsung color space settings (and other advanced settings) at their support site:
http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...!1296659975846

Native: This will expand all incoming signals to the native color gamut of the TV, this can enhance colors of over saturate them.
Auto: The TV will adjust the display gamut to match the incoming signal to prevent any over saturation of colors.

So "auto" will produce the more accurate color display for a particular video source.
Joxer is offline  
post #1545 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,968
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post


So "auto" will produce the more accurate color display for a particular video source.

While this is a better choice than native, the auto setting is also oversaturated in red (and green hue is pretty far off). You might want to try one of the custom settings from the 1st or 2nd post in the thread.
zoyd is online now  
post #1546 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambery View Post

I'm assuming Movie mode and Warm2 with these settings, correct?

What about Gamma, -1?

Bananajack has a D7000 so I assume that with the 10 point values that Chad arrived at, gamma is set to 0. There is a difference between the D8000 and D7000 when it comes to the gamma setting. A setting of 0 on the D7000 yields about the same gamma value as -1 on the D8000. Settings for the two models are not interchangeable.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1547 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyte84 View Post

Sorry to bombard you Larry, but I am adjusting my settings to your TV (I also have a D7000, but a 51' instead of 64').

Regarding your comment above I assume the comment about increasing the Contrast was for a brightly lit room. If so, you mentioned having to adjust the Brightness accordingly. Can you please provide more detail (Brightness increase or decrease? To what level if Contrast is 96)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodKid View Post

Hi Larry, I've keyed in your 10/19 settings as well for my 51D7000 and like mbyte I had the same question on the "adjustment to the brightness control setting will be needed" if the contrast is set to 95.

Based on the first image you presented earlier to mbyte, I noticed that the brightness level still remained at 61 with a contrast of 95.

Is there an adjustment to brightness?


Usually I am careful about readjusting the Brightness setting after making changes to other controls. In this case, however, I was just checking to see if a Contrast setting of 95 would not affect the picture that I calibrated at a much lower value. Since the 95 setting produces a peak level that is waaaay too high for me, I may have been negligent. Normally as the Contrast is increased, the Brightness must be reduced.

But the questions about this confuse me. Setting the Brightness is the most simple adjustment to perform. All test pattern disks have a method for doing this. The free calibration disk available here on AVS has a very good one. I hope that members are not copying this basic setting without even checking and adjusting it to be perfect for the owner's specific unit.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1548 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Member
 
bajanjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambery View Post

I'm assuming Movie mode and Warm2 with these settings, correct?

What about Gamma, -1?

yes on your assumptions, and Larry is correct (as usual)-Gamma=0
bajanjack is offline  
post #1549 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
JCarls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, after all this chatter about settings on one 7000 or 8000 being pretty much useless on a different set, I decided to check out professional calibration. For whatever reason, reading through the forums in the past I thought it was like $600. Turns out Chad B is $375 which I can deal with right now. Then I flipped and decided to have him calibrate my 2-year old 58B650 instead of the new 51D7000. Mostly it was the CNET article on aging panels that says they all get significantly dimmer and "redder" over 1000 hours or so. If you haven't seen it, the advice is - if you can only do calibration once, wait a year.

There is a temptation to do the 51D7000 because the white balance options are just too much to deal with for someone with no meters or professional experience. But I can't afford to do them both now, and I figure maybe I will be able to swing the D7000 a year from now.

Anybody think this is a big mistake? I could still probably swap my order to the D7000.
JCarls is offline  
post #1550 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Sorry for typing your name incorrectly, Jack. I'm just getting over the flu and the fever scrambled my brain a bit.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1551 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Member
 
dzack02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a PS3 and PN59D7000 tv that both have the latest firmware but when I go to play Thor 3D a blue screens comes up and says in order to play this disc it requires a capable HDTV and Bluray player, which I have... I can play 3D from the sat dish like ESPN3D... confused!
dzack02 is offline  
post #1552 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Member
 
bajanjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Sorry for typing your name incorrectly, Jack. I'm just getting over the flu and the fever scrambled my brain a bit.

Larry

No problem Larry, mine seem to be scrambled quite a bit these days.
bajanjack is offline  
post #1553 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Member
 
chambery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Larry and Bajanjack
chambery is offline  
post #1554 of 3305 Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Mateo, California
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzack02 View Post

Have a PS3 and PN59D7000 tv that both have the latest firmware but when I go to play Thor 3D a blue screens comes up and says in order to play this disc it requires a capable HDTV and Bluray player, which I have... I can play 3D from the sat dish like ESPN3D... confused!

I know you asked this in the Thor 3D review thread, so I'll re-post here what I posted there, in case you get here first...

Are you running with an HDMI cable? Is it passing through a receiver at all (perhaps non-3D capable)? Maybe there's a setting on the PS3 to turn on/off 3D, I don't particularly know myself. I only ask these because I have the same two things (59D7000 and PS3), and I'm not having any problems with 3D Blu-ray discs whatsoever.

Then again, I don't own Thor 3D.
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #1555 of 3305 Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Member
 
britbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Thanks TiVoHD, it's interesting that your calibrator did the red desaturation mostly via r-gain rather than via the CMS. I'll have to try that and see if it makes any difference. Here are my latest settings for reference.

The CAL-DAY/NIGHT modes need to be enabled via the SM which became available on my display with FW ver. 1013. Custom color space is shared by these modes and I calibrated it for the CAL-D/N modes so there are some relatively small errors in color if you use these movie mode settings.

PN51D8000

Updated 6/06/11 with new movie, CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT settings. Changes from previous settings:
1. Uses fixed APL patterns instead of variable.
2. Movie mode color is dialed in if you want to use it separate from CAL modes.

Mode Movie CAL-DAY CAL-NIGHT
Average gamma (fixed APL) 2.3 2.06 2.25
Peak White 28 ftL 35 ftL 28 ftL
Cell light 20 20 20
contrast 70 76 70
brightness 54 52 54
sharpness 8 8 8
color 54 46 46
tint 53/47 50/50 50/50
black tone off off off
dynamic off off off
gamma -1 -1 -2
flesh tone 0 0 0
edge enhance off off off
motion lighting off off off
xvYcc off off off
color tone warm2 warm2 warm2
digital noise off off off
mpeg noise off off off
color space
Red_r 32 27 27
Red_g 8 3 3
Red_b 6 3 3
Green_r 19 18 18
Green_g 45 48 48
Green_b 2 2 2
Blue_r 0 0 0
Blue_g 0 0 0
Blue_b 36 48 48
Yellow_r 48 47 47
Yellow_g 47 48 48
Yellow_b 8 4 4
Cyan_r 22 19 19
Cyan_g 46 46 46
Cyan_b 44 48 48
Magenta_r 33 30 30
Magenta_g 6 3 3
Magenta_b 44 50 50
White Balance
r-off 24 26 26
g-off 25 25 25
b-off 27 25 25
r-gain 25 28 28
g-gain 25 25 25
b-gain 27 25 25
10-pt intervals
1 1,1,1 -1,0,1 -1,0,1
2 3,2,3 -1,0,1 -1,0,1
3 1,1,-1 -1,-1,-2 -1,-2,-5
4 0,0,-1 -5,-4,-4 -5,-4,-4
5 -2,-2,-4 -3,-3,-5 -3,-3,-5
6 -1,1,-1 -2,-2,-2 -2,-2,-2
7 -1,-1,1 -1,-1,2 -1,-1,2
8 0,0,2 0,0,0 0,0,0
9 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
10 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0

Updated 9/03/11 after 500 hours of use and recalibration. Most significant change in display was white balance which shifted towards Red/Blue (green decreased ~4%).

Mode Movie CAL-DAY CAL-NIGHT
Average gamma (fixed APL) 2.22 2.16 2.28
Peak White 29 ftL 36 ftL 28 ftL
Cell light 20 20 20
contrast 70 76 67
brightness 54 52 55
sharpness 8 8 8
color 54 46 46
tint 53/47 50/50 50/50
black tone off off off
dynamic off off off
gamma 0 -1 -2
flesh tone 0 0 0
edge enhance off off off
motion lighting off off off
xvYcc off off off
color tone warm2 warm2 warm2
digital noise off off off
mpeg noise off off off
color space
Red_r 36 31 31
Red_g 7 4 4
Red_b 8 4 4
Green_r 20 18 18
Green_g 44 49 49
Green_b 2 2 2
Blue_r 0 0 0
Blue_g 0 0 0
Blue_b 36 50 50
Yellow_r 51 47 47
Yellow_g 49 49 49
Yellow_b 9 5 5
Cyan_r 21 20 20
Cyan_g 48 49 49
Cyan_b 47 49 49
Magenta_r 34 30 30
Magenta_g 7 4 4
Magenta_b 45 49 49
White Balance
r-off 20 26 26
g-off 26 26 26
b-off 24 23 23
r-gain 22 20 20
g-gain 25 26 26
b-gain 21 19 19
10-pt intervals
1 1,1,1 0,0,1 0,0,1
2 3,2,4 0,0,2 0,0,2
3 1,1,0 -2,-2,-2 -2,-2,-2
4 0,0,0 -5,-4,-3 -5,-4,-3
5 -2,-2,-4 -4,-5,-6 -4,-5,-6
6 -1,1,-1 -2,-3,-1 -2,-3,-1
7 -1,-1,1 -2,-2,0 -2,-2,0
8 0,0,2 0,0,0 0,0,0
9 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
10 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0

HCFR measures of CAL-D/N, reference is CAL-DAY

Hi Zoyd,

From reading the above post I understand that Movie mode has it's own colour settings and the 2 Cal modes will share their own. Is that correct? I don't seem to be able to find a way to do that. Whatever adjustments I make to the Custom CS settings seem to be shared across all 3 modes. Could you please explain if there is anything specific that needs to be done?
britbill is offline  
post #1556 of 3305 Old 12-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Newbie
 
jomaxicarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all guys.
which settings are better for a new 59d6900? can i use this thread? a friend's of mine advise to me to use the cue03 profile in the first page for starting. is a good thing?
thanks
jomaxicarus is offline  
post #1557 of 3305 Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Member
 
KTM250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I know you asked this in the Thor 3D review thread, so I'll re-post here what I posted there, in case you get here first...

Are you running with an HDMI cable? Is it passing through a receiver at all (perhaps non-3D capable)? Maybe there's a setting on the PS3 to turn on/off 3D, I don't particularly know myself. I only ask these because I have the same two things (59D7000 and PS3), and I'm not having any problems with 3D Blu-ray discs whatsoever.

Then again, I don't own Thor 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzack02 View Post

Have a PS3 and PN59D7000 tv that both have the latest firmware but when I go to play Thor 3D a blue screens comes up and says in order to play this disc it requires a capable HDTV and Bluray player, which I have... I can play 3D from the sat dish like ESPN3D... confused!

Yes you have to go into the PS3 and set this up. I had the same problem and I don't remember off the top of my head which setting it is.
KTM250 is offline  
post #1558 of 3305 Old 12-02-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,968
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill View Post

...
The CAL-DAY/NIGHT modes need to be enabled via the SM which became available on my display with FW ver. 1013. Custom color space is shared by these modes and I calibrated it for the CAL-D/N modes so there are some relatively small errors in color if you use these movie mode settings.
...

Hi Zoyd,

From reading the above post I understand that Movie mode has it's own colour settings and the 2 Cal modes will share their own. Is that correct? I don't seem to be able to find a way to do that. Whatever adjustments I make to the Custom CS settings seem to be shared across all 3 modes. Could you please explain if there is anything specific that needs to be done?


There is a way to set-up movie mode with it's own color space using the TDM (search for it) and changing either native or auto but unless you are going to measure the differences on your own display it's not worth the trouble.
zoyd is online now  
post #1559 of 3305 Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Member
 
CapeCodKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Usually I am careful about readjusting the Brightness setting after making changes to other controls. In this case, however, I was just checking to see if a Contrast setting of 95 would not affect the picture that I calibrated at a much lower value. Since the 95 setting produces a peak level that is waaaay too high for me, I may have been negligent. Normally as the Contrast is increased, the Brightness must be reduced.

But the questions about this confuse me. Setting the Brightness is the most simple adjustment to perform. All test pattern disks have a method for doing this. The free calibration disk available here on AVS has a very good one. I hope that members are not copying this basic setting without even checking and adjusting it to be perfect for the owner's specific unit.

Thanks for the reply Larry. I tried the 10/19 settings with a 95 contrast and 61 brightness and obviously the PQ wasn't very good. However in my opinion, a contrast of 95 and a brightness of 44 along with the other settings you have for 10/19 makes for an excellent PQ that I enjoy.

Glad you posted these settings! Hope you feel better.
CapeCodKid is offline  
post #1560 of 3305 Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodKid View Post

Thanks for the reply Larry. I tried the 10/19 settings with a 95 contrast and 61 brightness and obviously the PQ wasn't very good. However in my opinion, a contrast of 95 and a brightness of 44 along with the other settings you have for 10/19 makes for an excellent PQ that I enjoy.

Glad you posted these settings! Hope you feel better.


Kid,

Out of curiosity, are you using a Directv HR24-500 receiver box?

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off