Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3305 Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

No, you don't have to. The colors may shift a little bit as the phosphors age, but that shouldn't stop you from using any of the settings in this thread.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3305 Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 PM

I have the 8000. I have a lot of light during the day in my family room. Should I try the Disney WOW disk or try some of the settings on here? Thanks. Also does anyone know if the Avatar 3D disc has a 2D version on it?
post #183 of 3305 Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reap32 View Post
I have the 8000. I have a lot of light during the day in my family room. Should I try the Disney WOW disk or try some of the settings on here? Thanks. Also does anyone know if the Avatar 3D disc has a 2D version on it?
My settings have a pretty high light output, so you can give them a try and see if they work for you.

Yes, the Avatar 3D disc also has the 2D version.
post #184 of 3305 Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Thanks. I gonna give them a try.
post #185 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 AM

Cue 03, Tivo, and Joe,

Thanks for your help guys. You really made it easy on me for the calibration settings. I have a 64d8000 and it looks great now.

Real quick though it seems like your lighting might be a little better than mine since mine is in a basement setup that gets little to no direct natural light, but the lighting itself is medium I would say. It seems like it is a little to dark using cue's settings and even the average provided by Joe. What would you suggest I tweak without doing the picture quality much harm?

Thanks again guys, really this was great stuff.
post #186 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMoxon View Post
It seems like it is a little to dark using cue's settings and even the average provided by Joe. What would you suggest I tweak without doing the picture quality much harm?
My settings are pretty bright, so you may want to give them a try if you're finding the others too dark.
post #187 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 07:02 AM

Sorry for the newbie question. Does it matter what mode(dynamic, movie,standard) you do the calibration on? With the default setting out of the box, if you want a brighter picture you may put it in movie mode or standard otherwise. Once you change the settings, the modes may no longer make sense anymore as the movie mode may now be darker than normal depending on which mode you used to calibrate. Or do people calibrate every mode accordingly?
So confused
Lastly do I need to jot down all the numbers for all modes before playing around with it or is there a reset to default somewhere??

Thanks
post #188 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysammy View Post
Sorry for the newbie question. Does it matter what mode(dynamic, movie,standard) you do the calibration on? With the default setting out of the box, if you want a brighter picture you may put it in movie mode or standard otherwise. Once you change the settings, the modes may no longer make sense anymore as the movie mode may now be darker than normal depending on which mode you used to calibrate. Or do people calibrate every mode accordingly?
So confused
Lastly do I need to jot down all the numbers for all modes before playing around with it or is there a reset to default somewhere??

Thanks
You will only be able to input the settings found on this board in Movie mode. Relax and Dynamic have the advanced settings input grayed out and Standard has the 10 pt white grayed out.

Most people do not calibrate in any mode other than Movie.

It's always a good idea to write down the settings you currently are using, in case your TV gets reset (especially if you are updating the firmware). There is a "reset button" for each mode but it resets to the factory inputs.
post #189 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambengal View Post

You will only be able to input the settings found on this board in Movie mode. Relax and Dynamic have the advanced settings input grayed out and Standard has the 10 pt white grayed out.

Most people do not calibrate in any mode other than Movie.

It's always a good idea to write down the settings you currently are using, in case your TV gets reset (especially if you are updating the firmware). There is a "reset button" for each mode but it resets to the factory inputs.

So most who calibrated just watch everday shows as well as BD in movie mode? I know everybody's settings depend on other variables(lighting,etc..) but in general are these calibrations for basic everyday watching? I just want to make sure not to "burn" something out by putting a setting too high and watch everyday when the setting was only meant for BD.
post #190 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysammy View Post

So most who calibrated just watch everday shows as well as BD in movie mode? I know everybody's settings depend on other variables(lighting,etc..) but in general are these calibrations for basic everyday watching? I just want to make sure not to "burn" something out by putting a setting too high and watch everyday when the setting was only meant for BD.

"Most people" (avid videophiles on this board) watch all content using the calibrated settings in movie mode. In general these settings are for darker rooms with optimum lighting conditions, so if your room has a lot of ambient light then these may appear too dark for you. I believe each one of the people who have posted calibrated settings have also posted the light output for their specific calibration, but this may not be optimal for your viewing environment. I think the settings cue posted are the brightest of the 3 posted so far, tivo's are also pretty bright.

You shouldn't be too worried about burn in on this set, as long as you don't leave static images on the screen for hours (like black side bars in 4:3 or letter box). If want to be careful then you can run break in slides over night. There is an entire thread dedicated to running break images on plasmas, check it out or follow this link:
post #191 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambengal View Post

"Most people" (avid videophiles on this board) watch all content using the calibrated settings in movie mode. In general these settings are for darker rooms with optimum lighting conditions, so if your room has a lot of ambient light then these may appear too dark for you. I believe each one of the people who have posted calibrated settings have also posted the light output for their specific calibration, but this may not be optimal for your viewing environment. I think the settings cue posted are the brightest of the 3 posted so far, tivo's are also pretty bright.

You shouldn't be too worried about burn in on this set, as long as you don't leave static images on the screen for hours (like black side bars in 4:3 or letter box). If want to be careful then you can run break in slides over night. There is an entire thread dedicated to running break images on plasmas, check it out or follow this link:

Here is the link:

http://www.eaprogramming.com/
post #192 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 55
So can ISF night and day cal be enabled on the D8000?

Are there any caveats?

-SiGGy
post #193 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

Are there any caveats?

If so, nobody has figured out how.
post #194 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

bummer, ya I've been prodding around and have come up empty handed. I sure hope they wouldn't disable this on their flagship but allow it on the other models.

-SiGGy
post #195 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Is screen fit only selectable on certain sources? It is not an option for OTA broadcasts on my d7000.
post #196 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 PM

I found this in the thread. I've also heard that the DAY/NIGHT modes are buggy...whatever that means I haven't tried it so do this at your own risk:

ENABLE Day/Night modes:
It's only safe if you know exactly what you are doing. Merely right clicking on an item can trigger a chain of events that might brick your TV.

1. Start with the TV OFF. Press mute, 1, 8, 2, Power fairly rapidly. The TV will power on to the last input and in a few seconds the service menu will appear.

2. Don't do anything other than follow these instructions.

3. Arrow down to Expert and press Enter

4. Select N/D ADJ with up/down arrow key and right click to ON

5. Press the Return key

6. Select Source and either right or left arrow to ALL

7. Press the Return key twice

8. Power OFF

9. Power ON and select Cal-Day Mode. Turn off all the auto or dynamic crap in both Advanced Settings and Picture Options. They are garbage and will only work against you.

10. Calibrate to your heart's content. Any setting you select will transfer to all inputs so you only have to enter once. The factory Modes, Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie will remain unmolested

Quote:

Quote:

Are there any caveats?

post #197 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictcus View Post

I found this in the thread. I've also heard that the DAY/NIGHT modes are buggy...whatever that means I haven't tried it so do this at your own risk

That works on a D7000 but isn't an option on the D8000.
post #198 of 3305 Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Invictcus,

The CAL modes work just fine for 2D on the D7000. They are not at all buggy. They calibrate (with meters) just fine in 2D. I don't have my 3D glasses yet, so I can't comment about that mode.

Please let us know where you heard that they are buggy... whatever that means. And since you have not tried it, why the "so do this at your own risk" statement?

Larry
post #199 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 AM

Has anyone with the D7000 tried these settings (more specifically 64D7000)? I see reports of the folks with the D8000, but not many with the D7000/

I will most likely have it ISF calibrated after a few hundred hours, but need something before then. If any of these look decent, it may help me limp along until the TV logs enough hours for the real calibration.
post #200 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 AM

HI Larry, The only reason I say try at your own risk because I haven't tried that procedure and don't know if it would work. I heard those modes could loose settings, in AVS. Maybe the search function would bring them up. It's a bummer if the modes can't be enabled on the 8000...doesn't make sense...I'd like to enable them myself for the calibrator coming this Wednesday
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Invictcus,

The CAL modes work just fine for 2D on the D7000. They are not at all buggy. They calibrate (with meters) just fine in 2D. I don't have my 3D glasses yet, so I can't comment about that mode.

Please let us know where you heard that they are buggy... whatever that means. And since you have not tried it, why the "so do this at your own risk" statement?

Larry

post #201 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I found this in the thread. I've also heard that the DAY/NIGHT modes are buggy...

Yes, this method works on the D7000 but not the D8000. Although I haven't seen anything that says what happens when someone tries doing this procedure on their D8000. I've just heard it doesn't work.

Guess I'll try it once my D8000 comes in.

The post you might have used to copied those instructions from is here for anyone who wants to read it. I'm sure they are referenced elsewhere.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19892779

This is what I was using to find info on it...
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&q=site:avsforum.com+"N%2FD+ADJ"

-SiGGy
post #202 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Calday and Calnight enable fine on my PN64D7000 which I use CUE's settings with. They are buggy in 3D mode and cause 3D switching problems for me only when in those modes. No big deal but definitely buggy.

Quote:

HI Larry, The only reason I say try at your own risk because I haven't tried that procedure and don't know if it would work. I heard those modes could loose settings, in AVS. Maybe the search function would bring them up. It's a bummer if the modes can't be enabled on the 8000...doesn't make sense...I'd like to enable them myself for the calibrator coming this Wednesday

post #203 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Yes, this method works on the D7000 but not the D8000. Although I haven't seen anything that says what happens when someone tries doing this procedure on their D8000. I've just heard it doesn't work.

Guess I'll try it once my D8000 comes in.

The post you might have used to copied those instructions from is here for anyone who wants to read it. I'm sure they are referenced elsewhere.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19892779

This is what I was using to find info on it...
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&q=site:avsforum.com+"N%2FD+ADJ"

I was just able to enable CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT modes with most recent firmware (1013) on my D8000. Same method as D7000.
post #204 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I was just able to enable CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT modes with most recent firmware (1013) on my D8000. Same method as D7000.

Awesome, thanks for updating!

-SiGGy
post #205 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice! I'm glad they added it. Not sure why they left it out initially.
post #206 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So FW ver 1013 changes a D8000 to a D7000. Right, zoyd?

Larry
post #207 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So FW ver 1013 changes a D8000 to a D7000. Right, zoyd?

Larry

I actually toyed with the idea of loading up D7000 firmware.
post #208 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually toyed with the idea of loading up D7000 firmware.

I read that last year one could upgrade the C7000 to a C8000 using the firmware. Don't know any details though -- haven't done my research. If so, maybe I'll be able to convert my D7000 to a D8000 some day.

Larry
post #209 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read that last year one could upgrade the C7000 to a C8000 using the firmware. Don't know any details though -- haven't done my research. If so, maybe I'll be able to convert my D7000 to a D8000 some day.

Larry

Found another toy to play with. I can remote control the D8000 via the ex-link port (RS-232) and software found here. Not particularly useful, but fun.
post #210 of 3305 Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

zoyd, how in the world did you find that 10 year old drawing? (I wonder how many members even know what a RS-232 port is.)

Have fun with your experimenting. Let me know if you find anything useful.

Larry
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page