Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Newbie
 
skinnysammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr369 View Post

I am having the same issue.I haven't been able to find anything on it. I called Samsung and all they told me to do was turn off the eco sensor and that should fix it, but it didn't fix anything.

Actually, turning off the eco sensor worked for me. The screen brightened up right away and hasn't dimmed again....so far.
skinnysammy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Member
 
EvanVanVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The settings posted so far in this thread apply to movie mode only. There are a couple of differences between movie and the CAL-D/N modes. One is in the way gamma behaves, gamma is lower in the CAL modes. Also, there is a difference in color (mainly red) and since they share the custom color space if you calibrate for one mode there will be errors in the other. This all applies the D8000, D7000 is not confirmed to do this yet. I am working on settings for D/N mode but it is proving hard to get a decent gamma.

EDIT: Here are the Day/Night settings I am currently using, posted on 1st page as well.

Those look very different then your original Movie settings you posted and you did say the Cal D/N is different then the movie mode in a couple ways...The 10-pt settings look very different, rather then 1s and -1, there are lots of -5s, and -6s...If I want to keep using movie mode (cause of the bug with 3D and Cal D/N) do you think I should update those 10pt settings (and the rest) or stay with your original settings? thanks
EvanVanVan is offline  
post #243 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

Those look very different then your original Movie settings you posted and you did say the Cal D/N is different then the movie mode in a couple ways...The 10-pt settings look very different, rather then 1s and -1, there are lots of -5s, and -6s...If I want to keep using movie mode (cause of the bug with 3D and Cal D/N) do you think I should update those 10pt settings (and the rest) or stay with your original settings? thanks

I'm not aware of any Cal D/N 3D bug, can you describe it? The reason my Cal D/N mode 10 pt settings are different from movie mode is that I used a different approach to calibrating the gamma scale to try and improve black level response for mid to high APL scenes. I'm still evaluating whether I prefer it or not but so far results are positive. I'll probably update the movie mode settings using the same technique in a couple of days. In the meantime you could try the Cal D/N settings and see how they look but you'll have to activate D/N modes, they won't look good in movie mode.

edit: I just saw in the "pop" thread that you have a D7000, I do not know if D8000 settings will work on your display, you might want to try Larry's settings.
zoyd is offline  
post #244 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
zoyd,

Are you referring to the constant APL mode instead of the standard windows for calibrating gamma -- and grayscale? I asked D-Nice which he uses and he said the AVSHD 709 constant APL with the larger window. That's what I use. (I saw Michael's comment in the other forum.)

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #245 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

zoyd,

Are you referring to the constant APL mode instead of the standard windows for calibrating gamma -- and grayscale? I asked D-Nice which he uses and he said the AVSHD 709 constant APL with the larger window. That's what I use. (I saw Michael's comment in the other forum.)

Larry

yes, I had been using the traditional windowed patterns but discovered this generated a disjointed gamma curve due to dynamic contrast so I asked the question over at HDJ wondering what pro calibrators use nowadays. Apparently Michael prefers the traditional method.
zoyd is offline  
post #246 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

yes, I had been using the traditional windowed patterns but discovered this generated a disjointed gamma curve due to dynamic contrast so I asked the question over at HDJ wondering what pro calibrators use nowadays. Apparently Michael prefers the traditional method.

I interpreted his comment as a verbal shoulder shrug -- as in the real world, it really doesn't matter.

BTW, I just increased the cell light to 100, dropped the contrast to 65, and readjusted the brightness to compensate. Without putting a meter on it, the picture visually seems to be at about the same peak luminance but the picture seems better. I can't describe it except it looks better. Maybe it's just the hour.


Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #247 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I was going to try that but ran out of gas plus I wanted to watch something with the new settings. Have to say I'm really enjoying the PQ, just finished an old Robert Mitchum western, looked superb.
zoyd is offline  
post #248 of 3305 Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Zetherin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OP, would you mind putting joefrog's chart on page 3 in the original post so everyone can try the main shared calibrated settings without having to dig through this thread?
Zetherin is offline  
post #249 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TiVoHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post
OP, would you mind putting joefrog's chart on page 3 in the original post so everyone can try the main shared calibrated settings without having to dig through this thread?
Sure thing. I just updated the original post.
TiVoHD is offline  
post #250 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Member
 
EvanVanVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
I'm not aware of any Cal D/N 3D bug, can you describe it? The reason my Cal D/N mode 10 pt settings are different from movie mode is that I used a different approach to calibrating the gamma scale to try and improve black level response for mid to high APL scenes. I'm still evaluating whether I prefer it or not but so far results are positive. I'll probably update the movie mode settings using the same technique in a couple of days. In the meantime you could try the Cal D/N settings and see how they look but you'll have to activate D/N modes, they won't look good in movie mode.

edit: I just saw in the "pop" thread that you have a D7000, I do not know if D8000 settings will work on your display, you might want to try Larry's settings.
Yeah, I asked about the 3D/Cal bug in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333542

As koffas said, toggling from Cal to Movie and back to Cal fixed the 3D effect, but it's still a little more work then it's worth...So after activating Cal-modes and trying them for a few days I switched back to Movie mode primarily..

Your d8000 settings seem to translate well, my tv looks great but I have wanted to try some of the other guys settings, just been lazy..
EvanVanVan is offline  
post #251 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Thanks for the link, I hadn't tried 3D in the cal modes yet but just did and it is borked if you start in CAL mode. If you start in movie mode and then switch to CAL it is fine.
zoyd is offline  
post #252 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Member
 
whackawookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good job on the settings zoyd, only thing is the custom color settings dont appear to be independant between movie, cal-day and cal-night (or anyother mode). I thought i was going crazy constantly fixing the values until i realized they are shared. This doesnt seem to be the case for anyother setting. This happening with anyone else?
whackawookie is offline  
post #253 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
work permit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: ny,ny,usa
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've updated the table to include LarryInRI's settings. TiVoHD, would you mind updating the original post?


Movie Mode TiVoHD zoyd cue03 LarryInRI Average
Cell Light 20 15 20 15 18
Contrast 96 80 95 80 88
Brightness 54 54 53 66 57
Sharpness 0 0 5 0 1
Color 50 50 50 44 49
Tint 50/50 50/50 50/50 48/52 50/50
Black Tone off off off off
Dynamic off off off off
gamma -1 -1 -1 0 -1
RGB Only off
Flesh Tone 0 0 0 0
Edge Enhance off off off off
Motion Light off off off off
xvYcc off off off off
Color Tone warm2 warm2 warm2 warm2
Digital Noise off off off off
mpeg Noise off off off off
Color Space
Red_r 48 39 43 36 42
Red_g 6 6 6 50 17
Red_b 6 5 5 50 17
Green_r 20 20 14 60 29
Green_g 54 50 50 50 51
Green_b 3 6 1 20 8
Blue_r 3 1 3 40 12
Blue_g 3 3 0 20 7
Blue_b 50 41 47 50 47
Yellow_r 53 51 48 50 51
Yellow_g 53 51 50 50 51
Yellow_b 6 7 5 2 5
Cyan_r 17 18 15 20 18
Cyan_g 52 48 49 46 49
Cyan_b 52 48 51 46 49
Magenta_r 47 41 44 40 43
Magenta_g 8 6 6 3 6
Magenta_b 57 48 48 47 50
White Balance
r-offset 26 22 25 28 25
g-offset 25 26 25 22 25
b-offset 22 25 25 22 24
r-gain 13 30 25 28 24
g-gain 25 25 25 24 25
b-gain 29 27 30 24 28
10-point
r1 0 -1 1 0 0
g1 0 -1 0 0 0
b1 0 0 1 1 1
r2 0 2 -4 0 -1
g2 0 1 -3 0 -1
b2 0 2 -4 0 -1
r3 1 0 1 0 1
g3 0 0 1 0 0
b3 0 -2 0 0 -1
r4 0 1 0 0 0
g4 0 0 1 0 0
b4 0 -1 1 -1 0
r5 0 0 2 -1 0
g5 1 1 2 0 1
b5 2 -3 3 1 1
r6 -2 0 1 -1 -1
g6 0 0 1 0 0
b6 0 1 2 1 1
r7 1 1 0 0 1
g7 2 1 0 0 1
b7 2 2 0 0 1
r8 -2 -1 -1 0 -1
g8 0 0 -1 0 0
b8 0 1 -1 0 0
r9 0 -1 0 0 0
g9 2 -1 0 0 0
b9 -2 1 -1 0 -1
r10 0 1 1 0 1
g10 2 0 0 0 1
b10 -2 3 -3 0 -1

Alex
work permit is offline  
post #254 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
t69
Newbie
 
t69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Switzerland / Corpataux
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello,

thanks all for the great settings, i just received my ps64d8080, and TiVoHD works great for me... sooo merci :-)
t69 is offline  
post #255 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackawookie View Post

Good job on the settings zoyd, only thing is the custom color settings dont appear to be independant between movie, cal-day and cal-night (or anyother mode). I thought i was going crazy constantly fixing the values until i realized they are shared. This doesnt seem to be the case for anyother setting. This happening with anyone else?

yep, unfortunately they all share the same custom color space. I can probably find a setting that can be used by both modes without significant color errors but haven't done it yet.
zoyd is offline  
post #256 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

I've updated the table to include LarryInRI's settings. TiVoHD, would you mind updating the original post?

I would recommend removing the average setting and also note which are D8000 and D7000. Each calibration is unique because there are different controls that can be used to achieve similar results, averaging them together will just make a mess.
zoyd is offline  
post #257 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Member
 
whackawookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

yep, unfortunately they all share the same custom color space. I can probably find a setting that can be used by both modes without significant color errors but haven't done it yet.

Im cool with your movie mode, just bummed because i figured these extra settings would work as additional movie mode-esque setttings for those times where one worked better then the other
whackawookie is offline  
post #258 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
work permit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: ny,ny,usa
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I would recommend removing the average setting and also note which are D8000 and D7000. Each calibration is unique because there are different controls that can be used to achieve similar results, averaging them together will just make a mess.


I personally agree with you that the averages are misleading. If others agree, I'm happy to take out that column. In addition to noting which are D7000 and D8000, I can also add which are 51, 59, or 65 if others find it useful.

Alex
work permit is offline  
post #259 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

I personally agree with you that the averages are misleading. If others agree, I'm happy to take out that column. In addition to noting which are D7000 and D8000, I can also add which are 51, 59, or 65 if others find it useful.


Remove the averages and add the model and size info.


Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #260 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Member
 
tomtbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Hi,

Not knowing what cell light means technically I set peak white using cell light and contrast so as to allow room for additional adjustments if necessary that's why mine are < 20. Contrast works as you would expect, just like a color gain you have to adjust brightness after adjusting contrast while cell light does not appear to affect the low end. My theory is that cell light is related to the number of sub-fields active for each pixel. If that is the case it might be best to just set it at 20 to utilize the full range of levels available for each pixel but I haven't investigated that yet.

I think I'll start with the cell light at 20 and see if I'm happy with that, and leaving the adjusting to the contrast level.
tomtbone is offline  
post #261 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Member
 
tomtbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible for those people doing calibrations to state their desired ftl at 100 ire window that they used and maybe that can make it onto the chart? I think it would be useful, because if there is someone that can't calibrate themselves, but knows that they want the set to be brighter because of room conditions, they can choose one calibration set over another.
tomtbone is offline  
post #262 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone View Post

Is it possible for those people doing calibrations to state their desired ftl at 100 ire window that they used and maybe that can make it onto the chart? I think it would be useful, because if there is someone that can't calibrate themselves, but knows that they want the set to be brighter because of room conditions, they can choose one calibration set over another.


Yes, that would be very helpful. My posted settings are for a very dim viewing environment and my peak luminance is about 28 ftL --27.8 to be exact. (I think rounding the value off would be sufficient.)

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #263 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
work permit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: ny,ny,usa
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Remove the averages and add the model and size info.
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone View Post

Is it possible for those people doing calibrations to state their desired ftl at 100 ire window that they used and maybe that can make it onto the chart? I think it would be useful, because if there is someone that can't calibrate themselves, but knows that they want the set to be brighter because of room conditions, they can choose one calibration set over another.

Done.

TiVoHD zoyd cue03 LarryInRI
64D8000 51D8000 64D8000 64D7000
Mode Movie Movie Movie Movie
Peak White 30ftL 27.8ftL
Cell Light 20 15 20 15
Contrast 96 80 95 80
Brightness 54 54 53 66
Sharpness 0 0 5 0
Color 50 50 50 44
Tint 50/50 50/50 50/50 48/52
Black Tone off off off
Dynamic off off off
gamma -1 -1 -1 0
RGB Only off
Flesh Tone 0 0 0
Edge Enhance off off off
Motion Light off off off
xvYcc off off off
Color Tone warm2 warm2 warm2
Digital Noise off off off
mpeg Noise off off off
Color Space
Red_r 48 39 43 36
Red_g 6 6 6 50
Red_b 6 5 5 50
Green_r 20 20 14 60
Green_g 54 50 50 50
Green_b 3 6 1 20
Blue_r 3 1 3 40
Blue_g 3 3 0 20
Blue_b 50 41 47 50
Yellow_r 53 51 48 50
Yellow_g 53 51 50 50
Yellow_b 6 7 5 2
Cyan_r 17 18 15 20
Cyan_g 52 48 49 46
Cyan_b 52 48 51 46
Magenta_r 47 41 44 40
Magenta_g 8 6 6 3
Magenta_b 57 48 48 47
White Balance
r-offset 26 22 25 28
g-offset 25 26 25 22
b-offset 22 25 25 22
r-gain 13 30 25 28
g-gain 25 25 25 24
b-gain 29 27 30 24
10-point
r1 0 -1 1 0
g1 0 -1 0 0
b1 0 0 1 1
r2 0 2 -4 0
g2 0 1 -3 0
b2 0 2 -4 0
r3 1 0 1 0
g3 0 0 1 0
b3 0 -2 0 0
r4 0 1 0 0
g4 0 0 1 0
b4 0 -1 1 -1
r5 0 0 2 -1
g5 1 1 2 0
b5 2 -3 3 1
r6 -2 0 1 -1
g6 0 0 1 0
b6 0 1 2 1
r7 1 1 0 0
g7 2 1 0 0
b7 2 2 0 0
r8 -2 -1 -1 0
g8 0 0 -1 0
b8 0 1 -1 0
r9 0 -1 0 0
g9 2 -1 0 0
b9 -2 1 -1 0
r10 0 1 1 0
g10 2 0 0 0
b10 -2 3 -3 0

Alex
work permit is offline  
post #264 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
cxr369's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysammy View Post

Actually, turning off the eco sensor worked for me. The screen brightened up right away and hasn't dimmed again....so far.

It continues to do it with the eco sensor off, anything else I can do?
cxr369 is offline  
post #265 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Member
 
whackawookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr369 View Post

It continues to do it with the eco sensor off, anything else I can do?

Make sure motion lighting is also set to off
whackawookie is offline  
post #266 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Member
 
bostonfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed the brightness fluctuations alot in wide mode, using screen fit, which of course
after break in is all I will use, i dont see it all.
bostonfan2 is offline  
post #267 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Member
 
prophcy0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a question about the black level on the 2011 Samsungs. I know these sets aren't supposed to be on the same level as the 9th gen Kuros, but are they close? I am coming from an 8th gen Kuro (5080HD) and the black levels on my set seem awfully bright. I have a 64D7000 set to movie mode, with cinema smooth off. My blacks don't seem anywhere near inky, and unless I'm misremembering they don't seem any better than the black levels on my 8th gen Kuro.

When there are lights on in the room the blacks very much look black, thanks to the RBF; however, as soon as the lights go off they look more like a dark grey. This is especially evident when my PS3 is switching from the XMB to a blu-ray. The TV's display briefly turns off and turns inky-black, and then as soon as it gets a signal again the display kicks back on and I am reminded how grey my blacks look.

Is it possible that I have a defective set, or am I just being far too critical? I'm thinking I may have to drag my Kuro back downstairs and turn the TVs on side-by-side to compare.

Also, should I just accept the fact that line bleed is inherent with these TVs? This is another issue I never had with my Kuro, but it's pretty evident at times on my Samsung.
prophcy0 is offline  
post #268 of 3305 Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Member
 
uglygolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LarryInRI's (D7000) settings are much different than the rest (D8000). It seems to point that these two models have different calibration points and the settings from one set aren't really applicable to the other. I am of course simplifying this a bit by ignoring the manufacturing difference in each of the sets from the same model line.
uglygolfer is offline  
post #269 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spdntrxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pleasanton,Ca
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post

I've got a question about the black level on the 2011 Samsungs. I know these sets aren't supposed to be on the same level as the 9th gen Kuros, but are they close? I am coming from an 8th gen Kuro (5080HD) and the black levels on my set seem awfully bright. I have a 64D7000 set to movie mode, with cinema smooth off. My blacks don't seem anywhere near inky, and unless I'm misremembering they don't seem any better than the black levels on my 8th gen Kuro.

When there are lights on in the room the blacks very much look black, thanks to the RBF; however, as soon as the lights go off they look more like a dark grey. This is especially evident when my PS3 is switching from the XMB to a blu-ray. The TV's display briefly turns off and turns inky-black, and then as soon as it gets a signal again the display kicks back on and I am reminded how grey my blacks look.

Is it possible that I have a defective set, or am I just being far too critical? I'm thinking I may have to drag my Kuro back downstairs and turn the TVs on side-by-side to compare.

Also, should I just accept the fact that line bleed is inherent with these TVs? This is another issue I never had with my Kuro, but it's pretty evident at times on my Samsung.

only number I have seen from the larger sets (+59/64 7k &8k) was .0068.. so not anywhere near 9G Kuro Black.. Hell the VT30 at .0043 is not 9G black.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
spdntrxi is offline  
post #270 of 3305 Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
TiVoHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophcy0 View Post

I've got a question about the black level on the 2011 Samsungs.

If your source supports it, make sure HDMI Black Level is set to Low.
TiVoHD is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d8000 51 Inch 1080p 3d Ready Plasma Hdtv 2011 Model , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black , Plasma Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off