PN59D7000 or TC-P65ST30 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Syndrome? Have you read more than one problem about peeling anti-glare film on Samsung? And that one I read on AVS, was like that on arrival.

I have read about 4 cases and it is actually bubbles not peeling. Upper left corner in all cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

I think your desire to purchase from Best Buy is complicating your decision. The price of a 59d7000 should not be comparable to a 65st30. Maybe at Best Buy it is, but not at a host of fine, reputable, authorized online sellers.

In fact, the Samsung 64d7000 is cheaper than the Panasonic 65st30 at these online sellers. (The savings increase if you factor in the free 3D gear).

Why are you interested in a "free shipping" promotion at Best Buy when that comes standard at many online sellers? And are you considering the fact that you'll have to pay hundreds in sales tax at Best Buy?

In short, if you insist on purchasing from Best Buy, then the 65" Panasonic is a no-brainer. But you would get a much better value on a Samsung 64d7000 online.

I live in DE so no sales tax....sorry I should have mentioned.
post #63 of 65 Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

So with no sales tax its more like

59D7000 vs 65ST30 (although not readily available)

and

64D7000 vs 65GT30 (3D kit included in one, not the other)
post #64 of 65 Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have both a p55st30 and a pn59d7000 sitting in my home right now and I have gone back and forth on these two sets to the point I feel like i am doing TV squats mounting and un-mounting them from the wall.

Both have pros and cons:

The biggest issue I have with the ST30 is that to get it bright you have to bump the back light up to MID in custom mode. Cinema is entirely too dark for my viewing habits. The problem with bumping the back light to mid is the gamma and color accuracy goes crazy. So in it's most accurate mode it does not get very bright 27 fll is what I have been seeing out there.

The PN59d7000 in movie mode (The preferable viewing mode) gets very bright in comparison without sacrificing the image fidelity.

It is nice though to have the ability to get brighter on the ST30 than you can on the d7000.

So unfortunately, to get the st30 bright you have to sacrifice image fidelity. But.....this ability to go brighter is great for gaming or watching anything where you would like it to appear contrasty <-------Not really a word

Overall, the image on the pn59d7000 is smoother and more natural and the colors just look perfect. I don't see the over-saturation of colors on the D7000 I see on the ST30.

This is an AV message board and I have found that I almost wish I never started researching this stuff. What you don't know does not hurt you. Once I started reading the pros and cons of both sets I started looking/hunting for issues rather than enjoying the display. Both have really nice pictures and both have strengths the other does not. The question is, which strengths weigh more in the decision making process. I wish i could answer that for myself. Two weeks to go and one of these sets has to get returned.

Other notes: The ST30 does not buzz at all in my home. Have to literally press your ear to the screen in a silent room to hear it. The D7000 does buzz and it can be heard from my seated position but it is very minimal and less distracting than the fan noise from my ps3 or slim 360

The ST30 has not had any instances of brightness fluctuation. The D7000 has had it multiple times. Not a big deal and not too distracting but it is present. I have tried reseting the TV and adjusting the Eco setting and it did not help. I also compared the exact same scenes where the brightness issues occur on the D7000 and they do not occur on the ST30.

The left speaker has quit working on the ST30 so it is going back anyway.

I am leaning towards keeping the D7000 due to its cleaner image and bright image in the recommending viewing mode. The ST30 is a great set though, good enough for me to go back and forth between the two which is saying a lot considering it is about 700 bucks cheaper than the D7000.
post #65 of 65 Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post

I have both a p55st30 and a pn59d7000 sitting in my home right now and I have gone back and forth on these two sets to the point I feel like i am doing TV squats mounting and un-mounting them from the wall.

Both have pros and cons:

The biggest issue I have with the ST30 is that to get it bright you have to bump the back light up to MID in custom mode. Cinema is entirely too dark for my viewing habits. The problem with bumping the back light to mid is the gamma and color accuracy goes crazy. So in it's most accurate mode it does not get very bright 27 fll is what I have been seeing out there.

The PN59d7000 in movie mode (The preferable viewing mode) gets very bright in comparison without sacrificing the image fidelity.

It is nice though to have the ability to get brighter on the ST30 than you can on the d7000.

So unfortunately, to get the st30 bright you have to sacrifice image fidelity. But.....this ability to go brighter is great for gaming or watching anything where you would like it to appear contrasty <-------Not really a word

Overall, the image on the pn59d7000 is smoother and more natural and the colors just look perfect. I don't see the over-saturation of colors on the D7000 I see on the ST30.

This is an AV message board and I have found that I almost wish I never started researching this stuff. What you don't know does not hurt you. Once I started reading the pros and cons of both sets I started looking/hunting for issues rather than enjoying the display. Both have really nice pictures and both have strengths the other does not. The question is, which strengths weigh more in the decision making process. I wish i could answer that for myself. Two weeks to go and one of these sets has to get returned.

Other notes: The ST30 does not buzz at all in my home. Have to literally press your ear to the screen in a silent room to hear it. The D7000 does buzz and it can be heard from my seated position but it is very minimal and less distracting than the fan noise from my ps3 or slim 360

The ST30 has not had any instances of brightness fluctuation. The D7000 has had it multiple times. Not a big deal and not too distracting but it is present. I have tried reseting the TV and adjusting the Eco setting and it did not help. I also compared the exact same scenes where the brightness issues occur on the D7000 and they do not occur on the ST30.

The left speaker has quit working on the ST30 so it is going back anyway.

I am leaning towards keeping the D7000 due to its cleaner image and bright image in the recommending viewing mode. The ST30 is a great set though, good enough for me to go back and forth between the two which is saying a lot considering it is about 700 bucks cheaper than the D7000.

Thank you for all that. Believe it or not I actually pulled the trigger on the 64d7000. Delivery is tomorrow night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn59d7000 59 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page