LG pz750 50" & 60" Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 137 Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No threads on these yet? AMAZING TVs! They have the filtered glass on front, flush panel of glass on front, swivel, thin body, movies by USB, LG Apps, built-in web-browser, 3d, mouse-style remote...everything! Only downfall is that they're kind of heavy, but who cares! Don't know if wi-fi is built-in but I think it is. And cheap! 50" inch for about $1400!

Question: All plasmas have a pane of glass behind the pixels and one in front. So, all have at least 2 panes of glass. Does this LG plasma have an extra pane for a total of 3 panes of glass? Here's a diagram but I don't get much out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 Old 05-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Bought the 60" one yesterday. I'm excited for it. It does have wifi, yes.
post #3 of 137 Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwho View Post

Bought the 60" one yesterday. I'm excited for it. It does have wifi, yes.

Actually, it is wifi ready. It requires another $80 dongle. I said screw it, canceled the 750, and bought the 950 instead.
post #4 of 137 Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 AM

What's the price for a 60"? I can't seem to find a price in Canada.
post #5 of 137 Old 05-13-2011, 02:19 PM

I am in Edmonton, bought my 60PZ750 just over 2 weeks ago. They didn't even have the displays or stock in store (or any other store in town yet), shipped direct from the warehouse to me. List on their site is $2400. I ended up getting a smokin deal on it. Great TV so far. I don't have any glasses yet but they can be had at $99 each. This is my first Plasma, and only my second flat screen, the first being a LG 32" LCD (also a fantastic set). I too have been disappointed in the lack of threads/reviews but I think these are still so new not many people have them.

Tyron
post #6 of 137 Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM

A quick backstory on my purchase and fortay into the world of Plasma. I originally purchased a 60pv450 from FutureShop which I had for about 2 weeks as the PZ series was not available yet and the price was right. I had some issues with the high reflection on the screen and unfortunately I am one of those people that can see the "rainbow effect" in plasmas which I found quite distracting with the PV450. Fortunately the sales person that I bought from called me when the PZ750 arrived in their warehouse and I exchanged the PV for the PZ. I couldn't be happier. The issue with screen reflection is nearly non-existant while watching TV/Movies and the rainbow effect is diminished to the point where it is no longer much of a distraction. I am looking forward to getting the ISF calibration done on it once I am past the break in period. Then I will see what it can really do. If the difference is as apparent on plasmas as it was with my old CRT getting the ISF calibration it will make this a truly amazing set.
I must admit that I have not had much experience with all the included fluff in these sets, like Netflix/web serch/LG apps and the like as it seems these programs are included in nearly every device that I own. One thing in particular that I like about this set over a lot of the other Plasmas is that it has 4 HDMI inputs, and they are all on the side of the set for easy access rather than having to fight with them on the back of the set. No buzzing to deal with from the set and doesn't seem to run crazy hot as some Plasmas seem to.
Currently using the OPPO BDP-95 as my source for BD content.
post #7 of 137 Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Underling, what is your viewing environment like?

post #8 of 137 Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Hows the Input Lag, Image Retention, and glare filters on this model?
post #9 of 137 Old 05-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Underling, what is your viewing environment like?

My viewing environment is near ideal. I am in the basement with one window on the back wall that is completely blacked out. I have lights on the back of the tv that I use occasionally for viewing, I have also watched with the lights on in the basement and I do get a little reflection from the overhead lights as they are 4' fluorescents and my tv is mounted flat on the wall (no tilt). During the later part of the day I do get some sun that comes down the stairwell at the moment through the back door. This will be corrected at some point to give me a pure black environment.
post #10 of 137 Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskins View Post

Hows the Input Lag, Image Retention, and glare filters on this model?

First the glare filters...As I stated I originally had the 60PV450 for a couple weeks and the glare was so bad I couldn't stand it. It was distracting during regular viewing if there was any light source at all (From overhead lights, computer screen on in the background, lights on computer case..) Even just standing in front of the screen with the set off it was like looking into a mirror. Since changing to the 60PZ750 I have not been distracted by glare at all. I have not seen a set in store or at others homes with either LCD or Plasma that do not have some level of reflection and this is as good as I have had experience with in that regard. Keep in mind that my set location is possible the worst case for showing glare as it is set with eye level about 1/3 of the way up the screen and dead flat against the wall surface with no tilt, so I am looking at the glass dead on (similar to looking at a bathroom mirror) giving it the perfect angle to show glare from all light sources. That being said I have been quite happy with the level of glare, or lack thereof. Even with the overhead lighting on with regular television programming, the glare is there but not a distraction. My 32' CRT was much worse for glare I think than this set and I never had an issue with my CRT.

Secondly, on Image Retention....I have not had much experience with flat screens LCD or Plasma to date so I am not sure what to expect in this regard. I do know through the breakin period (I am at about 150 hours now) I did experience some. Noteably the first time I watched a Hockey feed with the static scoreboard at the top. At that point I had the set with probably less than 10 hours on it. I did notice a little IR but it was gone in very short order. The second time it was watching the Canadian Federal Election for 3-4 hours with a static screen on the bottom showing the live results as votes were tallied, again this was around about the 10-20 hour mark. When I was done and went to the black screen it showed as a muted color blotch (the same shape/colors as the static board). I was a little worried at that point, but again it was not eveident when I put other programming on and after about 15 minutes I was back on the black screen and there was no evidence of it. I was disappointed and a little concerned to see that about 90% of the Bluray titles out there are 2.35 or 2.40:1 with black bars top/bottom, but I have had no issue with IR in that regard at all yet.

Lastly the input LAG. On this one I draw a blank. I do like to game on my PS3 occasionally though I do not profess to be an expert or be good enough that milliseconds make or break my performance. I can say that so far I have played Tiger Woods PGA 2011 and did not have any issues with golf swing response. I also finally opened my copy of Tekken6 for the first time last night and played the first few stages and did not notice any issues. I am not really sure what to look for with input lag so I may just be missing it, but from some of the other threads that I have come across other make it seem that games are unplayable due to delayed response from controller input to screen.

I have noticed that source matters in what this TV can do...I recently got the OPPO BDP-95 and the blacks are crazy good, and the picture has great depth/color after a preliminary calibration using the PS3 as reference using Disney's WoW. I will likely recalibrate this weekend with the OPPO, but the picture is stunning as is. I will also be getting an ISF calibration once I have around 300 hours on it (about 200 hours on the OPPO) as well. The blacks through the PS3 don't seem to be quite as good as the OPPO though I suppose this should be expected due to the better quality player.

I had some concerns going into Plasma due to all the reading that I had done. Not due to picture quality as I have always known Plasma to be superior in that regard, and most of my television viewing (90%) is movie with the other 10% television and gaming. I have been very critial in regards to IR/burn-in, reflection/glare, blackness levels, green/red snow, etc. The only small nit picks that I have currently are the rainbow effect, which I can unfortunately see (possibly due to having High-Index lenses in my glasses which pass light through a little differently), and the ghost lines across the screen, most noticable on things like the PS3 with the time/box in the top right, which from what I can see is something that all Plasmas suffer from to some degree, carrying a faint ghosting of a hard line across the screen past where it stops. I have not noticed it in movie credits as some have mentioned though.

All in all I am extremely happy with my purchase; both the fantastic price I got it at, as well as the quality of construction/aeesthetics/picture and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I am sure that there are better sets out there (aren't there always..?) but I have been very happy with my LG 32" LCD and the trend continues with my new 60" LG Plasma. I am looking forward to finally getting a few pairs of 3D glasses to see what the 3D capabilites of the set are like. I am not as concerned about this as out of the 90% movie viewing that I do, I could see maybe 5% or less of that being 3D for the time being.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to answer them. I am fairly new to this forum (been reading it for a year or 2 now) having only joined in the last few months, so once I get around to figuring out how the pictures work I will upload some pics of my setup.
post #11 of 137 Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Picked this up this past week, sadly the unit came with two lines of pixels gone from top to bottom, understandably this happens from time to time. However the 3D has massive ghosting, to the point where my wife asked if the movie was out of focus. We ended up turning off Tangled due the ghosting.
Unfortunate really as the TV is stellar looking, but fails to perform with 3D content. sigh
post #12 of 137 Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by underling View Post

I was disappointed and a little concerned to see that about 90% of the Bluray titles out there are 2.35 or 2.40:1 with black bars top/bottom,

No need to be disappointed. It's a good thing, that we get the OAR on most discs!
post #13 of 137 Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticraider View Post
Picked this up this past week, sadly the unit came with two lines of pixels gone from top to bottom, understandably this happens from time to time. However the 3D has massive ghosting, to the point where my wife asked if the movie was out of focus. We ended up turning off Tangled due the ghosting.
Unfortunate really as the TV is stellar looking, but fails to perform with 3D content. sigh
Since I haven't done much 3D on this TV yet I can't speak to the quality of the 3D content. I only just purchased a pair of the AGS-250 a few days ago, and have only watched a standard def DVD upconverted to 3D with the intensity set in the middle (very subtle difference). The only 3D title in my collection is TRON Legacy. Is it possible that since your television was already defective that there could have been more wrong with it than just the pixel lines?
I have close to 200 hours on my set now and I can say that I still really have nothing bad to say about it. I will have to spend some time on 3D content, and will be getting the ISF calibration done in the next month or so to really see what it can do, but black levels seem great with my current settings. The only downside so far is the 24p jittery pans, which isn't the televisions fault, but the format itself.
I will have to put some time in with the 3D content (my sister has Tangled 3D) and see how it does.

underling
post #14 of 137 Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 AM

LG's Plasma TV is considered to be the best 3D technology and what's good about these LG plasmas is that they cheaper compared to other brands. The exciting thing is that LG comes with their own LG apps and the cool Wii-like Magic Wand remote. Plus, if you have iPhone or any Android phone, you can download apps for you to be able to control the set.

Home System | A/V Accessories & Cables
post #15 of 137 Old 07-17-2011, 03:36 AM

Just bought lgpz750 60"and I want to make love to it!! Cool iPhone remote app, 3D and 2D is awesome, sound is ample and Smart tv features pretty cool too although don't care much for it. Remote has backlight which I need cuz like movies in dark room. Finally upgraded from Sony 55" wega rear proj which I was happy with I must say. Paid 1499 brandsmart (Florida) and came with 2 active shut glasses. I thought good deal and within my budget.
Any way of knowing what there firmware updates brings or improves? Curious to know what others think of set since I think overshadowed by panny's, sony and samsungs. 1st post and sorry is a long one!
post #16 of 137 Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocyFisher View Post

LG's Plasma TV is considered to be the best 3D technology and what's good about these LG plasmas is that they cheaper compared to other brands. The exciting thing is that LG comes with their own LG apps and the cool Wii-like Magic Wand remote. Plus, if you have iPhone or any Android phone, you can download apps for you to be able to control the set.

As far as 3d...1st movie I watched was shrek4 and had considerable amount of ghostly. Was disappointed but found firmware update and seemed to correct 98 percent of it. Other movies in 3d I watched (comcast decent variety 3D content) such as Indespicable Me, Ice Age, and Step Up were PERFECT with no crosstalk. And like u said, iPhone remote app SWEET.
post #17 of 137 Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 AM

I have the 50" PZ750

I have noticed a great deal of input lag. I don't currently have the equipment to measure, but it seems to be pretty high.

The only thing that I've been able to do is go to ISF mode 2 in the expert options and turn many settings off and set the aspect ratio to "Just Scan".

Does anyone have any suggested settings for reducing Input Lag on this set?

I really don't want to return it, but I will if I have to.
post #18 of 137 Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemm View Post

I have the 50" PZ750

I have noticed a great deal of input lag. I don't currently have the equipment to measure, but it seems to be pretty high.

The only thing that I've been able to do is go to ISF mode 2 in the expert options and turn many settings off and set the aspect ratio to "Just Scan".

Does anyone have any suggested settings for reducing Input Lag on this set?

I really don't want to return it, but I will if I have to.

I did notice some lagg while playing COD on xbox. Though it might have to do with not having a high speed HDMI cable hooked up to my 360 and hoping that should take care of it once I hook up. I really hope resolves because I can't see returning since my pz750 replaced the Sharp Aquottron LE835u which requires a Phd to Calibrate properly. I am new to this forum thing but it's great see what others that have same set experience...good or bad.
post #19 of 137 Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Anyone have the most recent firmware installed yet. I have updated once since I got the set, but just reconnected the networking again after a month and received another update saying that there is a new firmware. If you have installed have you noticed any improvements?

I am going to have to try some more games on the set to check the input lag, I have only run Tiger Woods 2011 and Tekken 6 on it thus far and haven't had any issue with delay from time that I press the controller buttons on my PS3 and the reaction by the player on the screen. Also, at the moment my devices are plugged directly into the set rather than through an AVR which may make a difference as well.

The only 3D movie I have put in so far has been TRON Legacy 3D and it seemed to be pretty good, but being new to 3D I am not sure what to expect from it. I don't believe there was any crosstalk, there might have been a little ghosting but again, Ill have to spend more time watching 3D to get acquainted with the technology and it's limitations. Most of my watching will be in 2D anyways and this set performs more than exceptionally in that area. Like CGI, I am not expecting 3D to be anything more than a neat gimmick until the technology evolves a little more.

One frustration that I do have is the fact that the 3D glasses time out 4-5 times during a movie. LG in their infinite wisdom gave them a 10 minute timeout if they dont sense any movement, which IMO is much too short a time. They should have set it at 1/2 hour or 3/4 hour, or even skipped on the power saving completely. It's not like people can't just learn to turn the glasses off when done...Or maybe have them turn off when the television set turns off.
post #20 of 137 Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 PM

03.06.05 is the most recent firmware upgrade. I definitely noticed much better improvements on the 3D Front! New LG App launched called 3D Zone although have not played anything on it yet. I am a bit bummed about the Input LAG on COD Black Ops on the XBOX...had to leave the gaming systems on my older (but still kickin-A) Sony Vega. Not too much of a biggy although slightly disappointed. I am sure LEMM is bummed cause is an awesome TV with an obvious caveat for serious gamers.

Used DLNA with the Included free software - Nero Home. Pretty cool...stream content from other devices ie:Laptop to tv without Dongle (which I don't have, nor feel need as of yet).

Been fooling with Settings and still haven't decided which one I like best as of yet but as soon as I decide on at least 2 favs, I will post to share with u guys to share opinions as curious on others tweaks/configs.

I wish was brighter/vivid whites but that's the downside of Plasmas, not necessarily LG's fault, as opposed to LCD/LED TV's.

Still loving the set. Can't wait to get Avatar 3D, but I can wait NOT too pay much for it since Panasonic has lock on it til 2012.

Peace
post #21 of 137 Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM

New firmware update today to 04.00.18 for the LG PZ750.
post #22 of 137 Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

New firmware update today to 04.00.18 for the LG PZ750.

Not yet available through the website.. Do you have a link?
post #23 of 137 Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Shouldn't need a link for the firmware, just check for update on the TV, unless you are like me and looking for what the firmware improves upon.

Have now tried a a dozen or 2 search strings and still no info on what the update improves upon. Seems odd that companies don't just make the info readily available so you know if you actually need the update. That being said, will still probably set the update to go tonight when I get home
post #24 of 137 Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 AM

You are absolutely right about one not being able to know how to find out what improvements, features, enhancements, fixes, etc., comes along with the updates. Wonder if an LG thing only or common for TV manufacturers not to say. It is nice to know what it is your Downloading to you product, WHATEVER it is.

Back to the gaming thing, I am able to play COD BLACK OPS on my 360 with no noticeable lag but only on Expert2 as stated by LEMM. Why not on gaming mode??-who knows, but works fine. Thanks for figuring that out LEMM.

I put all settings/inputs with just scan mode to get all of pics, otherwise it will cut some off if not.
post #25 of 137 Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 AM

...underling, I got a pop up on my tv letting me know that an update was available. Are your settings set to "on" for update notifications?
post #26 of 137 Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 PM

i probably have a pop up on mine as well, I just haven't been home. Some of us poor blokes have to work for a living

(and by work i mean getting paid to read a/v forum posts, lol)
post #27 of 137 Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Installed the firmware last night with no issues, not sure what it improved, but the TV still works
post #28 of 137 Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 PM

I got the 50" LG PZ750 from Amazom two weeks ago, and from the first day I started getting a loss of signal and sound begining when I tried to change channels, I had a standard HDMI cable and switched to a high speed one, eventually the same problem came back and finally changed the cable box, same problem, bad tv? any ideas?
post #29 of 137 Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 AM

Input lag on Lgs are worse than competitors sadly.
post #30 of 137 Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 AM

Sadly the EXPERT setting I discovered is still not enough for me to enjoy playing black ops on PS3. Even directly connected to the tv (sans-AVR). I also have the latest firmware update. I've spent hours on this and it's unfortunate I have this one problem because it really is a nice set. I could easily do without the motion controller though.

I too ordered my 50" through Amazon and thankfully they accept returns with free delivery. A company is coming by my apt tonight to pick it up.

I plan on saving some more money and getting the Panasonic P55GT30. I've read a lot of good reviews on that set as far as performance and input lag.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 50pz750 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page