Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Rogo

Its tempting to argue this back and forth with you but the bottom line is that most people would find the information gathered from the AVS members "good enough" to help them make a purchase decision. Scientifically valid, probably not but doing a scientifically based survey was never a real possibility as you'd have to get that information from Samsung who would never release it to you. If anything, they've told people that they've never heard of this problem.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Will ask dealer for second replacement and option for replacing it with 65" GT30. Very frustrating.
LL
post #363 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had been researching this TV for quite awhile and finally pulled the trigger this morning. Somehow I never saw this thread and I'm worried I will experience this same problem.

On the bright side, at least I know what to look for!

I had cold feet about buying this, so maybe it's a sign. I'll likely return it and wait until there is some official resolution.
post #364 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post

If your previously unaffected set started peeling after 27 days what makes you think any other set won't be peeling 2 years from now? Your ok with taking that plunge?

I like the tv enough to take that chance(it fits perectly into a tv cubby hole and I hate the look of the Panny). If it happens 2 years from now, I will deal with it then...obviously I will keep an eye on it til my return window is over and then I will move on. At the end of the day, it's just a tv.
post #365 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysammy View Post

I like the tv enough to take that chance(it fits perectly into a tv cubby hole and I hate the look of the Panny). If it happens 2 years from now, I will deal with it then...obviously I will keep an eye on it til my return window is over and then I will move on. At the end of the day, it's just a tv.

Actually, at the end of the day it is your money.
post #366 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 AM

I can't believe this. This is a replacement for my PN58C7000 which had two main boards and a panel replaced due to various issues. The latest was horizontal line bleed. Now this?!?! I'm seriously disgusted. I just called Samsung to see what they're going to do now. Never had any issues with my Panasonic ever. While trying to push the bubble down, it left a scratch in the coating that I now can't get out. Really?

Edit: It's top center / right of screen. See picture.
LL
post #367 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

Will ask dealer for second replacement and option for replacing it with 65" GT30. Very frustrating.

Looks exactly how my 3rd unit did, 3 weeks after taking a perfect display out of the box, that is how it looked.
post #368 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Interesting, how many units with the same problem must be returned before the model can be declared a lemon?
post #369 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyxapka View Post

Interesting, how many units with the same problem must be returned before the model can be declared a lemon?

It's not the number of returns that attain lemon status, it's the number of times it's been repaired for the same defect (i think it's 3 times).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #370 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Liked: 11
not trying to make excuses or say that samsung shouldn't fix the problem (it's obviously a manufacturing issue) but has anyone tried crazy glue on the corner? I realize this is only a band-aid but if it holds the corner down and doesn't affect the picture quality then it might be a quick fix (again, you shouldn't have to do this for a top-of-the-line tv but logically it might be the easiest/quickest way to keep the tv and be happy instead of "settling" with another brand/model).
post #371 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheovnien View Post

not trying to make excuses or say that samsung shouldn't fix the problem (it's obviously a manufacturing issue) but has anyone tried crazy glue on the corner? I realize this is only a band-aid but if it holds the corner down and doesn't affect the picture quality then it might be a quick fix (again, you shouldn't have to do this for a top-of-the-line tv but logically it might be the easiest/quickest way to keep the tv and be happy instead of "settling" with another brand/model).

Crazy glue? Would you really want to dangle an excuse in front of Samsung for not replacing it should the screen peel from another area?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #372 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I think Crazy glue would be a bad idea since it can only sustain heat up to 100 degrees or so and these TV's clock in at a much higher temperature you would need some type of adhesive that can sustain high heat. My top right corner is getting worse and just tired of pressing it down and seeing it come right back after a few hours.
post #373 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is it only the D7000 and D8000 models that are having this problem?

Any other models involved?

post #374 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Is it only the D7000 and D8000 models that are having this problem?

Any other models involved?

So far I have only seen reports of these two models.
post #375 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Crazy glue? Would you really want to dangle an excuse in front of Samsung for not replacing it should the screen peel from another area?

i don't see how it would affect a warranty. if it works, then no need to replace. however, if it doesn't work, then it'd be extremely difficult to tell u did anything seeing as crazy glue is very thin and clear. regardless, this shouldn't be happening. this is the main reason i went with the D6500 instead (would have liked the RBF too).
post #376 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The poll is up.

If you are an actual owner, please vote.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1341236

post #377 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troub View Post

So far I have only seen reports of these two models.

Since only the D7000/8000 have the RBF, and this is most likely what is peeling off, it's pretty safe to say only these 2 models are affected. D6500 owners should be safe...if not, someone speak up.
post #378 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 AM

Samsung had better step up to the plate on this one. A 3400+ retail price TV should have no defects especially cosmetic/functional like this. I remeber I had a 91 Camaro Z28 that the paint started peeling, even though it wasn't widley known, GM extended the warranty on the cars and repainted my car 3 years out of warranty.
post #379 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i don't see how it would affect a warranty. if it works, then no need to replace. however, if it doesn't work, then it'd be extremely difficult to tell u did anything seeing as crazy glue is very thin and clear. regardless, this shouldn't be happening. this is the main reason i went with the D6500 instead (would have liked the RBF too).

False. If they take it back, most repair places for high value electronics are perfectly capable of doing chemical analysis. If you put "crazy glue" or anything else there, they will just claim that it was willful damage and tell you you're SOL.
post #380 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM

I wanted to clarify a couple things about the peeling issue.

My 64"D8000 started peeling after 10 days of moderate use.
The True Black film / filter that is peeling is fairly ridged and very well attached to the screen other than in the area that peels. Prior to return I attempted to peel the corner to see what would happen but it would not peel any further even with a force that I felt was close to tearing the film.

Honestly I would describe it as a de-lamination between the screen and film more than a peel. That gives a better picture of what is physically going on.
There is no way that I can see that you could remove the film and replace it as a fix.

While I was able to push down on the upcoming corner and make the bubble appearance disappear I don't think you could ever glue the film down without complete disassembly of the set and application of a high temperature glue and clamp.

My second set arrives tomorrow, if it bubbles I am going to attempt full refund and wait out Samsung fixing the problem (not high hopes). Loved the set in all other ways other than the bubble and high temp of the panel while on.
post #381 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

False. If they take it back, most repair places for high value electronics are perfectly capable of doing chemical analysis. If you put "crazy glue" or anything else there, they will just claim that it was willful damage and tell you you're SOL.

lol you must have had some bad experience with anal repair companies. "chemical analysis" seems a little far-fetched to me for a peeling filter that already came with adhesive on it, especially if it's clear and unnoticable. samsung, on the other hand, might perform a chemical analysis to determine how to improve the adhesive on the filter, but they also have more funds to perform this compared to a "high value electronics repair place". let's just agree to disagree. shall we?
post #382 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 544
JimP, you can run your poll to reassure people/provide them whatever ammo. In this case, it's probably harmless in that some people do actually have a problem. My issue is that I can run a fake poll showing that 10% of any TV on the market is defective. Easily.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #383 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

JimP, you can run your poll to reassure people/provide them whatever ammo. In this case, it's probably harmless in that some people do actually have a problem. My issue is that I can run a fake poll showing that 10% of any TV on the market is defective. Easily.

There is no way we will ever know how many have the issue, as popular as AVSFORUM is I seriously doubt every owner out there is a member, however these polls can be benificial especially to narrow down to certain distributors and/or manufacturing dates that seem more affected. Now if people decide to lie then they are only hurting the integrity of the site, and possibly the consumers themselves.
post #384 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

Somebody has been watching too many CSI episodes.
post #385 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

somebody has been watching too many csi episodes.

+1
post #386 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskekow View Post

There is no way we will ever know how many have the issue, as popular as AVSFORUM is I seriously doubt every owner out there is a member, however these polls can be benificial especially to narrow down to certain distributors and/or manufacturing dates that seem more affected. Now if people decide to lie then they are only hurting the integrity of the site, and possibly the consumers themselves.

If a poll gives would be purchasers some information that helps them decide between the Samsung 7-8000 models and something else, it is well worth it.

This thread holds value in alerting people to at least check for this issue early on in their ownership, while their sets have the best chance of being exchanged.

People love exact science, but you see things like unemployment #s on TV, they haven't actually talked to everyone in America about their employment status. It does give a general indicator of things.

A poll here would do the same. Add a bit for those that did not report, and subtract a bit for the Panny fanboys that just want to make Samsung look bad, and you have some real data in the middle.
post #387 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't watch CSI (as I've said repeatedly, I mostly watch movies). If you don't believe me do a quick google about salt water damage to laptops that can occur during shipment over the ocean. The companies usually claim that the person spilled something in there. Even if it was unrelated to the problem it was being RMA'ed for. It's fairly easy for them to tell if there's a foreign chemical in there and I'd say there's a very high probability that they will check for that once they have the set in their hands before they opt to shell out $2-3k to you either cash or in the form of a replacement set. That's not CSI, that's common sense and awareness of how the world actually works.
post #388 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah....reality check time.

post #389 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah....reality check time.

Right, my "reality check" is having dealt with ******** from companies enough to have learned better and not expect them to do the right thing just because they should. If you want to stick your head in the sand go right ahead...
post #390 of 1203 Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troub View Post

I think Crazy glue would be a bad idea since it can only sustain heat up to 100 degrees or so and these TV’s clock in at a much higher temperature you would need some type of adhesive that can sustain high heat. My top right corner is getting worse and just tired of pressing it down and seeing it come right back after a few hours.

We're talking about the surface of the TV, I don't think that's getting up to 100C that would burn you badly if you touched it (maybe you mean 100F that wouldn't burn but for glue to stop working then would be pretty weak).

Still I wouldn't want to accept a hack glue job on an expensive TV. It will be interesting to see how these fare over time since it seems to be that the peeling grows...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page