Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker socal View Post

I would have said something just out of anger alone. When a retailer has a no question asked return policy it is on them to figure out why an item was returned. Come to think of it I hardly see open box items at BB's in Orange County. I have never seen a tv open returned item, only display open boxes.

The car analogy is way off base.

I have never returned an item to Best Buy (or most anywhere else) where the retailer didn't ask if there was anything wrong. To what question did the returnee answer "poor picture quality"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I have never returned an item to Best Buy (or most anywhere else) where the retailer didn't ask if there was anything wrong. To what question did the returnee answer "poor picture quality"?

Well, I think people are getting way off base here about what he did. I've been to a couple BB's where they refused a legit return and had to come back when a diff manager was working (or else a different store). If you've just driven cross-border and the guy you get seems like they're about to give you a hard time, you're well within your rights to say whatever you want as long as it's covered by the return policy (ie you're not trying to commit return fraud) and you aren't lying.

If I had a penny for every time a retail employee lied to my face or otherwise did something contrary to store policy I'd be a millionaire. This junk about feeling sorry for the store which was probably going to try and give him a hard time or potentially would make him waste $100 more bucks on gas coming back or going to a different BB in case the manager decided to be a royal SOB (which isn't such a strange occurrence as most who've shopped at the store more than buying DVDs at XMAS would know).

This thread is supposed to be about the anti-glare/AR filter peeling off, not about customer rights vs. poor poor corporate giant whose employees would never ever lie to a customer or treat them poorly.

So get back on topic maybe?
post #453 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
In terms of picture quality, which is better the GT30 or D6500/D7000?

I fell in love with a D7000 when I saw it in person and was blown away by a VT30 right next to it. I won't spend for th VT so I am thinking GT now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #454 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Actually, that depends if they're doing their job or not.

There was no questions asked to me, not even 1. I walked in, went to the return counter and was greeted by a girl prob no older than 23 - 25 who asked how she could help me.
I told her i wasn't happy with the quality of the tv i recently purchased and that i would like a refund. She asked me if i wanted to look around for an alternate set and i said no thank you, not today. She said no problem, swiped my card and i was refunded, they could care less of why i was returning it.

She called a guy over that was talking with his other BB buddy about who knows what, the store was empty and they were just killing time doing nothing.
She asked them to make sure it was the good tv in the box and to plug it in to make sure it works. They lifted the top of the box off, left the tv in the foam, plugged it in, turned it on, then shut it off saying "it works". I asked her if she wanted to make sure all the accessories where in the bags e.g. remote, wires, books etc...and she smiled and said "no". So much for caring that i didn't try to steal the remote or something, she couldn't give a crap.

In the end, it was simply a matter of did i want to go into detail about this mysterious peeling or not. After the day i had, i didn't.
I did not 1 thing wrong with this return. It wasn't sneaky, no lies, no fraud, nothing at all. I walked in, showed them my bill, and told them i wasn't happy with it. After explaining the peeling to Samsung already and have them talk to me like I'm crazy or something saying they never heard of such thing, you really think i want to explain this to a 23 old chick behind the counter and get into the technicalities of the glue etc...ya, I was so in the mood for that cause i didn't have a lot on my mind already.

Do i have to start explaining what made me unhappy?? Do i need to tell them i drove 150 miles to return it? Do i need to tell them this tv sucks or that i live in Canada so Samsung wont cover my warranty? What they needed to know was that i was within my return period, I didn't damage or break the tv, and that it was a legitimate return which it was. The only reason why some losers are complaining is that they are worried about the next guy who winds up buying it, if that is really going actually happen or not, no one even knows.

This is a RBF peeling thread, not a moral class. For those of you who want to stir up trouble and de-thread this like you already have, go find another forum to play on.

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #455 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Shop Nordstrom's don't believe I have ever been asked for a reason for any return.
post #456 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

In terms of picture quality, which is better the GT30 or D6500/D7000?

I fell in love with a D7000 when I saw it in person and was blown away by a VT30 right next to it. I won't spend for th VT so I am thinking GT now

My girlfriends father just got a 55" gt30 and the picture is amazing in thx. So far his panny hasn't had any of the problems ppl are complaining about. Going to set the tv up with custom mode with a calibration disc. Only seen the samsung in BB, it looked pretty impressive also.
post #457 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

A moderator will just come in here and delete ALL off-topic posts, what you post here today might not exist tomorrow! Think about it...

post #458 of 1203 Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

A moderator will just come in here and delete ALL off-topic posts, what you post here today might not exist tomorrow! Think about it...

One can hope....

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #459 of 1203 Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Including this one
post #460 of 1203 Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

If you think Samsung will "make a profit" on thousands of TVs they have to ship around and either pitch or fix then sell as remanufactured you should probably rethink that.

Profit margins on CE devices (execpt apple) aren't that great.

You need to read the post before responding to it.

Samsung profits by selling their defective inventory. Recalling the affected sets would cost them profit dollars by having to repair them.

BB won't likely be affected as they return these sets rather than reselling them.

Bottom line is that there is a financial incentive for the manufacturer to continue to sell inventory that has a defect. Their customer service people don't admit that there is a known issue, but do handle the warranty claim (unlike their cracked screen problem with these sets).

In fairness to manufacturers, I've never experienced one that admitted to a known problem, even though it was a common issue with a particular model.
post #461 of 1203 Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

You need to read the post before responding to it.

Samsung profits by selling their defective inventory. Recalling the affected sets would cost them profit dollars by having to repair them.

BB won't likely be affected as they return these sets rather than reselling them.

Bottom line is that there is a financial incentive for the manufacturer to continue to sell inventory that has a defect. Their customer service people don't admit that there is a known issue, but do handle the warranty claim (unlike their cracked screen problem with these sets).

In fairness to manufacturers, I've never experienced one that admitted to a known problem, even though it was a common issue with a particular model.

I have had to deal with manufacturers well known issues and they always say, "This is the first I've heard of it", it almost seems like their reading from a script. I always respond by saying, "I seriously doubt that"!

Techlord

post #462 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Please vote in the new revised Samsung D7000/8000 screen peeling poll.

Not enought people were providing the built date information and the new poll requires that in order to vote.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1342438

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #463 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Location: Raised in San Jose, CA live in Manteca CA currently
Hello Fellow Peelers, got my replacement screen about two weeks ago. Sorry for the delay in posting and follow up on our gripes. So far so good and no new problems that I know of. My fingers are crossed for this one not to peal. I have not done a 24hr run test with burn in slides. If this screen can handle that a few times I might be able to put this issue behind me. Here are two pictures for the curious. The first one is the guts of the 64D8000 and 2nd is the replacement unit.
LL
LL
post #464 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 03:08 PM

So, my PN59D7000 arrived today from Amazon. I didn't hear about this peeling issue until right after I ordered it, so needless to say I was nervous!

Upon delivery I had the guys take the TV out of the box so I could inspect it (with a tactical LED flashlight!), and was relieved to find absolutely NO signs of peeling/bubbling so far.

... so far.

I'm going to calibrate it a bit, watch a few shows, play a few games and see what happens once it gets heated up and cools down.

Oh and I couldn't find a build date on the back -- where should I be looking?

Thanks!
post #465 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyscalefade View Post
So, my PN59D7000 arrived today from Amazon. I didn't hear about this peeling issue until right after I ordered it, so needless to say I was nervous!

Upon delivery I had the guys take the TV out of the box so I could inspect it (with a tactical LED flashlight!), and was relieved to find absolutely NO signs of peeling/bubbling so far.

... so far.

I'm going to calibrate it a bit, watch a few shows, play a few games and see what happens once it gets heated up and cools down.

Oh and I couldn't find a build date on the back -- where should I be looking?

Thanks!
If you're looking at the back, it'll be on the sticker on the far left hand side about half way up.
post #466 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi64 View Post
Hello Fellow Peelers, got my replacement screen about two weeks ago. Sorry for the delay in posting and follow up on our gripes. So far so good and no new problems that I know of. My fingers are crossed for this one not to peal. I have not done a 24hr run test with burn in slides. If this screen can handle that a few times I might be able to put this issue behind me. Here are two pictures for the curious. The first one is the guts of the 64D8000 and 2nd is the replacement unit.
Ok, I spoke to soon. DAMN You Samsung. My replacement is pealing in the same exact spot. The top right corner and one pixel into my screen. Why Why Why meeeee...
post #467 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ Bummer..

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #468 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok, I spoke to soon. DAMN You Samsung. My replacement is pealing in the same exact spot. The top right corner and one pixel into my screen. Why Why Why meeeee...

April built date?

How many hours did you have it running before it became apparant?

Please don't forget to vote in the revised poll.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #469 of 1203 Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think its going to be a several months at least before Samsung actually addresses this peeling issue, the sooner they admit that there is a problem the sooner the replacement will be. You had it for less than a day before it started peeling, this doesn't look good! Bummer in the summer!

Techlord

post #470 of 1203 Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
April built date?

How many hours did you have it running before it became apparant?

Please don't forget to vote in the revised poll.

I did not log the hours this go around and it was april build and Yes I did use the updated poll.

Called Samsung, and they are finally confirming there are some others out there with same issue. They are still gathering data and have no problem replacing the Screen again. I will wait till the peal enters the viewing screen are or wait till they figure out which are the bad LCD dates and fixed the issue.

What should I do fellow big dollar droppers?
post #471 of 1203 Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 AM

I am still holding onto my original April TV which started peeling several weeks into use. I have already refused delivery of 2 replacements (May production) which came delivered with peels on the top left corner. Wondering if I BB has a bad batch?? Looking into other TV's but nothing appeals to me.
post #472 of 1203 Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebi64 View Post

I will wait till the peal enters the viewing screen are or wait till they figure out which are the bad lcd dates and fixed the issue.
lcd??

post #473 of 1203 Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did not log the hours this go around and it was april build and Yes I did use the updated poll.

Called Samsung, and they are finally confirming there are some others out there with same issue. They are still gathering data and have no problem replacing the Screen again. I will wait till the peal enters the viewing screen are or wait till they figure out which are the bad LCD dates and fixed the issue.

What should I do fellow big dollar droppers?
Plasma is plasma, LCD is liquid crystal display. They are both flat panels, but they are totally different technology. Besides plasma is older so if you want to inaccurately call one by the other's name, you ought to be calling LCD's plasmas.
post #474 of 1203 Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

Plasma is plasma, LCD is liquid crystal display. They are both flat panels, but they are totally different technology. Besides plasma is older so if you want to inaccurately call one by the other's name, you ought to be calling LCD's plasmas.

Ooops wash my mouth out with soap. Using the "L" word when I am a true Plasma man. My apologies....
post #475 of 1203 Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysammy View Post

I am still holding onto my original April TV which started peeling several weeks into use. I have already refused delivery of 2 replacements (May production) which came delivered with peels on the top left corner. Wondering if I BB has a bad batch?? Looking into other TV's but nothing appeals to me.

I've been meaning to ask... for those who bought from BB, were the boxes brand new sealed with plastic tied around it? I ask because my original was but the subsequent 2 was not ( 1 was actually cut open with a box cutter in the front). They claim that the warehouse policy is to check that all screens are not cracked before being put on the truck. Now, I would NEVER have taken delivery of my original purchase had it been delivered that way... I'm just wondering if they're just passing around all the returns???
post #476 of 1203 Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:

Ooops wash my mouth out with soap. Using the "L" word when I am a true Plasma man. My apologies....

Lesbians are totally allowed to enjoy plasma TVs. They are open to all sexual orientations.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #477 of 1203 Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnysammy View Post
I've been meaning to ask... for those who bought from BB, were the boxes brand new sealed with plastic tied around it? I ask because my original was but the subsequent 2 was not ( 1 was actually cut open with a box cutter in the front). They claim that the warehouse policy is to check that all screens are not cracked before being put on the truck. Now, I would NEVER have taken delivery of my original purchase had it been delivered that way... I'm just wondering if they're just passing around all the returns???
Not true!!! My PND8000 was from Best Buy and it had 2 White plastic ties around it completely sealed. You can tell it was never opened and it was shipped this way from Samsung. I was able to look in their back store and all the tv's that i could see on the floor all had the White tie wraps. If they opened your box to look for a broken screen, that in my opinion would make it an "open box".

I asked another company who i was considering buying my replacement D8000 from since the 1st one i had peeled, i asked if i could open it to simply see the build date hoping it would be June or sooner but they told me that once i cut the White tie wraps, it's mine and they can't sell it as new..not sure how true that was but that is what i was told.

Hope this helps a little.

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #478 of 1203 Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hadn't noticed any problems on my Sammy but decided to look it over inch by inch with a flashlight. I noticed an air bubble/peeling. It's very small. I wouldn't have noticed it without extremely close inspection.

I'm not sure what to do now. I sent an email to Chris at Cleveland Plasma to see what he suggests but at this point (1 month later) I'm guessing I'll need to go straight to Samsung. And it doesn't sound like Samsung understands what's causing this problem either. Part of me is thinking this is something I should live with. After all, perfect is often the enemy of good. I could wind up with a worse problem.

post #479 of 1203 Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
I have a Samsung D8000 and don't have any problem either. There are only a small handful of people on this forum that have this problem with the Samsungs.
Hope it stays that way. I was responding to a post about someone inquiring about replacing sammy plasma to panny.
post #480 of 1203 Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Replacement panel being installed as I type this. Original panel's manufactured date was 5-11-2011. Replacement is 4-25-2011. I carefully inspected the replacement and there are no bubbles or imperfections. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page