Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1_2 View Post

you can buy ar filters? Any links? Do they actually work?

I know nothing on the subject really, so i just thought it'd be funny to have a tech show up, only to tell you that it's the protective plastic, and you just have to peel it off.

there is no protective plastic on the screen!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

I know, but WOULDN'T THAT BE FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #33 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

This set has a march 2011 build date, so I don't think there is a newer configuration than this. Abes told me that any replacement screen under the samsung warranty would be new, not refurbished, so I'm going this route because of that and because it's an in home warranty, and really because the defect doesn't affect the picture quality at this point so I'm not in a huge hurry. The service company is waiting for further info direct from samsung before deciding what to do.
post #34 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You can buy AR filters? Any links? Do they actually work?

I know nothing on the subject really, so I just thought it'd be funny to have a tech show up, only to tell you that it's the protective plastic, and you just have to peel it off.

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...t=custom+metal
post #35 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He was replying to my post not yours I believe.

Quote:

I know, but WOULDN'T THAT BE FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can, see the link in my post 1 above this. They work, but they won't be as good as a high end filter the premium models typically come with.
post #36 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yes that would be funny. I could see it possibly being a film that samsung uses to protect the glass only during manufacturing that they forgot to remove on some batch of sets. I always thought anti glare coatings were evaporated on as well. Will just have to wait and see.
post #37 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:

You can buy AR filters? Any links? Do they actually work?

I know nothing on the subject really, so I just thought it'd be funny to have a tech show up, only to tell you that it's the protective plastic, and you just have to peel it off.

Yes they work, and are made from some of the same materials that the TV mfg's use. I will find some good links and post them later. Be prepared though, they are not cheap, about 150 dollars for a 50 inch.

http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant...e=MXA-5375-01K

another

http://www.nushield.com/manufacturer...erid=Samsung++

you can find lots of others, just google "ar film plasma tv"
post #38 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton111 View Post

This set has a march 2011 build date, so I don't think there is a newer configuration than this. Abes told me that any replacement screen under the samsung warranty would be new, not refurbished, so I'm going this route because of that and because it's an in home warranty, and really because the defect doesn't affect the picture quality at this point so I'm not in a huge hurry. The service company is waiting for further info direct from samsung before deciding what to do.

I have a March build and an April build. The March build was the one with the defective screen coating and the April one is fine. Unfortunately, they both BUZZZZZZZZ.
post #39 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is not necessarily true. My local authorized Samsung repair station told me that there is no way to know if the panel is new or refurbished. Now since the TV is new to the market chances are good that it will be new, but you could get a refurbished one too if they happen to ship one. There is no way to guarantee a new one. In my case, since I could return the tv easily I opted that route since I did not want the 30 days to expire before Samsung authorized and a replacement panel was installed. Also the fact that I did not know for sure whether the panel would be new of refurbished bothered me a bit. I guess I will wait for reviews to come out before I buy again. Also will take a look at the Panny vt30. The D8000 does show a nice pic tho. In total darkness, the blacks look unimpressive however (hard thing to accomplish anyway).
post #40 of 1203 Old 05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Abes told me that any replacement screen under the samsung warranty would be new, not refurbished, so I'm going this route because of that and because it's an in home warranty, and really because the defect doesn't affect the picture quality at this point so I'm not in a huge hurry. The service company is waiting for further info direct from samsung before deciding what to do.

People say lots of things; it's not like they would be doing the repair, anyway.

Quote:

That is not necessarily true. My local authorized Samsung repair station told me that there is no way to know if the panel is new or refurbished. Now since the TV is new to the market chances are good that it will be new, but you could get a refurbished one too if they happen to ship one. There is no way to guarantee a new one.

Exactly. The terms of every TV (and other electronics) warranty I've ever read, have said that they can use new or refurb. components.
post #41 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Looking at the shape of it, it sure looks like a seperate protective layer of plastic.

Something that was sprayed on, wouldn't life up like that.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #42 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 AM

If i look closely, my top two corners are "lifted" up a tiny little bit. Maybe a quarter inch in each corner. Anyone else see this if they look closely? Is it something I should be that picky about?

here is a picture...looks worse in this photo then in person, but the top two corners are like this. The "peel" doesn't reach the actual screen yet. Keep in mind, thus far I have no buzzing or bad pixels...
LL
post #43 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Boy i agree with JimP - that last picture sure does look like that stiff protective mylar film that comes on small LCD TVs. It looks like mylar, it doesn't seem like a bonded filter lifting off the screen's surface. This is very curious.

Has anyone checked with Samsung to see if they're now adding a removable sheet of plastic on their screens that the buyer is supposed to remove when unpacking the TV?

Is there anything in the manual about it?

If you pull on it is it stiff like those protective LCD films or is it soft and pliable?

Has anyone had a repair man over to check this peeling to see what it is?

Has anyone asked Samsung if this might be a protective film that should have been removed during the TV's assembly but inadvertently left in place by mistake?

Has anyone had the balls to just pull on it and see what happens?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #44 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 AM

I will call samsung on my lunch hour to ask if there is indeed a film. I really rather not have to exchange the TV. I am in a 19th floor apartment.
post #45 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Returned a PN59D700 to Vanns with the same problem. The bubble grew during the week that I had the set. Vanns took care of everything and sent a replacement which arrived in 3 days. Great service. Great TV.
post #46 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 AM

I have the exact same peeling as dvrstrng but in the top right corner.

Posted about it here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20478980

It really looks like a protective film to me, it is not a coating, but in fact it seems thicker and more rigid than the film that was on the bezel. I almost just pulled it off but then decided to check the manual and no mention of it so I got paranoid and posted.

If you hear from Samsung either way let me know. The picture is perfect though and really hate to go through the pain of replacing the screen only to get one that buzzes or other flaws.

I did have a cell phone a couple years ago that had a protector film on the screen I didn't notice for 6 months.

Seems 50/50 to me that this is a new cheaper anti glare film that is suppose to stay on and is failing or that they had a batch go out with a protective film that either wasn't removed at the factory or stuck so well its not obvious that it need to be removed.
post #47 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

First thing I want to say is never buy from abes of maine. They do not stand behind their own word. When I told the customer service rep that the salesman specifically told me they would swap the tv at no cost to me if "anything" was wrong with it, the response I got was "yeah, but you should have specifically asked about this problem. We only exchange tvs if the screens are cracked." If their word means nothing and they can't act in a fair way, there is no point dealing with them.

Now on to the actual issue resolution...

My ticket got assigned to another service company. They tell me it is in fact an antiglare film that wasn't applied right. At any rate, it is not supposed to lift up like that. Fixing it would require replacing the plasma panel within the set. The tv model is so new that there are no refurbished sets or parts to replace the panel, so I will be getting a new complete set. They just have to wait until monday to say they waited for the non existing parts to come off back order.

In the end, samsung is taking care of it to my satisfaction due to the fact that no refurb parts exist yet. Abes of maine has no integrity and does not take care of its customer in a fair way when push really comes to shove. Abes has no problem refusing return of defective merchandise. Buyer beware.
post #48 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First thing I want to say is never by from abes of maine. They do not stand behind their own word. When I told the customer service rep that the salesman specifically told me they would swap the tv at no cost to me if "anything" was wrong with it, the response I got was "yeah, but you should have specifically asked about this problem. We only exchange tvs if the screens are cracked." If their word means nothing and they can't act in a fair way, there is no point dealing with them.

Now on to the actual issue resolution...

My ticket got assigned to another service company. They tell me it is in fact an antiglare film that wasn't applied right. At any rate, it is not supposed to lift up like that. Fixing it would require replacing the plasma panel within the set. The tv model is so new that there are no refurbished sets or parts to replace the panel, so I will be getting a new complete set. They just have to wait until monday to say they waited for the non existing parts to come off back order.

In the end, samsung is taking care of it to my satisfaction due to the fact that no refurb parts exist yet. Abes of maine has no integrity and does not take care of its customer in a fair way when push really comes to shove. Abes has no problem refusing return of defective merchandise. Buyer beware.

Are they replacing the panel with a new one and replacing the whole tv? Good that you are being taken care of and you should call Abes and tell me them to shove it and that as long as you live, you will deter folks from buying from that ****** joint!!
post #49 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are they replacing the panel with a new one and replacing the whole tv? Good that you are being taken care of and you should call Abes and tell me them to shove it and that as long as you live, you will deter folks from buying from that ****** joint!!

It will be an entire tv set, because at this early in the model year there are not yet replacement panels. The replacement part is on back order so I'll just get a whole new set.
post #50 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well sh1t. What do you know, the "part" came in and there is no way to know if it's new or not. Most likely it is new since the model is so new that refurbished screens coming in from customers is not likely, but there is supposedly no way to be 100% sure. They will be at my house tomorrow to swap the plasma panel into my existing set.

Once again, Abes of Maine is not to be trusted. I did not buy the set online. I bought it on the phone by talking one on one with a sales person about the set, what was included, and verifying I would be covered if the set arrived defective in any way. The set came to me defective. I noticed and called within 2 business days, and they refused to accept it back. They wouldn't even go talk to the sales rep who promised me they'd swap the set free of charge if *anything* was wrong with it. They robotically quoted their "policy" of ONLY replacing sets with cracked glass as if having an unposted policy (since I didn't buy online, and the guy told my a completely different "policy") somehow entitled them to feel smug about sticking me with merchandise that was defective on arrival. Whatever. They don't even list the set on their site anymore. At this point, I honestly have more faith in the quality of the replacement panel from the repair company than I do in Abes of Maine to send me a legitimate replacement set even if they said they would.
post #51 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Called Samsung today with the same problem on my 59D8000. I'll let everyone know the outcome when it's over.
LL

Later Lenbo
post #52 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenbo View Post

Called Samsung today with the same problem on my 59D8000. I'll let everyone know the outcome when it's over.

Where did you buy?

Did you try going through them first? Is it over a month old?
post #53 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM

I am on the phone with best buy. They are telling me in order to bring me a new 64D7000 which is not in stock, I would have to pay $350 for black tie so that i can keep this TV until they deliver the new one here.
post #54 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenbo View Post

Nice African Grey parrot!
post #55 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Im debating swapping this TV out for the same unit. Seems like these TVs have quite a few problems
post #56 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Got the tv from hhgregg. Called Samsung not hhgregg because it's a Samsung defect not hh.

Yea thats my bird Webster,he's a real clown.

Later Lenbo
post #57 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

When they get here to swap the panel, I will ask if they can try peeling off the coating on the existing panel to see what it is. Although, Samsung online service chat just told me I needed to get the set serviced in order to address the issue in the image.
post #58 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When they get here to swap the panel, I will ask if they can try peeling off the coating on the existing panel to see what it is. Although, Samsung online service chat just told me I needed to get the set serviced in order to address the issue in the image.

Auto,

You really need to complain to BBB and also write a long letter to Abes threatening legal action.....
post #59 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Damn this problem seems more frequent than I thought!!!!
post #60 of 1203 Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post

I am on the phone with best buy. They are telling me in order to bring me a new 64D7000 which is not in stock, I would have to pay $350 for black tie so that i can keep this TV until they deliver the new one here.

I think that's a lie. If BB delivered your original/defective TV and you want them to exchange it, what they usually do is pick up the defective TV when they deliver the replacement TV under the normal terms of their 30 day return policy, whether you've bought a warranty or not.

Call back and talk to a manager - and don't mention the previous call where they tried to trick you into buying their black tie warranty.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page