Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1203 Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd4333 View Post

First time poster, but I've been following this discussion closely for a few weeks now, as I am in the market for a new plasma and probably would have purchased a D7000 already if it weren't for this issue.

It's worth noting that merchandise sold by third-party merchants but fulfilled by Amazon is subject to Amazon's own return policy, not the policies of the merchant. So if something goes wrong, at least within the first 30 days, you deal directly with Amazon and can avail yourself of Amazon's fairly accommodating return policy.

On a different note, I've looked these TVs at two local BBs/Magnolias, and didn't see any peeling (though I didn't inspect with a fine-tooth comb). The sales person at one location said he was generally aware of the problem but hadn't had any returns for it.

I see that what you say about Amazon is true, per Amazon's own policies under the "Fulfilled by Amazon" guidelines. That's reassuring to a point.

I can concur that the TVs at my local Magnolia/BB also lacked any peeling. At my Magnolia, however, the head person in charge had no idea what I was talking about.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I spoke to the company that's going to be doing the repair on my 64D8000 this morning. They are ordering a new screen and will install it next Wednesday as it takes 7-10 business days to receive the part. Not sure about replacing the screen, hopefully the tech knows what he's doing. If the tv is brand new after its done I'll be happy
post #723 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

I spoke to the company that's going to be doing the repair on my 64D8000 this morning. They are ordering a new screen and will install it next Wednesday as it takes 7-10 business days to receive the part. Not sure about replacing the screen, hopefully the tech knows what he's doing. If the tv is brand new after its done I'll be happy

I guess the good news for those of us in the market for this set is that Samsung is going to have to fix this problem in the manufacturing process, I would think. I mean, they can't really afford to be sending out techs to replace screens in a whole bunch of TV's. That's certainly not a long-term solution that is profitable.
post #724 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

I guess the good news for those of us in the market for this set is that Samsung is going to have to fix this problem in the manufacturing process, I would think. I mean, they can't really afford to be sending out techs to replace screens in a whole bunch of TV's. That's certainly not a long-term solution that is profitable.

Yeah I (and Samsung) went through a similar thing with the Bell Galaxy S Vibrant I9000M phone. SD cards failing all over the place. Samsung replaced the boards in many units but ultimately even the replacements were not good until they were getting non-defective SD chips from manufacturing.

It may be that owners are better off to either rid themselves of the TV for now or wait until there are known reliable screens and then have the replacement/repair done.
post #725 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Smitty, it'd be nice to have some shred of evidence the problem is indeed fixed at mfg. For example, there are hints Sony figured out the "crease" issue on their LCDs and is no longer shipping units with it. Hints only, perhaps, but a plausible explanation and suggestions the new units lack the problem.

My hypothetical 64D7000 awaits reports of the fix.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #726 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 PM

I just got off the phone with a 'manager' over at Samsung customer service. She called me after I told a CSR through livechat to have a supervisor call me.
She was very nice, and seemed like she knew what she was talking about. I explained to her the problem and what other people are experiencing with the D7000 & D8000 64" & 59" plasma TVs.(peeling)

She told me she IS aware of the problem, and so are many of the much 'higher up' people(obviously). She said she has received several emails regarding this issue. In fact, she said right before calling me she received one from a customer regarding this same issue. She also explained that she believes it has just been a bad batch of TVs and that she expects future production of the 2011 TVs to be greatly improved in quality so this issue won't be an issue.

I was very surprised by her honesty and knowledge. I was expecting her to say the usual "O NO I HAVENT HURD OF THIS PROBLAM???"

This is great news to me, as I am planning on purchasing a 59 D8000 in the next month or two.
post #727 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Smitty, it'd be nice to have some shred of evidence the problem is indeed fixed at mfg. For example, there are hints Sony figured out the "crease" issue on their LCDs and is no longer shipping units with it. Hints only, perhaps, but a plausible explanation and suggestions the new units lack the problem.

My hypothetical 64D7000 awaits reports of the fix.

Sony kept claiming to have fixed the SXRD issues too..that went on for several years until they finally just quit making them. The peeling issue should be much easier and quicker to solve, but these big companies tend to move pretty slow in addressing problems. I'd not buy until it's clear that it has been dealt with.
post #728 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Alan, I agree. I keep putting one in the cart at Amazon and keep not clicking buy. It's fantastic to see some small evidence Samsung is aware of the problem at a higher level. It's essential, however, for them to demonstrate that they've fixed it going forward. If not, there are alternative products... I'd like something for fall: new episodic TV, football (maybe), etc.

post #729 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alan, I agree. I keep putting one in the cart at Amazon and keep not clicking buy.

I've got one in my cart in Amazon too. I'm just waiting for someone to say, "It's been confirmed; there are no peeling issues on the [month] builds."
post #730 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alan, I agree. I keep putting one in the cart at Amazon and keep not clicking buy. It's fantastic to see some small evidence Samsung is aware of the problem at a higher level. It's essential, however, for them to demonstrate that they've fixed it going forward. If not, there are alternative products... I'd like something for fall: new episodic TV, football (maybe), etc.

Hold the trigger for now!
post #731 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 02:04 PM

I placed my order, since I had one of those 20% off HDTV's at Amazon. I figure if the 1-2 month wait holds, hopefully those won't have an issue. If they do, then I'll deal with the hassle of exchanging/repairing them, as the price I paid will still be worth it.
post #732 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

The peeling issue should be much easier and quicker to solve, but these big companies tend to move pretty slow in addressing problems. I'd not buy until it's clear that it has been dealt with.

I work in the logistics field and the supply chain can be quite long/complex with numerous 'partners' involved so yes, it can take some time to 'purge and resupply' the pipeline lol

it might be awhile just to get fixed panels on a ship from Asia then sailing time, delivered to the assembler in Mexico or where ever etc.
post #733 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well I just found out that my technician ordered a new bezel. I called and complained that its not the bezel but the screen. The tech company says that Samsung specifically said they wont cover damage to the panel as that is "physical damage." I told them that it's not physical damage, it's bubbling.

The tech company is going to send somebody out tomorrow afternoon to check it out and take pictures. (I wish they had done that from the beginning).

so I'm pretty POed right now. So much for David_B's belief that Samsung is taking care of the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #734 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempulse View Post
I just got off the phone with a 'manager' over at Samsung customer service. She called me after I told a CSR through livechat to have a supervisor call me.
She was very nice, and seemed like she knew what she was talking about. I explained to her the problem and what other people are experiencing with the D7000 & D8000 64" & 59" plasma TVs.(peeling)

She told me she IS aware of the problem, and so are many of the much 'higher up' people(obviously). She said she has received several emails regarding this issue. In fact, she said right before calling me she received one from a customer regarding this same issue. She also explained that she believes it has just been a bad batch of TVs and that she expects future production of the 2011 TVs to be greatly improved in quality so this issue won't be an issue.

I was very surprised by her honesty and knowledge. I was expecting her to say the usual "O NO I HAVENT HURD OF THIS PROBLAM???"

This is great news to me, as I am planning on purchasing a 59 D8000 in the next month or two.
What was the manager's name?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #735 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
What was the manager's name?
I can't remember, she gave me a wake up call around 12pm(lol).
post #736 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I just found out that my technician ordered a new bezel.
Quote:
So much for David_B's belief that Samsung is taking care of the issue.
Maybe David_B is the tech guy.
post #737 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Another update: Livechat person is telling me a supervisor can't call. Says they don't have that ability. They did take my photos and updated my service ticket so that the tech could look at my panel without threatening to make me pay. But after insisting five times, he said he'd elevate it to a supervisor.

So they updated my service ticket with an updated description of the problem but still wont admit they've heard of the problem. One hour of my time for that.

post #738 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Alright, now I have a real gem of a conversation with a CSR via Live Chat.

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Mathew M'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK538097665X

Mathew M: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Jeff: Hi Mathew, I'm messaging you regarding the common issue of screen peeling on the PND7000, and PND8000 59" and 64" Plasma TVs.

Jeff: The coating on the screen which is put on to prevent excessive glaring is peeling off on numerous customers sets.

Mathew M: Thank you for the information.

Jeff: I know you and your company have knowledge of this recurring problem as I'm sure I'm not the first customer you have encountered with this problem.

Mathew M: I understand the situation.

Jeff: I talked with someone from a call center in Greensville, NC today and she seemed to be a supervisor. Or definitely someone who is running things in the call center. She said she is aware of this problem and has received quite a few emails regarding this problem.

Mathew M: Okay.

Jeff: My question to you is, do you know of any possible fixes in the near future for this common problem?

Jeff: For instance, if I were to wait a few months and order my TV. Do you think the newer built/later production dated TV's will have this issue sorted out and fixed?

Jeff: Because I would really like to purchase from Samsung, I am just not really one for returning a TV 3 or 4 times for such an easy fix in the production line.

Mathew M: I understand that, this issue is reported issue for the above models.

Mathew M: This issue can be resolved through normal repair service.

Mathew M: Could you please provide me the complete model number of the unit?

Jeff: You admit that you have had other customers reporting this problem as well?

Mathew M: As per our database the above models are affected for this type of issues.

Mathew M: I will the service request behalf of you.

Jeff: You are saying others, besides me have reported their D7000 and D8000 as having screen peeling issues?

Mathew M: Yes, you are correct.

Mathew M: It will be soon resolved by our development team engineers.

Mathew M: They are working on the following issue.

Jeff: So if I were buy a D8000 plasma in the next 3 or 4 months, after the problem has been addressed and/or fixed. Peeling should not be an issue?

Mathew M: As of now, our engineers are working on this issue, I am not sure about the time frame.
post #739 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm a "glass half-full" type of guy, but this seems like good news, relatively speaking. They are aware of the problem, and they have engineers working on a prospective solution. That seems like substantial progress from a week or ten days ago.
post #740 of 1203 Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just found out that my technician ordered a new bezel. I called and complained that its not the bezel but the screen. The tech company says that Samsung specifically said they wont cover damage to the panel as that is "physical damage." I told them that it's not physical damage, it's bubbling.

The tech company is going to send somebody out tomorrow afternoon to check it out and take pictures. (I wish they had done that from the beginning).

so I'm pretty POed right now. So much for David_B's belief that Samsung is taking care of the issue.

Why is it that Samsung always brings up the phrase, "we do not cover damage to the panel as that is "physical damage." Are they reading from a scripted?

post #741 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Why is it that Samsung always brings up the phrase, "we do not cover damage to the panel as that is "physical damage." Are they reading from a scripted?

probably..

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #742 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

I think the presumption is that if its physical damage then it occurred after delivery. i.e. You're playing beer pong and a stray ball hits the screen.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #743 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Samsung has used the "physical damage" loophole to get out of replacing panels that have developed internal cracks.

They might have had a meeting between the screen coating guy and the cracked screen guy and figured out that this is a good way to save some bucks on warranty issues.

If Samsung is like any other modern company, they have metrics on the warranty costs associated with each of their products. Excess costs likely affect bonus amounts for those working on the product.

Hope not.
post #744 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it's something they are required to tell the customer when the customer reports a problem that cannot be found in their database. The way it works is that you give a description of the problem. The CSR does some "research" which I assumes means they look for other reported problems in some database. If they don't find anything, they tell you they don't cover physical damage (whether it was before or after delivery). This is especially true with the panel itself.

I had a live chat with a CSR yesterday. I provided a list of other transaction numbers. He still said there were no such problems. I asked for a copy of the chatlog but it was never emailed to me for some strange reason.

post #745 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had a live chat with a CSR yesterday. I provided a list of other transaction numbers. He still said there were no such problems.
Wow, that's surprising. Maybe you should read or send him the text of Gempulse's chat and tell him that he should talk to someone who can get him in the loop.
post #746 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, some good news for once. The service tech company called me today and said they couldn't do the service call because Samsung had cancelled my ticket number. That didn't seem like good news at first, especially after I spent an hour in webchat last night with Samsung trying to get this resolved. The webchat CSR told me to use the same ticket #. So I called Samsung and spoke to a rep named Steven (Stephan?). He then told me that my ticket number had been closed as "repaired." I explained the problem and he then said he has personally heard of the problem, recently, in fact. He said Samsung is aware of the "delamination" problem on the 59" and 64" 8000 and 7000 series screens and Samsung is covering it. He opened a new ticket number and personally called the service company to inform them that Samsung is covering the screen and the bezel (just in case they also had to replace the bezel after making the screen repair). So I got a new ticket #.

Steven, the CSR, also said that this is a known issue on a limited number of sets (he said Samsung sold 2 million sets last month). Steven believed it was a problem with the adhesive being used. I'm not sure if he based that on his own speculation or based it on some internal discussion about the problem or both.

So in the end, it turned out to be a good thing that my original ticket number was canceled.

post #747 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM

2,000,000 Sets at say $1,200 wholesale or even $1,000 wholesale would be $2BB in sales for one month, for one product. If that's right, Samsung is doing great business. He's probably referring to the TOTAL number of all models sold by samsung. Still, that's a big number.
post #748 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
There is no magical self cracking screen problem.

Nobody with one of these that's been refused because it was obviously hit, as is seen by the tell tail circular "bullseye" cracking common with physical hits, have posted a picture ANYWHERE on the entire internet showing some other form of cracking (such as stress cracks).

Samsung has fixed stress cracked units, which show semi-random cracks which can't be pinpointed by a bullseye radial crack.

This isn't a "loophole" this is a large CE company that sells 2 million glass screen TVs a month. How many of those do you suppose get cracked by the customer who then trys to get a new TV claiming they didn't do it?

This kind of hoggwash goes on all the time in every retail biziness. Ask Toyota and Audi about the thousands of "sudden unintended acceleration" claims that all ended up being faulse.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...?csp=obnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
Samsung has used the "physical damage" loophole to get out of replacing panels that have developed internal cracks.

They might have had a meeting between the screen coating guy and the cracked screen guy and figured out that this is a good way to save some bucks on warranty issues.

If Samsung is like any other modern company, they have metrics on the warranty costs associated with each of their products. Excess costs likely affect bonus amounts for those working on the product.

Hope not.

buytme
post #749 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Toyota and Audi spent billions on bogus "sudden acceleration" claims between lawsuits, lost sales, unnecessary recalls, etc. It very very nearly killed Audi USA, which has made one of the great comebacks in business history.

post #750 of 1203 Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 AM

here's some good progression 64D7000:

maybe 20-30 hours of use:

another 10 hours and this is how she looks:

that second "bubble" the one on the right sure is growing. I'm working with my dealer on a replacement. May 2011 build. my viewing room is has been blazing hot this past week with the weather not sure if that's helping speed this process up or not.

these pictures have also been sent to samsung live support team their response was and this only took about 5min "see if your dealer has a return policy if not we will set up a service call you have a defective tv."
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page