Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I think that's a lie. If BB delivered your original/defective TV and you want them to exchange it, what they usually do is pick up the defective TV when they deliver the replacement TV under he normal terms of their 30 day return policy, whether you've bought a warranty or not.

Call back and talk to a manager - and don't mention the previous call where they tried to trick you into buying their black tie warranty.

I asked for a manager and suddenly the problem was fixed....new TV will be here friday and they will take away the old one. I am worried this next one is going to have something else wrong. Are there people that actually have TVs that; dont buzz, no bad pixels, no screen peeling, and no line bleed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post

I asked for a manager and suddenly the problem was fixed....new TV will be here friday and they will take away the old one. I am worried this next one is going to have something else wrong. Are there people that actually have TVs that; dont buzz, no bad pixels, no screen peeling, and no line bleed?

Yes, there really are. I had a flawless 59D6500 that, in my infinite wisdom, decided I should return for a D7000 to get the RBF (room is pretty bright). The D7000 was a big buzzer so it went back. Unfortunately, they were then out of stock so had to wait 3+ weeks for BB to get another in. They were quite nice about it and suggested I buy another set to return when mine came in just so I wasn't without a TV for nearly a month (decided on a smaller LCD to hold me over... easy enough to handle set up and take down).

New set is in and I'll pick it up today. Fingers crossed!
post #63 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Yes, there really are. I had a flawless 59D6500 that, in my infinite wisdom, decided I should return for a D7000 to get the RBF (room is pretty bright). The D7000 was a big buzzer so it went back. Unfortunately, they were then out of stock so had to wait 3+ weeks for BB to get another in. They were quite nice about it and suggested I buy another set to return when mine came in just so I wasn't without a TV for nearly a month (decided on a smaller LCD to hold me over... easy enough to handle set up and take down).

Im wondering what is considered a buzzer...because i have slight anti-reflective peeling, and I can also hear the TV buzzing at any volume under 15. So maybe its good this TV is headed back.
post #64 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 AM

Quick question...

Based on what i can see in the pictures and text, all the anti-glare coatings that seem to be peeling off these tv's all look like it's happening at the top of the glass, no where else? Is this accurate?

I just want to know where i should look for this once i pick up my new set and how obvious it is to see? Do you have to look off center to see it and should i be looking all over the set for it or is it mainly at the edge of the glass where it meets the bezel only? Could it be in the ceter of the screen?

Thanks in advance!!

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #65 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Mine was only in the top left and right corners. You can see it
Just by getting close and looking no need for any extreme off angle stuff. It was small but it was coming off so I exchanged to avoid greater future problems.
post #66 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

The film was a uv filter. They swapped in a new panel made in april which isn't peeling. It has a slight buzz. Haven't decided if it's loud enough to bother me or not.

They found what appears to be an rf module inside the set. It had a ribbon cable but wasn't plugged into the main board. They plugged it in, but the stock remote doesn't seen to make use of it.
post #67 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton111 View Post
The film was a uv filter. They swapped in a new panel made in april which isn't peeling. It has a slight buzz. Haven't decided if it's loud enough to bother me or not.

They found what appears to be an rf module inside the set.
For the record my set was made in April and is peeling. Its just the top right corner...for the moment. It was not present when delivered but appeared after 10-14 days of use. It is the use and heat of the set that causes the peel, at least for me.

Slight buzz on mine if I stand close but I can't hear it at 12ft distance. There is some creaking of the set as it heats up during a 2 hr movie. This I can hear from the sofa and is disappointing as its distracting and if they had just put some 5 cent rubber pads between the bezel and the frame it wouldn't happen.

Automaton111, so you got a replacement screen not a new TV? If you can please report back if you get any peeling on the new screen.

I have to make a quick decision on a replacement or going a different way.

Thanks
post #68 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Me! Yes I have a 64D7000 that is two weeks old. And I am running it about 15 hrs a day with slides and regular viewing to break it in as soon as possible so I can calibrate it. Anyways no buzzing at all! Super quiet even after 15 hrs.! No bad pixels trust me Ive checked and still checking. No screen peeling! And no line bleeding. So far it is flawless!!! Did have some brightness issues the first day but did a reset and turned off all eco settings. No problems since. Hope I just didnt jinx myself.
post #69 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 01:47 PM

Location: Raised in San Jose, CA live in Manteca CA currently
My 64D8000 is pealing film from the top right corner also. Purchased mine back on April 13th with a build date of March 2011. WTF Samsung, feeling like I bought Best Buy brand tv. Ugh..... Samsung says I was the first to report such an issue, LIARS...

Might have tech here tomorrow if I can make it back home in time for my 1-5 appointment.
LL
LL
LL
post #70 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi64 View Post
My 64D8000 is pealing film from the top right corner also. Purchased mine back on April 13th with a build date of March 2011. WTF Samsung, feeling like I bought Best Buy brand tv. Ugh..... Samsung says I was the first to report such an issue, LIARS...

Might have tech here tomorrow if I can make it back home in time for my 1-5 appointment.
Did yours just start doing this or was it this way all along and you just saw it? Since your TV is over a month old, if it just started that is not a good sign.
post #71 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 02:15 PM

someone just peel it off already, maybe the picture will look even better with it off
post #72 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 PM

This may be a stupid question but should I hold off buying this tv (D8000 64") until the situation appears to be fixed? I am supposed to get my tv on Saturday from BB and can cancel if I want to. I am worried about this being a problem that may also develop weeks after ownership and we can't see it upfront when we buy the set.

My prob is that Im bringing it from the USA into Canada and may be impossible to bring back to the store should it happen after a few weeks.

What is the best answer to this? I've become paranoid now as it no longer an isolated issue and becoming more and more frequent with new owners.

post #73 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post

This may be a stupid question but should I hold off buying this tv (D8000 64") until the situation appears to be fixed? I am supposed to get my tv on Saturday from BB and can cancel if I want to. I am worried about this being a problem that may also develop weeks after ownership and we can't see it upfront when we buy the set.

My prob is that Im bringing it from the USA into Canada and may be impossible to bring back to the store should it happen after a few weeks.

What is the best answer to this? I've become paranoid now as it no longer an isolated issue and becoming more and more frequent with new owners.

I'm kinda where you are (without the US to Canada issue). I was ready to go order a 59D7000 tomorrow and now I'm reluctant. I was going to get a protection plan with mine from BB, but I'm concerned if this happened to mine they'd try to claim it was something I did to it (since it kind of looks like someone peeled it) and not fix it.
post #74 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 02:50 PM

I hear ya. Problem is I can inspect the tv before I leave the store, and if it's fine take it home. But then the staff will know when I left the store it was fine and then what happens when it develops after a month, talk about looking like a liar when you try to tell them "I didn't do this".....

post #75 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Just arranged an exchange with Vanns. I guess I'm going to try one more Sammy and see if it bubbles. Really hard to see that they fixed the defect in the time since my current one was built. If the next one bubbles I'll bail and wait for the Panasonic 65 in to come out and pray that one is ok.

If you are looking at buying a new Samsung Plasma, they are get TVs but burn it in right when you get it and look for bubbles along the edges within your return period.

Thanks for everyone's input.
post #76 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess that is the only way to send a message to Samsung.. they get enough returns they will get the hint.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #77 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 06:45 PM

my replacement 64D7000 will be here tomorrow....if the next one has a problem (screen peel, lots of bad pixels, or bad buzzing) I am going to return and take some time to figure what direction (aka different brand) im going to head.
post #78 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I picked up the replacement today. So far:

No buzzing
No line bleed
No peeling (haven't really looked for it, either)
No flashing or brightness pops

Beautiful picture quality... no comparison to the LG LCD set I used as a replacement for the two weeks or so while waiting for the 59D7000 replacement to come in.
post #79 of 1203 Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my replacement 64D7000 will be here tomorrow....if the next one has a problem (screen peel, lots of bad pixels, or bad buzzing) I am going to return and take some time to figure what direction (aka different brand) im going to head.

Modern plasmas shouldn't be getting bad pixels, bad pixels equal poor manufacturing tech! If you have bad pixels, screen peeling and buzzing then thats just not expectable! Everyone of you should complain to Samsung and tell them that they just lost a customer, its going to be up to everyone to let manufacture pay for their ignorance!

Techlord
post #80 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Has anyone been keeping up with the peeling problem only affecting certain sizes or production months????

Seems that April has been mentioned and maybe the 59" size.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #81 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 AM

Did the 2010 CXXXX models have similar peeling?
With the +1 size increase, did Samsung just make the bezels narrower, thus exposing more of the panel compared to CXXXX models.
Is it possible this peeling already existed in the 2010 (and earlier) models, but no one complained because it remained invisible behind the bezel.
Now with narrower bezel exposing more of the panels also the production faults in the edges of the panels are exposed.
I've ordered an european PS59D7000, but they don't yet seem to be in stock anywhere here.
Hopefully there won't be peeling in my set. I understand EU models are manufactured somewhere in Europe, whereas US models are manufactured in Mexico. Has anyone in EU with a PSXXDXXXX model reported peeling?
post #82 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 AM

Can anyone tell me if the manufacturing date of these tv's is available on the outside of the box? My D8000 is supposed to be ready for pick up today but I am having second thoughts about it since the peeling appedemic started. Seems like April and May builds are affected in both the 7k and 8k series in almost all sizes.

post #83 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Can anyone tell me if the manufacturing date of these tv's is available on the outside of the box? My D8000 is supposed to be ready for pick up today but I am having second thoughts about it since the peeling appedemic started. Seems like April and May builds are affected in both the 7k and 8k series in almost all sizes.

No, the date is on the back of the TV only. I had an affected March build in a 59" D7000.
post #84 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

The build date sticker on the back of the TV is when the TV was actually assembled in Mexico - it does not tell you what month the actual plasma panel was manufactured in Korea. It's possible that three different April-built TVs could have panels that were all made in different months.

When you got to pick up the TV, just remove the upper carton shell and thoroughly inspect the AR Filter for signs of peeling, and also shine a flashlight over every square inch of the plasma panel to make sure there are no hidden spider cracks in the glass (which Samsung will not warranty).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #85 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Peel on 64" April build D8000 for me.

Interesting idea about the narrow bezel on the 2011s. Its unclear though if this UV / Glare film is new to this year's models and that is the problem or if it was not applied correctly at the factory.

Honestly if the TV was 2 years old or was a $600 sale model and showed the problem I have with peeling I would just glue it down and live with it. My main concern is that over time the whole thing will peel and I will be stuck with an unwatchable set.

If my replacement shows peel or buzz I'm bailing on Samsung plasma.
post #86 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Location: Raised in San Jose, CA live in Manteca CA currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_novice_0001 View Post

Did yours just start doing this or was it this way all along and you just saw it? Since your TV is over a month old, if it just started that is not a good sign.

I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago, so about 3 weeks in. I gave it a quick once over out the box but did not pay much attention to the edges. My previous 63" Sammy 720P was problem free to me and looks good. I just wanted more PIXELS hmmmmm, now I am getting headaches.
post #87 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Oooooh by the way... Just to confuse things, there is also a clear protective film with a white pull tab on it that gets removed before installing a panel into a set, but they checked and thats not what this was in my case. The replacement panel had it though, and they peeled it off before installing it.
post #88 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Also:

Tried to peel off the film by finger and fingernail when the tech was here, and it would not budge at all. The adhesive is SUPER strong, and so the peeling probably wouldn't have spread. It seems like they just missed a spot when applying adhesive at the edge.

I think this is a problem that if you have it, you will have it and see it from day one. I don't think it's something your set develops over time.

And yes, it is correct that the panel will have it's own build date sticker on its back, different than the build date sticker on the back of the set.
post #89 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton111 View Post

Oooooh by the way... Just to confuse things, there is also a clear protective film with a white pull tab on it that gets removed before installing a panel into a set, but they checked and thats not what this was in my case. The replacement panel had it though, and they peeled it off before installing it.

Well that covers the question of protective films.

Has anyone actually had this TV running for weeks without peeling?

One thing I noticed last night was that the Bezel seems to overlap the film slightly on my set except on the corners. So may just be bezel slightly off and the thing peels over time.
post #90 of 1203 Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM

I did poke at the peeling film last night and agree it did seem pretty solid, ie not spreading but it 100% was not there on day one as I went over the set in detail when it arrived and it was really obvious out of the blue after one week of use. My main concern is just not knowing what the story is and being out of my return window.

I do think that if you are going to get this problem it will be early on. I used my TV but probably under 20hr on time before it happened.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page