Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1203 Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got my replacement 59D7000 today from Amazon, August 2011 build with no apparent pealing, which is nice. I'd say buzzing and brightness pops are basically the same however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1203 Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 51D8000 from BB 3 days ago and so far no peeling, no brightness irregularities or any buzzing whatsoever. Of course if any of this changes I'll post it here.
post #1173 of 1203 Old 01-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Purchased my d647000 form amazon about three weeks back. Currently have approx 80 hours it and today noticed a small bubble (1/4" round) has appeared on the bottom edge just off center. Set is an August build date.
Everything else on this set is perfect. Is the consenus as of News Years day to repair the panel, or have amazon send a new set?
post #1174 of 1203 Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 AM

I just got a PN59D8000 from amazon on Friday, build date of October 2011. It had about a 1" radius bubble on the top left center. Called for an exchange which comes on Friday. Crossing my fingers for a bubble-free unit.
post #1175 of 1203 Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinorosy View Post

Purchased my d647000 form amazon about three weeks back. Currently have approx 80 hours it and today noticed a small bubble (1/4" round) has appeared on the bottom edge just off center. Set is an August build date.
Everything else on this set is perfect. Is the consenus as of News Years day to repair the panel, or have amazon send a new set?

I did a lot of reading, if you're still in the amazon return/exchange window, I think that is by far the easiest and fastest way to go
post #1176 of 1203 Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 11
Wow guess it wasnt fixed in the manufacturing process after all was it?
post #1177 of 1203 Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Doesn't make you want to run out and buy a Samsung, either.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1178 of 1203 Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Doesn't make you want to run out and buy a Samsung, either.

Tell me about it

I've been waiting to buy this set since May..the first set I got peeled within 2 days and I've been waiting for a confirmed fix and stores to have fresh recent corrected stock before I repurchase it.
It's just incredible that people are a) still getting peelers in January and b) receiving stock that stores have had in their warehouse as far back as May and older from what I've been reading.

I want to buy this set in the USA as last week it was $1000 - 1500 cheaper than stores up here in Canada (for the 64" model) and can't get a peeler again as Samsung Canada will not warranty it cross border.

Even here in Canada, it seems some places have inventory of this TV, for example Future Shop which is showing 15 sets for Eastern Canada which I am ready to bet is still from their initial batch dating back to March or so...they don't even sell this TV in store as since people don't even know it exists with them, I doubt they sold many at all.

Has anyone in the New York area taken ownership of a 64" PND8000 Plasma with a December build or later? If so, was it peeling? I ask Ney York area since places like Amazon and Magnolia and other stores have multiple warehouses and depending where you live, the could ship this TV from warehouse 1 with a March build and warehouse 2 with a November build.

Thanks!

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #1179 of 1203 Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacwill View Post

I just got a PN59D8000 from amazon on Friday, build date of October 2011. It had about a 1" radius bubble on the top left center. Called for an exchange which comes on Friday. Crossing my fingers for a bubble-free unit.

TV exchanged today for another Oct 2011 build. Box was pretty beat up, so I wasn't very optimistic. No peeling, looks great, works perfect. Hopefully it will stay that way! Very happy for now
post #1180 of 1203 Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Hi all,

Everyone here seems to know what they are talking about so I need some assistance please!

Going to buy a PS64D8000 from Richer Sounds. I asked them to find out what the build date was for the TV's they have in stock and they are telling me there is no way to find out what the build date is from the outside of the box. How is everyone here finding out their build date?

Also, I have read somewhere that Samsung did something to the anti-glare screen in later models that helped resolve the screen peeling issue. Is this correct?

Many thanks, Richard.
post #1181 of 1203 Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM
DW

Peeling resolved for some time but now I have a black line running across the width of the TV. looks like a long etch a sketch line anyone else have this or know what it might be
post #1182 of 1203 Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Gents, I realize that this thread started in June 2011 but my PN64D7000FFXZA, built in March 2011 and bought in August 2011, recently started to peal in the top right corner area. I drove the Best Buy Magnolia where I bought it 15 months ago and they could not do anything because I never bought the $550 extended warranty mad.gif Then I called 1-800- Best Buy and they wanted $150 to send a tech to just look at it. Then I called Samsung and so far they have been fairly receptive and opened a ticket to have a tech inspect it.

I have no buzzing and great image, but the pealing which is small, is at the very edge of covering pixels.

Any advice would be great since it helps to have knowledge before a tech or Samsung try to give me any BS.

wink.gif
post #1183 of 1203 Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If they're sending someone, I suspect they may replace your panel since this was a manufacturing problem they had early on with the D series. Also, if you registered the TV online with Samsung, they would have extended your warranty by 3 months which means you may technically still be covered.
post #1184 of 1203 Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. Just last night I received a voicemail from a TV repair company stating they had received my ticket, Samsung had sent replacement parts and as soon as they had them they woould call to schedule a visit. Not bad.

If there's anything I should look for in the replacement process please feel free to advice. I read about the O rings and gaps that allowed heat to escape, other than that I hope it does not happen again and I hope this panel does not come with buzzing since my original peeling) panel is quiet.
post #1185 of 1203 Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy View Post

Thanks. Just last night I received a voicemail from a TV repair company stating they had received my ticket, Samsung had sent replacement parts and as soon as they had them they woould call to schedule a visit. Not bad.
If there's anything I should look for in the replacement process please feel free to advice. I read about the O rings and gaps that allowed heat to escape, other than that I hope it does not happen again and I hope this panel does not come with buzzing since my original peeling) panel is quiet.

If your panel is peeling, then they need to install O-rings. If they don't, it's all for naught. Ask the tech after he starts the repair. You probably have nothing to worry about since Samsung issued the repair bulletin which is now standard operating procedure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1186 of 1203 Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Well the techs came out and finished the instal on my 2011 65" 7000 series several days ago. Guy was a little rude/dry with my wife while I was at work, but I worned her that may happen (these guys seem to have the IT guy attiude). I have no idea if he used the O rings. Should I be able to notice a gap between the screen and the stainless frame? I'll call the tech, but I'm sure he'll try to tell me what ever I'd like to hear (plus he has a heavy asian accent so its not easy to communicate with him).

The image looks great. No bubbles or pealing after several hours/days of use. BUT (as always) This screen has a noticeble buzzing that the original, peeling, screen did not have. Now that I noticed it I cant ignore it. I admit most of it is noticeble when I sit right in front of the unit. When your sitting to the side its a lot less noticeable. Also, I can hear the pitch changes when the image changes too. Darker images are not as bad, lighter images are much louder. Any advice? Any calibration that will help? Is this it, or should I mention the buzzing to Samsung?
post #1187 of 1203 Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

Well the techs came out and finished the instal on my 2011 65" 7000 series several days ago........BUT (as always) This screen has a noticeble buzzing that the original, peeling, screen did not have. Now that I noticed it I cant ignore it. I admit most of it is noticeble when I sit right in front of the unit. When your sitting to the side its a lot less noticeable. Also, I can hear the pitch changes when the image changes too. Darker images are not as bad, lighter images are much louder. Any advice? Any calibration that will help? Is this it, or should I mention the buzzing to Samsung?

The replacement panel is defective. Calibration won't help. Your first panel didn't buzz so you shouldn't have to put up with the replacement buzzing. You should contact Samsung immediately and have them replace it again.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #1188 of 1203 Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks.

I'll "monitor" the situation for a couple more days. It seemed like initially there was no buzzing, days later and several hours of use later I was home alone with no other "noise" and I noticed it. I want to make sure it's still as bad after some additional hours of use.
post #1189 of 1203 Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

I finally called Samsung about the buzzing on my new none peeling D7000 64" screen. They tried convinsing me a certain amount of buzzing is normal, but I felt strongly this is above normal. They asked me if I could hear it from another room, please that would be screaming not a buzzing. They agreed to file a ticket, so I should be getting a call from a contractor soon.
post #1190 of 1203 Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the techs came out and finished the instal on my 2011 65" 7000 series several days ago. Guy was a little rude/dry with my wife while I was at work, but I worned her that may happen (these guys seem to have the IT guy attiude). I have no idea if he used the O rings. Should I be able to notice a gap between the screen and the stainless frame? I'll call the tech, but I'm sure he'll try to tell me what ever I'd like to hear (plus he has a heavy asian accent so its not easy to communicate with him).
The image looks great. No bubbles or pealing after several hours/days of use. BUT (as always) This screen has a noticeble buzzing that the original, peeling, screen did not have. Now that I noticed it I cant ignore it. I admit most of it is noticeble when I sit right in front of the unit. When your sitting to the side its a lot less noticeable. Also, I can hear the pitch changes when the image changes too. Darker images are not as bad, lighter images are much louder. Any advice? Any calibration that will help? Is this it, or should I mention the buzzing to Samsung?

I see you filed a complaint already on the buzzing. I think you made the right call. You gave it some time to make sure it was the set and not your being overly obsessive so I believe you acted reasonably. BTW, there is some buzzing that's normal but you should only hear it when you are really close to the TV or if you have the hearing of an animal. Brightness levels (namely reducing them) will affect the buzzing sound. However, based on your response I think there is a problem with your new panel.

It is unacceptable that the tech was rude. I had a tech come to my home twice and he was extremely nice. I actually assisted him with the repair. He came by himself and I had to assist in taking the set down. Then I watched the entire process. He showed me the O-rings and then he showed me the install.

The O-rings are tiny. you wont be able to tell they are there after the set is put back together.

post #1191 of 1203 Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Update, although I received a ticket number from Samsung regarding the buzzing I haven't been contacted. May have to call yet again. Time consuming, not good.
post #1192 of 1203 Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

2 months with the new screen, the buzzing is steel there and Samsung has not emailed/called back about it. I find myself not wanted to watch TV there unless I know I'll be able to raise the volume enough. I havent pushed Samsung about the new screen buzzing because I'm afraid I'll actually get a replacement that comes with some dead pixels (wich if its a handful you may have to live with it) and that may just be worst.

Hard to describe, but just how much buzzing do I have to accept?
post #1193 of 1203 Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Btw, so in the middle of the night I had an epiphany. Since the buzzing has a "focused" stop and it's right on the middle at the couch at seating level why don't I make sure TV is flat against the wall vs at an angle facing the seating area/level in the middle of the sofa. So I confirmed the TV did have a small angle facing down towards the seating level of the sofa and I leveled it against the wall basically focusing that "sweet" spot a few feet above seating level. The Buzzing is still there but WAY less noticeable. Maybe if you stand in front or behind the sofa you can hear it, but more importantly when seating its not as noticeable. Sad that it's the only way to deal with this, but its a cheap/fast fix.
post #1194 of 1203 Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

This buzzing is common and Samsung usually chooses to pass it off as "normal" even though there are panels out there that do not create much, if any, audible buzz. I have delt with buzz from my D7000 in much the same way as you describe, but the opposite approach (since mine is on a stand at eye level). I tilted my panel downward bit which sends the most intense noise into the couch, keeping it well below my head. Rarely bothered by it now.
post #1195 of 1203 Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

This buzzing is common and Samsung usually chooses to pass it off as "normal" even though there are panels out there that do not create much, if any, audible buzz. I have delt with buzz from my D7000 in much the same way as you describe, but the opposite approach (since mine is on a stand at eye level). I tilted my panel downward bit which sends the most intense noise into the couch, keeping it well below my head. Rarely bothered by it now.

The original screen on my 7000 did NOT buzz at all. This new screen, although its not pealing (yet), buzzing enough to bother me. This new "fix" is helping, but what a shame we have to spend that kind on money and then have this issue. Again, I dont think I'll continue to bug Samsung becuase I could always get a third screen and have that one buzz AND have a dead pixel. Not worth the risk.
post #1196 of 1203 Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, the buzzing is so much more noticeble when I click on mute and the black square mute simbol appears on the TV. There's obviousely some correlation between dark & light contrast and the buzzing.
post #1197 of 1203 Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Again, I dont think I'll continue to bug Samsung becuase I could always get a third screen and have that one buzz AND have a dead pixel. Not worth the risk.

Exactly my fear as well. There was a time where they would (in some cases) swap panels for buzzing, but it seemed some luck was always involved since there were also plenty of people who were denied. I had a Samsung tech in to fix another problem, and he refused to acknowledge my buzzing. He simply said it was normal - so apparently normal is audible to me from across the room.

Yes, contrasty and very bright screens have been known to make the buzzing louder. I don't seem to have that problem very often. In fact, the buzzing on my panel gets much quieter after it has warmed up for 30 minutes or so. I probably have a relatively low-level buzzer.
post #1198 of 1203 Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Exactly my fear as well. There was a time where they would (in some cases) swap panels for buzzing, but it seemed some luck was always involved since there were also plenty of people who were denied. I had a Samsung tech in to fix another problem, and he refused to acknowledge my buzzing. He simply said it was normal - so apparently normal is audible to me from across the room.

Yes, contrasty and very bright screens have been known to make the buzzing louder. I don't seem to have that problem very often. In fact, the buzzing on my panel gets much quieter after it has warmed up for 30 minutes or so. I probably have a relatively low-level buzzer.

Update: Today I noticed my buzzing replacement screen also has a dead pixel. I called Samsung again and reminded them about the second ticket I had been given 2 months ago, for which they had not contacted me. After talking to two different representatives and my call being "elevated" I was told TO POUND SAND. Basically they did me a "favor" when they came out initially to replace a pealing screen and the fact that this screen is buzzing and has DEAD PIXELS is not their problem anymore.

PASS THE WORD: Try to stay away from Samsung plasmas. I have two other Panasonic plasmas (42-50") and NO issues there.
post #1199 of 1203 Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I like my Samsung. Once Sammy became aware of my problem, it was promptly resolved (you can search this thread for my earlier posts). A couple years later, it still works great.

post #1200 of 1203 Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

I like my Samsung. Once Sammy became aware of my problem, it was promptly resolved (you can search this thread for my earlier posts). A couple years later, it still works great.

Glad to hear. I'm sure my situation is not the norm, but its very telling that they have the nerve tell me they are not responsible for a two month old screen they sent and installed because 1) my original purchase was over a year ago and 2) they already helped me ones. I almost which I would have kept my original screen. It did have a top right corner pealing but it had NO BUZZING and NO DEAD pixels.

I'm very upset since I feel cheated out of $2,900 knowing I could have bought a Visio for $880. Not the same quality but for that price I would not be this upset. I'll make sure to spread the word of my situation here, on FB and any other place I can.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page