Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

that is not the purpose.. samsung is not my fav company either but dont make stuff up.

...Yeah, I assumed a bit, but are you sure the coating doesn't have a dual purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

I too wanna see pics of the peeling coat... It's disgusting of Samsung to use a tinted plastic coating on their plasmas', in attempts to take the cheap way out to increase their black levels. Anyone here who buys these model Samsungs' after having read the posts in here is supporting bad design philosophies and a lazy company.

Well then you can complain to Panasonic as well. Jump in a time machine and complain to Pioneer also. All the AR coating are tinted.
post #183 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

... It's disgusting of Samsung to use a tinted plastic coating on their plasmas', in attempts to take the cheap way out to increase their black levels. Anyone here who buys these model Samsungs' after having read the posts in here is supporting bad design philosophies and a lazy company.

Um, if i'm not mistaken, the AR Filter on the Panasonics and Pioneers also helps increase their black levels. FWIW.

Seems like maybe Samsung is having a problem with the application of the adhesive (or with the adhesive itself) on their bonded filter.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #184 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

Well then you can complain to Panasonic as well. Jump in a time machine and complain to Pioneer also. All the AR coating are tinted.

I was pretty sure Pio's was bonded directly to the glass. Panasonic's probably is as well. ie a chemical layer on top of the glass rather than a plastic one. Pretty sure that is what Acid Snow is talking about. I know you can get AR filters that you can apply, but I don't think they're necessarily the same as the material that's on there in the first place (i.e. that can rub off and requires care when/if cleaning). Or in the least, the others are all adhered properly so that they stay on for the life of the set.

There're people will 10 yr old Panasonic and Pio sets that have not undergone peeling.
post #185 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that is not the purpose.. samsung is not my fav company either but dont make stuff up.

The hate is strong is this one

AFAIK, ALL modern plasmas use the AR filter to both reduce glare and to improve black levels. He's not making that up.
post #186 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

AFAIK, ALL modern plasmas use the AR filter to both reduce glare and to improve black levels. He's not making that up.

AR yes.. but it does not look tinted to me.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #187 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM

WTF!? Pioneer (and others) used coatings on their glass that wasn't built into the glass to improve their anti-reflection properties? ...Pioneer just dropped down a peg

Seriously though, WTF ? ...StarTrek obviously has the best technology, everything else is just a soggy-bread. Captain Picard FTW (I came after Kirks time, sry).
post #188 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AR yes.. but it does not look tinted to me.

You'll have to clarify that statement because I'm not sure which panels you're referring to. I think you're misunderstanding what people mean by "tint".
post #189 of 1203 Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll have to clarify that statement because I'm not sure which panels you're referring to. I think you're misunderstanding what people mean by "tint".

Now I realize "tint" can mean many colors but when some ads that it's purpose was to have cheap darker black levels.. well then tint turns into meaning "darker" to me.

Regardless it should not be peeling at the corners or anywhere else.

Johnny
post #190 of 1203 Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Still, nobody with this unbelievably wide spread problem has posted pictures. Maybe they are to busy shopping for another TV?
Anxious to see if mine is going to have the problem.

If you have the peel, please post pictures.
post #191 of 1203 Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiuser View Post

Still, nobody with this unbelievably wide spread problem has posted pictures. Maybe they are to busy shopping for another TV?
Anxious to see if mine is going to have the problem.

If you have the peel, please post pictures.

my pictures were posted on page 2 i believe. Only got worse as time went on. Started outside the pixel panel and within days was peeling over top of the pixels.
post #192 of 1203 Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiuser View Post

Anxious to see if mine is going to have the problem. If you have the peel, please post pictures.

Did you even read this thread or the other thread? About 5-6 people have posted pictures of their peeling screens.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #193 of 1203 Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After reading about this issue in a number of forums, I checked my new set with a flashlight and saw that it indeed had 2 very small areas of peeling film, which depressed when touched, in the upper corners. Probably would never have noticed it if I hadn't read of the problem.

Reported to Samsung, they said they will send a service rep out.
LL
post #194 of 1203 Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

After reading about this issue in a number of forums, I checked my new set with a flashlight and saw that it indeed had 2 very small areas of peeling film, which depressed when touched, in the upper corners. Probably would never have noticed it if I hadn't read of the problem.

Whoa thats way worse than the first two sets I returned. MY first two the peel wasn't even close to reaching where the pixels are.
post #195 of 1203 Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

worst I've seen.. did you help it a little after it started ?

Johnny
post #196 of 1203 Old 06-04-2011, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

worst I've seen.. did you help it a little after it started ?

Not at all. Called my local dealer (The Stereo Shop in Rochester NY) this morning, and thy are replacing it this afternoon. Hope the scond one is OK
post #197 of 1203 Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Just imagine all of the other buyer's of these new Samsung plasmas that haven't been to any forums, not everyone on the planet belongs to a forum. Those people will go to where they purchased the set for a full refund and pick-up another plasma that doesn't suffer from peeling (VT30), I'm guess I'm saying most don't ever get reported at least on the internet.

Techlord
post #198 of 1203 Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

Just imagine all of the other buyer's of these new Samsung plasmas that haven't been to any forums, not everyone on the planet belongs to a forum. Those people will go to where they purchased the set for a full refund and pick-up another plasma that doesn't suffer from peeling (VT30), I'm guess I'm saying most don't ever get reported at least on the internet.

Techlord

if you think the Vt30 has no issues.. well wakeup

Johnny
post #199 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you think the Vt30 has no issues.. well wakeup

I never stated that the VT30 didn't have no issues, all manufacturer's have their issues. The fact is this particular peeling issue is so wide spread it's making headlines, a large percentage of these Samsung plasmas are in fact suffering from the same defect from inside store display rooms to the consumer's home in what little time they have been released to the public! The failure rate is high for the amount of time they have been on the market!

Techlord
post #200 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Does make one wonder if anyone at Samsung actually plugged one of their sets in and played it for a week or two.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #201 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Does make one wonder if anyone at Samsung actually plugged one of their sets in and played it for a week or two.

probably not.. which is why they where out so fast this year

anyways it will be fixed, probably is fixed already but damn there are alot of sets out there already. Sammy is going to have to worry about this for a full year, maybe longer. This could end up costing them having to exchange D series panels for E series panels down the road.

Johnny
post #202 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Let's hope so! Free upgrades for everyone next year! woop!

Quote:

anyways it will be fixed, probably is fixed already but damn there are alot of sets out there already. Sammy is going to have to worry about this for a full year, maybe longer. This could end up costing them having to exchange D series panels for E series panels down the road.

buytme
post #203 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know this for a fact?
post #204 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know this for a fact?

ofcourse not... but sammy typically jumps on things like this quickly..other things not so much. Will they admit something is wrong is an entirely different story.. they probably wont.

People just need to return there sets and send a message..I'm sure they are well aware. I showed my retailer the peeling on their set already.

Johnny
post #205 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Well, you know that they not going to just throw those sets away. They probably won't replace the screens. My bet is that they'll remove the coating and respray it.

Think refurbs with an extended screen coating warranty.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #206 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Well, you know that they not going to just throw those sets away. They probably won't replace the screens. My bet is that they'll remove the coating and respray it.

Think refurbs with an extended screen coating warranty.

Refurbished vs reconditioned...the two are different. They cannot simply remove and respray. With the process they go through to produce them in the first place, and the relatively low occurrence of issues, it would be cheaper/easier to scrap the panel glass altogether...if not the entire display.
post #207 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 PM

I believe my 3rd and my "perfect" 64D7000 is starting to peel in the upper left hand quarter. It looked flawless last week upon delivery, but im almost positive im starting to see it let go in the upper left hand corner. I will give it until the end of this week.
post #208 of 1203 Old 06-05-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The way I figure it.. is this should be covered by the worksmanship of the warranty..although its a royal PITA hopefully exchanging later gives more time for sammy to get their act together..(later build date) going for a 4th panel in ~30 days is kinda crazy.

Johnny
post #209 of 1203 Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post

I believe my 3rd and my "perfect" 64D7000 is starting to peel in the upper left hand quarter. It looked flawless last week upon delivery, but im almost positive im starting to see it let go in the upper left hand corner. I will give it until the end of this week.

I'm not the least bit surprised, I did see this coming however. I saw one today at BB and pointed it out to the sales rep and he was shocked by how many returns there have been thus far! Why wait for Samsung to get it right, they don't deserve your loyalty after three freaking panels! Makes you wonder how many other components are sub-standard ...

Techlord
post #210 of 1203 Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

I'm not the least bit surprised, I did see this coming however. I saw one today at BB and pointed it out to the sales rep and he was shocked by how many returns there have been thus far! Why wait for Samsung to get it right, they don't deserve your loyalty after three freaking panels! Makes you wonder how many other components are sub-standard ...

Techlord

I have a hard time believing that a lowly BB sales rep, not working with returns, would be aware of the rate of returns. Of course an infant has more display tech knowledge in their pinkie finger than most BB employees as well.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page