Antiglare / Antireflective coating peeling on new Samsung plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1203 Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any experience with the antiglare / antireflective coating peeling off? Sorry for the big pic.

I just received my Samsung PN59D8000 plasma last week, and noticed yesterday that part of the antiglare / antireflective coating is peeling off (about 2 inches across). I thought these coatings were typically applied by evaporation, but evidently it's a stuck on film on this set.

I pressed it back down, but it comes back up in seconds. I could either call Abes of Maine where I bought it and try to get them to send me a new set, or I could put in a claim through the on-site extended warranty that I bought.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1203 Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Looks like a manufacturing defect. I guess it depends on Abes, but most dealers would swap that out with a new one after only a week.

buytme
post #3 of 1203 Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 449
I think you should exchange it - this would seem to be the simplest way deal with something like this. I have never seen anyone post about the AR Filter peeling up - this is a new one on me.

The only way to repair it is to have a new plasma panel installed (the coating is applied to the panel during manufacture). If you try to use the Samsung factory warranty they might not cover it (ie: blame you for pulling it up).

And if you enact your extended warranty they may also not cover it, or if they do they might replace the whole TV or give you a cash settlement, but then the warranty is considered fulfilled and would not carry over onto the replacement set.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 1203 Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I guess I'll continue to be astounded that people buy items for more than $50, let alone ~$2000 or more, and don't spend a few minutes reading the vendor's shipping and returns policies. It took me less than a minute to find this info.

Here are a couple excerpts:

"The following items cannot be returned:
Fitness equipment, Large Appliances, Security items, Special Order Merchandise, Marine and Camping Equipment, Sunglasses, Watches, Software, TV's, Computer components, Tablets."

"TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors are not returnable to Abe's of Maine. If initially defective they must be serviced by an Authorized Service Technician. Abe's of Maine can help you locate your nearest Authorized Service Technician."
post #5 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Are you sure that this is coating? Every new TV comes with protective film attached to the screen to prevent scratches in transit. You have to remove it after unpacking. Did you do this?
post #6 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Are you sure that this is coating? Every new TV comes with protective film attached to the screen to prevent scratches in transit. You have to remove it after unpacking. Did you do this?

While i have seen small LCDs come with a protective film, i have never heard of any Plasma TV coming with a protective film attached to the screen. I have installed over a dozen Plasmas for other people and none of em had a protective film. Bezel yes, but not on the screen itself.

Looking at that picture, it does look like a protective static-cling film is coming up so that's kinda weird. It's possible that Samsung started putting a removable film on the screen, or maybe it is only on there to protect the panel during manufacture and an assembly worker forgot to remove it when the panel was installed in the bezel?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It looks like a piece of the bezel protective film that didn't come off with the rest. Just yank it away.
post #8 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah there were really thick obvious stickers covering the bezel. Pretty sure this isn't that. I asked the sales guy before I ordered if I got a defective tv, would they swap it out and pay for all the shipping. He said yes. I guess I'll find out shortly.
post #9 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Funniest thread I've seen on here in a while. I really hope that's just the protective film and this guy is going to laugh his @$$ off at himself if that's the case.
post #10 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton111 View Post

Yeah there were really thick obvious stickers covering the bezel. Pretty sure this isn't that. I asked the sales guy before I ordered if I got a defective tv, would they swap it out and pay for all the shipping. He said yes. I guess I'll find out shortly.

Didn't you remove the clear plastic from the entire bezel (I'm not talking about the stickers)?
post #11 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Didn't you remove the clear plastic from the entire bezel (I'm not talking about the stickers)?

Yes I did remove that.

Yes, it would be nice if what appears to be the reflective film is really just another extremely well integrated protective film. That's partly why I posted this here. In case someone seeing it could tell they had the same thing and it was just a protective film.

Also, I didn't buy the TV from the website. I called in, spoke to a sales rep ("Roy"), and bought it over the phone only after specifically confirming with him that they would swap the set at no cost to me in the event it was defective. Left a message on Roy's voicemail. I guess now I'll see how honest of a business Abes is
post #12 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

An Abes customer service rep helped me place a few calls through Samsung, and the local service center Samsung assigned my ticket to. I didn't know the Samsung manufacturer warranty was an on-site warranty, which is nice. The local service center said they don't have my service ticket in their system yet, but most of the time they don't need to come out to troubleshoot. They just show up to install the new item after receiving the parts. It could be a couple hours for the ticket to show up on their system supposedly, then they'll call me. If they say "just peel that sh1t off," I will be happily surprised. But I'm not going to just start peeling things off of a $2600 TV on my own lol.
post #13 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton111 View Post
Also, I didn't buy the TV from the website. I called in, spoke to a sales rep ("Roy"), and bought it over the phone only after specifically confirming with him that they would swap the set at no cost to me in the event it was defective. Left a message on Roy's voicemail. I guess now I'll see how honest of a business Abes is
I am guessing you didn't record that conversation, otherwise you'd have mentioned it, I would think. So, hopefully they are honest, indeed.

Any time I inquire over the phone with a vendor, I no longer take anyone's word, I get them to e-mail any clarified terms we had discussed, then I can order over the phone, if need be.

I hope it works out for you.
post #14 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 AM

There have been a few threads with folks having units that appear to have the coating lifting.
post #15 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I am guessing you didn't record that conversation, otherwise you'd have mentioned it, I would think. So, hopefully they are honest, indeed.

Any time I inquire over the phone with a vendor, I no longer take anyone's word, I get them to e-mail any clarified terms we had discussed, then I can order over the phone, if need be.

I hope it works out for you.

This. Always, always, have that kind of thing in writing. You're sometimes ok without it, but you can get worked over without it (sometimes even with written confirmation companies will balk at doing what they previously agreed to). Difference is that something in writing has legal standing. If it was only over the phone, it doesn't exist.
post #16 of 1203 Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

This. Always, always, have that kind of thing in writing. You're sometimes ok without it, but you can get worked over without it (sometimes even with written confirmation companies will balk at doing what they previously agreed to). Difference is that something in writing has legal standing. If it was only over the phone, it doesn't exist.

Yep, if it's in writing, and one paid by CC, the CC company would make them live up to the terms of sale or they'd revoke the CC charge.

Also, one could just record a call to a vendor. Just be aware, that in some states, one has to obtain and record the other party's consent at the beginning of the recording.

Of course it is easier to just get them to e-mail the relevant info.
post #17 of 1203 Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

I have the same exact problem. I guess we are in the same boat. I will have to call Amazon to get this returned.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20458146
post #18 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 AM

I have the same thing in the upper right corner. Talking with Samsung to resolve it.
post #19 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM

And I remember lots of people saying the antiglare coatings that you apply yourself were not good. Looks like its the same type of stuff Samsung uses if it peels.
post #20 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just to be "clear," there is no protective plastic applied to the screen for shipping, only the bezel, and the stuff on the bezel is very obvious. If you've got something peeling off the screen, that's a problem. Haven't experienced it on my 64d7000.

Too bad Abes has such a lousy return policy. I would expect that of one of those Brooklyn grey-market outfits, but Abes is a Samsung authorized seller. I did some shopping around before I purchased, and other authorized sellers like Amazon, Crutchfield, Vanns, and PaulsTV all have 15 to 30 day full return policies for product defects.

Best of luck to you. Please report back. Hopefully samsung will do the right thing and swap out your TV.
post #21 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglin View Post
And I remember lots of people saying the antiglare coatings that you apply yourself were not good. Looks like its the same type of stuff Samsung uses if it peels.
These actual two TVs in question are not sitting in my room so I'll say up front I'm not commenting based on in-hand evidence. However, the anti-glare coating used on any TV is not a film stuck on the glass as these photos appear to make them out to be. I would guess that the real AR coating is extraordinarily thin and applied in a sophisticated vapor deposition process or something along those lines. If someone is able to grab this film then rest assured it's not something that belongs there anyway. Perhaps it was a protective film used during their manufacturing or parts delivery process that wasn't perfectly removed.
post #22 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I received a 59D7000 that had the same peeling as soon as I opened the box. It was a replacement for my first one as I thought the first one buzzed too much and asked for a second one to be shipped. Turns out the second one buzzed just as much and had this screen bubbling problem.

For now, I'm keeping the first one since they both buzz the same amount and it doesn't have any screen defects at this time. Not sure if I can live with the buzzing though. My previous 3 year old Panasonic plasma buzzed less for sure. Great PQ, but I shouldn't be able to hear a buzz from my viewing distance 8 feet away over a soft volume.
post #23 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post
These actual two TVs in question are not sitting in my room so I'll say up front I'm not commenting based on in-hand evidence. However, the anti-glare coating used on any TV is not a film stuck on the glass as these photos appear to make them out to be. I would guess that the real AR coating is extraordinarily thin and applied in a sophisticated vapor deposition process or something along those lines. If someone is able to grab this film then rest assured it's not something that belongs there anyway. Perhaps it was a protective film used during their manufacturing or parts delivery process that wasn't perfectly removed.
Actually I can confidently say that the imperfection on the outside face of the glass as I can definitely feel the embossment when I run the tip of my finger over it.
post #24 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

i was told that the new Antireflective coating is built in to the scren so it cant peel
post #25 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM

To all of you smart speculators. It is top layer of the screen that is peeling off. It has blue reflection if viewed from the angle. Be happy that your tv does not have that defect but don't assume that we are idiots unable to distinguish protective tape from screen itself. I bet my last penny that most of the comments comes from the people that do not have this tv.
post #26 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

i was told that the new Antireflective coating is built in to the scren so it cant peel

This thread would be a strong indication that whoever told you that was incorrect.
post #27 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosinar View Post

To all of you smart speculators. It is top layer of the screen that is peeling off. It has blue reflection if viewed from the angle. Be happy that your tv does not have that defect but don't assume that we are idiots unable to distinguish protective tape from screen itself. I bet my last penny that most of the comments comes from the people that do not have this tv.

Alternatively, some people who do have a set may put down anyone who has issues because they don't want to think the set they have could have defects or develop them. Since this appears to be a legit issue, perhaps people could stop doing the equivalent of telling someone to remember to press the power button because their set stopped turning on.
post #28 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

Do you have some tech documents to that effect? I'm aware of at least one person who had a bad AR filter on his LG, rubbed it off, and applied a new AR filter. I would not recommend that in this case since the Sammy filter is probably better than anything you could do on your own.
post #29 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Well sadly I am returning the TV. It is a shame since it was a great tv and I cannot get an exchange.
post #30 of 1203 Old 05-19-2011, 11:05 AM

You can buy AR filters? Any links? Do they actually work?

I know nothing on the subject really, so I just thought it'd be funny to have a tech show up, only to tell you that it's the protective plastic, and you just have to peel it off.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page