Single Stud for 55 inch VT30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I just built a house and I had a bit of an oversight when I was designing the TV room. The studs are 24 inches apart on the wall and the power and conduit for HDMI, etc is on the stud in question which is centered in the middle of the room. The 55 inch VT30 is ~70 lbs and the mount is the EVERIK EM-T4B which I think weighs ~10-12 lbs.

Now is it possible to mount this to a single 2 x 6 with lag screws and then use toggle bolts in the dry wall on either side? I imagine this will do the trick, but just wanted to get some input.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Liked: 11
Can you not offset the mount (with its end still hidden behind the TV's width) and hit two studs?
post #3 of 27 Old 05-28-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

I could, but then it would not be centered in the middle of the room. I also have in-roof rears that are designed to hit a sweet spot in the middle of the room. It's not a wide room either or else it may not be an issue.
post #4 of 27 Old 05-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelaevlaev View Post
]The 55 inch VT30 is ~70 lbs and the mount is the EVERIK EM-T4B which I think weighs ~10-12 lbs.
According to Panasonic, the 55-VT30 actually weighs about 85 pounds without a stand...don't know how much difference that will make, but you probably want the right info when working on something so important (and expensive).
post #5 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

You are right. So that's an extra 15 lbs in the equation.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I would probably just go with a stand, possibly in conjunction with a wall anchor if it's a narrow stand.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 AM

I would not go with a single stud using a wall mount. Besides the stud, you are placing a concentrated load on the tv mount itself using a single support point. An option would be to use some horizontal bracing material on the outside of the wall, hitting two studs and then using the mount. This could look ok, or ugly depending on what you use and how you do it.

I have a 55” VT 30…on a stand…and its heavy. And its weight is on the front side of the tv, which adds more leverage to the mount.
post #8 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't put that much weight on a single stud. I'd go to bed worried every night that it fall.

You could run a two by six horizontally spanning at least two studs and paint to match, then bolt the wall mount to it. Keep in mind it will push the TV out a bit. If it looks bad, cover it with fabric/frame the TV like a miniature big screen curtain.

If that's not an option, you could also remove some drywall and brace that stud to the adjoining by sistering it. IE bolt a 2x6 vertically on each side of your main stud, and on the inside of each stud next to it, and then run two horizontally stud to stud.

Kinda like below/ bad artwork

I've got a 50" panny plasma that I used a monoprice mount to hang, it's off-center behind the TV, but there was a enough room on the mount to slide it over where the TV is centered on the wall.
LL
post #9 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
So you can mount the center of the wall mount on the stud, correct? If so, you will be TOTALLY fine if you supplement with these SNAPTOGGLE anchor bolts on each end of the wall mount:

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

Take a look at their site - they list plasmas, etc as suitable applications for their SNAPTOGGLE bolts and they aren't kidding. These things truly are AMAZING. I used them 2 years ago to wall mount a projector without any studs whatsoever. The projector was 24 pounds (Sony VW-40) and the wall mounting bracket had to weigh another 10 pounds or so. Now, the arm extended out from the wall roughly 12" and the center of the projector attached below it. This creates the effect of having a LOT more weight since the center of the projector was hanging out 12" from the wall. I'm not a math guy, but this probably created the effect of having something like 60-100 pounds of weight instead of the 34 actual pounds of the PJ + mount. 4 of these SNAPTOGGLE bolts with no studs whatsoever worked totally fine until I took the projector down 2 years later to move out of my house.

These bolts were slightly hard to come by when I first read about them 2+ years ago when researching a solution to allow me to mount without studs. However, they've become more popular since then (for good reason) and I know I've seen them at Lowes or Home Depot recently. Amazon also sells them.

Combined with some heavy duty lag bolts in the center of your wall mount attached to a stud, you will have NO problem if you supplement with the SNAPTOGGLE anchor bolts. I wouldn't hesitate using this solution for a minute if it were me based on my previous experience.

Hope this helps!
post #10 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

So you can mount the center of the wall mount on the stud, correct? If so, you will be TOTALLY fine if you supplement with these SNAPTOGGLE anchor bolts on each end of the wall mount:

Take a look at their site - they list plasmas, etc as suitable applications for their SNAPTOGGLE bolts and they aren't kidding. These things truly are AMAZING. I used them 2 years ago to wall mount a projector without any studs whatsoever. The projector was 24 pounds (Sony VW-40) and the wall mounting bracket had to weigh another 10 pounds or so. Now, the arm extended out from the wall roughly 12" and the center of the projector attached below it. This creates the effect of having a LOT more weight since the center of the projector was hanging out 12" from the wall. I'm not a math guy, but this probably created the effect of having something like 60-100 pounds of weight instead of the 34 actual pounds of the PJ + mount. 4 of these SNAPTOGGLE bolts with no studs whatsoever worked totally fine until I took the projector down 2 years later to move out of my house.

These bolts were slightly hard to come by when I first read about them 2+ years ago when researching a solution to allow me to mount without studs. However, they've become more popular since then (for good reason) and I know I've seen them at Lowes or Home Depot recently. Amazon also sells them.

Combined with some heavy duty lag bolts in the center of your wall mount attached to a stud, you will have NO problem if you supplement with the SNAPTOGGLE anchor bolts. I wouldn't hesitate using this solution for a minute if it were me based on my previous experience.

Hope this helps!

Yes, I can screw into the center stud.

I was thinking that a solution like this would be ok. I'll check out Home Depot after work.

People hang 100 pound mirrors from toggle bolts in dry wall so I am sure with these awesome anchor bolts and going into the stud in the middle that I will be ok.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post

I would not go with a single stud using a wall mount. Besides the stud, you are placing a concentrated load on the tv mount itself using a single support point. An option would be to use some horizontal bracing material on the outside of the wall, hitting two studs and then using the mount. This could look ok, or ugly depending on what you use and how you do it.

I have a 55” VT 30…on a stand…and its heavy. And its weight is on the front side of the tv, which adds more leverage to the mount.

Putting it on a stand is my last option. I've attached a picture. The power supply is on the wall and so is an opening for conduit which would be showing if I had the TV on a stand. Disregard the stand as we are getting a new one. Also, I pre-wired to have the speakers on the wall so if the TV was on a stand, I would have a wire for my center channel sticking out of the wall behind the tv. I had a specific plan that I obviously didn't think out 100 % when building the house. I blame it partly on my builder.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post

I have a 55 VT 30on a standand its heavy. And its weight is on the front side of the tv, which adds more leverage to the mount.

Sorry, here is the pic.
LL
post #13 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

The more I read about it on other threads, the more confident I can pull it off with lags bolts in the stud for the center and using the Snaptoggle anchor bolts for the sides. I have messaged a few people who have threads just to see if it stood the test of time, but I am pretty confident.
post #14 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I truly think you'll be more than fine. Heck, one stud with some heavy duty lag bolts would probably be sufficient for a 90-100lb plasma and a flush mount (not articulating). Not that you have any reason to just use the one stud without the toggle anchors - just making a point.

The SNAPTOGGLE bolts are just giving you a little extra reassurance and providing a means to secure the bracket at the ends vs. just in the center, which is definitely a good idea.

I'd be nervous to try it myself, but I'll go out on a limb and say that 8 SNAPTOGGLE anchors (4 top and 4 bottom) would hold your TV with no problem all by themselves if installed properly in 1/2" or thicker drywall. This is based on my experience of 2 years with my projector and the added stress of having the projector hanging 12" away from the wall (like an articulating mount would do). After 2 years, there was no flex in the wall mount when I gave it a good tug before taking it down when I moved.

You'll be fine with your situation.
post #15 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM

As long as your mount hits a stud somewhere around the centre of the mount, you should be fine with 2 anchor bolts. You could drill through the mount with a metal bit, and secure 2 or 3 more bolts to the same centre stud.

I have done this with my 50" Pio and she has been hanging just fine for the past year. On the side without studs, I used toggle bolts to keep the mount and panel tight against the wall.
post #16 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:

As long as your mount hits a stud somewhere around the centre of the mount, you should be fine with 2 anchor bolts. You could drill through the mount with a metal bit, and secure 2 or 3 more bolts to the same centre stud.

Perhaps. Remember, the issue is not the stud or bolts; its the mount. What warnings or instrunctions were provided with the mount? I would assume it would show a proper distribution of ancor points. And remember that the glass screen of the TV will provide leverage against the mount...its not just a question of weight.

One thing that I know for sure is that drywall is really crappy stuff for providing support. And the newer drywall seems to crumble more than the stuff made back in the 80's.

This suggestion is simular to what I also mentioned....
Quote:

You could run a two by six horizontally spanning at least two studs and paint to match, then bolt the wall mount to it. Keep in mind it will push the TV out a bit. If it looks bad, cover it with fabric/frame the TV like a miniature big screen curtain.

post #17 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 PM

I agree, the snap toggles with a stud should be fine. If you have a mechanical engineer as a friend, you can confirm with him. But, yeah, I was gonna mention this as well. HD has several types of anchoring mechanisms for attaching heavy weight to drywall.

The other option I like, is attaching a 1 by or 2by across your three studs, and mount to that. That should still be hidden behind a 55" TV.
post #18 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 AM

I would avoid the "Home Depot"!

Your mount I believe has nine mounting points and the mount should do well with "quality" products! You've never mentioned the size of the drywall. If 5/8 there would no issues. If it's 1/2 I'd still think it a non-issue but the quality of the product should be considered as mentioned earlier. I would think it an advantage also if the stud was centered on a drywall sheet rather than a stud that is a joint. Why? Don't know!

You want "quality" hardware! That's not HD!

You want either TOGGLER branded hardware:

or an equivalant! There wasn't an "equivalant" at HD six months ago when I looked. There's very little "equivalant" hardware at HD when compared to quality hardware available elsewhere in the market.

Toggler is available at Lowes maybe Menards or other "quality" hardware resellers. HD ain't about "quality"!
post #19 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

My drywall is 1/2'' thick. I went to Home Depot and they had some Toggler-brand SnapToggle Anchors so I picked up 4 of them, but I have 3 anchor points for the mount so I'll have to by one more pack. For the stud, it's a 2x6 so what length of lag bolt is ideal? I bought 2, 2.5, and 3 inch just to be safe.

The 2x4 idea isn't ideal. The stud I am mounting to is in the middle of the TV so 2x4 would have to extend 24 inches to reach the next stud and it would stick out like a sore thumb. It's a brand new house and our look is to be quite minimalistic so I do not wish to go down this route even though it's obviously the most structurally sound method.

I do have a mechanical engineer friend so perhaps I will ask his opinion.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 AM

I would open the drywall and add proper support with 2x4's, for me it will give extra piece of mind. Should be an easy weekend project.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvtecaccord View Post

I would open the drywall and add proper support with 2x4's, for me it will give extra piece of mind. Should be an easy weekend project.

I'm guessing that the idea of opening up the drywall in a brand new house would generate considerable conversation with the wife!! Good luck with that one.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I'm guessing that the idea of opening up the drywall in a brand new house would generate considerable conversation with the wife!! Good luck with that one.

You are correct. We are not at the stage of ripping out drywall.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
togglers can hold a lot of weight. ive use the togglers (the ones you need a 5/16" pilot, insert toggler, slide sleeve down the nylon zips, break zips off). they are a breeze to use and are very heavy duty. 4 of those and a center stud sounds pretty sturdy.
post #24 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan View Post
togglers can hold a lot of weight. ive use the togglers (the ones you need a 5/16" pilot, insert toggler, slide sleeve down the nylon zips, break zips off). they are a breeze to use and are very heavy duty. 4 of those and a center stud sounds pretty sturdy.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Those are the togglers that I have. I'll hang it sometime this week when my brother-in-law can help me put it up. I'll let you guys know.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Two 3" lag bolts and use a drill to make pilot hole before screwing in the lag bolts and two to the toggle bolts at the upper corners of the mount and you will be fine. Make sure you are in the center of the stud before drilling.
post #26 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM

Based on the thread title, I thought this was somebody looking for a trade.

I really like my VT30, but straight up for a single stud is a pretty sweet deal
post #27 of 27 Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Just a follow up, the tv is holding well. No problems whatsoever. I used 3 togglers and 1 regular toggle bolt (my dad screwed a toggler up and the store didn't have more). Thanks for all the help.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page