Panasonic TC - P50GT25 - Image Retention / Burn-In - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 87 Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ha, sorry, that was an image I pulled off the internet! If you look, it was doctored with some technology object in the middle instead of the black obelisk from 2001.

I posted it for those unfamiliar with the film to explain that the IR showed up very badly in that scene due to the white floors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ah gotcha lol
post #33 of 87 Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by philexile View Post
What are the C2's you're referring to?
Last years entry level Panny PDP's. My brother in law has a 42" and I have a 46''. My Nephew, (who is a film student and also works for Best Buy's Magnolia Home Theater Dept), and I calibrated them using a standard set up dvd. Despite the negative press they've received by some members on this forum, (who don't actually own one), they've received very positive reviews including a best buy from CR. Personally, I think they offer very good quality at a reasonable price. But then again, they're not a GT.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #34 of 87 Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 AM

You can give this a shot to try and remove the IR you currently have.. Copy 10 hours worth of music to your PS3 hard drive. Make a playlist playing it all at once. Play that playlist on the PS3. Hit select a few times on the controller to get rid of the name of the song on the bottom left corner. Using the square button switch the music view to the screen saver with all the colors on it that look like you are surfing on waves or whatever. Not the earth screen saver or the all black one. On the TV, hit the FORMAT button on the remote to ZOOM. Turn the volume down, unless you want to listen to it and leave it on all night in VIVID mode with the contrast and brightness settings maxed, check and see if the retention is reduced or gone after that.

I have read numerous posts over the years by gamers saying this is a very effective way to remove IR on plasmas. Its also worth stating that some stubborn IR can take a few months to go away. I use THX mode to game on my Panny and IR has been minimal and goes away quickly. I do not game for 5 hours straight though.

Hope this helps.

Mike
post #35 of 87 Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Last years entry level Panny PDP's. My brother in law has a 42" and I have a 46''. My Nephew, (who is a film student and also works for Best Buy's Magnolia Home Theater Dept), and I calibrated them using a standard set up dvd. Despite the negative press they've received by some members on this forum, (who don't actually own one), they've received very positive reviews including a best buy from CR. Personally, I think they offer very good quality at a reasonable price. But then again, they're not a GT.

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for letting me know!
post #36 of 87 Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mike,

Well, the techs from Advisory TV are going to pick up the television today. Hopefully, all my issues will be resolved, but I'll definitely try this if they are not. However, I have a feeling it won't help because I've run static for hours and days and it had zero impact.

Again, thank you for your suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel View Post

You can give this a shot to try and remove the IR you currently have.. Copy 10 hours worth of music to your PS3 hard drive. Make a playlist playing it all at once. Play that playlist on the PS3. Hit select a few times on the controller to get rid of the name of the song on the bottom left corner. Using the square button switch the music view to the screen saver with all the colors on it that look like you are surfing on waves or whatever. Not the earth screen saver or the all black one. On the TV, hit the FORMAT button on the remote to ZOOM. Turn the volume down, unless you want to listen to it and leave it on all night in VIVID mode with the contrast and brightness settings maxed, check and see if the retention is reduced or gone after that.

I have read numerous posts over the years by gamers saying this is a very effective way to remove IR on plasmas. Its also worth stating that some stubborn IR can take a few months to go away. I use THX mode to game on my Panny and IR has been minimal and goes away quickly. I do not game for 5 hours straight though.

Hope this helps.

Mike

post #37 of 87 Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

ANOTHER UPDATE:

The techs from Advisory TV just left.... without my plasma. They came in and didn't have the 42" loaner saying they didn't have authorization from Panasonic to leave one. I pointed out to them that I have it in email. See below:

----------------

I sent your pix to Panasonic for review and I was told to make arrangement to p/u your set; Panasonic wants to evaluate the unit ( we can offer you a loaner tv; while yours is being address).

Let me know how soon I can p/u the set from you and deliver you a loaner (42” plasma)

----------------

I called Panasonic and they are supposed to be calling me back today. Additonally, Advisory TV has terrible reviews. Check these out - Panasonic only hires the best contractors!

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profil...ileTab-reviews

From one of the reviews:

"This company use to be the exclusive service provider for BestBuy for items under warranty. As of Jan 09 Bestbuy is no longer outsourcing this work but is keeping it in house via Geek Squad, not a moment too soon. There service providers are incompetent and their administrative staff are simply not truthful. They will do everything in their power to avoid admitting that they cannot fix your item. They came to my home on over 6 occasions, replaced 4 major parts of my tv, took the tv for 2 weeks to fix it in house after already coming to my home on 4 occasions and consistently lied to me about what they were telling BestBuy."

The incompetence continues. Also, I had to take a vacation day for this - awesome.
post #38 of 87 Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Sorry about your luck with Panasonic. What a joke that is!

Was wondering if you gave my anti IR technique explained in post #34 a try? Just curious, i was hoping it would help with your bad IR.

Take Care.

Mike
post #39 of 87 Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Nice replacement of the monolith with a IBM z9 BC mainframe.

Quote:

Hi Kidhorn,

Actually, I can see the noise from across the room. I had my PS3 last night and noticed a huge amount of noise in the default menu - which looks sort of like washes of color, with whitish, wave ares - see below for an example of the menu, not the noise:

In those white areas, I could see the color noise 'dancing' throughout. So, it is very apparent and excessive. I took closeups because you wouldn't be able to see it otherwise with my iPhone camera.

In the second part of your message, I assume you're referring to the image retention. I cannot see any IR when the TV is off, so I think what you have is different from mine. I can say that when I was watching my 2001 Blu-Ray that I could see the IR very, very clearly in the end scenes - which really ruins the movie. The noise also was very distracting.

In short, the TV is defective. I'm going to take RandyWalters assessment over yours considering that he has 10000+ posts and more experience. No offense though, I do appreciate your input.

Best Regards

post #40 of 87 Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Not yet. Maybe tonight before I go to bed. I was pretty disgusted on Friday about the whole thing, so I didn't bother.

I did speak with Panasonic and they assured me that Advisory TV will return on Wednesday, with a loaner, and that the issues with the TV would absolutely be addressed. I heard that song before though. I'm going to make a prediction, based on my previous experience, that the following will happen:

1. They pick up the TV and leave a loaner that is in horrible shape and barely works at all.

2. My plasma will be out for repair for a month or more.

3. It will return and have the same issues as before. (This is based on the reviews I read of Advisory TV's 'service')

4-A. I'll have to begin the whole BS process with Panasonic over again.

or

4-B. I donate the TV to charity, then go out of my way to publicize my poor experience with Panasonic; report them to the Better Business Bureau, Consumerist, and blogs; buy a Sony LED; never buy another Panasonic product again.

Has anyone else out there had issues with Panasonic's warranty support? This is absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a company.

I'm really kicking myself for not getting a Sony. I've bought Sony TVs my entire life and this was the first time I've not - which is proving to be a very, very poor decision on my part.

Quote:

Sorry about your luck with Panasonic. What a joke that is!

Was wondering if you gave my anti IR technique explained in post #34 a try? Just curious, i was hoping it would help with your bad IR.

Take Care.

Mike

post #41 of 87 Old 07-03-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not yet. Maybe tonight before I go to bed. I was pretty disgusted on Friday about the whole thing, so I didn't bother.

I did speak with Panasonic and they assured me that Advisory TV will return on Wednesday, with a loaner, and that the issues with the TV would absolutely be addressed. I heard that song before though. I'm going to make a prediction, based on my previous experience, that the following will happen:

1. They pick up the TV and leave a loaner that is in horrible shape and barely works at all.

2. My plasma will be out for repair for a month or more.

3. It will return and have the same issues as before. (This is based on the reviews I read of Advisory TV's 'service')

4-A. I'll have to begin the whole BS process with Panasonic over again.

or

4-B. I donate the TV to charity, then go out of my way to publicize my poor experience with Panasonic; report them to the Better Business Bureau, Consumerist, and blogs; buy a Sony LED; never buy another Panasonic product again.

Has anyone else out there had issues with Panasonic's warranty support? This is absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a company.

I'm really kicking myself for not getting a Sony. I've bought Sony TVs my entire life and this was the first time I've not - which is proving to be a very, very poor decision on my part.

Why do you have to go through Advisory? Any authorized Panasonic repair facility can do warranty work on your TV, regardless of where you bought it.

Ian

post #42 of 87 Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

That's who they assigned to my case. You got me. I'm stuck with them now.

I swear unless some miracle happens I'll never buy another Panasonic product again. I can't believe I used to actually recommend them.

Quote:

Why do you have to go through Advisory? Any authorized Panasonic repair facility can do warranty work on your TV, regardless of where you bought it.

Ian

post #43 of 87 Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's who they assigned to my case. You got me. I'm stuck with them now.

I swear unless some miracle happens I'll never buy another Panasonic product again. I can't believe I used to actually recommend them.

You're not stuck with them. If you find they are incompetent contact Panasonic and tell them to assign another repair facility. If they don't, call the store manager where you purchase the set, get the name of his Panasonic dealer rep and call him. Dealer reps are very sensitive to these type of issues, I know, I use to be one.

Regards,
Ian

post #44 of 87 Old 07-03-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by philexile; View Post

I can say that when I was watching my 2001 Blu-Ray that I could see the IR very, very clearly in the end scenes - which really ruins the movie. The noise also was very distracting.

thats a scene from 2001: a space odyssey a 1968 movie, don't expect much of a movie that old.
post #45 of 87 Old 07-04-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

Thank you for this suggestion. I tried it last night but, unfortunately, it did not work.

Best,
Phil

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Mike

post #46 of 87 Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ian,

OK, I'll check with Panasonic to see if that can be arranged.

Thanks

Quote:

You're not stuck with them. If you find they are incompetent contact Panasonic and tell them to assign another repair facility. If they don't, call the store manager where you purchase the set, get the name of his Panasonic dealer rep and call him. Dealer reps are very sensitive to these type of issues, I know, I use to be one.

Regards,
Ian

post #47 of 87 Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Not the point of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

thats a scene from 2001: a space odyssey a 1968 movie, don't expect much of a movie that old.

post #48 of 87 Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

I have another update. Advisory TV has now had my TV for two weeks. Its important to note that, previously, I was told by Panasonic Customer Service that this was the cut-off deadline for repairs - meaning it would either:

1. Be returned to me completely fixed
2. A refund for the purchase amount would be issued
3. A replacement TV would be provided.

This decision lies in the hands of the Field Service Representative.

Last Wednesday I was told by Panasonic that the TV was repaired and it would be back with me by the beginning of this week. I was pretty excited. As of today I hadn't heard any update, so I decided to call in to check.

I was told by the customer service rep that a Field Service Representative was being sent out to 'check the work' that Advisory TV did in order to ensure that everything was working to specification - for my satisfaction of course!

At this point, I pressed to find out what exactly was done and what was repaired because I was curious and wanted to update everyone here in case someone else had this problem. The customer service representative I was dealing with said she had no way to check this out. She was very abrupt and wanted to change the subject.

I pointed out to her that, since this was a warranty repair, Advisory had to first get approval for the part being replaced before Panasonic would OK it. This is all tracked in their internal database and updated on my ticket. (The tech who was sent out by Advisory TV let that slip during his first visit - Thanks) Basically, she ended the call, assured me it was fixed, and that I would probably have the TV by Friday.

Needless to say, I was leery, so I decided to call Advisory TV directly. They told me another story. They said they took additional pictures of the TV and sent these to Panasonic for evaluation a few weeks ago and that the Field Service Representative was being sent out to evaluate the TV in person after reviewing these pictures. I asked what was repaired and she said "nothing, we only took pictures and sent these to Panasonic for review, nothing else was done to the TV." I had her double-check with the tech to be sure and he confirmed - they fixed nothing.

So, I was lied too by Panasonic - again.

I'm fed up. This has now been going on two months. I don't think Panasonic is going to fix anything and, worse, they've lied to me multiple times. I'm likely going to donate this TV to charity so I can get a decent tax write-off and make someone in need happy.

However, I want to make people aware of this absolutely awful company, Panasonic. I have a friend who works at The Consumerist, so I'm going to let her know about it for whatever its worth and I'm going to contact the Better Business Bureau as well and lodge a complaint. Luckily, I saved every communication I had with them - phone and email - so I can provide everything.

Anyone else have any suggestions on who I could report this too?

Thanks again and sorry if this post is ranty. I figured this may help if someone is considering a Panasonic. Don't do it! Also, thank you to all the people that posted here with suggestions, it was very appreciated.

Best Regards
post #49 of 87 Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Where did you buy the set Phil? Have you talked to the store manager about contacting the dealer rep?

Ian

post #50 of 87 Old 07-20-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where did you buy the set Phil? Have you contacted the store manager about contacting the dealer rep?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I purchased it at US APPLIANCE - http://www.us-appliance.com/

I just tried to call, but they are closed, so I'll try tomorrow.

I honestly don't know what they could do that I have not. Panasonic has lied to me on multiple occasions, so they'd probably just BS whoever their contact is there too. I will try though.

Thanks
post #51 of 87 Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Ian,

I purchased it at US APPLIANCE - http://www.us-appliance.com/

I just tried to call, but they are closed, so I'll try tomorrow.

I honestly don't know what they could do that I have not. Panasonic has lied to me on multiple occasions, so they'd probably just BS whoever their contact is there too. I will try though.

Thanks

That's why I don't like buying TV's on line. It's a lot easier to deal with companies that have local electronic retail stores like a Pauls TV, Electronic Expo or 6TH AVE Electronics.

Ian

post #52 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

I spoke with US Appliance. They told me that since Panasonic now has the TV and is 'repairing' it, that there is nothing they can do to assist at this point. Thank you for the suggestion though, Ian.

I do have some news however. A friend of mine told me that I should contact an executive at Panasonic to side-step the costumer service department. This morning, I spoke to someone higher in the chain of command and they are looking into this. I should be hearing back by the end of the day.

Quote:

That's why I don't like buying TV's on line. It's a lot easier to deal with companies that have local electronic retail stores like a Pauls TV, Electronic Expo or 6TH AVE Electronics.

Ian

post #53 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello,

I spoke with US Appliance. They told me that since Panasonic now has the TV and is 'repairing' it, that there is nothing they can do to assist at this point. Thank you for the suggestion though, Ian.

I do have some news however. A friend of mine told me that I should contact an executive at Panasonic to side-step the costumer service department. This morning, I spoke to someone higher in the chain of command and they are looking into this. I should be hearing back by the end of the day.

These customer service people are just paper shufflers. And it's not just Panasonic. I purchased two Samsung Blu-Ray players that developed the same audio problem after a firmware update. I contacted customer service and all they could do was recommend sending them back for service and they were not even 30 days old! I returned them to the store for a full refund and bought two Panasonics. Keep us posted.

Regards,
Ian

post #54 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Sorry about the ordeal. Send a complaint to the better business bureau. I've done it before and had good success.

I've read horror stories like this about Samsung too. I guess the downside to lower and lower prices every year is no support when something goes wrong.

I always buy online. I save about 15% on average so the risk of not being to return directly to a store is worth it IMO.
post #55 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

Another update. I just spoke with Jeff Dooley, National Field Service Manager at Panasonic. He informed me that the TV was re-determined to not be operating out of spec and it will be returned to me shortly. No repair will be attempted. Guess all that noise is absolutely normal! (sarcasm)

I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I'm contacting The Consumerist to see if they have any interest in publishing this story.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. If anything, at least I learned whose products NOT to every buy again.

Best Regards

PS - Anyone have suggestions for a Sony LED, 50 inch?
post #56 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello,

Another update. I just spoke with Jeff Dooley, National Field Service Manager at Panasonic. He informed me that the TV was re-determined to not be operating out of spec and it will be returned to me shortly. No repair will be attempted. Guess all that noise is absolutely normal! (sarcasm)

I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I'm contacting The Consumerist to see if they have any interest in publishing this story.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. If anything, at least I learned whose products NOT to every buy again.

Best Regards

PS - Anyone have suggestions for a Sony LED, 50 inch?

I would also suggest you contact your states division of consumer affairs, and file a complaint with them as well. Personally, I'd get a Lawyer, but then again I'm married to one.

Hang down your head Jeff Dooley
Hang down your head and cry
Hang down your head Jeff Dooley
Poor Boy your bond to die

Since I changed it to Jeff, I hope I don't have to pay a royalty to the Kingston Trio for that. Good luck.

Regards,
Ian

post #57 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I'll do just that. Suing them would be nice, but its really not worth the time or energy. The fact of the matter is, this whole ordeal wasn't!

I did report them already to the Better Business Bureau and The Consumerist, so maybe that will help (along with thread) show people what a horrible company Panasonic is.
post #58 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
What mode do you watch TV in? Do you see the noise in THX or Cinema modes? What settings did you game in?

Panasonic probably believes you abused the set by playing in vivid/game mode for excessive amounts of time...even if that is not the case.
post #59 of 87 Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

What mode do you watch TV in? Do you see the noise in THX or Cinema modes? What settings did you game in?

Panasonic probably believes you abused the set by playing in vivid/game mode for excessive amounts of time...even if that is not the case.

I second a request for this information.

Are the pictures are indicative of your settings you are using, i.e standard mode with 100 contrast?

If this is correct, my 42" G25 exhibits the exact same behaviour with those settings in regards to the noise.

THX with around 52 contrast is what I generally use and I still get image retention that occasionally lasts for weeks (although this is not the norm).

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

post #60 of 87 Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

Answers to your queries are included below.

Best Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

What mode do you watch TV in?

THX mode

Quote:

Do you see the noise in THX or Cinema modes?

Yes, though not as prevalent as in Standard or Vivid. We noticed the noise because my girlfriend prefers the 'vivid' mode for TV. (Don't ask me why) When my friend who has the 42" model of this line saw it, he said his didn't exhibit that amount of noise in the same setting.

Quote:

What settings did you game in?

THX

Quote:

Yes, that is exactly correct. Jeff Dooley, the gentlemen I spoke with from Panasonic, implied just that. That filled me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

----------

Just to update, I'm in the middle of trying to get Panasonic to ship back the TV so I can donate it to a charitable cause. (Still looking into options) They are actually even being a pain in the ass about this as well, asking me to call back on Monday! Its pretty incredible - I just want my TV back!

Lastly, I just ordered a Bravia XBR-HX929 as a replacement, which is what I should have done in the first place! No more Panasonic for me!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page