post #271 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

i'm totally lost by your statement, please elaborate! what's drv and cuts? SM is service menu i'm guessing?... and when you say copy?... write something down or?...

yes write them down, i copied and pasted the below instructions, write down all the drv and cuts, as well as all drv and all cut, even tho i dont know if they change.

the reason why you do this is because the values are semi calibrated at the factory for the panel, and the new A board is just at default settings. the friggin techs are suppose to do this but from reading very few do or know what they are doing.

and be very careful in the SM, you can brick your set if you push the wrong buttons.

SM Access Instructions (ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!)

Turn on the TV.
While holding down the Vol - (minus) on the back, right side of the display, press the “info” button on the remote 3 times.
The service menu appear after a few seconds.
Press 1 on the remote twice to get to the “WB-Adjust” screen.
Press 7 on the remote until the color temperature says “Warm“.
Press 3 on the remote to cycle through R-DRV, G-DRV, B-DRV, R-CUT, G-CUT and B-CUT// as a note i would copy the ALL DRV and ALL CUT also.

EDIT
to change values of drv and cuts after A board swap you press the VOL + or - the values for the drv and cuts are hex values.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

yes write them down, i copied and pasted the below instructions, write down all the drv and cuts, as well as all drv and all cut, even tho i dont know if they change.

the reason why you do this is because the values are semi calibrated at the factory for the panel, and the new A board is just at default settings. the friggin techs are suppose to do this but from reading very few do or know what they are doing.

and be very careful in the SM, you can brick your set if you push the wrong buttons.

SM Access Instructions (ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!)

Turn on the TV.
While holding down the Vol - (minus) on the back, right side of the display, press the info button on the remote 3 times.
The service menu appear after a few seconds.
Press 1 on the remote twice to get to the WB-Adjust screen.
Press 7 on the remote until the color temperature says Warm.
Press 3 on the remote to cycle through R-DRV, G-DRV, B-DRV, R-CUT, G-CUT and B-CUT// as a note i would copy the ALL DRV and ALL CUT also.

Can you elaborate on this more, for us noobs? What ARE the "drv" and "cuts" that we should be writing down? Once we Press 3 on the remote in the SM, how do we go about adjusting those values back to what they were before the new A-board install?

I have a 3rd-party company coming to my house Tuesday to address the FBr issue, and don't want anything to get "messed up." From reading this I understand that the 3rd-party companies will definitely be replacing my A-board, correct?

post #273 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I also am wondering about this process... Can you just go back in and change those settings back after the new A Board is in? And what happens if I don't?... Colors and whatnot will be off?...

I'm wondering why this isn't documented in tfotlz's page here... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3775
post #274 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

Can you elaborate on this more, for us noobs? What ARE the "drv" and "cuts" that we should be writing down? Once we Press 3 on the remote in the SM, how do we go about adjusting those values back to what they were before the new A-board install?

I have a 3rd-party company coming to my house Tuesday to address the FBr issue, and don't want anything to get "messed up." From reading this I understand that the 3rd-party companies will definitely be replacing my A-board, correct?

i edited my post above.... you press VOL + or - to change the values after the swap.

yes if you dont do this the new A board wont have the factory calibrated values to match the panel, so to speak.

from what i see on here i think more have not done it than have. because they didnt know. it just has to do with grayscale, so of you dont do it it doent hurt anything per say but your grayscale will be off.

again be very careful in the SM.
post #275 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

I posted my MID settings earlier in the thread, and it looks decent for Bluray in bright daylight, but I can't seem to get it "decent" for DISH.......it just seems off like everyone has said. It is close, but depending on the content, sometimes faces look too red, sometimes too green......strange. Yet, bluray with the settings I posted is tolerable to me for daytime viewing. Both HDMI inputs too.....

However, in dim light at night, cinema always blows me away......I tried panel brightness on MID at night just to compare, and although dark scenes have more POP, bright scenes are blinding!!!! Even my wife said it was way too bright, and this is with lights on in the room. I also recently bought an LG LCD and it is no where near as bright as this st30 on MID......

As mentioned by Mark though, I have to agree with him, that this is the best set I have owned so far. And, the first set ever that a preset mode "Cinema" is pretty much perfect for me out of the box!

Well, with a little more trial and error, I settled on my posted settings except with gamma at 2.2 for DISH and it seems much better......for bright day viewing.
post #276 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I also am wondering about this process... Can you just go back in and change those settings back after the new A Board is in? And what happens if I don't?... Colors and whatnot will be off?...

I'm wondering why this isn't documented in tfotlz's page here... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3775

I didn't include it since it's not a requirement to get the FBr patch and don't want to encourage people to fool around with the service menu beyond checking the initial screen to obtain the PDP EEP value. I personally didn't write down any drv/cut values before my A-Board swap, nor did I make any changes in the service menu afterward and didn't notice any changes. Everyone is entitled to do it, and it doesn't hurt to write down the values as long as you are comfortable with the service menu just in case you want to change them at some point, but it's not a requirement.
post #277 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 PM

I didn't update my cuts and drives and I noticed no difference. Of course I am soon to get a panel replacement anyway for an unrelated problem, so my calibration would be worthless.
post #278 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I didn't include it since it's not a requirement to get the FBr patch and don't want to encourage people to fool around with the service menu beyond checking the initial screen to obtain the PDP EEP value. I personally didn't write down any drv/cut values before my A-Board swap, nor did I make any changes in the service menu afterward and didn't notice any changes. Everyone is entitled to do it, and it doesn't hurt to write down the values as long as you are comfortable with the service menu just in case you want to change them at some point, but it's not a requirement.

everything you say is true, but they do do a semi calibration at the factory because all panels are a little different, so for me even tho it may be a small change it is worth it, and can only be an advantage.

i mean we so are anal why wouldnt you want to do it? but of course you are entering the SM so be careful.

i just need to get a set that doesnt have the pink tint problem.
post #279 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

everything you say is true, but they do do a semi calibration at the factory because all panels are a little different, so for me even tho it may be a small change it is worth it, and can only be an advantage

But that semi calibration would be with the original A Board... the new A Board may have it's own agenda... I mean, if you apply the old A Board settings to the new A Board, that's not guaranteed to be the right settings for the new A Board... Know what I mean? I don't know if anyone really knows right or wrong on this...
post #280 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But that semi calibration would be with the original A Board... the new A Board may have it's own agenda... I mean, if you apply the old A Board settings to the new A Board, that's not guaranteed to be the right settings for the new A Board... Know what I mean? I don't know if anyone really knows right or wrong on this...

all A boards have the same preset values until they are calibrated for the panel. i will at the very least write down the A board values before the swap. i read that it is proper procedure for the tech to download the A board settings to an SD card before the swap then up load them to the new board.
post #281 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

TV: 60ST30
Build Date: May 2011
PDP EEP: 72.51

R-CUT: 80
G-CUT: 80
B-CUT: 80
R-DRV: FF
G-DRV: F0
B-DRV: 5A
ALL-CUT: 80
ALL-DRV: FF
post #282 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i would bet the only ones that will be different are the DRV values. ive seen other reported settings and i believe that the cuts are always 80.
post #283 of 1413 Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

So basically you are saying "if you are a noob, don't mess with it"? Because I am a noob, and am afraid to mess with it... Lol

In all seriousness though - I don't think I would feel comfortable messing inside the SM, but I am going to bring it up to the tech that is coming to replace the A-board. If he says they are not going to do the flash re-calibration (or plays dumb and says nobody does that/is supposed to do that), so I argue with him or push for it to happen? Or call Panasonic back and ask them to send a different company?

post #284 of 1413 Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Here are mine:

TV: 50ST30
PDP EEP: 52.5d

G-DRV: E4
B-DRV: 59

I have no idea what they are going to do once they replace my panel. I'm still waiting for the part.
post #285 of 1413 Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After the A Board Swap:

PDP EEP: 72.53

G-DRV: FB
B-DRV: 6C

So it looks like G-DRV and B-DRV changed... I'm going to leave them at their new settings for the time being and play around with the picture settings...

Regarding the A Board Swap procedure... Wow... The guy seriously did it in 15 minutes. He didn't even shut his van off! Was fantastic!
post #286 of 1413 Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

My Panasonic 60ST30 May Build - 72.53 (post A Board swap) Settings...

-------------------------------------------------------

HDMI 1 - PlayStation 3

Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 57
Color: 55
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: -20
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: 0
W/B Low R: -20
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: 0
Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.2
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Aspect Adjustments
HD Size: Size 2

Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light

HDMI 2 - Panasonic BDT310 / HDMI 3 - Denon 3310/DirecTV/Xbox 360

Picture
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 57
Color: 50

Pro Settings

W/B High R: -20
W/B Low R: -20

Aspect Adjustments
HD Size: Size 2 (BDT310) / Size 1 (Denon 3310/DirecTV/Xbox 360)

Advance Picture

Edit: 12/10/2011 -

- I put everything on Mid Panel Brightness. Finally happy with my results!!
- Avatar and Tron look absolutely stunning with my current settings.
- I don't know how anyone could use Low Panel Brightness after seeing Avatar and Tron on Mid, or if they play games.
- Low Panel Brightness looks lifeless to me now. Mark my words, I will NEVER go back.
- My BDT310 and DirecTV settings are essentially the same, only differing by HD Size.
- I cranked up the Color 5 clicks on PS3 to get a little more zing out of my games. Uncharted 3 is jaw-dropping.
post #287 of 1413 Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:

Well, I have a LOT of settings to post for my Panasonic 60ST30 May Build - 72.53 (post A Board swap)... I have been literally playing with my TV since I got the A Board replaced 10 hours ago, calibrating for different sources... Here's shortened explanations of how I derived at my settings...

DirecTV - I couldn't stand Low Panel Brightness, so I went with Mid. Gamma 2.2 made everything red, so I went with 2.0. Then everything else was fine tweaking to get flesh tones as accurate as possible. I watched a ton of various content... Toy Story 3, The League, ESPN, Jimmy Fallon, and ultimately I settled with what's posted below... I also have an Xbox 360 running off of this input (both sources are going through my Denon 3310) but it's rarely used, just Kinect here and there.

Panasonic BDT310 - I intensively used the Disney WOW blu-ray, which actually blew away my expectations. Watched demo content, Tron, Bones, just a lot of variety... all looked great. My BDT310 will be strictly used for movies at night, so I'm okay with the Low Panel Brightness... I got it bright enough for my taste, while not being over-bright for night viewing...

PlayStation 3 - This used to be my movie machine, not anymore, strictly games now. I started out with Low Panel Brightness, then played around with Mid Panel Brightness. Anyone who is using this as their primary gaming console and using Low Panel Brightness is CRAZY. Throw Mid on, try out my settings, oh my goodness they're something to behold. I played MotorStorm, Uncharted 3, and Battlefield 3... Soooo good with these settings. Flipping back to Low Panel Brightness makes the games look so sad... sucks the life right out of 'em.

-------------------------------
HDMI 1 - DirecTV

Picture
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 65
Color: 45

Pro Settings

W/B High R: -10
W/B High B: -10
W/B Low R: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.0

Aspect Adjustments
HD Size: Size 1

Advance Picture
3:2 PullDown: Auto

HDMI 2 - Panasonic BDT310

Picture
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 55

Pro Settings

W/B High R: +10
W/B High B: +10
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low B: -8
Panel Brightness: Low

Aspect Adjustments

Advance Picture
3:2 PullDown: Auto

HDMI 3 - PlayStation 3

Picture
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 55
Color Temp: Warm1

Pro Settings

W/B High R: 0
W/B Low R: 0

Aspect Adjustments

If I make any changes down the road I'll update this post. I want to point out that after swapping my A Board my panel calibrates differently. Also, a few of my DRV settings on the A Board are different now, and I chose to NOT switch them to their old settings, leaving the new A Board as-is. Two things I want to point out. One, my PS3 and BDT310 calibrated very differently using the WOW disc... Then I decided who cares, as I want my games to pop off! Two, it's crazy how different all of my settings are. I used to run everything through my Denon 3310 to my 50G15, and I planned on upgrading to a Denon 3312 (for 3D pass-through) and running everything through identically. But now after seeing how different I like my primary sources, I'm totally content the way it is. My DirecTV is nice and bright enough for day/evening viewing. My BDT310 is as accurate as possible for movies. And my PS3 games just look phenomenal!!

Hope this helps some of you. Enjoy!

Can anyone explain how I can set up 3 different custom modes using a stereo receiver ? All my hdmi inputs are connected via my receiver except the tv..
post #288 of 1413 Old 12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by g30v View Post

Can anyone explain how I can set up 3 different custom modes using a stereo receiver ? All my hdmi inputs are connected via my receiver except the tv..

Since you are feeding your TV from your AVR via one HDMI input, the answer is simple: you can't. The TV's input settings control the video settings, not the AVR. The only thing that I can think of is to get a 3 way HDMI splitter and connect your AVR's output to it and then connect each of the the splitter's 3 outputs to their own HDMI inputs on the TV. Then you can use whatever Custom settings you want on each of them. It's a pretty cumbersome way to go though. Better to come up with settings that generally look good for all of the devices connected via the AVR and stay with them. Otherwise you're going to be endlessly tinkering with your Custom settings whenever you switch devices.
post #289 of 1413 Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Since you are feeding your TV from your AVR via one HDMI input, the answer is simple: you can't. The TV's input settings control the video settings, not the AVR. The only thing that I can think of is to get a 3 way HDMI splitter and connect your AVR's output to it and then connect each of the the splitter's 3 outputs to their own HDMI inputs on the TV. Then you can use whatever Custom settings you want on each of them. It's a pretty cumbersome way to go though. Better to come up with settings that generally look good for all of the devices connected via the AVR and stay with them. Otherwise you're going to be endlessly tinkering with your Custom settings whenever you switch devices.

Thanks that's what I thought, besides I use a ps3 for blu ray/gaming and wouldn't be able to have different custom settings for both..But could I not connect my ps3 directly into hdmi 2 on the tv and use optical out for the sound via receiver? Then just leave the hd pvr cable box directly into the receiver that way I can set custom modes for tv hdmi 1 and hdmi 2 game\\blu ray? Would that work?
post #290 of 1413 Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Ok just wanted to share that it did work.. I have my pvr HD BOX connected via hdmi to receiver then to tv through hdmi port 1 with custom settings for tv. The ps3 is directly connected to the tv via hdmi port 2 and optical out to receiver with d nice blu ray settings and James Cameron 3d settings . Lastly optical out audio from tv to reciever for viera cast. Everything worked out well, here's hoping I don't need to upgrade my ps3 blu ray player anytime soon . LOL.. Thanks all
post #291 of 1413 Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by g30v View Post

Ok just wanted to share that it did work.. I have my pvr HD BOX connected via hdmi to receiver then to tv through hdmi port 1 with custom settings for tv. The ps3 is directly connected to the tv via hdmi port 2 and optical out to receiver with d nice blu ray settings and James Cameron 3d settings . Lastly optical out audio from tv to reciever for viera cast. Everything worked out well, here's hoping I don't need to upgrade my ps3 blu ray player anytime soon . LOL.. Thanks all

Glad you tried that and it worked. The big plus about using the Blu-ray player to AVR to TVvia HDMI is getting the superior lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio. I run my Comcast DVR directly to my TV's HDMI 1 input for video and audio when my AVR isn't on but also have it connected to my AVR via an Optical cable for when I watch movies and music programs and want DD5.1 sound. My Blu-ray player goes to the AVR via HDMI and then out to the TV to HDMI 2. That gives me the ideal sound for all DVD and Blu-ray formats, although it means that the AVR must be on when the BR player is.
post #292 of 1413 Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Glad you tried that and it worked. The big plus about using the Blu-ray player to AVR to TVvia HDMI is getting the superior lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio. I run my Comcast DVR directly to my TV's HDMI 1 input for video and audio when my AVR isn't on but also have it connected to my AVR via an Optical cable for when I watch movies and music programs and want DD5.1 sound. My Blu-ray player goes to the AVR via HDMI and then out to the TV to HDMI 2. That gives me the ideal sound for all DVD and Blu-ray formats, although it means that the AVR must be on when the BR player is.

If you connect the Blu Ray directly to the TV via HDMI, can you use ARC between the AVR and TV to get lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio? If so, this would simplify the cabling. You could skip the optical to the AVR.
post #293 of 1413 Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

If you connect the Blu Ray directly to the TV via HDMI, can you use ARC between the AVR and TV to get lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio? If so, this would simplify the cabling. You could skip the optical to the AVR.

Nope.
post #294 of 1413 Old 12-11-2011, 08:55 AM

OK, hopefully I am done playing around now with my daytime settings...LOL!

So, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that the CNET settings didn't look too bad, but most said they were horrible. After playing around trying to get DISH to look decent (still love cinema for everything in dim lighting), I figured what the heck and plugged in the CNET settings and was pretty surprised how good DISH looked, however, BluRay looked horrible! After tweaking both sources, I finally settled on the following, all settings are the same for DISH 1080i HDMI and Bluray 1080p/24 HDMI, all BluRay changes are in red:

CNET MODIFIED

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +80
Brightness: +59 BluRay: 56
Color: +32 BluRay: 47
Tint: -1 BluRay: -2
Sharpness: +50
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
Photo enhancement: [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: -50
W/B high G: -49
W/B high B: -26
W/B low R: +6
W/B low G: +1
W/B low B: -6
Black extension: 0
Gamma adjustment: 2.4 BluRay: 2.2
Panel brightness: MID
Contour emphasis: Off
post #295 of 1413 Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Can we stay on topic? There are massive threads out there for "how do I...?", FBr fix info, and the like. If you don't have anything to say directly related to picture settings for the ST30 then please refrain from derailing.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #296 of 1413 Old 12-12-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The biggest problem I am getting from mid panel setting in the TV tuner input is the white is far too hot and some other colors get that "hot" look...like they're neon or something...can that be adjusted in the Service Menu, I wonder..? Is this the result of the intentional voltage retardation Panasonic implemented for the stupid Energy Star rating?
D Nice calibrated ST30's and he won't even talk about using anything but the low panel brightness setting...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #297 of 1413 Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

The biggest problem I am getting from mid panel setting in the TV tuner input is the white is far too hot and some other colors get that "hot" look...like they're neon or something...can that be adjusted in the Service Menu, I wonder..? Is this the result of the intentional voltage retardation Panasonic implemented for the stupid Energy Star rating?
D Nice calibrated ST30's and he won't even talk about using anything but the low panel brightness setting...

Try out my settings posted above and tweak as necessary for your panel. The whites are VERY white at times, but it's the best I've been able to achieve. I also wish D-Nice would post a set of calibration settings using Mid Panel Brightness... I totally get that it's not going to be as accurate, but I cannot tolerate Low Panel Brightness.
post #298 of 1413 Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Try out my settings posted above and tweak as necessary for your panel. The whites are VERY white at times, but it's the best I've been able to achieve. I also wish D-Nice would post a set of calibration settings using Mid Panel Brightness... I totally get that it's not going to be as accurate, but I cannot tolerate Low Panel Brightness.

Which one of those input settings would you recommend for coaxial SD cable and OTA digital HD?

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #299 of 1413 Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Which one of those input settings would you recommend for coaxial SD cable and OTA digital HD?

I was going to say, it sounded like you were inputting a OTA or coax signal. That's why we do not get the same results with mid panel as you are seeing.
post #300 of 1413 Old 12-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

I hate to get off-topic, but I really don't know where else to post this.

I just attempted to copy the A-board settings to an SD card (per the procedures that can be found on the forums), and the process took way more than 6 mintues, and then my TV screen just went black...as if it gave up. The TV is still powered on, but the "getting" screen went away. Should I just take the SD card out? What would cause this?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page