Panasonic ST30 DIY Calibration and Settings Thread - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh2173 View Post

My only question is why you are so apprehensive in displaying your current settings? Do you want some monetary compensation for revealing them? You wrote so much information about how you went about it, but you refused to display your results. Your reasoning is that you feel it would not help us. I think we can judge for oursvelves if it is an improvement or not, and just revert to our previous settings if we find them not to our liking. If you prefer to send your readings thru private message, feel free to send them to me.

Because there is ZERO point to it. Each individual display is unque in this regard; settings depend on the set's phosphor age, age and variation of internal electronics, light output of the display, grayscale shifting, etc., etc. etc. All of the grayscale settings, brightness, contrast, color, tint, etc. are all part of a proper calibration and you cannot extract settings from there and apply to another set. Think of them being integrated together as one unit. In addition, Gremmy is using a video processor which completely changes everything even further. He's doing his grayscale and gamma through it to optimize. I am not sure why some people cannot comprehend this. There are no "secret" settings you can borrow that will provide anywhere near a proper or acccurate image. If you don't want to pay a good calibrator, or buy and learn the equipment to do so, simply use the AVS test patterns (which are free) with a Blu-ray player and that will get you much closer than borrowing settings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

200 bucks was a small price to pay for me to get my feet wet using an external VP. But now I've got the bug big time. If you're a serious tinkerer, nothing offers flexibility like this type of unit.

Want to calibrate at 2.1 instead of 2.2 gamma? No big deal.

Want to set up presets for daytime and nighttime viewing and another specifically for the witching hour? Hey, no problem!

Want to dial in more accurate colors? You can do this too. (This particular unit does not have a fully functional CMS like the Radiance, but it does have the ability to adjust the luminance of each color independently.)

This thing is addictive.

Congratulations... I'm jealous. I've been considering a VP for a while now and although I don't care about 3D, I have to stick with HDMI. The only thing that prevents me from buying the current Radiance Mini-3D is the price but I'm still working on that.

Just to clarify using the connections found on the Mini as an example. It has one HDMI Out Port which would go to my P60ST30, and two HDMI In Ports where I would connect my Blu-ray Player and Cable Box.

Since a VP is setup based on the display, I'm assuming I would not need different presets for the Blu-ray player and Cable Box? But I might want different presets for day time viewing and night time viewing? I'm just trying to clarify all the uses for presets on a VP and how many I would need.

Thanks
post #633 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneNumm View Post

I wonder if there is a variance with panel brightness with the ST30's. My 55ST30 was still way too dark for me, even after using gremmy's base settings AND setting the panel brightness to high (and having it in a light controlled room). It seemed to have been defective though (it also had quite a bit of green tint, and posterisation, so I had to return it for a different TV which I'm quite happy with), so possibly it was darker than other ST30's. But I see others commenting about the lack of panel brightness as well. If they all are only as bright as my ST30 was, then I'm not sure how other owners deal with that.

I think there is , I have heard that below the 65" & 60" they are not as bright, I like gremmys settings I just would like it a bit brighter without sacrificing anything else , I notice even when all the lights are out the image is just a bit dark for me and I don't get that pop I had with my LCD. Also is the green tint a issue , I only notice a green along the right side of my screen , just like a small line all he way to the right but only if I walk up to the tv , sitting back a few feet I don't notice a thing . Maybe gremmy can chime in ?
post #634 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Because there is ZERO point to it. Each individual display is unque in this regard; settings depend on the set's phosphor age, age and variation of internal electronics, light output of the display, grayscale shifting, etc., etc. etc. All of the grayscale settings, brightness, contrast, color, tint, etc. are all part of a proper calibration and you cannot extract settings from there and apply to another set. Think of them being integrated together as one unit. In addition, Gremmy is using a video processor which completely changes everything even further. He's doing his grayscale and gamma through it to optimize. I am not sure why some people cannot comprehend this. There are no "secret" settings you can borrow that will provide anywhere near a proper or acccurate image. If you don't want to pay a good calibrator, or buy and learn the equipment to do so, simply use the AVS test patterns (which are free) with a Blu-ray player and that will get you much closer than borrowing settings.

I have calibrated TV with my blu-ray Oppo BDP-95 player using the Spears calibration blu-ray disc. I used Gremmy previous settings for my Cable TV input.

Russell
post #635 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

ChadB is outstanding and not too far away.

Thanks
post #636 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I guess I will find a professional calibrator.

Don't be afraid to contact D-Nice via his email. See if he will be in your area. You have to be patient but persistent in contacting him. I promise it will be $300 well spent and if you are going that route, might as well go to one of the best. He will leave you with a jaw dropping day and night settings per input. He charges a small additional charge to calibrate the 3D. Additionally, his equipment cost a lot more than a couple hundred bucks.

Edit: D-Nice is in S.C.
post #637 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Don't be afraid to contact D-Nice via his email. See if he will be in your area. You have to be patient but persistent in contacting him. I promise it will be $300 well spent and if you are going that route, might as well go to one of the best. He will leave you with a jaw dropping day and night settings per input. He charges a small additional charge to calibrate the 3D. Additionally, his equipment cost a lot more than a couple hundred bucks.

Edit: D-Nice is in S.C.

I followed D-Nice's procedures and would not mine using him. So he would make a trip to Las Vegas, NV?

Russell
post #638 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

I followed D-Nice's procedures and would not mine using him. So he would make a trip to Las Vegas, NV?

If there are two additional people in LV wanting a calibration, yes
post #639 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

My only question is why you are so apprehensive in displaying your current settings? Do you want some monetary compensation for revealing them? You wrote so much information about how you went about it, but you refused to display your results. Your reasoning is that you feel it would not help us. I think we can judge for oursvelves if it is an improvement or not, and just revert to our previous settings if we find them not to our liking. If you prefer to send your readings thru private message, feel free to send them to me.

he's using a video processor, the settings on his tv mean absolutely nothing, and his video processor settings would be of absolutely no use to you. He probably has his high/low settings on factory default.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #640 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Any one got any good settings for 3D content?????
post #641 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

If there are two additional people in LV wanting a calibration, yes

That is good to know. I used a local one who worked for a High End dealer a year ago, and he came over and did by eye thou he only charged $100. I was expecting some equipment but to my suprise he only required my remote and visually calibrated my old 60 inch LG Plasma, which I no longer have.

Russell
post #642 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wanted to post my settings for anyone interested in trying them. Though I like Gremmy's, these are a modification of those which I think provides a lot more pop, at least for my set (yes, I know everyone is different). The big difference was getting rid of that washed out look from HDMI set to Graphics. Setting that to OFF and dropping the Black extension one notch, really does the trick. You just have to play with the Brightness and Contrast to keep it from clipping the whites. Colors were also adjusted to compensate. Of course, I don't have any green tinge to deal with on my set. You may find a little too much punch for nighttime viewing but it works for me right now. YMMV of course.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +76
Brightness: +75
Color: +37
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +35
Color temp: Normal
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
Photo enhancement: [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: 0
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: -3
W/B low R: 5
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: 2
Black extension: 4
Gamma adjustment: 2.2
Panel brightness: Med
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]
Content Type: OFF

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: Off [grayed out]
24p Direct in: 60Hz [grayed out]
post #643 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Thanks for all the help with my simple question.

/sarcasm off
post #644 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggnasty View Post

/sarcasm off

In the nearly 12 hours since you posted your question, you could have went to Pansonic's website and downloaded the manual to answered your own question.

It is not buried. If you would like to see exactly where the pro settings selection is located in the menu, download the manual and review the menu structure.
post #645 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:

are the "pro settings" you all refer to easily assessable? Is it buried in a dark corner I really don't have sense enough to visit?

Quote:

/sarcasm off

Vodoo magic is required to get to the infamous "pro settings". They are not even in the Panasonic manual - D-nice is simply being mean and yanking your chain.

Well, maybe not. If you go into "custom mode" in your new 55ST30, the pro settings will be hard for you NOT to find.

Cheers
post #646 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

I wanted to post my settings for anyone interested in trying them. Though I like Gremmy's, these are a modification of those which I think provides a lot more pop, at least for my set (yes, I know everyone is different). The big difference was getting rid of that washed out look from HDMI set to Graphics. Setting that to OFF and dropping the Black extension one notch, really does the trick. You just have to play with the Brightness and Contrast to keep it from clipping the whites. Colors were also adjusted to compensate. Of course, I don't have any green tinge to deal with on my set. You may find a little too much punch for nighttime viewing but it works for me right now. YMMV of course.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +76
Brightness: +75
Color: +39
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +35
Color temp: Normal
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
Photo enhancement: [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: 0
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: -3
W/B low R: 5
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: 2
Black extension: 4
Gamma adjustment: 2.2
Panel brightness: Med
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]
Content Type: OFF

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

I just tried your settings and I agree your settings really make the TV pop now. These are my new settings for sure. Thanks for your generous input in helping others. Much appreciated.

Russell
post #647 of 1416 Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:

I just tried your settings and I agree your settings really make the TV pop now. These are my new settings for sure. Thanks for your generous input in helping others. Much appreciated.

I see more depth, and really shows the advantages of Plasma over LED.

Russell
post #648 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:

I tried them aswell & have to agree they are pretty nice , only thing I noticed was flesh tones were washed out a tiny bit , like my family was watching American idol last night and that guy Ryan sea crest is usually very tan and he was more of a very white almost zombie like and j lo didn't look so Spanish anymore . Is there a way to dial in a lil more color in the skin tones ? If so I think it would be a perfect setting. Also thankyou for your help & time here.
post #649 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 AM

So is there an official best setting for this tv?
post #650 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneNumm View Post

Vodoo magic is required to get to the infamous "pro settings". They are not even in the Panasonic manual - D-nice is simply being mean and yanking your chain.

Well, maybe not. If you go into "custom mode" in your new 55ST30, the pro settings will be hard for you NOT to find.

Cheers

Thank you...I appreciate it.
post #651 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

In the nearly 12 hours since you posted your question, you could have went to Pansonic's website and downloaded the manual to answered your own question.

It is not buried. If you would like to see exactly where the pro settings selection is located in the menu, download the manual and review the menu structure.

By the same token, you could have answered the question in less time than it took to make your condescending reply.
post #652 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:

By the same token, you could have answered the question in less time than it took to make your condescending reply.

DNice has made alot of contributions here and I for one would like to see him continue to post, you are off base imo.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #653 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

I tried them aswell & have to agree they are pretty nice , only thing I noticed was flesh tones were washed out a tiny bit , like my family was watching American idol last night and that guy Ryan sea crest is usually very tan and he was more of a very white almost zombie like and j lo didn't look so Spanish anymore . Is there a way to dial in a lil more color in the skin tones ? If so I think it would be a perfect setting. Also thankyou for your help & time here.

Well, each set is different. I did the breakin slides if that matters. I did watch AI last night and in my case the colors had a bit too much saturation. However, Ryan looked too tan and J Lo looked perfect. Though the videos they showed were all over the place in flesh tones from green to purple. Each show is a little different, especially some dark ABC programs. Anyway, I'm glad it helps some people.
post #654 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Advising you to use your human intellegence to hit up Panasonic's website instead of sitting and waiting on this message board to find an answer was condescending? Ok, I will gladly accept your comment. I've been here for years and have seen plently of individuals like yourself who are just to damn lazy to do some research on your own. In less than 5 minutes you could have went to Panasonic's website and used their search function to get the manual. You probably could have gotten to the manual faster than 5 minutes if you would have Googled it. Instead, you chose to wait 12 hours for a reply on a message board.... for your "simple question"

And BTW, I did answer your question in my response.
post #655 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Well, each set is different. I did the breakin slides if that matters. I did watch AI last night and in my case the colors had a bit too much saturation. However, Ryan looked too tan and J Lo looked perfect. Though the videos they showed were all over the place in flesh tones from green to purple. Each show is a little different, especially some dark ABC programs. Anyway, I'm glad it helps some people.

Hey i def appreciate it and def noticed it was brighter and more vibrant to my eyes so I thankyou for that and your time , I am also using Hdmi size 1 instead of 2 , how would I dial in a bit more flesh tones ? I don't really know what each setting means and how I would go about this . Thankyou
post #656 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I agree only thing I notice was maybe a bit too much color saturation, but this is so close, I am sure you will improve on these easily. I am amazed and like the fun in this, sharing settings and seeing how they improve the picture. I was watching AI myself last night analyzing the new settings.

Russell
post #657 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I've already mentioned once previously that my settings are in the VIDEO PROCESSOR, not the TELEVISION. A video processor is an external piece of hardware. No one else in this thread owns this video processor, so what point would there be in displaying my settings? Here, let me give you an example of what i'm talking about:

To dial in nearly perfect color decoding (less than 5 dE on each primary and secondary with red luminance PERFECT), here are my settings:

COLOR CONTROL ON THE TELEVISION: 59

Settings on the Lumagen Video Processor:

COLR: 112
HUE: 130
COLRED: 15
HUERED: 1
COLGRN: -65
HUEGRN: 4

You see? You have no way to duplicate this in your home. (Even if you could, your results would not be the same, but that's a separate issue).

I've also got myriad customized settings set up in the VP for gamma (on each of the 11 points). Once again, you cannot use these settings. You have nowhere to put them in.
post #658 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC View Post

Congratulations... I'm jealous. I've been considering a VP for a while now and although I don't care about 3D, I have to stick with HDMI. The only thing that prevents me from buying the current Radiance Mini-3D is the price but I'm still working on that.

Just to clarify using the connections found on the Mini as an example. It has one HDMI Out Port which would go to my P60ST30, and two HDMI In Ports where I would connect my Blu-ray Player and Cable Box.

Since a VP is setup based on the display, I'm assuming I would not need different presets for the Blu-ray player and Cable Box? But I might want different presets for day time viewing and night time viewing? I'm just trying to clarify all the uses for presets on a VP and how many I would need.

Thanks

Well, you may need different presets for each input, depending upon your gear. For example, let's say you have a Blu-Ray player that outputs YCC, and a gaming console that outputs RGB, and a cable box that makes everything too dark for whatever reason (crappy hardware, possibly). The good news is that the VP allows you to handle all of this. If you have a DVD player on one input and a BLU-RAY player on another, you can use test disc patterns to calibrate each separately and you might actually find that they are slightly different in their performance on grayscale.

I currently have only one output setting to handle all of my inputs, but my inputs are fairly limited.

By the way, the picture on this set is truly singing now. Finally got the color spot on. I am also using a custom gamma curve that starts down low at 2.0, spends mid-ire levels at 2.1, at curves up to 2.2 in the upper IREs. It freakin' rocks.
post #659 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

Hey i def appreciate it and def noticed it was brighter and more vibrant to my eyes so I thankyou for that and your time , I am also using Hdmi size 1 instead of 2 , how would I dial in a bit more flesh tones ? I don't really know what each setting means and how I would go about this . Thankyou

Not sure why you like Size 1 since it crops off a good portion of the picture. But flesh tones are the trickiest thing to get right. Feel free to try Warm1 rather than Normal, since I was waffling back and forth on this. You can also try playing with Color Temp, as more negative will give you less greenish flesh tones. Otherwise, you have to play with the Pro Setting white balance controls on your own for your own TV.
post #660 of 1416 Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

I've already mentioned once previously that my settings are in the VIDEO PROCESSOR, not the TELEVISION. A video processor is an external piece of hardware. No one else in this thread owns this video processor, so what point would there be in displaying my settings? Here, let me give you an example of what i'm talking about:

To dial in nearly perfect color decoding (less than 5 dE on each primary and secondary with red luminance PERFECT), here are my settings:

COLOR CONTROL ON THE TELEVISION: 59

Settings on the Lumagen Video Processor:

COLR: 112
HUE: 130
COLRED: 15
HUERED: 1
COLGRN: -65
HUEGRN: 4

You see? You have no way to duplicate this in your home. (Even if you could, your results would not be the same, but that's a separate issue).

I've also got myriad customized settings set up in the VP for gamma (on each of the 11 points). Once again, you cannot use these settings. You have nowhere to put them in.

Totally understand now, thanks.

Russell
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread