Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1413 Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Does anybody on here do anything with their 3D settings, I just got the Xpand glasses today and have been comparing them to the PS3 glasses. I must say there doesn't seem to be any difference between the 2( atleast 3d wise). The Xpands are a lot more comfortable. come with 3 batteries per pair. and 3 nose pieces. The lens does seem a little clearer on the Xpands, but the PS3's have the rechargeable battery. The Sony ones are going back.

Those (obviously) work with this TV? Have you compared them to the Panasonic glasses or the SainSonics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1413 Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

Those (obviously) work with this TV? Have you compared them to the Panasonic glasses or the SainSonics?

Yes they do work, and work good. I have only compared them to the PS3 glasses, same performance, a lot more comfortable. My 8 yr old preferred the Xpands over the PS3 glasses. The Xpands are a little clearer( not as dark).
post #723 of 1413 Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-3DG...777164&sr=8-16
These are the ones I got, I only got these over the regular X103's because I had a Dell Gift card that was expiring, and these were all that was in stock at the time.
post #724 of 1413 Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Any thoughts on 3d settings other than those provided by James Cameron on the Panasonic site?
post #725 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

Any thoughts on 3d settings other than those provided by James Cameron on the Panasonic site?

Do those apply to the ST30's as well????
post #726 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Do those apply to the ST30's as well????

I'm sure they don't, but I haven't seen 3d settings for the ST30 posted elsewhere.
post #727 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

Rookie Calibration Question:

Using something like the WOW BluRay ... do these settings stay the same for all content? Like 1080i FIOS and regular DVD?

Can you use the DVD to calibrate all three HDMI inputs?

You cannot keep seperate calibrations for each input. You have Standard, Vivid, Cinema and Custom which can be tweaked and saved individually. Each setting is available to all inputs
post #728 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

I did not like James Cameron settings, washed out blacks, maybe good for bright scenes but really awful with darker scenes such as the ones in PC4.
post #729 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

I did not like James Cameron settings, washed out blacks, maybe good for bright scenes but really awful with darker scenes such as the ones in PC4.

Unfortunately those settings are not for the st30 line tv's.
post #730 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 AM

HomeTheater.com posted 3D settings. I believe they did service menu calibration as well.

Sorry. Don't have enough post to show URL. Go to the end of the 50ST30 review for settings.
post #731 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

You chopped off the two numbers you needed to post. The serial is two letters than eight numbers. You care about the first four numbers. Regardless a December 2011 build has the update already. Your first two numbers must be at least 12, prolly greater.

Guys. I bought 2 55ST30 to replace my "42 Panny PX60Us.

The first one was mfgd August 2011 and has serial # greater than XX1215.

Just got the second one home and the serial # on the box is XX1132 and it was the only one left in that particular store.

So can I resolve the issues discussed here by loading a firmware update or similar or is there a chance it will need hardware replacement etc? If that's the case I'm thinking I might travel to another store that's a little farther but has 3 units left in stock and see if I can get a later build date?
post #732 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ac View Post

HomeTheater.com posted 3D settings. I believe they did service menu calibration as well.

Sorry. Don't have enough post to show URL. Go to the end of the 50ST30 review for settings.

Thankyou I will give those a try ...

2D Settings
Picture mode Cinema
Contrast 90
Brightness 56
Color 41
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color temp. Warm2
Color mgmt. Off
C.A.T.S.: Off Off
Video NR Off
Aspect adjustments

Screen format As required
HD Size Size 2
HDMI settings Default Auto/Off
Advanced picture
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion
smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: Auto
24p Direct in: 96Hz/60Hz
Pixel Orbiter Enable
3D Settings
Picture mode Custom
Contrast 100
Brightness 53
Color 43
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color temp Warm2
Color mgmt. Off
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR: Off
Aspect adjustments
HD Size Size 2
Pro Settings
Color space Normal
W/B high/R,G.B -16,0,-6
W/B low/R,G,B -5,-8,-10
W/B detail adjustment N/A
Red gain, Green gain, Blue gain
10IRE 0,0,0
20IRE +7,0,-10
30IRE -1,-2,+1
40IRE +2,-1,+9
50IRE -1,-3,+4
60IRE 0,0,-9
70IRE 0,0,+2
80IRE 0,0,+3
90IRE -2,0,-2
100IRE -5,0,-8
Black extension: 5
Gamma adjustment: 2.0 or 2.2
Panel brightness: High
Contour emphasis: Off
A.G.C.: 0
Gamma detail
adjustment N/A
C.M.S. (red, green blue,
hue and saturation; Color
detail adjustments N/A
Aspect adjustments
HD Size Size 2
HDMI settings Default Auto/Off Advanced picture
Block NR: Off
Motion
24p Direct in: 60Hz
Pixel Orbiter Enable
3D menu
3D input format Auto
Left/Right swap Normal
Diagonal line filter Off
post #733 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

You cannot keep seperate calibrations for each input. You have Standard, Vivid, Cinema and Custom which can be tweaked and saved individually. Each setting is available to all inputs

So each HDMI (1-3) has the same thing for custom.

Regardless of is it is 480p, 18080i or 1080p?
post #734 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

Thankyou I will give those a try ...

2D Settings
Picture mode Cinema
Contrast 90
Brightness 56
Color 41
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color temp. Warm2
Color mgmt. Off
C.A.T.S.: Off Off
Video NR Off
Aspect adjustments

HD Size Size 2
HDMI settings Default Auto/Off
Advanced picture
Block NR Off
Motion
24p Direct in: 96Hz/60Hz
Pixel Orbiter Enable
3D Settings
Picture mode Custom
Contrast 100
Brightness 53
Color 43
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color temp Warm2
Color mgmt. Off
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR: Off
Aspect adjustments
HD Size Size 2
Pro Settings
Color space Normal
W/B high/R,G.B -16,0,-6
W/B low/R,G,B -5,-8,-10
W/B detail adjustment N/A
Red gain, Green gain, Blue gain
10IRE 0,0,0
20IRE +7,0,-10
30IRE -1,-2,+1
40IRE +2,-1,+9
50IRE -1,-3,+4
60IRE 0,0,-9
70IRE 0,0,+2
80IRE 0,0,+3
90IRE -2,0,-2
100IRE -5,0,-8
Black extension: 5
Gamma adjustment: 2.0 or 2.2
Panel brightness: High
Contour emphasis: Off
A.G.C.: 0
Gamma detail
adjustment N/A
C.M.S. (red, green blue,
hue and saturation; Color
detail adjustments N/A
Aspect adjustments
HD Size Size 2
HDMI settings Default Auto/Off Advanced picture
Block NR: Off
Motion
24p Direct in: 60Hz
Pixel Orbiter Enable
3D menu
3D input format Auto
Left/Right swap Normal
Diagonal line filter Off

OMG! These settings should include a warning on the front of the package. LOL smile
post #735 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

OMG! These settings should include a warning on the front of the package. LOL smile

Keep in mind that every tv is different, even within the same model due to the tolerance ranges in the specs, viewing environment, etc. So what looks good on one set, might look like crap on yours, but you may get lucky and get settings that you like. They are at least a good place to start to familiarize yourself with the settings and how the relate to each other, but your always best to use some sort of calibration disk to, at the very least, set the basic settings with standardized patterns, or you can attempt a DIY calibration with meters, or pay for a professional calibration. And there really shouldn't be any reason to get into the Service Menu unless your tv doesn't have an extensive calibration menu for the user.
post #736 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Lol why is that ? , these are not my settings , just letting everyone know they are from home theater . Com , previous poster could not post the link so I threw them up for everyone although I am prob going to give those 3d settings a try since they are the 1st I have seen for viewing 3d.
post #737 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM

justpassedu, you beat me to a response. A few on this thread were wondering if there were any 3D settings published. Those are hometheater.com's settings for their review and was just wanting to inform others.
post #738 of 1413 Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Let us know how those 3D settings work out for you on the ST 30.. Some liked Cameron's, most didn't. I never read anybody come back and say they were blown away with the Home Theater settings. Most of the earlier ST30 reviews, known for some credibility, say the factory preset for 3D was pretty damn good. As soon as I got my ST30 set up last fall, I slipped in the Pany 3D demo disc that came with my VT25, and it was excellent. The ST30 3D, out of the box was as good as my pro calibrated VT 25. I've played most of the 3D movies, including Avatar and they have been stunning. Even the 2D to 3D have been surprisingly good. If you do not think your 3D is bright enough for you, your only alternative may be a pro calibration. I don't think you are going to get the ST much brighter without great sacrifice in PQ and or expense. But good luck anyway.
post #739 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Let us know how those 3D settings work out for you on the ST 30.. Some liked Cameron's, most didn't. I never read anybody come back and say they were blown away with the Home Theater settings. Most of the earlier ST30 reviews, known for some credibility, say the factory preset for 3D was pretty damn good. As soon as I got my ST30 set up last fall, I slipped in the Pany 3D demo disc that came with my VT25, and it was excellent. The ST30 3D, out of the box was as good as my pro calibrated VT 25. I've played most of the 3D movies, including Avatar and they have been stunning. Even the 2D to 3D have been surprisingly good. If you do not think your 3D is bright enough for you, your only alternative may be a pro calibration. I don't think you are going to get the ST much brighter without great sacrifice in PQ and or expense. But good luck anyway.

Camerons settings are not for the st30 line of tv's . As for the home theater settings I will try the 3d ones as soon as I have a chance to watch another 3d movie.
post #740 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Camerons settings are not for the st30 line of tv's .

That's true, I'm not sure everybody knew that but some tried it anyway with mixed results. Like it has been said, it gave a starting point. Another thing you can do is play around w/ Vivid. Wow, can't believe I said that, or use some of gremmy's settings for 3D. They certainly brighten things up.
post #741 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 AM

I have tried vivid and played around a bit with it , for viewing certain shows on cable sources I think it works well if tuned properly but with custom settings I like the more real life accuracy. I know this is in the wrong place and I posted this in the offiicial panny thread but incase no one has seen it , just trying to help , mods please delete if you find this shouldn't be here , but I am just trying to help people out and show my experience -

"just thought I'd share some helpful info for everyone , I have my 60st30 sitting on a tv stand , 1st off I needed it to be about 2inches higher for a bit better viewing , I was going to prop a piece of wood or something under it to raise it a bit and then I thought let me try something out for the he'll of it and it worked. Usually when you get to the bigger screen size tv's the stands do not swivel , so I bought a cheap Swivel mount off eBay for around $16 to give it a try , this is not made for this tv or even tv's of this size but at this price I figured I'll give it a try and if it's no good I can return it or use it another room. Well it turns out it worked well for me , I just proped it under the tv's base and now have full swivel so this will work on the panasonic 60st30 And smaller models , don't expect it to be a super amazing quality piece of equipment at this price , it's made of plastic & it is a bit smaller than the tvs base but I can confirm for now 3 weeks I have had no problems , it brought my tv about a 1 1/2-2" higher and it fully swivels now at $16 , here is a link to the one I purchased - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Init-15-TV-S...-/220904651192 , it is a intit 15" swivel mount , buy at your own risk.

2nd - I can confirm I have tried the xpand x103 & new generation panasonic 3d glasses , both provide a great image and I can not tell a difference in image quality between the 2. The xpand's are cheaper , have a wider viewing angle but are allot heavier. The xpand's take batteries and come with 3 extras while the pannys are rechargeable via USB. The pannys are allot smaller and lighter , I think they are a little more comfortable but the xpands come with 3 interchangeable nose pieces while the pannys only have one . So if your looking to save money you should be fine with the xpands."
post #742 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Just wanna say thanks to Gremmy and Dnice for sharing so much info and putting up with some moronic people.

Thus far I really like Gremmys settings just having a few issues getting them to look right on DTV box since I dont have any test patterns through there.

A few questions comments...

1. Sharpness - Why is this always at zero and honestly does it do anything in small increments ? Seems like you have to go from 0 to 80 to see any difference. Is zero making things blurry or eliminating noise ?

2. Why Warm ?
I find warm immediately to orangey for whites. I always use normal.
I use this
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...izer.jpg/image
Then Tweak W/B so whites dont look too blue or too reddish. Am understanding this correctly ? Is Warm giving me a better baseline or do you guys just prefer the "look" ?

p.s I find that screen very useful for tweaking Black Extension which always reveal 0 being way too low.

3. Menus
I find the 3 second on screen time annoying . Im in the middle of looking at a scene tweaking brightness but if I dont make a change in 3 seconds its off screen.
Switching from vivid-game etc the menu takes up 3/4 of the screen.

Are there any ways around this ?

4.3D- IMO the biggest issue is the drastic reduction in brightness. Would going to gamma 2.0 be the easiest way to increase brightness while maintaining color levels ?

5.Lastly XBOX 360-
I have everythign at default. Is there any reason to make any color space or signal type changes on console or tv ?
post #743 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFOOTBALL33 View Post

Just wanna say thanks to Gremmy and Dnice for sharing so much info and putting up with some moronic people.

Thus far I really like Gremmys settings just having a few issues getting them to look right on DTV box since I dont have any test patterns through there.

A few questions comments...

1. Sharpness - Why is this always at zero and honestly does it do anything in small increments ? Seems like you have to go from 0 to 80 to see any difference. Is zero making things blurry or eliminating noise ?

2. Why Warm ?
I find warm immediately to orangey for whites. I always use normal.
I use this
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...izer.jpg/image
Then Tweak W/B so whites dont look too blue or too reddish. Am understanding this correctly ? Is Warm giving me a better baseline or do you guys just prefer the "look" ?

p.s I find that screen very useful for tweaking Black Extension which always reveal 0 being way too low.

3. Menus
I find the 3 second on screen time annoying . Im in the middle of looking at a scene tweaking brightness but if I dont make a change in 3 seconds its off screen.
Switching from vivid-game etc the menu takes up 3/4 of the screen.

Are there any ways around this ?

4.3D- IMO the biggest issue is the drastic reduction in brightness. Would going to gamma 2.0 be the easiest way to increase brightness while maintaining color levels ?

5.Lastly XBOX 360-
I have everythign at default. Is there any reason to make any color space or signal type changes on console or tv ?

I can't really comment on your questions asked here but would def like to know the answers to these aswell. As for gaming , I have a ps3 and xbox aswell and have not been to happy with any of the panny modes. I think they are all pretty far off from what things should really look like , this is with gaming only . So far my best result has been to use gaming mode and up the brightness from 50 to 55-60 depending on what I am playing , these are def not the best though so I wanting to know more aswell.

Also if anyone has a ps3 and would like me to post some basic settings I found that work great for blu ray please ask.
post #744 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Seems like most people are used to torch mode.
post #745 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I can't really comment on your questions asked here but would def like to know the answers to these aswell. As for gaming , I have a ps3 and xbox aswell and have not been to happy with any of the panny modes. I think they are all pretty far off from what things should really look like , this is with gaming only . So far my best result has been to use gaming mode and up the brightness from 50 to 55-60 depending on what I am playing , these are def not the best though so I wanting to know more aswell.

Also if anyone has a ps3 and would like me to post some basic settings I found that work great for blu ray please ask.

On the bright side Many game will let you change brightness in menu options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

What is this in response to ?

Its easy to understand why people would. Blacks and whites are first thing you notice. White balance is the first thing that will trick your mind into believing what you're seeing. If whites arent close to white then the rest usually is an uphill battle to get your eye to like it. Vivids and Torch modes bring them out immediately. Most people are fine with that. I doubt most here are since we want tweaks and refinement.
post #746 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFOOTBALL33 View Post

On the bright side Many game will let you change brightness in menu options.

What is this in response to ?

Its easy to understand why people would. Blacks and whites are first thing you notice. White balance is the first thing that will trick your mind into believing what you're seeing. If whites arent close to white then the rest usually is an uphill battle to get your eye to like it. Vivids and Torch modes bring them out immediately. Most people are fine with that. I doubt most here are since we want tweaks and refinement.

Unfortunately, torch mode gives whites a definite blue cast. Most people seem to perceive this as "ultra white" or "whiter than white," but it's definitely not neutral.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the warm color settings on many sets are just as far off in the opposite direction (adding a pink instead of a blue cast to white).

D65 is nuetral. Upon visual inspection, it is neither pink nor blue nor green (keeping in mind of course that whites are relative). But it usually takes a real calibration to get there. Once you get used to it though it is very hard to go back.
post #747 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I know what you mean.

I keep looking at this TV, thinking ... this is just too dark.

But it looks ... real.

It doesn't look like a TV, it looks like a picture.

I think it just takes getting used to.

I think a lot of it depends on the source, too. Some channels/shows look awesome. Some don't look much better than regular cable.
post #748 of 1413 Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

I haven't noticed any banding on custom.

I am using 0 IRE to 100 IRE window patterns to measure gamma. There is actually quite a bit of tweaking that can be done with with black extension and the various gamma pre-sets. With my latest calibration (done about 15 minutes ago), I am now getting a very consistent 2.2 gamma, but the television is set to 2.4 -- go figure.

This was after you posted your initial non-Lumagen settings. Did those settings stay the same except putting gamma at 2.4?
post #749 of 1413 Old 03-17-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I can say I have found my ST30's sweet spot, as gremmy puts it. Using gremmy's findings re Black extention, calibration disc and a ISF calibrated (D-Nice) VT25 as a reference, my ST's Custom PQ is the best I've seen. It is right in there with my VT25 which is stunning. The ST PQ is the same throughout all programming now, crisp with detail, color and light. I calibrated gray scale (back bar and gray background) using the Black extension setting only and found +4 as my set's sweet spot. I could then fine tune a little by further adjusting the Picture Brightness setting. I went through the different gamma options but kept coming back to 2.2. I cycled through panel brightness and HDMI content options but Mid and Graphics gave best results.. I did not have to change the D-Nice WB settings as the saturation and hue was dead on. A side by side visual comparison with my VT25 ISF Night Mode, which I keep selected all of the time, shows the ST30 having the same great PQ, maybe even a little better on some dark material, like HP Deathly Hallows which was playing on HBO at the time. Colors are great and natural, loads of detail, I like to see those sweat pores and tiny hairs. Blacks are black but with great shadow detail. I guess I have a hybrid D-Nice / Gremmy setup. Thanks to both. If anybody wants to give my results a try, PM me. please note that my ST is a 42" and probably has different characteristics than the larger sets and as it's been said, all sets are different.
post #750 of 1413 Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

Unfortunately, torch mode gives whites a definite blue cast. Most people seem to perceive this as "ultra white" or "whiter than white," but it's definitely not neutral.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the warm color settings on many sets are just as far off in the opposite direction (adding a pink instead of a blue cast to white).

D65 is nuetral. Upon visual inspection, it is neither pink nor blue nor green (keeping in mind of course that whites are relative). But it usually takes a real calibration to get there. Once you get used to it though it is very hard to go back.

You start off with Warm as your baseline as well though no ?
Is this why you tweak the W/B to get rid of that extra cast ?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page