Panasonic ST30 DIY Calibration and Settings Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1414 Old 07-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am still using CNET custom settings. I dropped the panel brightness to Mid and kicked up the brightness 3 notches. There is noting wrong with this picture, nothing against Dnice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1414 Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Liked: 10
I have a settings story that I'm a little surprised by, but wanted to put it out there with the back story. Sorry if this is a little long.

I did the D-Nice panel prep of 100 hours and then used his settings for my Panasonic 50ST30 with great anticipation. I found that for our viewing, which is usually with a light on in the room in the evening, the settings resulted in a picture that was good, but too dim. And, it certainly was too dim for any daytime viewing, even though our TV has its back to the window.

I then experimented with mid panel brightness and every set of settings I found here using the Custom picture mode, as well as a number of pretty decent results with my own variations, mostly with D-Nice as the basis. No matter what I did, however, I could never get the flesh tones right; typically, they were on the ruddy side.

Two side notes on those experiments: First, although I also reacted to the wild looking CNET settings published for custom mode, on my set they turned out very similar to D-Nice, albeit with an offset of some 50 clicks for some of the settings. I didn't like their dim look either, nor did I like being at or close to the limits of several of the settings. Also, as CNET claimed, I thought the default Cinema settings were quite good, and again similar to D-Nice both in overall picture and in dimness.

Finally, in fit of desperation, and thinking that I remembered the default Custom mode settings (duh, I didn't write them down), I simply set six RGB white balance parameters of the pro settings to 0 (which is what I think the defaults were). The rest is D-Nice with the exception of MID panel brightness, and toning the color down to 28. To my shock and delight, suddenly I had realistic flesh tones and a picture that was not too dim. The picture with blu-ray discs is excellent to my eyes, although I obviously have no way of telling how close to or far off from a calibrated result I am.

First, lest this give the wrong impression, I'm deeply indebted to D-Nice and thank the others with the courage to put their settings here for folks to try. My theory is that there is indeed panel to panel variation, and while Panasonic may not be spot on, they do a good job with custom and cinema modes. I still haven't figured out what they were thinking with the other modes, but right now I don't care too much because I have a night/dim mode with cinema and a general mode with my custom settings.

Now if my set didn't have a case of very annoying brightness fluctuation, I would be all set. But that's another post in another thread.
post #93 of 1414 Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserk View Post

Now if my set didn't have a case of very annoying brightness fluctuation, I would be all set. But that's another post in another thread.

Same here. It's been driving me nuts...

post #94 of 1414 Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserk View Post

I have a settings story that I'm a little surprised by, but wanted to put it out there with the back story. Sorry if this is a little long.

I did the D-Nice panel prep of 100 hours and then used his settings for my Panasonic 50ST30 with great anticipation. I found that for our viewing, which is usually with a light on in the room in the evening, the settings resulted in a picture that was good, but too dim. And, it certainly was too dim for any daytime viewing, even though our TV has its back to the window.

I then experimented with mid panel brightness and every set of settings I found here using the Custom picture mode, as well as a number of pretty decent results with my own variations, mostly with D-Nice as the basis. No matter what I did, however, I could never get the flesh tones right; typically, they were on the ruddy side.

Two side notes on those experiments: First, although I also reacted to the wild looking CNET settings published for custom mode, on my set they turned out very similar to D-Nice, albeit with an offset of some 50 clicks for some of the settings. I didn't like their dim look either, nor did I like being at or close to the limits of several of the settings. Also, as CNET claimed, I thought the default Cinema settings were quite good, and again similar to D-Nice both in overall picture and in dimness.

Finally, in fit of desperation, and thinking that I remembered the default Custom mode settings (duh, I didn't write them down), I simply set six RGB white balance parameters of the pro settings to 0 (which is what I think the defaults were). The rest is D-Nice with the exception of MID panel brightness, and toning the color down to 28. To my shock and delight, suddenly I had realistic flesh tones and a picture that was not too dim. The picture with blu-ray discs is excellent to my eyes, although I obviously have no way of telling how close to or far off from a calibrated result I am.

First, lest this give the wrong impression, I'm deeply indebted to D-Nice and thank the others with the courage to put their settings here for folks to try. My theory is that there is indeed panel to panel variation, and while Panasonic may not be spot on, they do a good job with custom and cinema modes. I still haven't figured out what they were thinking with the other modes, but right now I don't care too much because I have a night/dim mode with cinema and a general mode with my custom settings.

Nice post. So what are all your settings now?
post #95 of 1414 Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a couple of days and hadn't seen the request above (and a private one) for my complete settings. Here they are (I'll add some comments after):

Picture mode: Custom
Contrast +78
Brightness +56
Color +29
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color temp Warm2
CATS Off
Video NR Off

Pro settings:
Color space Normal
W/B high/low R/G/B all 0
Black extension 0
Gamma 2.2
Panel Mid
Contour Off
AGC 0

Aspect and HDMI menus: default

Advanced picture:
Block/Mosquito NR both Off
Motion Smoother Off
Black level Light
3:2 pulldown Auto

So, some comments:
- I am a believer in set to set variation, so you may need to do some experimentation around these values
- I do sometimes crank the Contrast up a couple of clicks for the fun of it
- The brightness is a couple of clicks above the D-Nice recommendation, but works well with our typical room lighting and Gamma of 2.2. I did also try upping the black extension, and playing with a Gamma of 2.0 and adding black extension, but the setting I use works for me
- The color value may seem low to you, but looks pretty natural to us. I would point out that a number of our FiOS HD stations still look over-saturated, but I'm not going to fine tune for those. The colors look great on Blu-ray
- I have tried the High panel setting too, and it does add a bit of pop, but it's not significant and I don't want to over-stress the panel or my eyes in typical viewing
post #96 of 1414 Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

iam still trying to find the settings i like so far i did the panel ageing for 200 hours lol. i will try some of the settings u guys listed so far i have these but iam in standard mode i also use dark for black level
if i pick light the pic looks washed out to me
contrast 78
brightness 55
color 49
warm 2
post #97 of 1414 Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

iam still trying to find the settings i like so far i did the panel ageing for 200 hours lol. i will try some of the settings u guys listed so far i have these but iam in standard mode i also use dark for black level
if i pick light the pic looks washed out to me
contrast 78
brightness 55
color 49
warm 2

Wow, you like standard mode?

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #98 of 1414 Old 08-01-2011, 11:37 PM

I watch my TV in a mostly pitch black room.

Will the cinema mode be good or should I use the D-Nice method?
If the cinema is pretty good, I'll just go with that.

Thanks
post #99 of 1414 Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i have the 60st30 for a few weeks now

i ran the slides and have been using dnice settings. i was happy with that setup for a while but am now realizing its just not bright enough for my situation. my living room is very well lit because theres plenty of windows, even with curtains down. my guests have commented that its not bright enough as well.

the picture, skin tones etc. do look realistic but the colors dont "pop" like some of you have mentioned.

any for recommendations for a well lit room? i could try mid panel brightness with dnice settings but what changes should i make to compensate for mid panel brightness?
post #100 of 1414 Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM

I've been playing with the settings for a few months now. For awhile I was using the low panel setting and D-Nice settings, but with contrast bumped up to 86 and color up to 48, and Warm 1 color temp. The increases in contrast and color coupled with the color temp seemed to get the picture closer to that "pop" we've all discussed in this thread. Great looking picture.

Last night I put on Rango for the kids, and decided to use mid brightness. I dialed down contrast to 74, color to 42, kept Warm 1, and defaulted all of the offsets in the pro menu. I know that animated movies are bit of a different beast, but man what a beautiful picture! I think I'm going to stick with these settings for a while.
post #101 of 1414 Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 PM

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input, especially kaiserk. I had major trouble with skin tones and was getting very frustrated, but I tried kaiserk's settings last night and everything looks pretty damn great.

"Who died and made you fu*king king of the zombies?"

---Shaun of the Dead
post #102 of 1414 Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Wow, you like standard mode?

Its not to bad . but this week i will use custom mode with dnices settings
post #103 of 1414 Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
Has anyone anywhere released Cinema mode calibration settings, or gotten into the Service Menu?
anybody?

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
- ARRX18G Remote w/ RF extender
- WDTV Live+ (5TB and growing)
post #104 of 1414 Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^I've been using Cinema because it seems to provide less line bleed to me, could just be mental. My alternate settings are D-Nice's with the contrast up a couple notches. The pictures are fairly similar.

Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 53
Color: 46
Tint: -3
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm2
Black level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: On

All other settings are off.
post #105 of 1414 Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone have any 3D settings that account for less light going through the glasses?

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #106 of 1414 Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

For those interested, this is what Disney WOW says my settings should be on my 65ST30 (I am not advocating these settings; just letting you know what Disney WOW comes up with):

Custom (Warm 2, with D-Nice's pro settings)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 54
Color: 55 (55-57 are similar)
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0 (Actually, I didn't even bother adjusting this one)

Cinema (Warm 2)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 55
Color: 56 (56-58 are similar)
Tint: -1
Sharpness: 0 (Again, I didn't bother adjusting this setting)

The above settings appear almost identical to one another to the bare eyes. I lower contrast to 86 for Custom and 92 for Cinema.

Also, I've run Disney WOW on two 65ST30s and the results were pretty much the same, so set-to-set variation was not high on those two sets.
post #107 of 1414 Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpearman View Post

Does anyone have any 3D settings that account for less light going through the glasses?

For 3D I use the same settings as those I use in regular viewing, but with the sharpness turned up to 50. The panel turns bright in 3D mode; it seems they do this to compensate for the tint on the glasses.
post #108 of 1414 Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

ok i went with dince settings custom model with a little tweaking of my own
contrast 78
brigthness 55
color 48
warm 2
pro setings
+ 12
+2

i wish we can unlock pro settings for all modes in 2d pic
post #109 of 1414 Old 08-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Using d-nice settings ( and thanks very much for posting them on another site, very cool man ) with 3 differences

mid

cool one

and black levels on the dark setting
post #110 of 1414 Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

For 3D I use the same settings as those I use in regular viewing, but with the sharpness turned up to 50. The panel turns bright in 3D mode; it seems they do this to compensate for the tint on the glasses.

Nice - Thanks for confirming that the TV adjusts the brightness.

Upgraditis Anonymous
post #111 of 1414 Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I did D-Nice settings with a little customization:

Gamma: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Color Temp: Warm 1
post #112 of 1414 Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 AM

I ran the Disney WOW bluray and did not like the settings it gives,,, waste of $20.00

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
- ARRX18G Remote w/ RF extender
- WDTV Live+ (5TB and growing)
post #113 of 1414 Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the same at first, but eventually changed my mind once I stopped using my own judgement as to where the settings needed to be and instead just adjusted it to where the disc had me put it. The results are enjoyable now (I use Cinema/Custom, warm 2 and low panel brightness; all other settings look bad/inaccurate to me).

However, if you don't like the settings if provides, you may like other features on the disc such as the Buzz & Rattle Test that helps remove those annoying noises throughout the house when the subwoofer turns on, the Pixel Flipper that provides moving static across the TV screen to remove image retention, or the second disc that provides a lot of great scenery. The Buzz & Rattle Test and Pixel Flipper are great features.
post #114 of 1414 Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM

tfoltz - I ran Disney WOW on my 50ST30 and got very similar results. I settled on:

Custom Mode:
warm 2
contrast 86
brightness 54 (i boost to 56 for daytime viewing)
color 57
sharpness 20

In the Pro settings:
W/B High R: +4
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: +10
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: 0
post #115 of 1414 Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM

One more tidbit on my mid panel brightness settings for my 50ST30.

I had my EPROM flashed by Panasonic yesterday to fix the fluctuating brightness problem. The fix worked and the Panasonic service technician claimed that it would not change any of the basic factory values for the various picture modes. I put my mid panel settings back in, and lo, no FBr and same pleasing (to me eye) picture.

Now, I'm a really happy camper - no FBr, and a great picture via default Cinema for a dark room and my mid panel Custom for a lit room or daytime.
post #116 of 1414 Old 08-09-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to know you no longer see FBr. They are going to install a new A-Board to fix my fluctuations. Sounds like some technicians don't have access to the SD card EPROM flash.
post #117 of 1414 Old 08-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Anyone please the PS3 or 360 and use game mode? If so, would be appreciated if you could share your settings for game mode? I'm completely lost on it haha?
post #118 of 1414 Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penvision66 View Post
Anyone please the PS3 or 360 and use game mode? If so, would be appreciated if you could share your settings for game mode? I'm completely lost on it haha?
yes i use game mode. these settings are nice for me when playing cod mw2
and black-ops and i would bring the brightness up a little in the game option
i dont like a bright high contrast looking game it makes it look ashed out

game mode
contrast 30
brightness 30
color 30
warm 2
post #119 of 1414 Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post
yes i use game mode. these settings are nice for me when playing cod mw2
and black-ops and i would bring the brightness up a little in the game option
i dont like a bright high contrast looking game it makes it look ashed out

game mode
contrast 30
brightness 30
color 30
warm 2
Thanks heaps, I'll have a look at them.
post #120 of 1414 Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM

I actually tried and don't mind Dnice's settings on game mode with a warm 1 color temp (on PS3)... Thanks for the settings but it's a bit too dark for my taste...

Either way this TV has an extremely nice picture. Very happy with it!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page