Panasonic ST30 DIY Calibration and Settings Thread - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1416 Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Not sure if you are asking about settings or physical equipment, but I saw a picture of D-nice calibrating a tv in 3d mode and he had the owners glasses taped to his equipment.

Correct, that's how he did mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1416 Old 10-28-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

My question is this, I want to put the st30 in cinema mode, are there any recommended settings for cinema mode, without break in period involved.

I saw one for Cinema posted by Chad somewhere and wrote it down. From my note it looks like everything stays the same except he advised using a +45-7 for color and +8-10 tint. I think it was in the main settings thread. I hate recommending search but you might give it a try. Good luck on your new ST. Mine is supposed to be here today.
post #183 of 1416 Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
After fussing with various mid panel settings, the suggestions here to switch on "photo" for HDMI content started me on the right track to dial in the settings (by my eye). I found, though, that the HDMI content setting of "Photo", while addressing the ruddy skin tones also shifted red to a more crimson (perceived as a darker shade), which I confirmed using a red filter that came with my DVE disc. What I found is that the "graphics" setting for HDMI content may be ideal. Using the DVE color filters color decoding appeared nearly spot on and this setting also solved the ruddy skin tones like "photo" does. I hope this setting doesn't have some other effect, but so far I am stunned at how the picture looks. My settings:

Custom
C: 80
B: 52
Color: 52
Tint: 0

Pro:
Mid panel
D-nice settings for high/low
Black Ext and auto-gamma: off

HDMI settings:
Panel Size: 2
Content type: Graphics
post #184 of 1416 Old 11-05-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmerce View Post

After fussing with various mid panel settings, the suggestions here to switch on "photo" for HDMI content started me on the right track to dial in the settings (by my eye). I found, though, that the HDMI content setting of "Photo", while addressing the ruddy skin tones also shifted red to a more crimson (perceived as a darker shade), which I confirmed using a red filter that came with my DVE disc. What I found is that the "graphics" setting for HDMI content may be ideal. Using the DVE color filters color decoding appeared nearly spot on and this setting also solved the ruddy skin tones like "photo" does. I hope this setting doesn't have some other effect, but so far I am stunned at how the picture looks.

You may be right. I had compared Photo to Graphics and found that the latter "flattened" out the picture slightly more than the former so I stuck with Photo. In looking at Graphics now, along with a modest boost in Contrast and Color, the picture may be barely better than Photo but it's hard to pin down. It may be a matter of preference but when you go back to Auto or Off from either setting, the picture is ghastly and you realize how poor the set's picture is with the mid or high panel settings compared to Photo or graphics. The skin tones are almost radioactive.
post #185 of 1416 Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just bought the TV and cannot get the dark areas of the screen to show any detail. Can someone PM me the dnice settings, I have searched google high and low and do not see them anyplace. Thanks Pete
post #186 of 1416 Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i played around with the st30 setttings today i went with custom mode and gfx
Custom. so far it looks good with mide panel brightness
C: 80
B: 54
Color: 50
Tint: 0
warm 2
post #187 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM

edit:
Nevermind, the problem with the green on my set was operator error. I'm now using the D-Nice with very minor tweaks (Warm1 instead of Warm2 which was too brown, Color 38 instead of 45) and it looks great.
post #188 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

You may be right. I had compared Photo to Graphics and found that the latter "flattened" out the picture slightly more than the former so I stuck with Photo. In looking at Graphics now, along with a modest boost in Contrast and Color, the picture may be barely better than Photo but it's hard to pin down. It may be a matter of preference but when you go back to Auto or Off from either setting, the picture is ghastly and you realize how poor the set's picture is with the mid or high panel settings compared to Photo or graphics. The skin tones are almost radioactive.

Can someone confirm/deny that the HDMI content settings only apply to a signal coming through the HDMI ports and not the standard coaxial cable jack? I have basic cable running straight into my ST30 via coaxial and most of the content I watch is regular TV. I assume it will not affect the PQ of the cable channels but no one has been able to confirm this.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #189 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Can someone confirm/deny that the HDMI content settings only apply to a signal coming through the HDMI ports and not the standard coaxial cable jack? I have basic cable running straight into my ST30 via coaxial and most of the content I watch is regular TV. I assume it will not affect the PQ of the cable channels but no one has been able to confirm this.

It has no effect at all on the antenna/cable input (I watch OTA) nor on the streaming input, so even if you like the "photo" setting it's useless for your non-HDMI inputs.

I tried the photo/graphic changes on my HDMI1 input and didn't think it looked any better than the mid-panel settings I've been using. It also made Cinema mode look bad, IMO. Since I use my AVR as the HDMI switch only HDMI1 on the TV is in use and I like to be able to have both Custom & Cinema available on that input.
post #190 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It is interesting reading about how much better the ST30 PQ gets using HDMI photo and mid panel settings. If you used a good calibration disc, you might be surprised how far off your are. I have a theory that the after August builds, having taken care of the FBr problem (at a minimum) has produced a ST30 that exhibits different traits then the earlier builds. Here is my experience with my October build 42ST30.

I used D-Nice break-in and final calibration guidelines. What I noticed was very black blacks lacking detail and overly saturated colors, producing a very dark picture, what I might expect in a FBr fix. If you go back, a lot of people on here were reporting they thought their PQ got better after their A-board was replaced, blacks were blacker, colors deeper. Some had already started to back off the D-Nice color settings, going down into the 30's. The PQ was not so much dim as it was dark. Thus, people started to look for better settings to lighten things up and found their way to the normal color, HDMI Photo and Mid-Panel settings. I tried those settings as well and they looked OK, but lacking. One problem is, I have a VT25 to compare with. That VT was calibrated by D-Nice and I learned to trust his work and dedication to finding the most correct settings for the very best PQ that can be pumped out of a TV. I finally broke out my trusty Sound & Vision's Avia Calibration DVD I used on my Pioneer Elite Pro.

I started by keeping the D-Nice WB cuts exactly the same. I also kept the 2.2 Gamma, Low Panel and Warm Color 2 settings because I knew the most accurate colors and Gamma was going to come from there. Working with Contrast first, Avia had me reaching into the high 80's to obtain the optimum setting. Next, I had to increase Brightness into the mid 60's to obtain the optimum black, gray and shadow detail. Going back to Contrast, I was able to back down the setting to low 80's. Going back to Brightness, I could lower the setting to 63. Checking Color Saturation, it was dead-on at 45 (D-Nice's setting) and Tint/Hue was accurate at "0" setting. The TV was slightly under emphasizing Reds and Greens, almost spot on, excellent for a processor in this price range. When I was done, I had a PQ that blows away the HDMI Photo and Mid-Panel gyrations. The colors are vibrant but natural, and I know correct. The blacks are pure black when they are supposed to be and the shadow detail is excellent. The clincher is the panel is plenty bright enough now.

I really think something has changed from the earlier builds to those built after August, or had the A boards changed. That's why I've asked D-Nice about it. In the end, to each his own on what looks good to their own eyes but I promise you, the HDMI Photo trick is not giving you the best your TV can be.
post #191 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I should add, if you do need a little bit more light output, try Warm 1 first then "Normal" next. Each will throw the color off a little bit but will still give you more "Pop" then the HDMI Photo route.
post #192 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

It is interesting reading about how much better the ST30 PQ gets using HDMI photo and mid panel settings. If you used a good calibration disc, you might be surprised how far off your are. I have a theory that the after August builds, having taken care of the FBr problem (at a minimum) has produced a ST30 that exhibits different traits then the earlier builds. Here is my experience with my October build 42ST30.

I used D-Nice break-in and final calibration guidelines. What I noticed was very black blacks lacking detail and overly saturated colors, producing a very dark picture, what I might expect in a FBr fix. If you go back, a lot of people on here were reporting they thought their PQ got better after their A-board was replaced, blacks were blacker, colors deeper. Some had already started to back off the D-Nice color settings, going down into the 30's. The PQ was not so much dim as it was dark. Thus, people started to look for better settings to lighten things up and found their way to the normal color, HDMI Photo and Mid-Panel settings. I tried those settings as well and they looked OK, but lacking. One problem is, I have a VT25 to compare with. That VT was calibrated by D-Nice and I learned to trust his work and dedication to finding the most correct settings for the very best PQ that can be pumped out of a TV. I finally broke out my trusty Sound & Vision's Avia Calibration DVD I used on my Pioneer Elite Pro.

I started by keeping the D-Nice WB cuts exactly the same. I also kept the 2.2 Gamma, Low Panel and Warm Color 2 settings because I knew the most accurate colors and Gamma was going to come from there. Working with Contrast first, Avia had me reaching into the high 80's to obtain the optimum setting. Next, I had to increase Brightness into the mid 60's to obtain the optimum black, gray and shadow detail. Going back to Contrast, I was able to back down the setting to low 80's. Going back to Brightness, I could lower the setting to 63. Checking Color Saturation, it was dead-on at 45 (D-Nice's setting) and Tint/Hue was accurate at "0" setting. The TV was slightly under emphasizing Reds and Greens, almost spot on, excellent for a processor in this price range. When I was done, I had a PQ that blows away the HDMI Photo and Mid-Panel gyrations. The colors are vibrant but natural, and I know correct. The blacks are pure black when they are supposed to be and the shadow detail is excellent. The clincher is the panel is plenty bright enough now.

I really think something has changed from the earlier builds to those built after August, or had the A boards changed. That's why I've asked D-Nice about it. In the end, to each his own on what looks good to their own eyes but I promise you, the HDMI Photo trick is not giving you the best your TV can be.

Well I calibrated my display with the photo setting already on using my disney wow disc, so its calibrated with that setting, not just turning that setting on over some other settngs. To me it seems like common sense to do this, but may not be for others. Im very happy with how my set looks, its perfect in all lights and conditions and I think it looks better the last couple weeks then the first few weeks for sure.
post #193 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post

Well I calibrated my display with the photo setting already on using my disney wow disc, so its calibrated with that setting, not just turning that setting on over some other settngs. To me it seems like common sense to do this, but may not be for others. Im very happy with how my set looks, its perfect in all lights and conditions and I think it looks better the last couple weeks then the first few weeks for sure.

mid wont calibrate for crap, gamma greyscale, color etc... just ask any calibrator on here....
post #194 of 1416 Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

mid wont calibrate for crap, gamma greyscale, color etc... just ask any calibrator on here....

A professional calibration it may not be, but I didnt pay for that, I paid $20.99 for a blu-ray that got me quality and calibrated according to it. To my eyes, the tv looks everybit as good I as could ever hope. To each their own. Ill keep the price of a calibration and apply it to something that I will get more out of (car mod money, vaction cash, etc)
post #195 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With a professional calibration it may not, but I didnt pay for that, I paid $20.99 for a blu-ray that got me quality and calibrated according to it. To my eyes, the tv looks everybit as good I as could ever hope. To each their own. Ill keep the price of a calibration and apply it to something that I will get more out of (car mod money, vaction cash, etc)

You're probably pretty close using your calibration disc. These TVs are pretty damn good and for the price, you can't beat it. I've played around with all the picture modes and settings and could have lived with at least five different ones.
post #196 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm having a Panasonic ST30 delivered today - my first plasma. I'm a little confused by all the stuff I read about the D-Nice set-up procedure. If I don't want to go through the D-Nice'snprocedure, what is my downside? Is there a simpler burn-in process I should go through? If so, how many hours,etc.? Would appreciate any advice. Thx.
post #197 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancher View Post

I'm having a Panasonic ST30 delivered today - my first plasma. I'm a little confused by all the stuff I read about the D-Nice set-up procedure. If I don't want to go through the D-Nice'snprocedure, what is my downside? Is there a simpler burn-in process I should go through? If so, how many hours,etc.? Would appreciate any advice. Thx.

D-Nice's procedure is not a burn-in process

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #198 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Dbone126, thanks for the reply. Perhaps I used the wrong term. Is there a simpler break-in process? Is a break-in needed for the ST30?
post #199 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Dbone126, thanks for the reply. Perhaps I used the wrong term. Is there a simpler break-in process? Is a break-in needed for the ST30?

I believe the purpose of D-Nice's procedure is to evenly age the pixels so you should get a pretty consistent result when you apply his settings. I am not sure what you mean by a simpler process, as there is nothing difficult about it. Do you mean you basically want to get it done in 24 hours instead of 100 hours?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #200 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I did not follow the d-nice break in procedure, I fired up the tv and dialed it in at mid panel brightness to what looked alright to my eyes and went from there, making sure NOT to have channels with bars/images/games with HUD, ect. up on the tv for too long for the first 150 hours or so. After that, I did my calbration with disney wow disc and photo setting on HDMI. After that, I havent touched it except all the white balance settings in pro settings are set to 0. Tv looks spectacular.

If you want your tv to look exactly as if Dnice calibrated it, then you need to google dnice settings and follow his instructions. IMO, just enjoy the TV if you arent a super video geek. Im not per se, I like it to look right but its not worth the extra bit to dial it in when IMO I cant see how I could get much better then this anyway.
post #201 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

A professional calibration it may not be, but I didnt pay for that, I paid $20.99 for a blu-ray that got me quality and calibrated according to it. To my eyes, the tv looks everybit as good I as could ever hope. To each their own. Ill keep the price of a calibration and apply it to something that I will get more out of (car mod money, vaction cash, etc)

The degree of practical common sense that you've expressed is dead on. Whatever looks good to you is right for you.
post #202 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the purpose of D-Nice's procedure is to evenly age the pixels so you should get a pretty consistent result when you apply his settings. I am not sure what you mean by a simpler process, as there is nothing difficult about it. Do you mean you basically want to get it done in 24 hours instead of 100 hours?

Dbone126, thanks again. Yes, that's what I'm looking for- 24 hrs aging instead of 100.
post #203 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah if it looks good to you, thats what matters... but at mid panel brightness the gamma and greyscale wont even be in the ballpark of a good low panel brightness home calibration, it is a known issue...
post #204 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah if it looks good to you, thats what matters... but at mid panel brightness the gamma and greyscale wont even be in the ballpark of a good low panel brightness home calibration, it is a known issue...

Except that the low panel setting looks too dim for many of us. Oddly, when Photo is used, the low setting seems to be considerably more lively.
post #205 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Except that the low panel setting looks too dim for many of us. Oddly, when Photo is used, the low setting seems to be considerably more lively.

yeah years ago i got out of the torch mode habit, now i cant stand the look of the overly bright, inaccurate colors, noise etc. just for kicks i watched my set on vivid for about a half hour and then switched back to cinema and yeah i can see why some would say it looks dim, dull, has no pop etc.. but whatever looks good to whoever is what matters. i want realistic. just look thru the window and look at the grass, grass is not neon...
post #206 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i did not like the HDMI Photo trick or gfx trick either so i kept Dnices basic settings
and i lowered the gamma down to 2.0 and color to 46 this took care of the red faces
afer the Aboard swap... and useing mid panel brightness and black extender to + 2
the black extender off sets the gamma every looks natural and pops nice

80 conrast
54 brightness
46 color
warm 2
mid panel brightness
black extender +2 all of dncies w/b where kept the same as his
post #207 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 View Post

i did not like the HDMI Photo trick or gfx trick either so i kept Dnices basic settings
and i lowered the gamma down to 2.0 and color to 46 this took care of the red faces
afer the Aboard swap... and useing mid panel brightness and black extender to + 2
the black extender off sets the gamma every looks natural and pops nice

80 conrast
54 brightness
46 color
warm 2
mid panel brightness
black extender +2 all of dncies w/b where kept the same as his

when you switch to MID it throws the baby out with the bath water, his settings no longer apply... at all... but if it looks good to you, it looks good to you.... but it is not to close to a reference picture at all... raising gamma and using black extender is a band aid approach.

that is my dilemma with the ST, i have not ordered it yet but i am used to using cinema on past panasonics, but do hope the ST is bright enough for me.
post #208 of 1416 Old 11-18-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:

when you switch to MID it throws the baby out with the bath water, his settings no longer apply... at all... but if it looks good to you, it looks good to you.... but it is not to close to a reference picture at all... raising gamma and using black extender is a band aid approach.

that is my dilemma with the ST, i have not ordered it yet but i am used to using cinema on past panasonics, but do hope the ST is bright enough for me.

If I was using the unit in a dedicated theater, or a room that always had low light, then without question LOW brightness would work, but its in my living room and its light during the day, so my settings work best all around for me. But at night, lights off and such (or background light) then LOW would be more then enough.
post #209 of 1416 Old 11-19-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mark, Cinema out of the box settings were/are very good on my ST. I think that is also what the major reviews uncovered and the calibrators mostly did not screw with it. When D-Nice was asked if he was going to give settings for Cinema mode, he replied, "why". They mostly were trying to do better by calibrating the custom mode. In the end, custom only improved on cinema slightly. My out of the box ST30 cinema is on par with the THX on my 58VT25 and the prof calibrated modes on the VT25 are slightly better (more pop) than THX. So, to my eyes the Cinema mode on the ST30 is damn good. That being said, I'm running mostly Custom. I only switch to Cinema on some programs to check out the color because I feel it is going to be more correct. BTW I watch more Comcast cable than BD but the BDs have been excellent.
post #210 of 1416 Old 11-19-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Mark, Cinema out of the box settings were/are very good on my ST. I think that is also what the major reviews uncovered and the calibrators mostly did not screw with it. When D-Nice was asked if he was going to give settings for Cinema mode, he replied, "why". They mostly were trying to do better by calibrating the custom mode. In the end, custom only improved on cinema slightly. My out of the box ST30 cinema is on par with the THX on my 58VT25 and the prof calibrated modes on the VT25 are slightly better (more pop) than THX. So, to my eyes the Cinema mode on the ST30 is damn good. That being said, I'm running mostly Custom. I only switch to Cinema on some programs to check out the color because I feel it is going to be more correct. BTW I watch more Comcast cable than BD but the BDs have been excellent.

thanks Jimmy... well i just ordered the 60ST30...got a great deal..

i think i am over analyzing... but i hope it is not too dim, even during the day my room is not bright at all, just hoping, like sports have some pop to them... LOL, and hope that it doesnt have the green blob... i hope the people than complain about the dim picture are used to using torch mode OOB settings and arent accustomed to a proper picture.. but 26ftL does seem a little low..

thus will be my 4th set in 2 months time... 1 Mits DLP and 2 LG 60pv450's...who would of thought that the LG's had FBr, but they do and it is not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page