PNxxD550 advanced calibration unlocked!/Calibration Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 776 Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i have European version. And can't get USB working with this hack. Also Expert mode is gray out. That is a common problem for EU version.

Without USB i can't check improved PQ because all my media is from USB.

Any guesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 776 Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Hey everyone. Before I apply the 1018.1 firmware which has been released effective from September 2nd, 2011... does anyone know what the updates are? I am in Canada.

Also, second thing. What settings should I put in for a really bright display. Reason why I say this is because I would like to make my 3D viewing brighter. I have the first post's settings input under advanced calibration and everything working flawlessly but 3d viewing is very dim... especially considering the 3d glasses also dim too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #393 of 776 Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

@dulinf

You need an external player. I would prefer one which is capable to output YCC 4:2:2 video format (or at least YCC 4:4:4 but not RGB only) and all of the bitstreamable HD audio formats (if you have an AV receiver with HDMI input).
I tried to play with the SM settings (even with those you can't access without a remote with Factory and 3Speed keys on it) and the internal media player never works while you set non-D550, so I disabled everything related (like AllShare).

@scrutman

Cell Light 20
Contrast 95
This is the max light output you can get (contrast=100 won't significantly improve your light output but makes the near-white shades noticeably worse ; the brightness setting controls the near-black shades and won't significantly affect the peak brightness but should be set up correctly for proper near-black reproduction).

This is what this TV is capable of in 3D but I think it's not bad at all. But I have a room with total light control, so I always watch movies in the dark and it's "just enough" for me.
The very small number of the real 3D contents is a much bigger problem.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #394 of 776 Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
Hmm, I was really hoping the new firmware would bring some improvements to 3D crosstalk. I find it to be particularly bad for high parralax and high contrast scenes.

Certainly no improvements since the 2010 C models. Which is exactly the opposite to the Samsung press releases. They claimed improved 3D performance and lack of crosstalk on 2011 models.
post #395 of 776 Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

Hmm, I was really hoping the new firmware would bring some improvements to 3D crosstalk. I find it to be particularly bad for high parralax and high contrast scenes.

Certainly no improvements since the 2010 C models. Which is exactly the opposite to the Samsung press releases. They claimed improved 3D performance and lack of crosstalk on 2011 models.

So does the new firmware worsen the TV or make it better... just wondering what the new improvements are... anyone?
post #396 of 776 Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrutman View Post
So does the new firmware worsen the TV or make it better... just wondering what the new improvements are... anyone?
My European model went through a lot of updates (at least five) but I never saw any release notes anywhere.

One thing I noticed that they fixed the noise reduction bug (it always reset to High if you set it OFF and rebooted the device or switched inputs while it still showed OFF in the menu).

And there was another time when I felt I need to recalibrate my TV after an update. But it could be anything (I checked the picture quality after the update but it doesn't mean the change wasn't triggered by something else between the last calibration and the update. It could be panel aging because it was relatively young back then...)

post #397 of 776 Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM

I will receive my PN64D550 on friday. I plan on doing this litle unlock trick.
If I understand correctly. If I run everything throught my Receiver(Denon Denon 3311CI) wich has 2 HDMI out. I would then need to use both HDMI out of my receiver. One to transfer my audio and video and the other for crossmatching . This should work right?

Paradigm PW-2200
Samsung PN64D550
Epson 6500UB
Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ80U

post #398 of 776 Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frichard View Post

I will receive my PN64D550 on friday. I plan on doing this litle unlock trick.
If I understand correctly. If I run everything throught my Receiver(Denon Denon 3311CI) wich has 2 HDMI out. I would then need to use both HDMI out of my receiver. One to transfer my audio and video and the other for crossmatching . This should work right?

yep!
post #399 of 776 Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 PM

So I had this TV for a week now. I hacked and used the setting provided by eXgo. The color and detail are really nice. But the black-level is not what I've hope for. It's more like a dark grey. The black-level is almost the same as my projector. Shouldn't it be way darker? Will it get darker with some more time on the unit?

Thanks

Paradigm PW-2200
Samsung PN64D550
Epson 6500UB
Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ80U

post #400 of 776 Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

What the hell...?
I had brightness fluctuation problems (not just the regulat APL based TRC scaling, aka "brightness pops" but something else too), and a Samsung technician just replaced my main board.
This is the one which stores all the settings, so I had to change the model number from D550 to D7000 again. After that I tried to restore my settings but the picture didn't look good, so I decided to recalibrate it. But... I struggeled a bit with the calibration but the charts eventually looked perfect. However, my picture is still distorted. The grascale looks OK, but the gamut emulations fails badly. The 75% points are on their place but the darker shades are still over-saturated while the bright shades are very under-saturated.

It is very strange, because the firmware version on the replacement board was about as old as the one which came with the original main board when I bought the TV and they seemed to be identical.

I don't know what to do. I can't ask the technician to get my old main board back.
I hope at least the brightness problem is gone. (I didn't experience it since the technician left but it was always random, sometimes I saw it many times a day and sometimes days passed without it...)

post #401 of 776 Old 09-24-2011, 02:56 PM

can anyone give me your gaming settings? im playing my xbox 360 in pc mode and my settings are
pcuture mode: standar
cell light 18
contrast:80
brightness: 61
sharpness: 47
color 50
all advanced settings are off or standar.

with this settings the games looks good (gears of war 3) but i think it can look better. tanks for help.
post #402 of 776 Old 09-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Set the Xbox to output Full Range RGB (it suits both the GPU in your console and your TV in this mode).

Enter into the Service Menu while your XBox is turned on (the TV must be in PC mode when you turn it off and still receive 60Hz signal when you turn it on with the SM key sequence to remain in PC mode).

Reset the base WB calibration settings (set all the eight White Balance values to 128 ; but don't forget to take a picture first).

Adjust your ADC Results (the last six non-zero values) as follows: 237 237 237*** 12 12 12 (This is required because the default values clip the nominal range a little bit.)
*** I am not sure about the first three values. I am in the middle of the calibration (I got a new main board yesterday, see me earlier post), so I don't want to enter into the SM to take a look until I finished and backed up my final Movie mode settings (entering the SM resets everything). You can leave them as they are now (it's not that bad) or figure it out for yourself with trial and error method or wait a bit. (You must increase the higher values a bit.)

Standard
CL/C/B/S 12 90 46 50
gamma -1
RGB Offsets 20 18 14
RGB Gains 27 25 26
Warm2
HDMI Black - Normal

Pixel Shift - OFF (won't really help to prevent IR/BI but you only get 1:1 pixel mapping if this is OFF...)

This is only for dark rooms, by the way... but I assume every D550 user have light controlled room as this TV is practically a mirror without AR filter...

post #403 of 776 Old 09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

I finally managed to calibrate my TV with the new main board.

I had to use Small APL patterns for both the gray-sale and color gamut adjustments and I had to measure the color gamut at 100% levels to get color gradients to look reasonable.

The CMS henceforward seems to be non-linear but it's not disturbing with actual movie or game image contents if I do the calibration as described above.
I wonder if the upper models (like a real D7000) have this non-linear behavior too (I guess they do). I think it was always here with the "unlocked D550" and it was only a coincidence that last time my calibration looked OK (as much as now) using window patters. (And I am not sure, but I guess I did my last calibration with the 1023 or even older firmware on the old main board and the last 1024 update was supposed to improve the picture quality, so it could also make a little difference...)

post #404 of 776 Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM

so i also get a calibration error for av but i have a plasma samsung pn59d550 series and i have read that it only messed up the brightness and the contrast at i point where u have to have cell light and contrast all the way up so if this is the only issue its not tooooo bad could be worse can any1 verify this cuz thats what i have read but then i guess ppl who have other sets it messes up their colors or something like that can any1 explain if im correct cuz my colors are fine and i went and found some1 who posted their setting and i use them and the contrast is way brighter now even though i have a failure in av lolz
post #405 of 776 Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Pixel Shift - OFF (won't really help to prevent IR/BI but you only get 1:1 pixel mapping if this is OFF...)

You sure about this? I have pixel shift turned on in PC mode. It appears to still be in screen fit. It looks 1:1, there's no overscan. I also now suffer from burn-in and from looking at the edges of the burn-in it appears pixel shift was not working. If it doesn't work in PC mode it should be greyed out, because now I'm looking at some nasty burn in. 48 hours of screen wipe and it's still not gone.
BTW this is Gears of War 3, TV in PC mode, in 3D, I got burned.
post #406 of 776 Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

I didn't play too long in 3D, I just barely tested the 3D gaming. 720p 2x60Hz or SBS/TB 3D looks awful for me when compared with real 1080p 3D (my PC really does the rendering in 1080p) but the highest possible refresh rate is 30Hz with 1080p resolution which isn't sufficient for gaming.

But I played a lot in 2D mode with games which feature almost-constant HUD elements.
I experienced numerous minor and a few long persistent IR ghost images from game HUDs when my panel was young (<1000 hours) but I never managed to temporarily burn in anything and I can't even imagine how I could possibly cause long persistent IR now with 1000+ hours during reasonable usage (24 hours of continuous gaming may do it but it would also hurt my eye and my brain, so...).

I suppose some people use too low brightness settings for "break-in" and they rush to play games with higher settings after 200 hours or so. But I tell you, this panel requires more than 200 hours of massive break-in (like slide-shows with high peak brightness settings - I mean hight Cell Light, high Contrast and low Brightness setting to produce low MLL and high peak white...) to really get settled in. Otherwise, you should be careful with gaming until you pass ~1000 hours.

post #407 of 776 Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM

If I gamed now while the panel is young, and ran the 200 hour break-in afterwards, wouldn't that be the same net difference if I ran the break-in first?

I mean what is the difference regarding the sequence?

I understand that IR is noticable while the panel is young, because of the relative age of all pixels. The pixels of a game HUD would be used more, and the age of those pixels would be higher than the rest = result is temporary burn-in. But if I put in an 200 hours of break-in after the effect, the HUD pixels would still be used more but there relative age wouldn't be as drastically different then the rest. Meaning the burn-in should be less noticable. Follow me?

This is the same net result as running 200 hours of break-in before gaming.
post #408 of 776 Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 AM

janos, any idea if pixel shift works in PC mode? Because in standard mode, pixel shift is disabled when the picture size is set to screen fit.
but in PC mode it's seems to be forced to screen fit. yet pixel shift is not greyed-out. Although I can't tell if its working.

EDIT: after some inspection I noticed the screen does move a bit even in PC mode. How it accomplishes this without overscan I'm not sure.

There is definitely no pixel shift in 3D mode though.
post #409 of 776 Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

I guess it clips some lines and/or rows on the edges.

Yes, I understand. But it's not that simple. The ghost image effect of the uneven plasma cell aging is more problematic during the early few hundred hours because the cells change faster.
For example (fictive numbers), you display an image with all white left and all black white sides. 10 hours of uneven aging causes 0.1 cd/m^2 relative difference between the two sides of the panel if you do it between 100 and 110 hours but it only causes 0.04 if you do it between 1000 and 1010 and 0.01 between 10000 and 10010. So, a "burn-in" which happens from 10 hours of usage between 100 and 110 hours may require 100 hours of "screen washing" between 1000 and 1100 hours. That's why you shouldn't cause burn-in or heavy IR while the panel is young. (And it will be hard to cause with an older panel anyway.)

If the panel is still <1000 hours and you still have ghost images from the HUD then you should try to run a few days of the built-in "scrolling bars" before you go back gaming.

post #410 of 776 Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, even better to display a fullscreen 100% white image on it for a few days.
Now I remember that I used an image like this as a "screensaver" when I played approximately 36 hours of Dragon Age 2 somewhere between 300 and 400 hours and the static HUD elements left some noticeable IR. This is a role playing game, so I was a "maniac" until I finished every quests, no matter if I had to fight with my new display. (I mean I took breaks and left the room from time to time, I just didn't want watch any movies or play anything else until I finished this game. It took more than a week to finish the 36 hours of the story. But my PC time was exclusive to this...) So, I made an image like this in PhotoShop and I put it up when I left the room.
It cleared up the ghost images faster than the "scrolling bars", so I could kill more darkspawns that day .

post #411 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Hey everyone

I decided to give this a try, afterwards noticing it's not that easy with EU model. Now I can't get it back to starting point, at first the picture was way too black and now it's full of magenta - can't find any setting to get it better

Could anyone help or give clues how could I fix this?

Thanks
post #412 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

I have an EU model (made in Hungary).

I had to choose D7000, other model names don't work. The internal media player is unusable after the renaming but everything else seems to work fine.

When do you see bad thing? May be it's a bad idea to copy the settings from US calibrations.

Did you do anything else in the SM?

post #413 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 AM

The whole pic is filled with magenta, every mode and every input.
I got the nordic model, been trying to find someone to give the original settings but people just don't seem to care about helping out.

Pardon me, but SM=?
post #414 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Could anyone post their default d550 service menu settings? I'm getting kinda desperate with my tv... Would be much appreciated.
post #415 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

SM - Service Menu

Let's start it from the beginning.

You entered into the Service Menu and what exactly did you do next?

If you did nothing else but changed your model number from D550 to [any] then:
1: You shouldn't have problems like this
2: Changing the model number back to D550 should return everything back to normal

I suppose you accidentally hit something while you were in the Service Menu.
My best guess is that you hit the "HDMI Calibration" or you messed up your ADC Results and/or White Balance settings manually. These problems can be solved easily, but I need to know what exactly happened...

If you are sure that you did nothing wrong (either intentionally or accidentally) then try to set your model number back to D550, hit the "Factory Reset" and power ON the TV to see if the problem is solved.

By the way, I posted a lot of pictures of my Service Menu, but do NOT start to copy them! You can compare them with your settings and list the differences.

Or take pictures of your actual settings and I will be able to tell you if something is obviously wrong...

post #416 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:

SM - Service Menu

Let's start it from the beginning.

You entered into the Service Menu and what exactly did you do next?

If you did nothing else but changed your model number from D550 to [any] then:
1: You shouldn't have problems like this
2: Changing the model number back to D550 should return everything back to normal

I suppose you accidentally hit something while you were in the Service Menu.
My best guess is that you hit the "HDMI Calibration" or you messed up your ADC Results and/or White Balance settings manually. These problems can be solved easily, but I need to know what exactly happened...

If you are sure that you did nothing wrong (either intentionally or accidentally) then try to set your model number back to D550, hit the "Factory Reset" and power ON the TV to see if the problem is solved.

By the way, I posted a lot of pictures of my Service Menu, but do NOT start to copy them! You can compare them with your settings and list the differences.

Or take pictures of your actual settings and I will be able to tell you if something is obviously wrong...

I only changed the model number BUT I'm quite I also clicked hdmi calibration. This shouldn't effect the normal tv picture if I'm correct, but it did.
Also tried to factory settings reset multiple times, no effect.
Here's a link to my settings Pics
Awfully thankful of your help janos666
post #417 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, we found it: HDMI calibration
Now do this (step by step ; and stop experimenting with other dangerous SM options):

Download this image.
Enter into the Service Menu again.
Set your model code to D7000.
Display the checkerboard pattern on your display (using a HDMI input) and hit the HDMI calibration NOW.
When it's finished (shouldn't take too long) then exit with a factory reset and enjoy your TV with the unlocked settings.

post #418 of 776 Old 10-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Ok, we found it: HDMI calibration
Now do this (step by step ; and stop experimenting with other dangerous SM options):

Download this image.
Enter into the Service Menu again.
Set your model code to D7000.
Display the checkerboard pattern on your display (using a HDMI input) and hit the HDMI calibration NOW.
When it's finished (shouldn't take too long) then exit with a factory reset and enjoy your TV with the unlocked settings.

It was easy as that huh
Maybe I'll learn from this and not mess around with the settings anymore.
Again, very many thanks to you janos666 for your selfless help.
post #419 of 776 Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 AM

hi
i have the model ps51d530.
this model is identical with the 550 except it has no 3d, the panel is the same.
so can i also unlock the advanced settings?
ive tried the secret code (mute 1-8 ...)but there was no effect oO
so i ask mysekf why?
its the same model,basically?
pls could u help me?
thx
post #420 of 776 Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I haven't been to this thread in a while. Has the fluctuating brightness been corrected on new builds of this TV (PNxxD550), or are they still coming from factory with the brightness issue and fixed with a board swap by request? ...or is it a software upgrade/service menu fix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website)

Video Contributor

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung Ln40d550 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page