post #31 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 View Post

ok so what you are saying exgo with 2 sources you plug them in hdmi port 2 and 4 on the tv? Than you can plug a third in port 3 on the tv? Does hdmi port 1 work too?

or you saying the thing you plug in port 4 doesnt actually work it just enables port 2 and 3 to work so port 1 and 4 dont work but port 2 and 3 do work?

Blwn is Correct. I have 3 ports hooked up. I have access to any 2 i choose so i just use one as an idle port.

I am loving my set now BTW!! it's awesome.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Exgo,

Thanks for the help. I am about to buy a 550 TV and I have an HDMI receiver that I plug the DTV and PS3 into so there will only 1 HDMI connected to the TV. If I plug in a device to another HDMI port that I dont plan on using, does that device have to be powered on all the time for the primary HDMI port to work?

Would just plugging in a cable trick it since I have extra HDMI cords.

What dummy device would you suggest if that is necessary.

Oh and good job on this one man.
post #33 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am thinking you could use your AVR plugging in to circumvent the process.

I think blwn has done this.. but i have to re-read what he wrote in page 1.

I don't think the device has to be on. but it has to have an EDID signal.

but.. more testing just needs to be done.

the thing is.. it's totally doable. and this is great!

i'm sure more workarounds will be found.

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #34 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM

I was thinking you can get an hdmi splitter for next to nothing. Hdmi cords are cheap.
This is what I am going to do. I prefer everything to run through my avr so I'm gonna split off my hd cable box. Run one to my avr the other to port 2 on my tv. Then the cable that runs from my avr to my tv will go in port 4 and viola. Easiest route I think IMO.
post #35 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwn281 View Post

I was thinking you can get an hdmi splitter for next to nothing. Hdmi cords are cheap.
This is what I am going to do. I prefer everything to run through my avr so I'm gonna split off my hd cable box. Run one to my avr the other to port 2 on my tv. Then the cable that runs from my avr to my tv will go in port 4 and viola. Easiest route I think IMO.

i decided to use another source.. my Laptop thru hdmi.

I was using my laptop with HDMI as the idle port.. but needed it because this set won't play some of my SBS h264 mkv ac3 files for 3d.. so i play through my laptop.

I plugged port 1 into the avr output port.. with nothing plugged into my avr inputs.. and then port 3 i plugged in my laptop.

voila! i have my 3 sources working great!

post #36 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

A cable between two HDMI ports won't do the trick, I just tried (and I only want to inform you to don't waste your time...).

I don't think it needs an EDID but connection between some pins only. Something which could be emulated by connecting the pins with a simple resistor.
This is a DVI->D-sub(VGA) adapter which emulates a display (so the OS turns on the GPU).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #37 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

A cable between two HDMI ports won't do the trick, I just tried (and I only want to inform you to don't waste your time...).

I don't think it needs an EDID but connection between some pins only. Something which could be emulated by connecting the pins with a simple resistor.
This is a DVI->D-sub(VGA) adapter which emulates a display (so the OS turns on the GPU).

i just have 3 devices plugged in.

then use the output on my AVR (hdmi out) to cover the idle port so i can have 3 hdmi ports working.

I am just matrixing the sound through the d550 to my avr through optical.. and have analog 5.1ch going from HDA1 to my AVR for lossless sound.

Since my ps3 doesn't do lossless it doesn't matter for me.. so i can just go thru the tv for 2.1ch or thru optical that gives me 5.1 dd .

post #38 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Call me a moron, but i need a diagram or drawing for me to figure out this connectivity to the HDMI ports on the TV issue for this advanced calibration setup.
post #39 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 PM

nah ur not a moron the whole hdmi port thing im not really understanding either.
post #40 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 PM

This is how I set it up. And when in use hdmi 4 is used as if it where hdmi 2. 2 does not work for signal. 4 will if you if you have 2 hooked up to some sort of hdmi power (idle source). Basically you have to give hdmi 2 a signal even though nothing will come through on your screen to make hdmi 4 work.
LL
post #41 of 776 Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

basically.

if you plug 2 in.. you can have 1 device.

plug 3 devices in you can use 2 device.

plug 4 devices you can have 3 device.

the 4th is just used as an idle.. as in.. something you have access to use. but don't need.. like a HD SAT box or cable box.. that has component and hdmi.. just use it for idle..

then in turn you have access to any of the 3 ports that aren't the idle one.

and vice-versa if you only have 2 devices then you need a 3rd device ((idle))plugged in so u can use both 1,2.

but of course the actual labels of the ports get messed up.. so u have to re-label them.

basically plug 4 devices in.. then check what ones are working in the source menu.

then mix and match so u have all the devices on the ports that you need.

post #42 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

A quick question for those who renamed their TVs:
Did it unlock any other 3D formats like checkboard or interlaced?

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #43 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

A quick question for those who renamed their TVs:
Did it unlock any other 3D formats like checkboard or interlaced?

those are legacy. pretty much only old tv's support those formats now.

so no.

top bottom/ sbs 2d-3d.

it unlocked advanced 10pt

but it did unlock a 3d CMS. I am looking into the firmware situation now.

I want to see if i can put the actual firmware from a 7k on this unit.

i need to analyze it first and stuff. but it might be totally doable. and if that is so.. then we can have all the functions of the smart tv etc.

so???

Has any one else done this??

how is the calibration looking?

post #44 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 04:40 PM

I'll be doing this soon. Just waiting on an hdmi splitter so I can run all my functions through my avr and still have an idle port. I would LOVE it if we could get all the smart functions. That would be amazing!!!
post #45 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 05:11 PM

All the best eXgo,......if only u could change a d550 to a d7000,....that would be simply extraordinary....so all the best for the job!
post #46 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM

It really is possible. Especially to a 6500. They are made with the same panel. The rest is just software. You already can unlock the 10pt Cali and more. When you go to the menu (help) it looks just like the samsung smart. Please figure this out lol
post #47 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwn281 View Post

It really is possible. Especially to a 6500. They are made with the same panel. The rest is just software. You already can unlock the 10pt Cali and more. When you go to the menu (help) it looks just like the samsung smart. Please figure this out lol

yes, i am going to investigate the firmware. I just have to wait until they release one for the d550 and d6500 so i can hex them up and.

i have allready convinced 2 friends to get this set over the more expensive ones.

since my friend that is a calibrator has light controlled room like me.. Now that we have 10 point advanced pro calibration options and expert patterns.

w00t!

it's up to us buds!

let's keep this thread alive! We all with these sets are on to something big! we have something that is as good as the 3k models and now it is inching to them minus the AR filter.. but pq wize with the Advanced Calibration! we are on to something HUGE..

We HAVE to keep this THREAD alive buds!!!! Get more attention and folks experimenting.. We need more enthusiasts to get on board the d550 train.

but for now we have a small and loyal following.

I will update the main post when we all get going with our calibrations.. and results. I need to get my friend over with his calibration tools.. It would be also great if one of us could get a professional calibrator to calibrate with 10pt calibration ya digs?

it's up to us.. We will pave the way for lots of folks who will hopefully google this thread in the future or on this site because they are researching the best set on the market for CASH/PQ. and come here and read our results.

for the future!!!

-dex

post #48 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There. I updated and cleaned up the first post in the thread with detailed instructions and detailed info on the HDMI port crossmatch issue.

Also added detailed calibration settings for the best settings i've found.. with a couple tweaks you can use if you wish. Also added my best 3d settings too.

enjoi.

post #49 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 PM

I'm really interested in giving this a go, as soon as I find a second active hdmi source to unlock a port to use for my bd-d6500.

Do you all think that the settings work work well for the 51 inch. I have read that they may be slightly different from the larger panels.

My screen looks so damn good after I did a few minor tweaks with my untrained eye in the standard menus. I can't wait to see what even better looks like.
post #50 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylorist View Post

I'm really interested in giving this a go, as soon as I find a second active hdmi source to unlock a port to use for my bd-d6500.

Do you all think that the settings work work well for the 51 inch. I have read that they may be slightly different from the larger panels.

My screen looks so damn good after I did a few minor tweaks with my untrained eye in the standard menus. I can't wait to see what even better looks like.

i have the 51" bud. it's awesome!

just wait until you see what the full isf calibrated settings look like when you key in the one at the first post of the thread.

i kid you not. it will BLOW YOU AWAY!.

post #51 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

i have the 51" bud. it's awesome!

This put quite the smile on my face.
post #52 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 PM

eXgo..my friend...u r really going great guns....u live so much.away..otherwise,i personally would have come to u & congratulated for the same!...i too have the 51d550 like u & hence so much interested to know ur R&D findings on the f/w upgradtion of d550 to d7000 & incorporate the Smart hub feature!.....i am in special lookout on this thread...so keeping the thread alive & bringing ur fabulous job to the proper focus of the experts would be a high priority from me too.Though it mightn't not be possible to mod by me, but'm really interested to hear all the developments from u!
All cheers mate!
post #53 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:

This put quite the smile on my face.

I've got a 64" love it. Had the 51 before n kinda feel it had better pq then the 64 but I love the size
post #54 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Any pic showcasing the upgrade?
post #55 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Any one have a suggestion for the cheapest possible hdmi signal source. Can't find a cheap splitter that looks dependable.
post #56 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any one have a suggestion for the cheapest possible hdmi signal source. Can't find a cheap splitter that looks dependable.

check monoprice.

post #57 of 776 Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some pics of my set calibrated with ISF settings.

I'm a crappy photographer and i have a crappy camera

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post #58 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the size.. doesn't do it justice.. but I can assure you guys.. It is Killer for PQ.

post #59 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

Sorry for the size.. doesn't do it justice.. but I can assure you guys.. It is Killer for PQ.

Okay, I am trusting you and buying one tomorrow.
We shall see.
post #60 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 AM

Looks good can't wait to tweak it for a 64 I spend most of my time gamin so I'm going to have to set one of the cali's up for that. I like how you get that relax setting when you change it to the d7000
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung Ln40d550 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page