PNxxD550 advanced calibration unlocked!/Calibration Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Wouldn't it be possible to "change" the unit back to its original model designation (that is, a D550) after you've made the desired changes in the advanced calibration menu? Would the new settings stick? Would the HDMI ports revert to their original configuration? Just wondering...I haven't a clue about these technical matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Wouldn't it be possible to "change" the unit back to its original model designation (that is, a D550) after you've made the desired changes in the advanced calibration menu? Would the new settings stick? Would the HDMI ports revert to their original configuration? Just wondering...I haven't a clue about these technical matters.

I think I read that every time you go into the service menu it resets all your custom settings. You'd be back at square one. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
post #63 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 AM

You can do a factory reset on your tv from the service menu and that will bring it completely back to normal.
post #64 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is a guy selling an old DVD player that has HDMI out on it for $20. Would this be a good device to just leave on to activate the other ports? Would it need to stay on 24/7?
post #65 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM

I believe that would work not sure if it would need to be on or if it could just be on standby
post #66 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbigvolume View Post

There is a guy selling an old DVD player that has HDMI out on it for $20. Would this be a good device to just leave on to activate the other ports? Would it need to stay on 24/7?

yes that would work. and depending how the HDMI port operates.. no i don't believe it has to stay on 24-7.. but don't quote me on that

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #67 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwn281 View Post

Looks good can't wait to tweak it for a 64 I spend most of my time gamin so I'm going to have to set one of the cali's up for that. I like how you get that relax setting when you change it to the d7000

no doubt buds.

I spend a lot of time gaming too. I have different picture settings for that.

that's what I like about relax too and cal-day/night.

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #68 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Yes, you can change it back to D550. If you change it back to D550 all the hdmi ports work as they did from the factory. All the calibration settings revert to factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdlux View Post

I think I read that every time you go into the service menu it resets all your custom settings. You'd be back at square one. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Every time I have been in the Service Menu all my calibration settings revert to factory default.

Quote:

You can do a factory reset on your tv from the service menu and that will bring it completely back to normal.

This is not 100% true. There are some settings in the Service Menu that do not revert to factory when you do a factory reset.

For example: I stupidly hit the HDMI calibration under ADC/WB. It messed up my color and contrast pretty bad and it said failure next to HDMI calibration. Factory Reset did nothing to fix it. I found the settings it changed and reverted it to the the original by looking at the pictures here. I finally was able to fix it 100% by displaying the correct 8x8 checker board pattern on my PS3 while connected to HDMI 1 and running the HDMI calibration again. Finally it said success again next to HDMI calibration.

Also the Expert Mode Setting for the extra CAL Day and CAL Night picture modes is persistant even when you factory reset.

Factory reset also resets how many hours you have on your panel. I had over 300 hours when I did it and it reset to hours.
post #69 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 PM

If it resets your hours I wonder if they can test to see if you did that cause if not that could work in your favor when it comes time that a problem happens with the set. Or work against you who knows. And yes I see what you mean about the Cali-day/night. I still have that.
post #70 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 PM

I wonder what else we can do with that service menu to benefit us. Someone should know someone that could tell us what those different things do.
post #71 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

no doubt buds.

I spend a lot of time gaming too. I have different picture settings for that.

that's what I like about relax too and cal-day/night.

You'll have to send me your settings for gamin. I'd like to see how those turned out. Maybe make assassins creed look even better.
post #72 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll have to send me your settings for gamin. I'd like to see how those turned out. Maybe make assassins creed look even better.

i keep my color space, white balance, and 10 point calibration as in the first post.

then i change the picture to standard.

turn dynamic contrast to low. gamma to +1

brightness to 60

color temp to warm1

contrast to 100

cell light to 18

all else to default

no EE mpeg noise or other artificial setting cept the ones above.

I play FF XIII , GT 5, MK9, SFIV, mVc3, LA Noire... they all look great!

post #73 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:

If it resets your hours I wonder if they can test to see if you did that cause if not that could work in your favor when it comes time that a problem happens with the set. Or work against you who knows. And yes I see what you mean about the Cali-day/night. I still have that.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit of a negative for me that it reset my hours. Luckily I happened to check it before I tried the factory reset. Not that big of a deal though.
post #74 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:

For Posterity in this thread.. if you could post your firmware version that would be great! My firmware is 2011/02/11_001007. you can check the firmware version from "menu, support---software upgrade"

My firmware version is 2011/03/22_001011 (Purchased in US)
post #75 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahozafat View Post

My firmware version is 2011/03/22_001011 (Purchased in US)

i wish we had a way to dump the firmwares. as i don't have any versions that i can find online.

since there are different version revisions.. i wonder what the differences are.

off topic.. but relevant still is the idea that some people that have brightness pops and or poor black levels.. are tied to the firmware versions that he/she has on their series D5 set.

I know for a fact that i don't have a single brightness pop nor fluctuation of any kind to speak of. nor do i have issues with my blackness levels either.

So... throughout mapping out what firmware people have as they hopefully contribute to this our thread.. we can find a correlation between the "pop's" and the firmware that the individual has on his/her set.

post #76 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are hopefully some better pix of my set with good material on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post #77 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

as you can see. i don't have a problem with black levels. my blacks are black

post #78 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:

i wish we had a way to dump the firmwares. as i don't have any versions that i can find online.

since there are different version revisions.. i wonder what the differences are.

off topic.. but relevant still is the idea that some people that have brightness pops and or poor black levels.. are tied to the firmware versions that he/she has on their series D5 set.

I know for a fact that i don't have a single brightness pop nor fluctuation of any kind to speak of. nor do i have issues with my blackness levels either.

So... throughout mapping out what firmware people have as they hopefully contribute to this our thread.. we can find a correlation between the "pop's" and the firmware that the individual has on his/her set.

Yeah I wish we could dump the firmware versions as well. It'd be nice to at least have a backup.

I wonder when they will start offering firmware updates for the US versions?

Have you taken a look at any of the Europeon firmwares?

German PS51D550
UK PS51D550 (have to click on firmware link on that page)

I have noticed that the European Samsung sites are designed much better for the consumer/owner. They have more information/specs and less marketing BS.
post #79 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahozafat View Post

Yeah I wish we could dump the firmware versions as well. It'd be nice to at least have a backup.

I wonder when they will start offering firmware updates for the US versions?

Have you taken a look at any of the Europeon firmwares?

German PS51D550
UK PS51D550 (have to click on firmware link on that page)

I have noticed that the European Samsung sites are designed much better for the consumer/owner. They have more information/specs and less marketing BS.

i haven't checked their firmware yet. no real point until i can check out my own so i have a point of reference.

i like the canadian site my self.. the US site is hard to navigate.

post #80 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I like the Canadian site as well.
post #81 of 776 Old 06-11-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i want to put the d7000 firmware or 6900 firmware on my set to see if it works

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/de...PN51D6900DFXZA

i need to do more checking in the SM.

the problem is i don't want to go back in there because it took me 8 hours getting my set calibrated. and double PQ settings for each input and not to mention game PQ settings.

i did check out the firmwares though.. the PS EU version of our set... but it has a lot of changes i would think for their standards in EU..

i hope we get a firmware soon. because i think it's stupid of sammy to have all these different revs of FW and not have them up on their site or on the network for TV to self upgrade...

although I am very happy with my set in regards to black level and no brightness pops.

post #82 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just came across this thread. I have 59d6500. Is there is benefit for me to make these edits as well?
post #83 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 AM

dear friend eXgo,Thanks a lot for those photo ,but would u care seriously for something...please get urself a better camera with proper focus! Don't get pissed off...i'm saying that bçoz u r making a ton of efforts there & doing a yeomen's service to all & posting pictures whenever u can...but all this efforts & the brilliant picture that the d550 can deliver & more particularly after all the settings unlocked, prove little until u come up with better focussed photos from a proper camera(NOT phone camera).Even if u dont upgrade,borrow one & justify the Excellent work u r doing!..plz take this as a friendly advise!
post #84 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs fanboy View Post

dear friend exgo,thanks a lot for those photo ,but would u care seriously for something...please get urself a better camera with proper focus! Don't get pissed off...i'm saying that bçoz u r making a ton of efforts there & doing a yeomen's service to all & posting pictures whenever u can...but all this efforts & the brilliant picture that the d550 can deliver & more particularly after all the settings unlocked, prove little until u come up with better focussed photos from a proper camera(not phone camera).even if u dont upgrade,borrow one & justify the excellent work u r doing!..plz take this as a friendly advise!

+1
post #85 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i'm using a Canon Rebel SLR, i am no photographer. the set has mad glare.. and i don't have a tripod. not to mention lighting and trying not to use a flash.

the pictures are actually very good. but i figured i'd better not post the full 10+ megapixel pictures here.. so i let imageshack re-size them.

they made them look crappy by zooming into a 2 megapixel.

post #86 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

I just came across this thread. I have 59d6500. Is there is benefit for me to make these edits as well?

that's for you to decide for your own self.

my set has 70% better picture than before 10 point Cal.

post #87 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

that's for you to decide for your own self.

my set has 70% better picture than before 10 point Cal.

My order is in and will be here in a week.
I will try to take some before and after pictures.

Have you tested the DLNA and WIFI features?
post #88 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

My order is in and will be here in a week.
I will try to take some before and after pictures.

Have you tested the DLNA and WIFI features?

no. i use my ps3 media server to stream from my laptop

post #89 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The US and EU models may have slightly different hardware or "core firmware" because the "Expert" menu is grayed out in the SM, even after you change the model number, so Cal-Day/Night can not be turned on from there.

I wish I could test if the "HDMI trick" works on the EU models as well but it turned out that getting a 1$ DVI->HDMI adapter (I got some as VGA card bundles but I left them in the box and I sold the card with the box...) or a cheap broken device (like a broken VGA) with a HDMI port is harder or at least takes longer than I expected.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #90 of 776 Old 06-12-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

The US and EU models may have slightly different hardware or "core firmware" because the "Expert" menu is grayed out in the SM, even after you change the model number, so Cal-Day/Night can not be turned on from there.

I wish I could test if the "HDMI trick" works on the EU models as well but it turned out that getting a 1$ DVI->HDMI adapter (I got some as VGA card bundles but I left them in the box and I sold the card with the box...) or a cheap broken device (like a broken VGA) with a HDMI port is harder or at least takes longer than I expected.

a trick i am using so i can use all 3 ports all day with 1 idle.

Most HD devices have a HDMI and Component outputs. so... use the component outputs for the video for say... a HD SAT receiver. since most SAT Boxes and Cable Boxes do mostly 720p and 1080i @ max... and the max you can generally send over a component cable is 1080i anyway. still a HD signal..

then you could use your hdmi to be the idle... for instance my HD Bell Expressvu Receiver for HD Sat.. outputs simultaneously over the HDMI and Component outputs. so this works good. no changing settings inside the box.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung Ln40d550 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page