post #181 of 776 Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus View Post

Lol. I guess I just prefer a brighter HD cable pq. I watched "The Matrix Reloaded" with the settings you listed and i was definitely impressed. Never seen any picture that crisp and clear. Hopefully someone will come up with settings that make my HD cable look like the picture I see in the big box stores. Thanks again for the professional settings!

no worries bud. i 2 settings profiles for HD SAT. Slightly tweaked.

I did have a professional calibrator come over to help me with the tweaks for HD SAT.

did you try with the sharpness at 20? and the gamma at 0 or +1 this may give you a bit more pop

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 776 Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I cannot get this to work. I've got my AVR with all components going into one HDMI input on my 550 and my laptop plugged into another HDMI port...my idle port.

Maybe I dint know what inputs are what, but all I get is the "No Signal" message...no matter where I plug these cables. About to pull my hair out. Any idea what in the world could be going on?

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #183 of 776 Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I cannot get this to work. I've got my AVR with all components going into one HDMI input on my 550 and my laptop plugged into another HDMI port...my idle port.

Maybe I dint know what inputs are what, but all I get is the "No Signal" message...no matter where I plug these cables. About to pull my hair out. Any idea what in the world could be going on?

Moved everything down a port and now it's saying "Mode not supported. The resolution is not supported on this TV."

So confused.

EDIT: figured out what was wrong. My idiot switch was on. :facepalm: Got it working.

post #184 of 776 Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Moved everything down a port and now it's saying "Mode not supported. The resolution is not supported on this TV."

So confused.

EDIT: figured out what was wrong. My idiot switch was on. :facepalm: Got it working.

glad you figured it out bud. enjoy!

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #185 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

glad you figured it out bud. enjoy!

I'm thinking about changing it back to D550...at least until I can justify paying an ISF calibrator to come out and actually take advantage of the advanced settings. These don't seem very amenable to visual tweaking with only the naked eye and a calibration disc.

Any reason to keep this as a D7000 if I put white balance/10 pt back to off and color space to auto?

post #186 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking about changing it back to D550...at least until I can justify paying an ISF calibrator to come out and actually take advantage of the advanced settings. These don't seem very amenable to visual tweaking with only the naked eye and a calibration disc.

Any reason to keep this as a D7000 if I put white balance/10 pt back to off and color space to auto?

You get the relax picture mode with the d7000 that's good if you do long periods of watching tv.
post #187 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

You are correct. The 10pt gamma/greyscale and Custom color space can only be done correctly with a meter and calibration software.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #188 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:

just go back to the first page and use the settings that are posted.. it will make your picture so much better then the 550 settings.. i have only tryed the first set of settings and it looks so much better, that i have not tryed any others yet.. this weekend i will print some more differant settings and try them to, to see which i like best..
post #189 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime50 View Post
just go back to the first page and use the settings that are posted.. it will make your picture so much better then the 550 settings.. i have only tryed the first set of settings and it looks so much better, that i have not tryed any others yet.. this weekend i will print some more differant settings and try them to, to see which i like best..
The problem with using someone else's settings is that they're for someone else's set. It's highly unlikely that they'll be appropriate for a different set.

I'll pull the trigger eventually and get this thing professionally calibrated. Until then, my TV's going to be a D550.

Regardless, this find is truly amazing and it's great to have the option.

post #190 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Forgive my stupidity here but if these are mass produced in a factory with all of the same parts and firmware and so forth. Why wouldn't settings be similar for everyone across the board. I have always wondered. I understand that they are not of course, but I was wondering if everything is the same (parts wise), then why not?
post #191 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The problem with using someone else's settings is that they're for someone else's set. It's highly unlikely that they'll be appropriate for a different set.

I'll pull the trigger eventually and get this thing professionally calibrated. Until then, my TV's going to be a D550.

they are an ISF calibrator's settings. and they are a great starting place.. trust me. it doesn't take much tweaking from there.

I started there.. but i admit i did have an isf calibrator over.. but just because he is my best friend.. and lives close to me. honestly.. if i didn't have him as a friend.. and had to pay for the calibration. i would have stuck with those settings.. people say that you can't use someone elses settings..

this is untrue.

post #192 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 AM

"The D550 series is IMO the best panel for the PQ/BUCKS! It has virtually the same panel as the higher end models of the Samsung '11 lines. Series 5,6,7,8.

The only thing the 6,7,8 series have is AR filter/RealBlackFilter/10pt Calibration/Smart TV Functions."

I SINCERELY query this. I reckon black levels on the higher-end units will be far superior. And judder where the D550 really suffers (even poorer than LED's I've owned). But not much else to add here. And I'm going off-topic
post #193 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbaddeley View Post

"The D550 series is IMO the best panel for the PQ/BUCKS! It has virtually the same panel as the higher end models of the Samsung '11 lines. Series 5,6,7,8.

The only thing the 6,7,8 series have is AR filter/RealBlackFilter/10pt Calibration/Smart TV Functions."

I SINCERELY query this. I reckon black levels on the higher-end units will be far superior. And judder where the D550 really suffers (even poorer than LED's I've owned). But not much else to add here. And I'm going off-topic

far superior!! lol.

we are talking so little amounts my friend. i mean points of percentages.. lol.. i would say they are far superior than a 10 year old plasma.

but not far superior in this gen.

i mean.. you can notice the difference between a kuro and panny and a sammy no doubt.

but side by side..

black levels funny. i watch my tv.. not the black levels or the judder or the line bleeding or the phosphor trails.

i don't turn it to a blank input and watch the image retention.

i don't turn down the volume and listen to the buzzing.

enjoi the set if you have one.

if you don't.. then find something else to enjoi

black levels are not much different from the models.. but if you read the rest of my post.. you would see the part i wrote about black levels. i don't talk about black levels.. because i think they are a joke.. they freak people out.. they always want meter readings and OMG it's 0135 mll ..

ZOMG.. i am not buying this set!!! cuz last years model was 0127.. lol

When it comes to PQ and CMS and Color Accuracy. this set is freaking great!.. they even are saying this on reviews..

I know the 3d is great. i know the PQ is Great!

i notice no judder.

i am not a picky person. within reason. if there is a big yellow line running down the display i will return it.

if there are 30 dead pixels.. that i can see when my nose is pressed up on the display.. lol i won't return it.. because there is no way you an see them unless you are trying to see them..

i think folks that look for problems find them.

the only difference between the higher end panels is the Real black filter (AR FILTER).

they have the same engine/processor.

the same CMS system as well.

that's why samsung is king this time around.. because they pretty much included everything in the lower end models.

black levels are funny though.

really you can't tell the difference unless you have them side by side.. and like D-Nice said mostly placebo.

yes the smaller panels have less black level.. but we are talking sooo little it's not even funny.. when you are dealing with 00 points of percentages.. lol.

post #194 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:

far superior!! lol.

we are talking so little amounts my friend. i mean points of percentages.. lol.. i would say they are far superior than a 10 year old plasma.

but not far superior in this gen.

i mean.. you can notice the difference between a kuro and panny and a sammy no doubt.

but side by side..

black levels funny. i watch my tv.. not the black levels or the judder or the line bleeding or the phosphor trails.

i don't turn it to a blank input and watch the image retention.

i don't turn down the volume and listen to the buzzing.

enjoi the set if you have one.

if you don't.. then find something else to enjoi

black levels are not much different from the models.. but if you read the rest of my post.. you would see the part i wrote about black levels. i don't talk about black levels.. because i think they are a joke.. they freak people out.. they always want meter readings and OMG it's 0135 mll ..

ZOMG.. i am not buying this set!!! cuz last years model was 0127.. lol

When it comes to PQ and CMS and Color Accuracy. this set is freaking great!.. they even are saying this on reviews..

I know the 3d is great. i know the PQ is Great!

i notice no judder.

i am not a picky person. within reason. if there is a big yellow line running down the display i will return it.

if there are 30 dead pixels.. that i can see when my nose is pressed up on the display.. lol i won't return it.. because there is no way you an see them unless you are trying to see them..

i think folks that look for problems find them.

the only difference between the higher end panels is the Real black filter (AR FILTER).

they have the same engine/processor.

the same CMS system as well.

that's why samsung is king this time around.. because they pretty much included everything in the lower end models.

black levels are funny though.

really you can't tell the difference unless you have them side by side.. and like D-Nice said mostly placebo.

yes the smaller panels have less black level.. but we are talking sooo little it's not even funny.. when you are dealing with 00 points of percentages.. lol.

I agree!
post #195 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
0135 mll. What the hell is that?

If you mean 0.0135 cd/m^2, I'll take it. OTOH, 0.0135 ftL is a different story.

Units do matter.

Larry
post #196 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbaddeley View Post

My colormunki (in adaptive sensor mode) measured 0.06 cd/m^2 on my PS51D550, they measured the same on a PS51D8000.
They used a much better sensor but I still think they can't be too far if they differ at all.
You will find difference between the panel sizes however, bigger Samsung PDPs always have lower MLL.

What judder?
I can't see any judder with any materials (1080i30, 1080i25, 1080p24 with CS). It's much better than my H-IPS LCD was with it's fixed 60Hz panel.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #197 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Do you get better pq with a smaller tv? I have a 64" would I get better pq with a 59?
post #198 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

My colormunki (in adaptive sensor mode) measured 0.06 cd/m^2 on my PS51D550, they measured the same on a PS51D8000.
They used a much better sensor but I still think they can't be too far if they differ at all.
You will find difference between the panel sizes however, bigger Samsung PDPs always have lower MLL.

What judder?
I can't see any judder with any materials (1080i30, 1080i25, 1080p24 with CS). It's much better than my H-IPS LCD was with it's fixed 60Hz panel.

On the 51D8000, typical minimum levels posted by professional calibrators are the same as your measurement. However, on the 64D8000, that reading drops down to about 0.025cd/m^2. My 64D7000 consistently reads about 0.025cd/m^2 using my i1 Lt profiled to my certified i1 Pro.

Larry
post #199 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 PM

I just got my PN51D550 set up two nights ago. Don't have any issues so far. No dead pixels or brightness pops or buzzing. The picture was pretty good right out of the box.
I tweaked it some because it seemed a little warm. 3D is really impressive. I watched Drive Angry last night. And some free on demand via TWC. Sure beats the old 3D.

Are there some settings that anyone has had luck with Without hacking the set?
I really don't want to deal with the whole HDMI thing.

I don't have any problems with this set and would like to wait until it burns in a while before any adv. calibration. Have an LCD this is my first Plasma and I'm happy with it.

Now I have to get some 3D Blu-Rays to watch.
post #200 of 776 Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:

no worries bud. i 2 settings profiles for HD SAT. Slightly tweaked.

I did have a professional calibrator come over to help me with the tweaks for HD SAT.

did you try with the sharpness at 20? and the gamma at 0 or +1 this may give you a bit more pop

I changed the gamma and the sharpness to what you suggested and it does have a brighter look. I'll watch "Transformers" tonight and see how it affects the movie. Either way, I'll just change cal-night strictly for HD tv per the professional settings you suggested and use movie as the original setup for BD. Thanks again, I truly appreciate it.
post #201 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:

but.. you will be in the same boat with the 550 settings unless you get it cailbrated to won't you ? and i understand someone elses settings will not be perfect for my set, But ... they are a whole lot better then the 550 settings that it had before..and i really do not think it will hurt my set, it just won't be the best it could be.. but it is alot closer then when it was a 550, i can see that much.. but each to there own
post #202 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwn281 View Post

I agree!

i totaly agree 2
post #203 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 AM

so there is no chance to make it work if I only have ps3 hooked to my tv by HDMI?
post #204 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM

I am expexting my 59d6500 this week. Could you tell me what this hack would give me that it does not have? I thought the d7000 and d6500 where same except real black filter and contrast ratio
post #205 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 01:58 PM

This hack works best with the d550. Which I am sad to say I have recently returned my 64" my ol lady made me only get the 59" so I got it in a 6500. Kinda choaked. That 5" extra is a huge difference. Didn't think it was that big of a deal. So when I get my basement finished I'll have to go 64"
post #206 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:

This hack works best with the d550. Which I am sad to say I have recently returned my 64" my ol lady made me only get the 59" so I got it in a 6500. Kinda choaked. That 5" extra is a huge difference. Didn't think it was that big of a deal. So when I get my basement finished I'll have to go 64"

Ah women, they never understand the love between a man and his television.
post #207 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdlux View Post

Ah women, they never understand the love between a man and his television.

Nope she doesn't understand it at all. I actually really like the thickness of the 6500. Definitely super nice. But the 64" is just beast. You can't beat that. The only reason I couldn't get the 64" is it would cost an extra $500 for a 4 yr warranty. And with the cost of the $6500 the warranty is included
post #208 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 PM

I'll still post my setting for the 6500 since it's 10pt. As well when I get my basement 64" d550 (completely black hometheatre man cave!) I'll post the settings for that too!
post #209 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll still post my setting for the 6500 since it's 10pt. As well when I get my basement 64" d550 (completely black hometheatre man cave!) I'll post the settings for that too!

how is the pic on your 64" d550 tv on the basement look? good or bad? because i have 2 windows with black out shade on it. i am thinking it is a good tv for the bedroom.
post #210 of 776 Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 PM

If I had to choose between the 64" d550 n the 59" d6500 by far the 550 wins! Easy hands down.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung Ln40d550 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page