1Likes
  • 1 Post By tom669

post #1 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I was hoping someone might be familiar with this issue and give me a little advice. I have a Panasonic 42PZ85U purchased in 2008. I've had nothing but good luck with this TV since it was purchased, but recently I've run into a problem. Intermittently, an approximately 3" yellowish band runs down the screen from top to bottom about a 1/3 of the way across the screen. It appeared two weeks ago during a hockey game, then went away. Interestingly, I didn't see it again until another hockey game (which made me wonder if it was the while ice triggering it), but it's come back since during non-hockey viewing. It reappeared tonight, so there's no doubt in my mind that this isn't just a passing thing, as I fear the frequency and duration are just increasing. Any ideas? is this something I should go directly to Panasonic about? I doubt my warranty is still active, but perhaps they can recommend a course of action.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Had a similar problem with my th-42px80u a few weeks back. Mine was a vertical bar that was transparent purple. It came and went for a week or so until it turned completely black. Called panasonic to see if they would help me out since i only had the tv for 2.5 years. They said to call a service shop and left it at that. The shop wanted like $150 to just come out and diagnose the problem. I said screw it and took it apart myself. Found it to be the one ribbon cable that goes into the buffer board. The problem is that ribbon cable goes into the panel and is not replaceable. I wasn't going to sink any money into the tv when I could buy another for close to the same price. With that said I just purchased a samsung 43" plasma 3d tv for $599.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well that's depressing to hear. Thank you, though, for your response. At least I will know to be wary with any dealings with Panasonic and/or service shops. You would think Panasonic would be more willing to help out in these instances to try and build brand loyalty. I guess I'll find out for myself whether that's the case.
post #4 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverm3s View Post

Had a similar problem with my th-42px80u a few weeks back ... The problem is that ribbon cable goes into the panel and is not replaceable.

Really curious ... how did you determine it was that ribbon cable and not the buffer C-board?

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #5 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM

The problem you are experiencing is not the panel itself, if it were the panel it wouldn't be "straight" lines, it would be all over the place.

Those "flat wires" are in cars, toasters, washing machines, TV, PS3, Xbox and everything else you've bought in the last 15 years. I have an old Kenwood "smash" rack (you know those shelf stereo systems) that is 4 pieces and uses an exterior flat wire to connect the four components together. That thing is at least 15 years old. I'm shocked the flat wire still works.

Anyway, not sure which flat wire the prior poster is talking about, but EVERYTHING in a TV is replaceable. That flat wire probably needs re-soldered to the board. Is it a "cheap fix"? Probably not. My guess is the wire is fine in the TV, just the solder has corroded over. Common problem in EVERY SINGLE FLAT PANEL TV EVER MADE. Even Pioneer Kuro's suffer from corroded flat wire connections.

I have one of the last Hitachi plasma made. It was in warranty when it started having an electrical bug. Mine was a color derivation that started 3 inches from the top of the TV, only affecting the top. It looked "white wash", so to speak. I was in the process of getting in touch with Hitachi for a warranty call on it. I just happened to be meeting with one of my installer contractors and he said his brother repairs TV's. He came over took three screws out of the back...spent 3 minutes and the problem was cured. He charged me $50. But I was lucky. These guys charge anywhere from $80-$150 JUST to show up.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

The problem you are experiencing is not the panel itself, if it were the panel it wouldn't be "straight" lines, it would be all over the place.

Anyway, not sure which flat wire the prior poster is talking about, but EVERYTHING in a TV is replaceable.

That ribbon cable referred to by silverm3s is the flat cable between the actual panel, and the C-board, and is not replaceable because one end of it is attached within the panel itself and is not detachable to replace.

Probably what really went wrong is one of the driver ICs that is embedded within the flat cable (FPC) is defective, and is also not replaceable.

A bad panel can give straight lines or bars, as in this Panasonic diagram:

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #7 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Really curious ... how did you determine it was that ribbon cable and not the buffer C-board?

When I pulled the ribbon cable out of the buffer board the vertical bar that was black turned white. So therefore I know it was that cable. Then with closer inspection to the cable I noticed that the one area on the ribbon cable was fried. Problem here is that ribbon cable is fused in between the panel glass. Kind of stupid if you ask me. You have to throw out a $1000 panel for a $50 part. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if all plasmas are made this way. You think they would make a connector for that area so if the ribbon cable went bad you could replace it.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I pulled the ribbon cable out of the buffer board the vertical bar that was black turned white. So therefore I know it was that cable. Then with closer inspection to the cable I noticed that the one area on the ribbon cable was fried.

Thank you for letting us know.

The part of the cable that was fried, what do you think would have caused that? Was it fried near the IC where it may have gotten overheated? Or, somehow the fried part was rubbing on something and the insulation rubbed away and shorted?

I had read somewhere on the web where someone had repaired that cable by individually running wires around the bad section. They even posted pictures of how they did it. If I can find that thread, I will post it.

Quote:

Problem here is that ribbon cable is fused in between the panel glass. Kind of stupid if you ask me. You have to throw out a $1000 panel for a $50 part.

I found this site interesting, in seeing how and why they bond that ribbon cable into the glass.

post #9 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input and information. So do any of you think my issue could be fixed? I haven't talked to Panasonic yet, but I'm just trying to gather as much infomation as I can, as I figure the more I know about the potential problems I could be facing, the better.

Thanks.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 PM

The IC board(what is creating the blocks in the Panasonic diagram) is replaceable. Is it cheap? No. It is 99% labor. Does the manufacturer condone that type of repair? No they don't, cause they want you to buy a new TV.

With the prices of flat panels dropping (remember just 10 years ago, 50-ish inch rear projection TV's were a minimum of $2000), they are...regrettably, throw away.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...7594260&sr=1-1

The days of "this TV has been around 20 years" is long gone. Yes plasma and LCD both tout 100,000 hours. Do I expect my next TV(which will be a plasma) to make it that long? Not a chance.
post #11 of 27 Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post
Thank you for letting us know.

The part of the cable that was fried, what do you think would have caused that? Was it fried near the IC where it may have gotten overheated? Or, somehow the fried part was rubbing on something and the insulation rubbed away and shorted?

I had read somewhere on the web where someone had repaired that cable by individually running wires around the bad section. They even posted pictures of how they did it. If I can find that thread, I will post it.

I found this site interesting, in seeing how and why they bond that ribbon cable into the glass.
The spot that looked fried wasn't against anything that I could tell. Also the spot that fried was an area that looked to have a hard epoxy spot on it as if it were covering something. I have a picture I'll post later.
post #12 of 27 Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The spot that looked fried wasn't against anything that I could tell. Also the spot that fried was an area that looked to have a hard epoxy spot on it as if it were covering something. I have a picture I'll post later.

A photo would be great! In this thread, it was the embedded IC chip that burnt the ribbon cable. (Sorry for the large pic, but that is what the poster posted)

post #13 of 27 Old 06-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Looking a that pic that was what went bad on mine.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Those are not "impossible" to fix. However, finding a shop that will fix it, honor the repair past the moment it leaves their doorstep...and at a price you are willing to pay...

You probably have a better shot at having a half sibling with Tom Brady(By that, I mean bagging him...Gisele or Bridget)
post #15 of 27 Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

The IC board(what is creating the blocks in the Panasonic diagram) is replaceable. Is it cheap? No. It is 99% labor. Does the manufacturer condone that type of repair? No they don't, cause they want you to buy a new TV.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't understand that mentality. Would Panasonic rather sell me four TVs over 30-40 years, or one that breaks and then I take my business elsewhere. I am very pro-plama and pro-Panasonic (for now), mainly because of my perception of the quality of the product. Having to throw a $1,300 TV away after three years will obviously impact where my dollars go in the future.

Quote:

The days of "this TV has been around 20 years" is long gone. Yes plasma and LCD both tout 100,000 hours. Do I expect my next TV(which will be a plasma) to make it that long? Not a chance.

I still have a 20 year old Panasonic CRT that works fine sitting in my spare bedroom gathering dust. It's amazing to think that this thing will likely outlast my current flatscreen and god knows how many more.
post #16 of 27 Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM

If you think the "disposable TV" is already here...

Wait till OLED takes over. In 5 years(assuming DuPont is telling the truth) they'll be able to produce 150" OLED "sheets" for $500. They'll have "life expectancies" of 20,000 hours...

OLED will kill off LCD first, then DLP...then plasma last.

OLED works "the same" as plasma.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/17/d...-youll-be-wai/

The DuPont changes their story every couple of months. They are waiting for 40,000 hours to bring it to market...
Then the next month they'll say they want to just mass produce them, and make them portable. If they make "roll up and portable", consumers will figure out how to screw them up in transport...then "longevity" won't mean anything.
post #17 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick follow up. I don't think my TV likes hockey. I had several days without the yellow band appearing and then game five 5 of the Stanley Cup and it's back within five minutes. I turn off the TV, change the channel and it's gone. Go back to hockey and it's back. That was Friday night and I haven't seen the yellow band since, and I watched a lot of TV over the weekend (crap weather in the Northeast). So we had the TV on for several hours tonight, no problem, and I just turned the game and within two minutes, it's back! This has moved beyond coincidence. Could the white field of ice be triggering this?
post #18 of 27 Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

^^I had a feeling when I read your posts, and funny enough you mentioned the problem 'only' occurs while watching Hockey games. I had a similar incident, only not as severe as vertical bands but with extreme and yet very 'faint' line bleeds every time I tune to Comedy Central. I would encounter weird horizontal lines on white backgrounds, except the backgrounds weren't snows. I initially though it was heavy image-retentions or burn-ins but as soon as I switch channels, it disappeared! I then realized that the stuff was created by certain broadcast channels. Whenever I switch to the comedy channel I would look at the same place and it would appear most of the time. If it doesn't occur on other channels or sources, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
post #19 of 27 Old 10-25-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 11
I also have the Vertical Yellow bar showing up after the Plasma has been on for about an hour. It shows up on all my connected devices (ATV2, CATV, DVD) except my HTPC. Why is it not happening with the HTPC? It is connected into my Onkyo the same way as everything else, I even tried switching HDMI plugs and it still works.

Sound FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM

Can anyone please help with this, I was going to trash this Plasma but now I'm not so sure. Does a computer give off a different signal maybe?

Sound FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 27 Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 123
More heat from brighter images causes faster expansion, if you sort the problem out quick you can probably avoid a fried panel.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM

Watched the hockey game last night for a few hours on the HTPC and the yellow bar finally re-appeared.

What do you mean by sorting it out, most of what I read says that its not worth getting fixed when you can buy a new Panasonic Plasma for under $800.

Sound FAQ

post #23 of 27 Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post

Watched the hockey game last night for a few hours on the HTPC and the yellow bar finally re-appeared.

What do you mean by sorting it out, most of what I read says that its not worth getting fixed when you can buy a new Panasonic Plasma for under $800.

Depends what your time is worth, would take about 1.5hrs ~ 2hrs to do, basically just need to take set apart and reseat the appropriate connectors.
If you don't feel like fixing it, stick it on craigslist/etc at $100~200 and it will be gone in a few days, you can put that to a new purchase, but please do not trash this TV as it is probably easily fixed!
gregod likes this.
post #24 of 27 Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 PM

I'm pretty handy, so what is "reseat", does that mean soldering something and how do I determine which connector. Is there a Youtube video or something to refer to?

Sound FAQ

post #25 of 27 Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Reseat means to unplug and plug the connector back in.
Pictures of the set and I can show you where to make the re-connection.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM

Tom, thanks for helping me out. I will take it apart and upload some pictures. The tricky part will be allowing enough time (UK 4hr ahead) to disassemble, upload pictures, fix and re-assemble in one day.

Sound FAQ

post #27 of 27 Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post

Tom, thanks for helping me out. I will take it apart and upload some pictures. The tricky part will be allowing enough time (UK 4hr ahead) to disassemble, upload pictures, fix and re-assemble in one day.

PM me and I'll send you service docs. I'm available until at least 8pm today.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page